Print Thread
Page 84 of 95 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 94 95
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Everyone playing lonewolf use a few cheesy Larian's custom mechanics wink

Everyone, huh?
Everyone is an absolute meaning and inferring that indeed EVERYONE, all 100% of people who play solo lonewolf style uses cheese, blah, blah, blah and everyone does not.
The irony here is that any solo player, whether they are using glitches, cheese, blah, blah, blah, is still beating the game whereas you are still trying to survive not being party wiped by the Windmill gobbos.
At any rate, schooling you is easier than toasting bread...with a toaster.

Learn. To. Play. And. Get. Good.

Firsts seconds : 5D6 poison on weapons sleep
Dipping, speed potions, scrolls for everyone, backstab, item to group all mobs then special attack to attack them all in 1 time... LOOOL

Do you really think you're special because you know all Larian's custom cheats ?^^

That's so sweet.

Do you allow me to share your video to show what really sucks in BG3's combats at the moment ?
Because you nearly have everything.

And congratz for the thing with the magnetic item in the goblins camps, that's one of the best exemple I saw that really show why this game has nothing to do with D&D.
(6:40)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 10:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
All legit mechanics in the game, in fact, many having their uses in DnD 5e. And yet, you still are getting party wiped while SOLO players are making you look pathetic.
Making BG3 real time mode is only going to make matters worse for you, and others, cause you fingers won't be able to hit the PAUSE button fast enough. Go figure, huh?

Last edited by bullse; 30/12/20 10:52 PM.
veteran
veteran
All legit mechanics in the game, in fact, many having their uses in DnD 5e. And yet, you still are getting party wiped while SOLO players are making you look pathetic.
Making BG3 real time mode is only going to make matters worse for you, and others, cause you fingers won't be able to hit the PAUSE button fast enough. Go figure, huh?

Please just explain me where those mechanics have their uses in D&D LOL.

Wtf is this obsession about my playthrough and why should I feel pathetic because some players could be better than me in a video game ?^^

You should probably go outside and do something else.
It looks like you have nothing else than video games and forums to feel proud of you.

You're the best !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 11:12 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
That video shows how far from regular D&D the game is currenty. The character always starts by being invisible and 'surprising' a creature (often with a poisoned weapon, with the best poison - of course). And with the non-existant backstab (for non-rogues), which does not exist in 5E. Invisibility is a powerful ability or an expensive scroll/potion which should be uncommon - because it is unbalancing.

In actual D&D getting surprise every round is pretty much unheard off - it smacks of poor encounter design or an overpowered character, which the DM would manage. If you know players are going to be invisible all th etime, then you take steps to counter that, to even the odds....

Whatever you do, something/one else can do too...why couldn't a monster or NPC (esp in the underdark) be lurking about invisible and see your character walking/sneaking about and then do the same to them? Clearly beyond the AI/encounter design at the moment and exacerbated by making things bonus/free actions that should be a full action.

Also, you can still sense invisible creatures (and many monsters can or should be able to), that never seems to be an issue for our invisible hero. The bullete has tremosense, which means you are not actually invisible to it when 'invisible'. It doesn't need eyes to sense you - that is part of what makes it a more dangerous foe. So simply walking up to it invisible - without it noticing you, unless you are sneaking - should not be possible. Fighters with armour (almost always) have disavatange on sneak. In fact, I would as a DM give the bullete advantage on it's perception check in this case - being in it's own env. But even without that, it should 'notice' the character.

Anyway, after the opening guranteed 'surprise' round, guaranteed first attack in next round - so they always win initiative apparently - again, not that common, some creatures just have very high initiative scores and with RNG you must lose some times...anyway, not here it seems. Then abuse of the broken 'backstab' again as a non-rogue to get advantage on their next attack roll, thus near guaranteeing a hit. Then action surge, which is legit (but which requires a long rest to recharge - so a resource cost, which is completely ignored since you can long rest whenever) to effectively get a third attack (with advantage too, again not an actual rule). So 3 attacks, with advantage, from a low-level character against practically any foe, before they ever get a chance to strike. It's no wonder they all die before they get a chance to attack. And if you attack the boss first, and abuse the use of spell scrolls/bombs etc mopping up minions becomes trivial I imagine.

Sure, some of this is legit, but generally the rules of 5E are balanced to avoid such one-sided encounters; here every encounter is massively tipped in favour of the character.

I didn't watch more than 5 minutes, because appears to be the same strategy applied repeatedly. If the point is to show how the rules are currently exploitable, this works magnificently. All this shows is (1) the 5E rules as implemented now are broken/exploitable (if you take the time to find those holes of course) - this is known and has been pointed out repeatedly on these forums (2) that there are too many resources (esp scrolls usable by other classes) around for players to exploit. Hopefylly Larian is paying attention and will nerf the exploits instead of just giveing everthing more hp/AC when some people complain about it 'being too easy'.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
What's wrong with that video? I think it's an excellent of example of what you can do with this game and how to make the mechanics work to maximum advantage for you. A couple of things in there I hadn't thought of yet. Good stuff. Cheers.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
What's wrong with that video? I think it's an excellent of example of what you can do with this game and how to make the mechanics work to maximum advantage for you. A couple of things in there I hadn't thought of yet. Good stuff. Cheers.

It perfectly show how bad, silly and/or cheesy the combats mechanics are in a supposed D&D game smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/12/20 12:12 PM.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D

It perfectly show how bad, silly and/or cheesy the combats mechanics are in a supposed D&D game smile
That's not how I saw it. Alot of thought and a deep understanding of the games combat mechanics went into developing those tactics. By what metric are you decreeing them silly or cheesy? I mean he isn't just throwing barrels around and lighting them up.

He's making use of many different mechanics simultaneously and using them in the most advantageous manner, including maneuver, surprise, advantage, positioning, his own action economy, dipping, etc etc. I mean, it might not be your thing, but I don't see how you can deny the guy knows what he's doing with the game, and how to make the most of it.

Maximuuus, given the amount of times you have been full party wrecked up there by those Windmill gobbos, surely, at least once, you have talked with the deep gnome? Accordingly, as the deep gnome indicates, 'Ignorance is alive and well, so it seems.'

I can assure you and others this: No matter how Larian changes this game, no matter how much Larian pivots and caters to the DnD 5e literalists (to their detriment I might add), no matter what Larian does, when the game is fully released, us old DOS2 solo players will SOLO wreck the entirety of the BG3 game, whether it remains turn-based mode or becomes a pause fest real time game mode. Undeniable. Fact. Period. All the while, you and others will continue to thrive on these forums bringing up idiotic BS, asserting the game is not strictly and fully DnD 5e despite Larian having creative license, asserting the game is too difficult, and getting repeatedly full party wiped.....

Last edited by bullse; 31/12/20 12:42 PM.
veteran
veteran

That's not how I saw it. Alot of thought and a deep understanding of the games combat mechanics went into developing those tactics. By what metric are you decreeing them silly or cheesy? I mean he isn't just throwing barrels around and lighting them up.

He's making use of many different mechanics simultaneously and using them in the most advantageous manner, including maneuver, surprise, advantage, positioning, his own action economy, dipping, etc etc. I mean, it might not be your thing, but I don't see how you can deny the guy knows what he's doing with the game, and how to make the most of it.

Oh yeah you're free to think dipping weapons in a candle is not silly. You're also free to think it's not cheesy to jump and disengage as an action bonus to have an advantage from backstab etc etc...

You're free to think and enjoy what you want, no problem... but that doesn't change the fact that Larian implemented a few rules that are totally OP in comparison of the MANY possibilities offered by D&D !

But anyway you're also free to like more a game in which every characters and every combats is nearly played the same with a very limited numbers of mechanics instead of the variety and the balance of something that exist for 6 years (if I'm not wrong), that had been tested by thousands of players and that is played by millions all arround the world.

PS : I'm glad you enjoy playing with a solo character bullse. You're so powerfull, you DoS2 players (I suspected it^^)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/12/20 01:04 PM.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D

Oh yeah you're free to think dipping weapons in a candle is not silly. You're also free to think it's not cheesy to jump and disengage as an action bonus to have an advantage from backstab etc etc...

You're free to think and enjoy what you want, no problem... but that doesn't change the fact that Larian implemented a few rules that are totally OP in comparison of the MANY possibilities offered by D&D !

But anyway you're also free to like more a game in which every characters and every combats is nearly played the same with a very limited numbers of mechanics instead of the variety and the balance of something that exist for 6 years (if I'm not wrong), that had been tested by thousands of players and that is played by millions all arround the world.

PS : I'm glad you enjoy playing with a solo character bullse. You're so powerfull, you DoS2 players (I suspected it^^)

Ahh. I'm beginning to see how we are viewing things differently. You are judging the action itself(i.e. the act of dipping a sword in a candle to heat a sword blade up, which I agree, would not really work...unless said candle was actually a blowtorch), while I am viewing it through the lens of what the action does for the player mechanically, the advantage it gives him, and the way he stacks those advantages in a way that maximizes his combat advantages.

Likewise jumping over someone's head to somehow gain a backstab advantage is on the face of it, pretty silly. However, nearly all video games ask you to check reality at the door in some sense or the other, and for me that video was much less about the actual mechanics in play, and much more about what the player did with them to gain maximum benefit from them. That was what I found impressive.

I'm also not comparing them to any outside source, such as the D&D rules because I don't see the relevance. It's a tabletop game, this is a video game. Two different worlds to me, so it doesn't bother me if the developers want to flip it around and change it up.

veteran
veteran
I'm also not comparing them to any outside source, such as the D&D rules because I don't see the relevance. It's a tabletop game, this is a video game. Two different worlds to me, so it doesn't bother me if the developers want to flip it around and change it up.

I don't really care if they add a few cool things... But many of those things aren't cool and totally devalue everything else.

There are many great threads that explain why their decisions completely broke the rules they claimed to implement "as much as possible"... Because yes, this game is a D&D game so I'm waiting for a D&D experience (I already had to forget about a Baldur's Gate game).

I'm not a P&P player but I love most D&D's video games and lots of them are legendary RPG... (That's not a personnal though).
Trusting D&D usualy leads to unforgettable video games... A D&D game with a taste of Larian should probably too... but at the moment many things are totally Larian's.custom mechanics with a taste of D&D, especially in combats.

Their custom rules are so OP in comparison of D&D that we have poor combats totally determined by (and balanced arround) their few homebrew rules.

Why do you think this normal game mode is a nightmare for some players while it's very too easy to others ?
Answer : Because you can't properly balance combats around two systems that are completely unbalanced between them.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/12/20 03:48 PM.

veteran
veteran

Yup. I'm sure he and others like him had never even heard of D&D until BG3. That video was downright pathetic. Not D&D in any way, shape or form.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Yup. I'm sure he and others like him had never even heard of D&D until BG3. That video was downright pathetic. Not D&D in any way, shape or form.

So because I don't share your ideal that a video game must cling to the letter of the law as stated by a book, that must mean I never heard of D&D before right? Lol, what a tool.

Ignorance is alive and well, so it seems.
Please continue to believe that which you do.
I will however continue to wreck this game, SOLO, while you, Maximuuus, and others continue to be hilariously party wiped over and over by gobbos and gnolls.
Cya.

veteran
veteran

Ignorance is alive and well, so it seems.
Please continue to believe that which you do.
I will however continue to wreck this game, SOLO, while you, Maximuuus, and others continue to be hilariously party wiped over and over by gobbos and gnolls.
Cya.

Seriously guy, get a life^^

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
There are a lot of negative waves appearing in this thread.

Some of you are looking at a holiday from the forum unless you cut it out. Take a look at the Forum Rules if you are in doubt, but the basic rule is; "Don't be a ****". Insulting or dismissive language will be be punished. I shall be watching this thread carefully.

veteran
veteran
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I come to realize RTwP is a bad and dated system. Unless developers will add some tweaks to it in their games, it just boils down to annoying busywork with no real flow or fun to be had. I like the idea of the system, because in theory it allows me to focus on my character and have the other characters operate mostly independently but without any sort of tactics/gambit system it is just a babysitting system.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
Honestly haven’t read 80+ pages of discussion for obvious reasons, so I’m not sure if this has already been brought up but I must say that turn based combat saves my overall experience of this game.

This game has amazing graphics so I force my poor laptop to play it on high just for the visuals. It works fine most of the time but on certain maps it gets laggy (eg the forest). Since the combat is turn based I don’t have to worry much about lagging and not being able to perform well in combat.

No mirrors in your home. Use them. Look into them. Cause you need to get a life as well.
You worse than a worn wallet in my back pocket, Shadow.

Real time is immersion breaking cause Real time amounts to a Pause fest, simple as that, Shadow.
You can go back to avoiding being full party wiped tho. Cya, Shadow.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

No mirrors in your home. Use them. Look into them. Cause you need to get a life as well.
You worse than a worn wallet in my back pocket, Shadow.

Real time is immersion breaking cause Real time amounts to a Pause fest, simple as that, Shadow.
You can go back to avoiding being full party wiped tho. Cya, Shadow.
You've had warning about offensive posts before which you have evidently chosen to ignore. You obvious also chose to ignore my warning in this very thread about being civil.

Take a 7 day break to consider your future posting style.

Page 84 of 95 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard