Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I agree that it will add atmosphere to some situations, but it will not affect game that much. I will forget about it after 2-3 hours gameplay, only if the weather conditions do not affect the fight, for example, on the water you can slip or something like that. Then after 10 hours I will hate it xD.

The game has more significant factors, and by the way, characters are one of those factors. And this is about any character, not just Astarion.

It's just that I do see a lot of complaints about the day-night system in each topic, as if it would really make a difference. But apart from the atmosphere, it probably won't affect the gameplay in any way, and you talk about it as if it's a mortal sin of Larian and spoils the whole game. It's a little... well, you know... ghh.

It will not affect the game that much...for you. Well, for many players atmosphere is a huge part of a RPG and it was a huge part of the original BG games (I would argue this atmosphere is tangibly missing from BG3 currently). If a lot of people are complaining about the lack of a day/night cycle then maybe that's because for them it is an integral part of immersing themselves in a fantasy world, so yes it would make a difference though clearly not from a mechanical gameplay perspective.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by daMichi
Because it's really not that important, you're giving it too much weight.

For me it is very important.

Would you not find it more immersive and dramatic, when e.g. you attack a bands of goblins, and it starts to rain and a thunderstorm roars over you, while swords clash and spells are cast? It can be pretty cool. Always sunny gets borring fast.

As for Astarion:
Obviously you like that character, and he is (somehow) important to you. Not for me, I don't care about that companion. But you will not hear me saying, that it's not important, you are giving this character too much weight wink

You compare the mechanics to the character LOL. This mechanic won't change the storylines.

I agree that it will add atmosphere to some situations, but it will not affect game that much. I will forget about it after 2-3 hours gameplay, only if the weather conditions do not affect the fight, for example, on the water you can slip or something like that. Then after 10 hours I will hate it xD.

The game has more significant factors, and by the way, characters are one of those factors. And this is about any character, not just Astarion.

It's just that I do see a lot of complaints about the day-night system in each topic, as if it would really make a difference. But apart from the atmosphere, it probably won't affect the gameplay in any way, and you talk about it as if it's a mortal sin of Larian and spoils the whole game. It's a little... well, you know... ghh.

You would be surprised.... it’s not only for immersion. In older DnD or pathfinder when you fight in rain you take a penalty to bow shooting as it should be. And fightin in Heavy Storms you get additional movement penalty and you Charakter become exhausted much faster wich is another heavy penalty then.

The point is simply that with divinity engine seems it’s not possible. Wich is abut strange for a new modern engine when do mama old game already do this.

But choosing day and night sensitive beings like vampires as important companions is truly ridiculous if your engine can’t even support this

old hand
old hand
If you played the game you know that your characters will frequently complain about being tired. Which leads to a night day cycle, you know since you sleep at night normally...game is EA btw

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by fallenj
If you played the game you know that your characters will frequently complain about being tired. Which leads to a night day cycle, you know since you sleep at night normally...game is EA btw

Technically speaking you are correct but not in the truest sense because we can't be active in any location at night except for the camp. You can rest overnight several times but without a calendar we never know actually what day it is, which is another poor design decision as far as I am concerned.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Originally Posted by fallenj

Technically speaking you are correct but not in the truest sense because we can't be active in any location at night except for the camp. You can rest overnight several times but without a calendar we never know actually what day it is, which is another poor design decision as far as I am concerned.

You can find out how many days have passed if you look in the diary.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
E
addict
addict
E

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing this out.

Yes, but it does not correlate with how many times I have slept in the camp, at least that's what I remember. I can't start the game right now and try it, my PC died last week ...

B
Banned
Banned
B
What I just wonder is why make a playable character that should heavily interact with day an night cycle when the game doesn’t even feature this? Because vampires are cool?

I mean yes there is surely a lot of potential storywise and even more as a origin playthrough. But why not include a day and night cycle as that would open so much more options and immersion.

And coming up with that tadpole looks abit pathetic and smells for cheap excuse for lack of features.

They could have given him a magic cloak for daylight like it was in bg2.

It will be interesting however as astarion can never become a real vampire in the Game as tadpole dont work with undead.

Well ok maybe in the larian edition of DnD they will.....

old hand
old hand
Yeah, no day cycle is very harmful for a lot of very basic RP. Night creatures -- and I'm not even talking vampires here I mean thieves and scoundrels -- are going sorely unrepresented. The city of Baldur's Gate is risking to be extremely unatmospheric.

Last edited by Dexai; 12/01/21 09:30 AM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Dexai
Yeah, no day cycle is very harmful for a lot of very basic RP. Night creatures -- and I'm not even talking vampires here I mean thieves and scoundrels -- are going sorely unrepresented. The city of Baldur's Gate is risking to be extremely unatmospheric.

Absolutely. One of my favourite things about BG2 were the sounds at night while walking around the Slums or Docks area, it created such a potent atmosphere and one which mostly suggested inherent danger. It will be a farce if we can only experience the city of Baldurs Gate in permanent sunlight.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Dexai
+100 to this

stranger
stranger
After playing BG3 for some hours, I only have only one thing about Astarion character that seems a little bit off for me. We basically traveling with quite the powerful company, if we look at their backstories. So why not to start game from a higher level? I have played D&D and such cases are very very common. That way, Astarion could have been introduced with more vampyric powers (after he reveals himself as a bloodsucker). Right now, he just seems like a simple rogue, even with that bite. I don't think that tadpole's work on entering the houses uninvited, walking in the sun and overwritting mental hold from Caz is too much or against any lore. The tadpole itself is being tampered with by the greater power, so such feats should not be impossible.
Also, I hope that we get to play a side story about dealing with Caz. And if we win, I hope it is not some drooly love story end with Astarion dismissing his Evil alignment. I would really want to see an end, where freed Astarion (or even finally a true vampire Astarion) imprisons (as living blood bags), kills or enslaves (thrall, spawn) every travel companion who helped him and he feels even a little bit attached too. It would be a trully good and vampire lore fitting end. After all, D&D vampires are creatures without soul, serving only their evil whims and desires.

Last edited by Paleo; 22/01/21 08:47 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard