Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Kadajko
I think it's like asking for cars in a game like Deus Ex, yes you are in a city, yes you might see some cars around, but the game direction is incompatible with zooming around in a car.

That said, I think here is the best logical option we could have:

Buy mounts that would stand around in our camp, and if you have mounts your travel time between locations decreases, and there could be little cutscenes of how we get on a mount and start / end travel.
They kinda did it in Cyberpunk and the game is not that far from Deus Ex in concept. It is just a massive effort for some parallel horse riding gameplay and not everybody has resources for it. I'm fine with no horses in Baldur Gate, mounts are kinda annoying because you have to dismount on every encounter.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I can't think of 1 game where I've not had at least 1 form of Wagon or another.

The lack of Wagon, Horse or other is a little... saddening.

old hand
old hand
Daggerfall had both wagons and horses and that is why it is still the number one rpg ever made.

I would excuse so much inventory shenanigans if they only gave us a wagon.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The point is that they don't need to implement actual mounts. It's just strange that you can see broken wagons, that we know the Thieflings move in a caravan, still no mounts are to be seen around. Quite curious when we can wittness cattle animals like cows.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by Dexai
Daggerfall had both wagons and horses and that is why it is still the number one rpg ever made.

I would excuse so much inventory shenanigans if they only gave us a wagon.

Daggerfall ha wagons, gold had weight, you have ton of skills that improved if uses, they have soo many clothes (oh so many styles you can concoct), you can craft spells that (when you were high level) gave justice to the title of archmage (a friend of mine specialized in aereal attacks: fly spell and then area effect spells or rain of fireballs, another one created an area of effect magick nulock spell able to open all the stores in a commercial area). Awww how would I love to see that game completely converted to modern graphics.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I love where this subject has gone! The domestication of the Aurochs into plough cattle and the Horse as a mount were among the two most significant developments in early civilization. And the domestication of the dog was the most important interspecies alliance of all, right at the root of modern humans. Dogs made us human. They domesticated us, and then set us down the path.

Alright, I'm sorry, I don't want to get controversial, but this is crap. Cats are the essential domesticated animal, the Ur-protectors of civilization. Can't have civilization without cities, can't have cities without granaries, garbage and, when you get down the tech tree a bit, ceremonial burial. And then what do you need? Cats. Cats still, to this day, present their owners with killed vermin honoring the original contract which was the salvage of humanity. Without Cats we would have nothing, destroyed by disease and a depleted seed bank.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
I love where this subject has gone! The domestication of the Aurochs into plough cattle and the Horse as a mount were among the two most significant developments in early civilization. And the domestication of the dog was the most important interspecies alliance of all, right at the root of modern humans. Dogs made us human. They domesticated us, and then set us down the path.

Alright, I'm sorry, I don't want to get controversial, but this is crap. Cats are the essential domesticated animal, the Ur-protectors of civilization. Can't have civilization without cities, can't have cities without granaries, garbage and, when you get down the tech tree a bit, ceremonial burial. And then what do you need? Cats. Cats still, to this day, present their owners with killed vermin honoring the original contract which was the salvage of humanity. Without Cats we would have nothing, destroyed by disease and a depleted seed bank.

That's a truth only for few choosen ones!! All hail the cats!!! [yep, I'm a crazy cat lad ^^ ]

Siad that, all the quoted animals play a crucial role, but your point has a counter example: pre colombian american populations had agriculture, had populated cities, but didn't have domesticated cats.

Last edited by Bufotenina; 11/01/21 07:23 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Originally Posted by CopperCrate

That's a truth only for few choosen ones!! All hail the cats!!! [yep, I'm a crazy cat lad ^^ ]

Siad that, all the quoted animals play a crucial role, but your point has a counter example: pre colombian american populations had agriculture, had populated cities, but didn't have domesticated cats.

Important counterpoint! I don't really have a good comeback on that one, certainly not anything informed. Luckily I live in the post facts era. Cats Are Best! Cat Camp Follower or Uninstall!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Cats rules. It's a dogma, a fundamental law of the multiverse!! \m/ [ok, I have to restrain my cat fan side before it starts posting cat pictures laugh laugh ]

old hand
old hand
*catma

old hand
old hand
[ok, I have to restrain my cat fan side before it starts posting cat pictures laugh laugh ]

My cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dexai; 12/01/21 05:28 PM.

[ok, I have to restrain my cat fan side before it starts posting cat pictures laugh laugh ]

My cat
That is an adorable cat, I thank you most sincerely for sharing it with us. It's phenomenal.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
apprentice
apprentice

My cat

10/10 Cat

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Heheh well cats are cool! I'm all for more feline camp familiars, and not pissing off Bastet lol

I just want to look at the BG3 EA the way my rescue ranger looks at grass
or the way she looks at Mr. Ed, of course, of course
But instead its more like the look she gives when its raining outside... heheh

My Dog
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Fun article from a few years back
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/29464691_Dogs_make_us_human

Horses were the last domestication partnership, well after the hound dog and the honey bee and all the rest. It was comparatively recent and the effects were sweeping and undeniable. They're all over our earliest myths and at the dawn of history wherever they rode in and kicked shit up. The point about the Americas is interesting, you can see how dramatic the introduction of the horse was for altering pretty much everything about how humans behave just from the more recent examples. Once humans figured out the saddle and how to charge at speed, it upended everything at a gallop. Trying to imagine a medieval themed fantasy game world without them takes a lot of extra energy and mental gymnastics hehe. I don't know, they certainly gave us a cow at Candlekeep. I'd like to see a charger and a mule plotline like Apuleius with cult mystery comedy.

ps. speaking of cats and dogs though, I wish the game approached the "find familiar" and "animal companion" thing in a way that was a bit more engaging than just a regular random summons or a couple cutscenes at camp. As a wizard it'd be cool to choose between rolling with like say a fat orange tom, or a classic black Egyptian, or maybe a few different options to customize through dialog. A sub-creation screen similar to the "who do you dream of" to determine the look of our animal companions in other ways would be awesome. I'd like as a ranger (or anyone really) to have a dog or wolf I could name. Or for dogs to have a Mastiff or a Shepard or Hound. Stuff like that. Some stuff that doesn't need to be all druid involved, but more classic town for the regular animals. Questlines too. For the birds Mellencamp the chicken was pretty classic hehe.

A stronghold with a barn would be rad. They could play up animals and their interactions, or have factions of their own like with the shadow angle. I can imagine how the game might do some lip service without having to create a ton of new mechanics. But I would certainly like at some point to be able to charge into the fray on horseback at higher levels, but I'm sure it gives their animators night mares lol

Last edited by Black_Elk; 13/01/21 05:23 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Rather than name my familiar or companion, I'd like it to tell me it's own name through speak with animals.

E
E
Neverwinter Nights had horses and riding.

veteran
veteran
The point is that they don't need to implement actual mounts. It's just strange that you can see broken wagons, that we know the Thieflings move in a caravan, still no mounts are to be seen around. Quite curious when we can wittness cattle animals like cows.

This !

Riding or mounted combat are almost impossible to do when this game is so focused on vertical stuff.
Imagine a horse stands there, then jumps on a roof top and it kicks a goblin down.
Looks already silly when player characters do it.

Unless you say that horses ( or other mounts ) have a tadpole too.
This seems to be a very good excuse for every kind of special power today.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Riding or mounted combat are almost impossible to do when this game is so focused on vertical stuff.
Imagine a horse stands there, then jumps on a roof top and it kicks a goblin down.

Roach! What are you doing up there! Get up there and kick some butt!

apprentice
apprentice
[quote=Black_Elk

ps. speaking of cats and dogs though, I wish the game approached the "find familiar" and "animal companion" thing in a way that was a bit more engaging than just a regular random summons or a couple cutscenes at camp. As a wizard it'd be cool to choose between rolling with like say a fat orange tom, or a classic black Egyptian, or maybe a few different options to customize through dialog. A sub-creation screen similar to the "who do you dream of" to determine the look of our animal companions in other ways would be awesome. I'd like as a ranger (or anyone really) to have a dog or wolf I could name. Or for dogs to have a Mastiff or a Shepard or Hound. Stuff like that. Some stuff that doesn't need to be all druid involved, but more classic town for the regular animals. Questlines too. For the birds Mellencamp the chicken was pretty classic hehe.

A stronghold with a barn would be rad. They could play up animals and their interactions, or have factions of their own like with the shadow angle. I can imagine how the game might do some lip service without having to create a ton of new mechanics. But I would certainly like at some point to be able to charge into the fray on horseback at higher levels, but I'm sure it gives their animators night mares lol[/quote]

Yeah: here's an idea, like in previous versions of DnD we should be able to befriend animals we meet in the wild and make them animal companions... would be a lot more engaging. At least the summon format gets us away from the godawful Ranger rules in PnP 5th Ed. "You can forgoe your standard action for your companion to make an attack"...buddy, you can forgoe designing Rangers, alright?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard