Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
#749449 05/01/21 06:12 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Would love for the reaction system to be similar to Solasta.... along with just about everything else they did regarding rule implementations and such. <3

EDIT:
Here is the thing about a prompter asking if you want to take a reaction, and if so; what that reaction will be:
It *WONT* make things feel "slow" or stop the pace of the battle. Why not? Because it's on an enemy turn. It will just feel great because even though the enemy is doing things on their turn, suddenly stuff pauses and YOU get a say in the development of the enemy actions! It gives the player agency and control, and that wont feel like "the battle is slowing down" or anything like that, cause these things happen outside your turn.

I *TRULY* wish they implement something like that.

Last edited by andreasrylander; 08/01/21 01:35 AM.
veteran
veteran
+1

Really liking the ability to block an incoming attack with a shield spell.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Heck yeah! The biggest advantage is really that you can make decisions more carefully and on the spot, rather than just relying on randoms procs that happen without your input.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Agreed....Being able to choose *when* to use your reaction (and on *whom*, in some cases - thinking of my paladin with protection) is pretty important, and that is missing in BG3 now. I like this aspect of Solasta....but I imagine many people will complain if they have menus popping up during combat. I think Solasta does allow a time-limited reaction (still with menu though), but I prefer having time to decide what to do rather than being rushed. I

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Haven't played solasta... yet... but can certainly get behind a more faithful implimentation of core rules...

some of the seeming "off hand" changes made to action economy and what is and isn't a standard action dont pass the smell test for simply transitioning tabletop rules to a PC game... and actually detract pretty significantly from what could be... i cant remember even seeing an option for reactions...

Last edited by Llev; 05/01/21 08:24 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
in BG3 reaction spells like featherfall seem to fire when needed, assuming you remember to cast them earlier in the day ;-) So you have no choice - you may (for whatver reason) not wish to use the spell at that point.... Other reactions, I'm not so sure about.... I thought I had used 'protection' for my fighter, which should be a reaction....if I recall correctly that does impose disadvantage on a nearby attacker of an ally - but you can't choose which ally to spend it on in a turn, which is bad.

Yes, let's make BG3 like Solasta...........................................

M
M
+1

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by bullse

That's not at all what I wrote or even implied.

veteran
veteran
No, clearly it's a straw man of your position.

But it's not that far from my position -- I want the two games to merge. Solasta is really, really ugly and badly voice but combat is a blast. BG3 is lovely, has some good roleplay options and the NPC stories look really promising.

Buuuut the devs need to have more confidence in the DnD ruleset.

I want to play a DnD game that looks good, has a story, an open world and many different ways to complete tasks. Right now I see parts of what I want in two different games.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by bullse
Glad im not the only one ...
Solasta this, Solasta that, Solasta good, you bad. -_-

It really starts to feel like advertising bots sometimes. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I would like much more control of my reactions.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
No, clearly it's a straw man of your position.

But it's not that far from my position -- I want the two games to merge. Solasta is really, really ugly and badly voice but combat is a blast. BG3 is lovely, has some good roleplay options and the NPC stories look really promising.

Buuuut the devs need to have more confidence in the DnD ruleset.

I want to play a DnD game that looks good, has a story, an open world and many different ways to complete tasks. Right now I see parts of what I want in two different games.

This. I want BG3 and Solasta to have a baby.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I definitely want reactions RAW. Especially with spells like Shield. What good is having an Abjurer subclass nerfed on hp and no Shield spell. Basically you leave Wizard with only one option, a blaster. That is NOT what a D&D Wizard is designed for. It's the least effective way to play a 5e Wizard. And the most boring. Sorcerers and Warlocks are better blasters anyway.

But with casual players complaining about the length of combat, I seriously doubt we'll see anything close to the 5e reaction system in BG3. Shame frown

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Merlex
I definitely want reactions RAW. Especially with spells like Shield. What good is having an Abjurer subclass nerfed on hp and no Shield spell. Basically you leave Wizard with only one option, a blaster. That is NOT what a D&D Wizard is designed for. It's the least effective way to play a 5e Wizard. And the most boring. Sorcerers and Warlocks are better blasters anyway.

But with casual players complaining about the length of combat, I seriously doubt we'll see anything close to the 5e reaction system in BG3. Shame frown
The length of combat wouldn't be an issue if it weren't so boring. This is largely down to enemies taking way too long to make decisions, but getting to make decisions about reactions could help a bit.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by grysqrl

The length of combat wouldn't be an issue if it weren't so boring. This is largely down to enemies taking way too long to make decisions, but getting to make decisions about reactions could help a bit.

I would have to agree with you on this one here

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69

I would have to agree with you on this one here

I agree too!

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E

Enemies will get faster at making their decisions as Larian has more time to upgrade the AI. The speed at which they think now shouldn't be taken into account when deciding major game design choices.

G
addict
addict
G
Oh, there are plenty of reasons why I find combat boring right now. Speed is just a big one. And I'd like to think that they know it's an issue, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil - if we talk about it here, there's a greater chance that it gets prioritized.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh, there are plenty of reasons why I find combat boring right now. Speed is just a big one. And I'd like to think that they know it's an issue, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil - if we talk about it here, there's a greater chance that it gets prioritized.

Not only that but it takes forever to load the game

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard