Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Always thought the class descriptions were there purely as suggestion... more a springboard than any kind of limiting factor...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bruh
Astarion is the best companion we have so far. I kinda dislike his attribute changes that were introduced in the last patch but he is still the best.

The only reason for which I keep Astarion around is that he's the only Rogue we have available other than running as one ourselves and I'll have to admit that I'm quite happy Running my female half-elven ranger knight.I'd have killed him the first time he attacked me if it weren't for that fact

Last edited by DragonMaster69; 07/01/21 12:50 AM.
addict
addict
Astarion is the best companion we have so far. I kinda dislike his attribute changes that were introduced in the last patch but he is still the best.

It's for the trickster, as I understand it.

Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
The only reason for which I keep Astarion around is that he's the only Rogue we have available other than running as one ourselves and I'll have to admit that I'm quite happy Running my female half-elven ranger knight.I'd have killed him the first time he attacked me if it weren't for that fact

Good news! If you personally don't like some character, that doesn't make him bad. For example, I almost always kill Wyll.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyloth

It's for the trickster, as I understand it.

Originally Posted by DragonMaster69

Good news! If you personally don't like some character, that doesn't make him bad. For example, I almost always kill Wyll.

As for Wyll I tend to like him better than Gale to be honest with you there. But someone who tries to kill me especially when they ask for my help isn't always the best way to make points.

I
old hand
old hand
I

Astarion is the worst companion of them all as he is completely lore breaking. A Vampire Spawn without any of the characteristics and powers he should have and also without most of his weaknesses. And just saying "its the tadpole" is a very weak excuse.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Ixal
Astarion is the worst companion of them all as he is completely lore breaking. A Vampire Spawn without any of the characteristics and powers he should have and also without most of his weaknesses. And just saying "its the tadpole" is a very weak excuse.

Not to mention a vampire spawn isn’t free until their master dies. But again, cuz tadpole.

I think the inconsistencies are there because they didn’t know how to use him in the game. There’s no day/night cycle so the tadpole magically allows him to walk around during the day. The game requires exploration so the tadpole magically allows him to enter other people’s homes.

But for some reason he can’t cross running water because the tadpole can’t magically alter that... My guess is the writers wanted to remind players and not let them forget that, yes Astarion is a vampire.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal

I think he was talking about the character's personality. Also in my party Astarion is one of the most powerful characters (if we speak about skills). He also has a bite that helps a lot(and reminds you that he's a vampire, besides water). For other abilities, perhaps too early? I think he should get something else at level 5.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
After he holds a knife to your throat, just kill him.

If you like him, let him join you.

Last edited by Van'tal; 10/01/21 10:41 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Van'tal

At some point I may have to create a worshipper of Bhaal and just murder hobo everyone once their usefulness is over.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Van'tal

At some point I may have to create a worshipper of Bhaal and just murder hobo everyone once their usefulness is over.

*Chuckles* Actually, I think I just left him by the roadside as he whimpered "So that's it then?!, blah blah blah" (well after I first gave him a try).

B
Banned
Banned
B
With astarion it’s very obvious that larian try’s hard to make some interesting characters. But it shows also that they are no passionate DnD fans.

Compare astarion with hexat the vampire rogue from bg2 (Charakter designed by beamdog). Vampire rogue but has to wear a magic cloak in daylight and totally sucks during day (stats and skills). But when the sun goes down.... holy shit.

That’s how it should be made.

Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
With astarion it’s very obvious that larian try’s hard to make some interesting characters. But it shows also that they are no passionate DnD fans.

Compare astarion with hexat the vampire rogue from bg2 (Charakter designed by beamdog). Vampire rogue but has to wear a magic cloak in daylight and totally sucks during day (stats and skills). But when the sun goes down.... holy shit.

hehe, without a day/night cycle you can't have that wink Good thing the Tadpole allows our Vampire-Spawn to run around in sunlight!

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by daMichi

hehe, without a day/night cycle you can't have that wink Good thing the Tadpole allows our Vampire-Spawn to run around in sunlight!

Hmmm I thought the missing of day and night is part of agenda? Game must be more simple and streamlined. That’s the whole single point behind using 5e edition!

Hmmm I thought the missing of day and night is part of agenda? Game must be more simple and streamlined. That’s the whole single point behind using 5e edition!

That has nothing to do with DnD 5e. Although some people may believe that 5e simplified everything, there still exist Day/Night on Toril/in the Forgotten Realms wink

That there is no day/night cycle is simply because they are using their own Divinity engine, which does not have weather effects or day/night cycle included. Don't blame DnD 5e, blame the graphic engine. Or the lack of willingness of Larian (or because it would cost too much, and Larian does not see enough benefit).

Last edited by daMichi; 11/01/21 10:07 AM.
addict
addict

That has nothing to do with DnD 5e. Although some people may believe that 5e simplified everything, there still exist Day/Night on Toril/in the Forgotten Realms wink

That there is no day/night cycle is simply because they are using their own Divinity engine, which does not have weather effects or day/night cycle included. Don't blame DnD 5e, blame the graphic engine. Or the lack of willingness of Larian (or because it would cost too much, and Larian does not see enough benefit).

Because it's really not that important, you're giving it too much weight.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Hmmm ok if day and night still exists in 5e despite its agenda to oversimplify the game then why was divinity engine the right way to make bg3?

If someone would be a conspiracy guy, it could come to
Mind that it was the cheapest way to make a DnD mod for divinity 3, then call it bg3 to boost sales and maximize Profit.

But of course this is heresy and in no way anyone would do this. So back on topic how awesome astarion is 😀

Last edited by Baldurs-Gate-Fan; 11/01/21 10:25 AM.
E
addict
addict
E

If you are referring to a day/night cycle, then I would strongly disagree. The lack of day/night/weather totally breaks immersion for me and I find the permanent Mediterranean summer in the game frankly quite jarring. Even a fantasy game should have some basis in realism to draw you in and create a palpable sense of a living world.

Anyway, I digress. To get on topic, I don't care for Astarion at all, only took him along because I needed a rogue but I do find his story OTT. As someone else mentioned he would probably work far better as a snobby Elf noble without the extraordinary vampire backstory.

For me it is very important.

Would you not find it more immersive and dramatic, when e.g. you attack a bands of goblins, and it starts to rain and a thunderstorm roars over you, while swords clash and spells are cast? It can be pretty cool. Always sunny gets borring fast.

As for Astarion:
Obviously you like that character, and he is (somehow) important to you. Not for me, I don't care about that companion. But you will not hear me saying, that it's not important, you are giving this character too much weight wink

addict
addict

For me it is very important.

Would you not find it more immersive and dramatic, when e.g. you attack a bands of goblins, and it starts to rain and a thunderstorm roars over you, while swords clash and spells are cast? It can be pretty cool. Always sunny gets borring fast.

As for Astarion:
Obviously you like that character, and he is (somehow) important to you. Not for me, I don't care about that companion. But you will not hear me saying, that it's not important, you are giving this character too much weight wink

You compare the mechanics to the character LOL. This mechanic won't change the storylines.

I agree that it will add atmosphere to some situations, but it will not affect game that much. I will forget about it after 2-3 hours gameplay, only if the weather conditions do not affect the fight, for example, on the water you can slip or something like that. Then after 10 hours I will hate it xD.

The game has more significant factors, and by the way, characters are one of those factors. And this is about any character, not just Astarion.

It's just that I do see a lot of complaints about the day-night system in each topic, as if it would really make a difference. But apart from the atmosphere, it probably won't affect the gameplay in any way, and you talk about it as if it's a mortal sin of Larian and spoils the whole game. It's a little... well, you know... ghh.

Banned
Banned
I don't know about a weather system, but it seems to me a day/night cycle would have probably been the easiest way to establish a connection to the OGs and other similar cRPGs, at least in gameplay terms. Or actually the cheapest way would have probably been a fatigue and injury system, which was there even in DA:O (the game i, having not played DoS, would say BG3 draws more heavily from).

Lowkey, i'm curious to see how they'll handle inns and Baldur's Gate itself. Maybe something like Dragon Age 2? Again, i don't care too much about weather, but for some reason the inns and cities were the most atmospheric places in the OGs, in no small part due to the night/day cycle.

Last edited by Innateagle; 11/01/21 04:54 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard