Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So in the prologue you can pick up these 'books' that when touched put centuries of history in your mind.
What if when you have these in your inventory, you get a +1 or +2 (Nonstacking) to history roll checks?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
old hand
old hand
Maybe a +1 or so to the relevant check so checks involving goblins will be easier with the related stone?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wish ALL the books we find/read would potentially add to relevant checks in some fashion - even if book A impacts some minor aspect of Quest B occurring two chapters later. Or reading 15 books in a series on flora and fauna ultimately provides a +1 to nature checks, while a bunch of books on various gods, temples and priests provide a +1 to religion after reading x number.

I can dream, right?

G
addict
addict
G
I feel like reading certain books could very reasonably add choices during dialogs, based on whatever information we have learned.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with having lore books give you direct stat bonuses. The information in the books should be reward enough for reading them. It'd be far better if these books actually provided some useful insight and knowledge that could be applicable in future situations.

Reading them could unlock certain dialogue options in future conversations, e.g. reading a note with instructions to do something signed by "T.L.", and you later encounter someone with the initials T.L., and an insight check could make that connection and unlock the hidden dialogue option.

Last edited by Fisher; 12/01/21 09:23 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fisher
I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with having lore books give you direct stat bonuses. The information in the books should be reward enough for reading them. It'd be far better if these books actually provided some useful insight and knowledge that could be applicable in future situations.

Reading them could unlock certain dialogue options in future conversations, e.g. reading a note with instructions to do something signed by "T.L.", and you later encounter someone with the initials T.L., and an insight check could make that connection and unlock the hidden dialogue option.

Now I like your idea of the unlocking of a hidden dialogue option much better and to me would make it much more lore friendly

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Starshine
So in the prologue you can pick up these 'books' that when touched put centuries of history in your mind.
What if when you have these in your inventory, you get a +1 or +2 (Nonstacking) to history roll checks?

I agree with the OP. The way the text reads, it sounds like the Matrix where you instantly have knowledge of all this lore. Seems like it should do something for you later on.

old hand
old hand
+1 to figure out that sticking your face in dog shit, is in fact, *not* a traditional goblin sign of friendship

Optimistically Apocalyptic
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Its a cool idea. Love it. Subtle, rewarding, coherant.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
enthusiast
enthusiast
I "steal" these books on all my playthroughs as I am somehow convinced that they contain relevant info on the mindflayers' evil plans so I keep em in my inventory to give them to the first Mindlfayer-studies academic I come across on my journey. Secretly hoping for a reward or extra plot twist (like being aware of something before it plays out , e.g. someone working for the mindlfayers) because of sacrificing inventory space smile

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fisher

I wouldnt say lore books, but specific MAGIC books like these mindflayer books that you dont have to read, but just having them in your possession gives you access to them. Having a book on your posession wouldnt give a bonus, its a book you'd have to sit down and bring out the passages and compare and etc, but these you just touch and you get, the whole history of goblins? instantly, in your mind.. that's something major and not just a lore book but a tangible magic item that would reasonably give a modifier to knowledge checks related to goblins if you were touching it in a way no book lore or otherwise ever could.

These aren't books, like yeah having all books have a potential to be relevant in conversations would be good too.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak

Link Copied to Clipboard