Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Loug Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
or is it just me ?

Not even speaking about the bugs that will hopefully be fixed but design decisions.

the most infuriating thing is those damn environmental effects forcing concentration checks. Seems like every freaking goblin is carrying fire arrows, acid flask and grenades and every battle become a game of "the floor is lava". Fun thing (or not), even if they miss you'll have to roll concentration because you now stand in a freaking fire.

It's already annoying not being able to keep "shield of faith" or "bless" ... can't imagine playing a melee cleric with spirit guardian at release and not being able to keep concentration up for more than a turn.

Not even speaking about the broken pathfinding which lead to numerous "prone" / stepping into hazardous effect / undisplayed attacks of opportunity.

Oh, and there also the whole "HP bloat" thing making sacred flame near useless and messing with the balance of the game.

Spiritual weapon not being implemented and messing with the cleric action economy ... but hopefully this one will be added at release.

Guess I could spam Guiding Bolt and necrotic touch all day but then, why not play a wizard ?

/rant off

Last edited by Loug; 10/01/21 05:52 PM.
old hand
old hand
I think their support capabilities are perfectly fine right now, but I agree that their ability to damage is very lacking and concentration I find being broken quite a bit somehow.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
A bunch of spells are missing for now, so hard to say.

I don't think there is HP bloat - there is some for goblins, but in line with other similar CR creatures.

Maintaining concentration is harder though.

L
Loug Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I think their support capabilities are perfectly fine right now, but I agree that their ability to damage is very lacking and concentration I find being broken quite a bit somehow.

Not sure what you mean by "support capabilities" ... ?

Since you can eat a rack of lamb for a bonus action healing is not really needed (except for the occasional healing word on a down team mate).
And it's no like you can keep concentrating on bless long enough to warrant the use of one spell slot and one action when you could just cast guiding bolt and get rid of an ennemi or at least give advantage to the next attacker ...

But I wasn't even talking about balance (which is also broken mainly thanks to high ground granting advantage / disadvantage). Right now, the way the game is designed, I found the cleric very frustrating to play / not fun when the game make it really hard / unfun / not effective to "support" you're party and encourage you to "just deal more damage" which is not the role everyone want to play. I'm guessing that's also part of the DOS legacy.

Originally Posted by Eugerome
A bunch of spells are missing for now, so hard to say.
Maintaining concentration is harder though.

that's my main concern. Maybe they could make it more easy to keep concentration to counterbalance the environmental effects they added to D&D. Getting rid of the "minimum DC is 10" may be a appropriate change.

Last edited by Loug; 10/01/21 06:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
+1 on HP bloat / environmental effects

old hand
old hand
I tend to like using my bonus action for something else like an offhand attack or hex or misty step, so I use Shadowheart more to heal. Healing wise she has been ok because not much has changed on that front other than food healing now which I am mixed on, and if by some unklucky crit a party member goes unconscious a healing word puts them back up easily. Everyone else does enough damage that I don't feel like I need to attack with her often. Also bless usually lasts at least a round for me that it does end up being useful as my party members benefit from it. But personal experiences are not universal and even when I am using her I have noticed that there are issues with the cleric on their more offensive front.
Also balance can be part of why something is not fun to play, if it feels too weak it feels unfun. If you feel like playing that class is unnecessary to your comp or there is no mechanical reward to it, it also feels unfun. If their abilities do not feel worth using, like sacred flame, it feels unfun. Systems tend to overlap or contribute to eachother.

addict
addict
I hate the standard cleric spell, which is supposed to deal damage but literally never does... At the same time, clerics do very little damage with both bow and melee weapons. Once they run out of spells, they become useless. Mages have at least a restoration spell, plus the spell, which sets fire to or causes damage more often than the one that is a cleric. I know it's weird to compare them, but I'm really disappointed. Because this skill almost never deals damage. None at all.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
For me its just how casting is in general in 5ed... less buffs = less useful/versatile cleric.. not just them though...

Been kind of meh coming to 5ed from 3.5ed... but doable when compared to that one in between... that larian took a very simplified set of rules and simplified it further by removing a good deal of the structure those rules provide has me kinda turned off.. just pretty dont do it for me.. wink

imo the more "flare" companies add to d&d games almost is never good... we see this highlighted on concentration checks most likely...

Edit.. Certainly think there is enough good to stay tuned as they dial things in though... a lot is still just not in game...

Last edited by Llev; 10/01/21 07:59 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
The combination of concentration locking (and all the new ways it can be broken in this game due to surfaces and things inflicting incapacitated when they should not) and the issue with saves, and how mobs seem to have bloated save values and get saves for things when they should not, has really affected Cleric. In addition, not all of the Cleric domains are available for us to test, and of the ones that are, trickster Cleric's invoke duplicity has been nerfed.

Cleric is normally a great class, even in boring old 5e. It's actually my favourite class to play and it can be very versatile. But the issues with concentration, and saves need to be fixed, otherwise Clerics in BG3 are going to continue to struggle.

Shadowheart is barely getting hit with her AC of 19 especially if she is staying in the back. Most times I used bless or armor spell, it stayed until the end of the fight. You have to plan your fights in BG3 with height advantage in mind though, otherwise all classes will be extremely weak. Having Astarion rob your enemies from their special arrows under invisibility spell before bigger fights is also very useful.

Banned
Banned
Concentration Spells are truly cr°p for me just because of this.

Why use a Spell which can be cut short and most probably will, if you can use "Necrotic hands"?
Necrotic hands, totally a Necromancy feeling Spell - in the hands of our holy person - has a higher hitchance even most of the time.
And its dmg-value exceeds the healing-value of same level spells EASILY.

Clerics are armored magical offense-fondlers. :|

But "Concentration" can be good if you manage to sneak into the shadows quickly and hide your concentrating person.

journeyman
journeyman
For me its the constant miss and low damage roles with the mace.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Painbringer71
For me its the constant miss and low damage roles with the mace.

I've mainly just stuck with the mace for SH but aren't there other one-handed weapons for which the cleric is allowed to use? After all it's been about 40 years since I've played PNP DnD that I don't remember what clerics are allowed to use for weapons and what they aren't.

veteran
veteran
I dunno ...
My Strenght based Dual Wielding Githyanki Light-Cleric was kinda interesting ...

The only think i find confusing about it, is that her deity was Vlaakith. O_o
I mean, i understand that Githyanki are worshiping her almost as Goddess ... but as far as i know, clerics gets their power straight from their divine patron, simmilar as us Warlocks get our powers from our Patrons ... meaning she must have some godlike powers? O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dunno ...
My Strenght based Dual Wielding Githyanki Light-Cleric was kinda interesting ...

I mean, i understand that Githyanki are worshiping her almost as Goddess ... but as far as i know, clerics gets their power straight from their divine patron, simmilar as us Warlocks get our powers from our Patrons ... meaning she must have some godlike powers? O_o

And if I might ask what weapon<s> did your cleric wield out of curiosity?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dunno ...

And if I might ask what weapon<s> did your cleric wield out of curiosity?

The cleric has pretty strong attack spells, but once they run out, you don't deal enough damage with any weapon. -_-''' So I use scrolls or grenades, that's the most useful thing I can do.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
My biggest problem, other than concentration that I rely a lot to protect Ken... Gale, is that the sacred flame cantrip is the weakest of all the other cantrips, up to know, it is the one that does very few damage and one with the highest missings, that's why I use the cleric for long range healing and fill Shadowheart with special arrows.

Last edited by Bufotenina; 12/01/21 01:06 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
My biggest problem, other than concentration that I rely a lot to protect Ken... Gale, is that the sacred flame cantrip is the weakest of all the other cantrips, up to know, it is the one that does very few damage and one with the highest missings, that's why I use the cleric for long range healing and fill Shadowheart with special arrows.

Now if by the "special arrows" you are referring to would those be like the acid arrows for example? If so then you have to worry about the acid getting your friendlies and having them take damage as well Hence the reason for which I was glad when I was able to buy a set of medium armor +1 for her which she now has an AC of 19 she takes damage a lot less now.<G>

Banned
Banned
Lowkey i feel like there's no real benefit in playing any kind of caster over warrior rn. Some spells are nice and very satisfying vs weak mobs, and guiding light does a lot of dmg when it lands, but every harder fight for me pretty much amounts to everyone going for my mage and him going down, then Gale going down, then SH trying to heal them and going down, and finally homegirl Lae'zel killing everyone while they stab their corpses.

I kind of want to try out a beefier battle-cleric or battle-mage build and see how it goes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Lowkey i feel like there's no real benefit in playing any kind of caster over warrior rn. Some spells are nice and very satisfying vs weak mobs, and guiding light does a lot of dmg when it lands, but every harder fight for me pretty much amounts to everyone going for my mage and him going down, then Gale going down, then SH trying to heal them and going down, and finally homegirl Lae'zel killing everyone while they stab their corpses.

I kind of want to try out a beefier battle-cleric or battle-mage build and see how it goes.

Now I like the idea of a battle-cleric more so than a battle-mage. What differences would there be between the Battle-mage and the Warlock?

Last edited by DragonMaster69; 12/01/21 01:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard