Next Thread
Print Thread
L
log0nEx Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
As far as I can remember I don't believe riding dragons was possible. They are notorious for being difficult to approach in the history of Baldur's Gate 2. I hope the explanation will not come from the fact that bipeds have learned to breed dragons from an early age. It would be really too simple to explain. In my opinion, that really requires exceptional facts to allow this ... I'm just afraid of being disappointed by a possible contradiction between their reputation so well known in previous baldur's gates and seeing them overlapped in the cutscenes and in the current endlevel of the early access.... It may be necessary to write a story that explains this unexpected experience lootable on one or more books .... Doesn't it ?

Is there an explanation already thought somewhere about that ?

W
veteran
veteran
W
The Baldur’s Gate games take place in the Forgotten Realms setting. In the FR dragon riding githyanki have been a thing for a long time.

old hand
old hand
The Githyanki God-Queen, long ago, made a pact with Tiamat, the Goddess of Evil Dragons, and was gifted a steady supply of young dragons for her champions (or so an ingame loading screen text informs me). The dragons likely absolutely hates it, but probably don't have a choice in the matter.

It would be fun if you can eventually approach the dragon somehow to show it is not just some mindless destrier they ride.

Last edited by Dexai; 08/01/21 09:29 PM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
This is all lore compliant. The Githyanki lich-queen made a pact with Tiamat and now there's an alliance between red dragons and the Githyanki species. Red dragons, usually younger ones, allow Githyanki to ride them on their raids into the material world so they can accumulate experience and wealth, while Githyanki benefit in the form of having awesome dragon mounts.

There's usually a small degree of mutual respect between rider and dragon. The Githyanki do not own them like a human would a horse. It is more like a partnership.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by Dexai
The Githyanki God-Queen, long ago, made a pact with Tiamat, the Goddess of Evil Dragons, and was gifted a steady supply of young dragons for her champions (or so an ingame loading screen text informs me). The dragons likely absolutely hates it, but probably don't have a choice in the matter.

It would be fun if you can eventually approach the dragon somehow to show it is not just some mindless destrier they ride.
Can we soul bound with the dragons? smile

L
log0nEx Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Dexai

Yes, and it would also be fun to give personalities to some iconic dragons through their special oral speeches. I think that not all dragons are dependent on this pact, and that the place of certain dragons more emblematic than others will be respected.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
In BG2, some of the Dragons were unapproachable and had an air of mystery to them given their rareness, however, the Lich queen Vlaakith has a very long standing deal with Tiamat (the evil goddess of all dragons), which allows Githyanki (mainly the knights of Githyanki society) to ride them. They are mainly younger red dragons eager to gain experience on the material plane. It is Forgotten Realms lore compliant, but I know what you mean... BG2 gave a very different impression of dragons.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard