#750249 09/01/21 04:58 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Heya,
Here's my forums premiere thread and I just start with a suggestion 🙂

Resting to recover the spells is of course important and the way it has to be in baldurd gate but what I'd personally love are different camp environents depending on the location you are.

While having the "one camp" during overland exploration such as forests etc. It's all completly fine. But once you're in a dungeon surrounding it feels rather odd to get outside traveling for a nap to just travel back into the dungeon afterwards.. Maybe it's just me but in terms of immersion I think it'd be fabulous having a dungeon camp instead in this example.

What I'd therefore like are a few different camps with triggers depending on your current location. Could be i. E. an underground camp, a ruin camp, the yet given camp etc. Doesn't has to be completly dynamical or too many different enviroments. A few would be completly fine to deliver an improved feeling. Companion/npc positions could be more or less the same even.

I hope that idea didn't pop up earlier but my search didn't drop a result for it smile

E
addict
addict
E
Ideally the camp would be wherever you choose to rest, provided you find a safe and suitable location. Personally I would be all for the old mechanic from BG1 & 2 where your rest could be interrupted but I gather not everyone shares that opinion. I find the current fixed camp location to be utterly immersion breaking (the party is half way through the underdark but somehow makes its way back to the surface to rest?!).

I can only assume it is tied to all the party interactions/cinematics only being triggered at the camp. I hope this will be amended.

G
addict
addict
G
I agree that the fixed camp thing feels weird and unsatisfying. I'm all for having you be able to rest anywhere, but the place you're resting (and possible actions you've take to camouflage your campsite) impact the risk of something stumbling into you. If you want a long safe rest, you can walk back to town or find a little uninhabited cave and cover the mouth with foliage (use that survival skill!). If you only need a quick breather and feel like it's quiet enough, you can rest where you are and just hope something doesn't find you.

Choices with meaningful tradeoffs and calculated risk are what makes this game (any game, really) interesting.

old hand
old hand
I can see the appeal of a changing camp that reflects the environment, but I actually would like to see our current camp grow into something that is more than a camp, a fixed hub that upgrades into something worthy of us or something.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 10/01/21 01:36 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I think this is a problem we might have to live with. While I absolutely support the idea of the scenario of the camp changing locations depending on where we rest, think it's more immersive & etc etc, the camp is also implied to be a fixed place. By that I mean that the it has tents, chests, tables, everything that makes it kinda like a "base" for our group. If the camp scenario changed all the time, implying we're always moving places, it also wouldn't make much sense for us to tell NPCs to meet us at our camp, how could they possibly find it? Carrying around heavy chests and tables wouldn't make much sense either. I don't know. I truly get it, it feels weird to be in the middle of the underdark and rest on the forest, but I guess we might have to brush it off as portals n stuff. Unless Larian comes up with a plausible explanation.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hopefully the camp site will change with subsequent chapters - once we are in the Baldur's Gate locale, it would not make sense for our camp to be a two week to four week travel distance away.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Hopefully the camp site will change with subsequent chapters - once we are in the Baldur's Gate locale, it would not make sense for our camp to be a two week to four week travel distance away.
That does make sense, true. Maybe it will change from act to act.

Personally I always headcannon'd it as Gale drawing one of those runes nearby the camp area so fast travel makes more sense.

Last edited by A_va; 10/01/21 01:56 AM.
old hand
old hand
I actually thought we camped there purely because of a convenient rune. Maybe later on the camp site will change as our powers grow eventually going into Mordenkainen's mansion territory?

apprentice
apprentice
xD A mansion would be most welcomed, take notes Larian

S
addict
addict
S
I actually don't mind the camp and how it evolves over time. But like others, my problem is immersion. It's really odd that my group is exploring the Underdark but somehow we end up in our camp site on the surface. It's jarring.

It's not the most elegant solution but perhaps the group is in possession of Leomund's Tiny Hut in the form of a scroll, magic item...etc? Then whenever the group camps, the cinematic switches to a hut if they realistically would be unable to reach their surface forest camp?

It's just odd how they implemented camping/long rest. Not sure there's a good solution to this at this point.

old hand
old hand
Actually, the solution could be finding a scroll/item really early on thats really obvious that was a mage's little personal realm which might be able to explain the eternal small forest?

Perhaps a little dialogue animation thing when we first press head to camp or when we first interact with a teleport circle, this would also give them more of a world presence/reason to be there in being points planted by a mage before us?

Last edited by CJMPinger; 10/01/21 06:44 AM.
old hand
old hand
This bugs the crap out of me too. Very immersion breaking, when I played my Drow I didn't even want to go to camp at all because it just made no sense. Even if we could have a base camp that was static and temporary camps in whatever areas we were exploring it would be better than the current system. I would prefer to have a different camp for each environment altogether though. A system like in DA:I would be nice even with a couple camp locations in each area.

A minor irritation with camp is that I really would like to rearrange everything. All the bedrolls in the open like they are, especially with a perfectly good ruin nearby just makes me cringe.

veteran
veteran
Personaly i dont mind static camp, but it have its limitations ...
Not just from gameplay perspective, but from story perspective aswell ... think about it, if our protagonist is suppose to walk on foot back to camp every single day ... logicaly his radius of explorable area is half-day walk around the camp. :-/

As someone (not me originaly sadly) allready mentioned earlier on this forum ... there is quite elegant solution to this problem, that could solve multiple problems:
1) Add waypoint inside the camp ... prehaps on that ruined tower.
2) Add some magical item, or reagent that allows people to use waypoints and will consume uppon using.

And voila!
You have solved long rests restriction, explained why protagonist have static camp, explained why noone else in whole world is using waypoints, and in fact prolonged possible explorable raidus to potentialy infinite.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
E
addict
addict
E
The rune way portals are an obvious solution but again, they are something that breaks immersion for me. I'm digressing here but the map is littered with these convenient portals that apparently nobody else has noticed or uses? I would much prefer simple way points at key locations that imply fast travel on foot, rather than magically porting about the realms.

Originally Posted by A_va
I think this is a problem we might have to live with. While I absolutely support the idea of the scenario of the camp changing locations depending on where we rest, think it's more immersive & etc etc, the camp is also implied to be a fixed place. By that I mean that the it has tents, chests, tables, everything that makes it kinda like a "base" for our group. If the camp scenario changed all the time, implying we're always moving places, it also wouldn't make much sense for us to tell NPCs to meet us at our camp, how could they possibly find it? Carrying around heavy chests and tables wouldn't make much sense either. I don't know. I truly get it, it feels weird to be in the middle of the underdark and rest on the forest, but I guess we might have to brush it off as portals n stuff. Unless Larian comes up with a plausible explanation.

The whole static camp concept is just a bit daft thematically; you've literally just dropped out of the sky, have no idea where you are and realise that you have a limited amount of time to find a solution to the tadpole in your head but somehow we have time to set up a static fixed camp adorned with chests, tables, ornaments etc. that we return to each evening because the game does not allow us to rest at any time apart from night. It's like the Fellowship of the Ring magically returning to Rivendell each night even though they are half way through Moria.

BG2 dealt with this in a much more immersive way, companions were told to wait at a specific location or simply told to return to a specified inn. Seeing as we haven't yet come across an inn this would obviously be impossible to currently implement but I don't see the issue with for example, telling a companion to wait at the druid grove. This won't happen because Larian have obviously decided to have all party interactions/cinematics be instigated at camp.

Talking of BG2 I hope that Larian will introduce Class Strongholds, which were a fun and thematic part of BG2 and hugely added to replayability.

Banned
Banned
Indeed the current encampment is generally too much in the middle of nowwhere for my taste. wink

Good for a start but it should change according to

° an interior
° a village/town

or generally an Inn, if we reach a really big city =)

Last edited by JustAnotherBaldu; 10/01/21 12:17 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I actually thought we camped there purely because of a convenient rune. Maybe later on the camp site will change as our powers grow eventually going into Mordenkainen's mansion territory?

For likelihood I too prefer to think that they teleport there via (through) a portal. But Larian decides to rain on my parade with the scenes in wich you can see the companions taht you sent back to camp to start walking (maybe I'll add that they just move to the nearest portal).

They have to find a way (just like they did in OSI) to justify the travel [a teleport trinket, or teleport scrolls like in Diablo, and a draw, in the camp, of the runes for the portal].

I like the fact that it is in the middle of wilderness, and the fact that is evolving, but I think Larian could make use of the castle's (or fort) ruins that you can reach walking on the fallen three upon the river, to improve the camp first to a modest village house then to a more city like inn or mansion.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Yes, there could be various options for the immersion of course.
I only considered several different looking "static" camps because I guess somehow the companion and camp quest events must be triggered. Which is probably easier if it's always just the camp with different looks.
Having it more dynamically is of course even better. Or at least having any reasonable explanation why I end up in a camp miles away while I actually just intend to sleep to recover. There were other games solving it by having a mobile camp to be established exactly where you are, but apparently that doesn't work out because of the idling companions and npcs which just hang around waiting in your camp. So I assume that's why it's designed the way it is. But still the visual location changes could be made to bring in more immersion.

Unless there's the explanation of a teleport ofc, which is at this time just odd since you should be back on the nearest wayshrine then instead smile

Last edited by sinvictas; 10/01/21 01:58 PM.
addict
addict
There are must be a central camp for all your companions.

And war camps that changes depending on your scenario for only your current party in dungeons where it is fairly safe. The "war camps" don't need to be very sophisticated Don't even need conversations.

old hand
old hand
I too would like there to be different camps, at least for major changes in regionry. I'm pretty sure there will be new camps in different chapters -- if I remember correctly they actually said as much in interviews or reveals of whatever -- but I would like it for different areas in the same chapter too.

Like for example the Underdark. It makes so sense that they return up to the surface each night to rest. The Underdark is supposed to be a fair length underground. The characters even comment on this when you enter from the stairway. And yet we just skip back up for the night like nothing? It implies the Underdark is the kind of place you can visit for a day trip, not the kind of dangerous, inhospitable place they should want it to evoke.

Originally Posted by Zarna
A minor irritation with camp is that I really would like to rearrange everything. All the bedrolls in the open like they are, especially with a perfectly good ruin nearby just makes me cringe.

Yes, dear lord, so much this! I want to move into the ruin so much!

Originally Posted by A_va
If the camp scenario changed all the time, implying we're always moving places, it also wouldn't make much sense for us to tell NPCs to meet us at our camp, how could they possibly find it?

I think we could still have a "main" camp and then still have "smaller" camps available when appropriate. Right now I don't think you meet anyone in the Underdark that you can send to camp, for example, you only tell that to people on the surface. So having the camp be the camp for the entire surface could be a thing, and all the camp NPCs hang out there, and don't follow you to the Underdark camp.

Honestly the Underdark camp doesn't even need to be a separate map from the adventure map. Just have Long Rests take place in the Selunite Ruins while you're there -- that's the perfect place for it.

We could even get special Underdark-related dialogues/interactions with our companions if we rest down there or something.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Etruscan
It's like the Fellowship of the Ring magically returning to Rivendell each night even though they are half way through Moria.
This is the best analogy I’ve seen, and why I think you should only be able to make camp when you’re outdoors and not threatened (whether it’s on the spot or we travel back to the established campsite). There should be sections of the game where long rests are locked out, like when you’re in the Underdark or halfway through a hostile tower. That would make short rests far more valuable and make resource management an actual thing in this game.

Link Copied to Clipboard