Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
old hand
old hand
Yeah exactly! Otherwise it just becomes repetitive!

old hand
old hand
The backstab thing is another weird one really. I know it's "turn-based" but it's still supposed to reflect a fight happening, and no enemy would let you "circle them" to "backstab them". I much prefer having an ally close to the enemy giving you the ability to sneak attack, and that's it. Swashbucklers and Inquisitives are subclasses that can get sneak attack without having to have an ally close or having an advantage.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
The backstab thing is another weird one really. I know it's "turn-based" but it's still supposed to reflect a fight happening, and no enemy would let you "circle them" to "backstab them". I much prefer having an ally close to the enemy giving you the ability to sneak attack, and that's it. Swashbucklers and Inquisitives are subclasses that can get sneak attack without having to have an ally close or having an advantage.

Exactly. The flanking rule implies a person cannot fully defend themselves if they are being assaulted from opposite sides. If only one person is attacking, surely you can turn with the person.

The 5e rule requires opposite sides for flanking but to make it simple in the game, just require two foes in melee range and both get advantage. It’s simple, tactical and more realistic and reduces the silly jumping while maintaining action economy.

G
addict
addict
G
5e rules don't actually have flanking at all, but some form of house rules for flanking is pretty common. The most common I've seen is that flanking attackers get advantage, which sometimes feels a little too strong. I play in some games where flanking attackers get +1 or +2 on their attack rolls, which feels a lot more reasonable. Advantage is a pretty big deal to give away that easily (not that it's always easy).

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by grysqrl
5e rules don't actually have flanking at all, but some form of house rules for flanking is pretty common. The most common I've seen is that flanking attackers get advantage, which sometimes feels a little too strong. I play in some games where flanking attackers get +1 or +2 on their attack rolls, which feels a lot more reasonable. Advantage is a pretty big deal to give away that easily (not that it's always easy).

It’s a variant rule in the DMs Guide. I think it depends. In TT I wouldn’t give advantage if two guys were standing right next to each other. But opposite sides? I can see that.

Three guys surrounding you? Absolutely.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

It’s a variant rule in the DMs Guide. I think it depends. In TT I wouldn’t give advantage if two guys were standing right next to each other. But opposite sides? I can see that.

In the DMs Guide you have to be on the opposite sode to have advantage. That make sense but I guess it's not gonna solve the kangaroo problem.

The best solution should probably be :

- opposite side
- and jumping rework
-> bonus action if they want but not possible while engaged + not mixed with disengage.
I could only have said "not mixed with disengage" but seriously, I can't see those jump at every turn anymore.

That's terrible in such a game and they have to find something to avoid players from jumping that much in combats. It looks totally ridiculous.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/01/21 06:25 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

In the DMs Guide you have to be on the opposite sode to have advantage. That make sense but I guess it's not gonna solve the kangaroo problem.

The best solution should probably be :

- opposite side
- and jumping rework
-> bonus action if they want but not possible while engaged + not mixed with disengage.
I could only have said "not mixed with disengage" but seriously, I can't see those jump at every turn anymore.

That's terrible in such a game and they have to find something to avoid players from jumping that much in combats. It looks totally ridiculous.

Yeah agreed!!!

addict
addict
Same in my games (as a player). It is a popular homebrew (+2 for Flanking) especially after some D&D Youtubers made it more popular (which is where my DMs saw it).

Reason : both players and DMs felt flanking was too easy to get Advantage on NPCs that easily end-up outnumbered. In 3.5, running around someone could provoke an AoO, so there was a risk in some cases.

Last edited by Baraz; 10/01/21 06:11 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Baraz
Same in my games (as a player). It is a popular homebrew (+2 for Flanking) especially after some D&D Youtubers made it more popular (which is where my DMs saw it).

Reason : both players and DMs felt flanking was too easy to get Advantage on NPCs that easily end-up outnumbered. In 3.5, running around someone could provoke an AoO, so there was a risk in some cases.

They could also give a +2 to attack rolls from higher ground, instead of advantage. Would be so much more fair for melee characters and make it easier on the squishy mages and such.

old hand
old hand
Yup, changing the advantages from advantage to 1 or 2 attack bonus have been one of the most suggested alterations I think.

It mirrors the +2 and +5 to AC one can get from cover in tbt. +2 for a small advantage and +5 (Advantage in mathe-mechanical terms means an average bonus of +5) for a big advantage.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Dexai
Yup, changing the advantages from advantage to 1 or 2 attack bonus have been one of the most suggested alterations I think.

It mirrors the +2 and +5 to AC one can get from cover in tbt. +2 for a small advantage and +5 (Advantage in mathe-mechanical terms means an average bonus of +5) for a big advantage.

Would love to test it out in EA.

old hand
old hand
Same!!!

old hand
old hand
Apart from the rulesets and enemies, classes certainly have great differences from the PHB too, which sucks a lot. I sincerely hope they're going to change all that.

S
addict
addict
S
Apart from the rulesets and enemies, classes certainly have great differences from the PHB too, which sucks a lot. I sincerely hope they're going to change all that.

I think what we have is what we’ll get. There will be some tweaks but the core system is set and won’t change much. People say it’s EA so lots can change but this point in development, there won’t be sweeping changes. Well unless Larian is willing to spend another couple of years changing stuff.

I’m going to try to be more realistic with my suggestions.

S
addict
addict
S

Yes. This feels like an alpha proof of concept....

veteran
veteran
Not sure what you're talking about but if I have MANY complaints about combats and the rules of BG3/D&D, according to me what they did with classes features is pretty good.

They removed what is obviously uninterresting for the video game and replace them by pretty good and balanced things.

I'm worried about the "disengage as a action bonus" for everyone because I think it should only be a rogue feature... But don't have any other exemple of totally WTF and/or broken things.

There are also a few details that are not totally accurate and sometimes a few bugs but I didn't notice really annoying things.

Do you have exemples in mind ?

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
L
addict
addict
L
I'm worried about the "disengage as a action bonus" for everyone because I think it should only be a rogue feature... But don't have any other exemple of totally WTF and/or broken things.

The most WTF thing for me is the bonus action shove anyone can do every round, and how OP it is. And then mage hand being able to do it is even more WTF.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

The most WTF thing for me is the bonus action shove anyone can do every round, and how OP it is. And then mage hand being able to do it is even more WTF.

I do agree with both points. Also, when you shove, you can only shove them away, but you can't shove them prone. smirk

veteran
veteran
Oh sorry, I "kind of" agree with that.
Andrea talked about classes so I thought you were talking about specific issues.

old hand
old hand
I don't like the implementation of rogue right now, and many class features either don't work as they should in the PHB, or they make little sense as they've changed. I don't know, I just expected the very thing they promised: a very true DnD 5th edition experience. They haven't really delivered on that, tbh. Well, not yet. But I sure hope they will make many more changes as the EA continues.

Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard