Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hey, I already dispatched the goblin leaders and everything inside the temple and now I want to kill the goblins outside. I already dispatched the group near the fast travel point in the camp, but the second group is about 16 people and that is a bit much. Is there a way to spilt them up again? The problem is, that I can't even nuke them with gunpowder and fire, because they are too far apart.
In my last playthrough, I just left them alone, but now I found the little owlbear and want to save him. And it was made clear, that he won't try to get away until the goblins are gone. So I'm going murderhobo and kill the buggers. I'm already level 4 and have my high elf rogue, SH, Gale and Wyll (with his pet imp). I have gunpowder barrels and other aoe stuff.

I would be grateful for some pointers about positioning (I'm on high ground, so that is fine) and ways to get smaller groups out of the way.

Thank you

Last edited by fylimar; 01/01/21 03:06 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
My two coppers worth..
Clear the barricade area if you haven't already - 3 goblins near the bridge to the courtyard first, then the barricade area (moderately nasty fight, perfectly doable), then you're ready to go. Put your ranged folks up on that wooden bridge, and send one tough type like Lae'zel to tag one of the goblins from max range, and run back to the fight spot. It's a bit of a long run back, but the goblins will show up in ones and twos and threes, so pretty easy picking them off. It does confuse the game a bit, and you may see some initiative roll spam, and flickering enemies, but have patience and you'll get the bulk of the courtyard creatures. Typically a few of them never make it, so you can then head in and finish them off.

It's surprising how often running away is a really good way to start a fight.

Watch for the boulder in the barricade area, Also, the reason I suggest killing the three goblins at the table first is that there is a drum at the barricade area which will summon them.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just saw, that the owlbear is in my camp already, I decided to rest between fights and traveld tehre ander the little fluffball was. I'm still trying to get some of the goblins

Doctor Who
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Nephtu: thanks, but I'm on the other side from that barricade, I was climbing up the balustrade near the waypoint in the camp and from there I did go up to the street above the goblin camp. Maybe I can get the caster and the three gobbos in that area, before the rest joins in.
Makes me wish, I had killed those humans with the dying true soul guy in the woods, when I had the chance. Will do that in my next playthrough.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
Yes, you can probably pick the high area near the courtyard, if you prefer, I've never tried that way but it should work

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok, I've just tried that and it was ridiculously easy. They couldn't reach me with the melee fighters and didn't do a lot of damage (some arrows, but not much). It took me a while, but I cleared the whole courtyard eventually.
I'm glad, I now know, that I can get the owlbear without taking them all on, because I don't know, if I want to do that in every playthrough (but of course I want to save the little fluffball), but it's good to know, that it is doable.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I was there before patch3.
I killed the goblin leaders inside.

- When I came out the owlbear was gone. Also I never had a cut scene in the owlbear cave, it always attacked me on sight. I could also not chase the owlbear in the goblin camp through the maze, even though the goblin told me to do so.
- I went out through the destroyed wall in the upper level. I shot them from the roof and retreated inside when they came close. This resets their position when you come out again. Total cheese.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I had the conversation with the owlbear mummy - I used SH for that, since she has the highest wisdom. The motehr showed me her cub and I left her alone. I always thought, if you leave the mother alive, the cub won't be at the goblin camp, but there he was. I had a bit of luck with my dice rolls, but it sounded to me, that the cub wants to follow me, but is afraid to do so, while the gobbos are there. But after I killed the leaders , he was gone - I was a bit afraid to use aoes in the beginning to not accidently hurting him, but I didn't see him anywhere in the courtyard.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Did anyone finish the owlbear quest?
Like I said, I could not talk with the mother (the kid was with her, I did the Selune quest before trying to talk to her in case it matters). Then I went to the goblin camp and the kid was there. I could not rescue it and I could not chase it through the maze. After beating the goblin bosses it was gone.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Did anyone finish the owlbear quest?
Like I said, I could not talk with the mother (the kid was with her, I did the Selune quest before trying to talk to her in case it matters). Then I went to the goblin camp and the kid was there. I could not rescue it and I could not chase it through the maze. After beating the goblin bosses it was gone.

I just answered that above this post. I did finish the owlbear quest - talked to the mother, found the cub in the courtyard, convinced with animal handling that it is better off with me and after that (I think two rests later) it showed up in my camp. It goes away for a while and then come back to bring some gifts or let you treat it's injured paw.
I did kill the mother at first, but then reloaded, because I felt so bad about it after I saw the little cub.

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
mmm.... I have to reload a previous save, because in my second run my Tav saw the cub and decided not to kill the Owlbear (she was defending her cub), but as player I thought that would mean the chance to have it in the campsite was precluded. Now I stand corrected, and I want tha ensemble of fur and feathers in the camp *.*

journeyman
journeyman
I reloaded and tried the balcony myself. Step to the parapet, ranged attack, step back. rinse & repeat. Once you're set up, all but 0 damage (well, four of them came up on the balcony, and one tossed a nasty) Nice thing is you can step inside if you need heals and/or things start to go seriously bad for some reason

Cheers, and thanks for an even better strategy
In case you missed it, just behind the fountain is a breakable wall into the temple

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Nephtu
I reloaded and tried the balcony myself. Step to the parapet, ranged attack, step back. rinse & repeat. Once you're set up, all but 0 damage (well, four of them came up on the balcony, and one tossed a nasty) Nice thing is you can step inside if you need heals and/or things start to go seriously bad for some reason

Cheers, and thanks for an even better strategy
In case you missed it, just behind the fountain is a breakable wall into the temple

Your welcome and I did miss the thing in the spoiler, will try that next time

Doctor Who
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
There is an easier way to clear the courtyard if you do so before they are automatically hostile. Somewhat spoilerish, so:

Get all but one character up high, per the previous advice, then...

Send the main character down with a bottle of poison or acid. Use invisibility to poison the vat the goblins are drinking out of (acts as a crafting station). You get a toast scene, about 1/4 die outright and about 1/2 the rest get injured. I said to send the main character because there is a dialog bug that might happen if you use another character.

addict
addict
I was pickpocketing the drunk sleeping goblins (and bugbear) on the high passage, but got caught, and then all the goblins oautside went to the attack. Even though I was already Lev. 4 at that time, I thought it would be hopeless against 20 enemies, including the ogre at the gate.

But , they couldn't get to me in my osition. I meleed with 4 or 5 who were in that place, (the drunks I pickpocketed) which was do-able. The others were unable to ascent to where I was and climbed on other platforms and a missile combat ensued.

Gale used all his magic missiles to dispatch the ogre, who could only curse, but not reach us.

Spoiler : There were 5 goblins on a wooden platform in front and we were shooting arrows at eachother.
After 4 were down, I noticed that a wooden pole under the platform showed up as having 2 HP (because the bow's target browsed over it as I aimed for the last goblin)
I shot two arrows at this pole and the whole platform came down.
I could probably have killed these 5 gobs with 2 arrows from the beginning.

Originally Posted by ldo58
I was pickpocketing the drunk sleeping goblins (and bugbear) on the high passage, but got caught, and then all the goblins oautside went to the attack. Even though I was already Lev. 4 at that time, I thought it would be hopeless against 20 enemies, including the ogre at the gate.

All of them sleeping goblins and 2 bugbears can easily be dispatched by crushing them individually while they sleep. Sleep = 100% hit chance, and in most cases, dead. You can 'pickpocket' them after they dead. ;-)

I usually kill the drunken one first on high ground. Fighting them won't aggro the goblins in the court.

Then sneak attack from high ground. Make sure you can get back to hide at the end of each turn.

It's easy to access the parapets above that courtyard as soon as you get there, just walk past the goblin chick that is loving on Volo's erratic performance and climb the ladder and head left. You will eventually get up to where several gobbos and bugbears are napping. For me, Astarion almost singlehandedly dispatched them all from stealth while they slept, with only the bugbears snapping awake in time to get off a hit or two before succumbing. Loot them and check the walls for a hidden way to access the interior of the Shattered Sanctum!

Or before (or better after) doing that, just launch some explosives stuff down onto those below to whittle them down to size and then snipe the survivors until they are all dead and then proceed into the sanctum. Hopefully you already cleared out the early gate area where you were challenged when entering their camp?

Last edited by Capt.Wells; 26/01/21 05:24 PM.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”

Link Copied to Clipboard