Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 32 33
old hand
old hand
Questionable, the writing was pretty dull for Solasta from what I played, maybe itll pick up later. BG3 has really bad cringy moments for sure but, over all is more entertaining.

If TA was actually given a mass amount of funding, I don't really know what kind of game would spew out. It would be interesting to see for sure.

Originally Posted by spectralhunter
No one is throwing a fit, well at least I'm not. I am just being critical to Larian when I think they need critical suggestions.

I won't disagree on how it looks. It completely looks out of place. At least we can agree on that. laugh

Fair enough

Last edited by fallenj; 10/01/21 05:38 AM.
addict
addict
Why not create a time window where you could press the space bar to pop-up the reaction menu?

If you don't press it, combat flows normally.

If you press it, then the menu shows up.

It could have an indicator when an action triggers a reaction window.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Why not create a time window where you could press the space bar to pop-up the reaction menu?

If you don't press it, combat flows normally.

If you press it, then the menu shows up.

It could have an indicator when an action triggers a reaction window.

Awesome! =)

addict
addict
On top of that, you can add auto-reactions if you want or always pop-in menu like in Solasta.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
On top of that, you can add auto-reactions if you want or always pop-in menu like in Solasta.

I REALLY hope they go for something like this. Sounds heavenly.

L
addict
addict
L
Wait until we get multi-class and can do a smiting sneak attack with Green Flame Blade. The UI is going to need to be pretty flexible!

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Wait until we get multi-class and can do a smiting sneak attack with Green Flame Blade. The UI is going to need to be pretty flexible!

LOL. I didn’t even think about multi class. Yeah. UI needs an overhaul. What they have now cannot handle all that 5e will throw at it.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

LOL. I didn’t even think about multi class. Yeah. UI needs an overhaul. What they have now cannot handle all that 5e will throw at it.

Crap, didn't think of that either. It's going to be a mess unless they improve it.

old hand
old hand
Multiclassing will probably cause a lot of issues with the current systems to surface. Right now summoning is kinda borked so IDK how I am going to do my Warlock and Conjuration mage build. Reaction based spells are going to get to be an issue and then monk reactions with a class that has reaction spells might cause things to not work under the current automatic system. And the paladin's smite with other melee attack abilities might not properly work or might be implemented wrongly. Pop up boxes really might be the best way to faithfully translate 5e

enthusiast
enthusiast
Did they even say they were going to allow for multi-classing? That would be so cool if they did but they would have to have a lot of the current bugs and issues worked out as well. After all the feats and some of the weapons are currently bugged yet

veteran
veteran
They've said that multi-classing will be available, yes, but I think they may only have said it once, in one place... and with the way the game is at the moment, it's looking like tall order for the time being.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Niara
They've said that multi-classing will be available, yes, but I think they may only have said it once, in one place... and with the way the game is at the moment, it's looking like tall order for the time being.

I fully agree with you that is why I was surprised when they had mentioned multiclassing as there are so many things that need to be fixed. Of course, we do have over a year before the full game is released so a lot can happen between now and then

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I would much rather they get things working properly in a game without multi-classing, rather than scrambling to bolt it on (with all it's added complexity and balance issues...minefield) and yield a lower quality experience in the end. If they implement all 5E classes and races (and maybe borrow from some other non core classes, published by WotC) then that is already a huge amount of supported play styles. A year is not that long really....Even though 5E is much simplified compared to PF or 3.5E, it's still a big system to implement faithfully.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Solsta is a game I just checked out on steam. It says it's in EA

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69

Yup, true!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69

Yup, true!

Ok I added it to my wish list will have to check it out closer and see if it's worth the purchase and d/l. Thanks

veteran
veteran
If you like 5th ed rules or just want to learn what they are it's worth it.

When looking at the graphics you need to remember that its small operation on shoestring budget smile

L
addict
addict
L
They’ve done incredibly well for such a small team. I particularly like how they’ve implemented the zone map and world map!

addict
addict
Unsurprisingly, this thread airs the same arguments and concerns as previous threads discussing the reaction system in BG3, and suggests the same set of possible solutions.

The Solasta reaction mechanism works for them, since they are aiming their game mainly at the smaller ( ~10M ) 5e audience, so a TT-feel with minimal production values fits well with player expectations.

The problem Larian have is that they want to create a game with general appeal to the larger ( ~200M ) videogame audience, so they want smooth high quality animation and gameplay. This is difficult to achieve if the flow of the game keeps changing due to reaction choices, so they have their automatic system that allows the game to process reaction choices before animating a turn.

It's fine at the present ( unless you are really grumpy about deviation from tabletop ) because there are few reactions implemented, but it will become increasingly unsatisfactory as more reaction behaviours are implemented.

It seems obvious that, one way or another, if Larian don't want to have a stop-start animation experience, they will need to have a highly configurable reaction system; and even then there will likely be players that don't like any form of automation.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by etonbears
Unsurprisingly, this thread airs the same arguments and concerns as previous threads discussing the reaction system in BG3, and suggests the same set of possible solutions.

The Solasta reaction mechanism works for them, since they are aiming their game mainly at the smaller ( ~10M ) 5e audience, so a TT-feel with minimal production values fits well with player expectations.

The problem Larian have is that they want to create a game with general appeal to the larger ( ~200M ) videogame audience, so they want smooth high quality animation and gameplay. This is difficult to achieve if the flow of the game keeps changing due to reaction choices, so they have their automatic system that allows the game to process reaction choices before animating a turn.

It's fine at the present ( unless you are really grumpy about deviation from tabletop ) because there are few reactions implemented, but it will become increasingly unsatisfactory as more reaction behaviours are implemented.

It seems obvious that, one way or another, if Larian don't want to have a stop-start animation experience, they will need to have a highly configurable reaction system; and even then there will likely be players that don't like any form of automation.

Options are key. Leave it on auto for the masses, give experienced 5E players the ability to do reactions manually if they prefer. Earlier infinity games (including BG), despite being real-time, had user configurable options on when to auto-pause, which is really no different. It would essentially stop the flow of combat to let you ‘react’ to various situations.

Last edited by LukasPrism; 15/01/21 01:03 AM.
Page 5 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard