Print Thread
Page 85 of 95 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 94 95
B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
I'm also not comparing them to any outside source, such as the D&D rules because I don't see the relevance. It's a tabletop game, this is a video game. Two different worlds to me, so it doesn't bother me if the developers want to flip it around and change it up.

I don't really care if they add a few cool things... But many of those things aren't cool and totally devalue everything else.

There are many great threads that explain why their decisions completely broke the rules they claimed to implement "as much as possible"... Because yes, this game is a D&D game so I'm waiting for a D&D experience (I already had to forget about a Baldur's Gate game).

I'm not a P&P player but I love most D&D's video games and lots of them are legendary RPG... (That's not a personnal though).
Trusting D&D usualy leads to unforgettable video games... A D&D game with a taste of Larian should probably too... but at the moment many things are totally Larian's.custom mechanics with a taste of D&D, especially in combats.

Their custom rules are so OP in comparison of D&D that we have poor combats totally determined by (and balanced arround) their few homebrew rules.

Why do you think this normal game mode is a nightmare for some players while it's very too easy to others ?
Answer : Because you can't properly balance combats around two systems that are completely unbalanced between them.

Yep I can only agree with that. Alone this jumping in combat is horrible. And that not about the totally broken disengagement system. The race for higher ground with super Mario like jumps in full armor while at the same time searching in your companions backpack to grab an apple to instaheal the wound taken by enemy’s swords is sooo larian style. And can’t possibly get worse.
If the license went to Beamdog or obsidian or owlcat games, I would not have such a good visuals and Sounds I guess. But I wouldn’t also don’t have this combat mess and not 1000000 spoons and cups and plates and other crap to pickup.

Last edited by Baldurs-Gate-Fan; 11/01/21 09:25 AM.
stranger
stranger
Turn-based combat that is also in game is actually better than active pause. In every RPG in which there's preference for active pause fights become chaotic and everything depends more on levelling characters, stuff and AI implemented by game creators than gamer's tactics. D&D should keep having more tactical fights and already it's done well in my opinion.

~ ssh nethack@ascension.run
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1ul4
Turn-based combat that is also in game is actually better than active pause. In every RPG in which there's preference for active pause fights become chaotic and everything depends more on levelling characters, stuff and AI implemented by game creators than gamer's tactics. D&D should keep having more tactical fights and already it's done well in my opinion.

Tactical ? Done well ?
What is tactical in jumping each turn to backstab or to go higher ?

Because these are the only "tactics".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/01/21 12:51 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast

Tactical ? Done well ?

your so right there are better tactics in Skyrim.

stranger
stranger

Tactical ? Done well ?

Generally it's more tactical because you need to think how characters are placed, who you need to kill first, how use different skills etc. when if fight is in real time it's usually only thinking about buffs and debuffs. I remember discussions many years ago about real time fights in classic RPGs and this design choice was made not because real time fights are really better but they thought too tactical gameplay will make it too difficult to wider public. Because people prefer dynamic games full of action than relatively difficult tactical gameplay, which was present in Divinity series of Larian. I subjectively prefer turn-based combat in RPG because it's far more similar to original p&p for which this set of rules were made. And turn based fights in D&D5ed are very smooth and fast so you don't really lose dynamism.

~ ssh nethack@ascension.run
veteran
veteran

Tactical ? Done well ?

Generally it's more tactical because you need to think how characters are placed, who you need to kill first, how use different skills etc.
Every single one of these things is available and possible in a RtwP game. And every single one of these things I do in my RTwP game. And I do all these things with quite minimal and very reasonable amount of pausing.

E
addict
addict
E
. And turn based fights in D&D5ed are very smooth and fast so you don't really lose dynamism.

If that is the case (I haven't ever played PnP) then it would seem to me that 5e PnP combat has not been translated well into BG3. Is there so much emphasis placed on gaining the high ground and jumping behind opponents in PnP? Genuinely curious.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Tactical ? Done well ?

Generally it's more tactical because you need to think how characters are placed, who you need to kill first, how use different skills etc.
Every single one of these things is available and possible in a RtwP game. And every single one of these things I do in my RTwP game. And I do all these things with quite minimal and very reasonable amount of pausing.
If all the things are available in both Rtwp and Turn based than we should just stick with turn based. Unless Rtwp is some game chaging, absolute gift from the gods I don't see why the devs should go through the trouble of changing the entire designed system because nostalgia.

Last edited by A_va; 12/01/21 09:22 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Etruscan
. And turn based fights in D&D5ed are very smooth and fast so you don't really lose dynamism.

If that is the case (I haven't ever played PnP) then it would seem to me that 5e PnP combat has not been translated well into BG3. Is there so much emphasis placed on gaining the high ground and jumping behind opponents in PnP? Genuinely curious.

No, because the implementation of Jumping is not correct to DnD, I believe is the general thrust of things.

Originally Posted by Etruscan

The opposite is true.
Backstabbing and jumping work differently in DnD 5e.
Also the action economy is different, well as some Claas feats.

But, to be fair, also a lot is still missing (races, classes, feats, spells, etc.)

In my opinion, combat in 5e and in BG3 feels very differently. Larian changed a few things, and the changes have a huge impact.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by A_va
If all the things are available in both Rtwp and Turn based than we should just stick with turn based. Unless Rtwp is some game chaging, absolute gift from the gods I don't see why the devs should go through the trouble of changing the entire designed system because nostalgia.

Nostalgia ?
People can't like RTWP games without being nostalgic ?
TB is just a bit more popular but that's it... many don't like RTWP, many don't like the static TB combats.

Please go to creative assembly and tell them that the Total War franchise would be better if combats were in TB.

"Oh it's not the same, this is realistic battles in which time matter" => go read the rules of D&D. Time should matter in the video game despite the impossibility to manage 6sec rounds arround a table.

That Saïd, you're free to like better a tabletop simulator.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/01/21 11:19 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice

Nostalgia ?
TB is just a bit more popular but that's it... many don't like RTWP, many don't like the static TB combats.

Please go to creative assembly and tell them that the Total War franchise would be better if combats were in TB.

"Oh it's not the same, this is realistic battles in which time matter" => go read the rules of D&D. Time should matter in the video game despite the impossibility to manage 6sec rounds arround a table.

Ok, let me rephrase that. I don't see why the devs should go through the trouble of changing the entire designed system.

S
addict
addict
S

Nostalgia ?

Ok, let me rephrase that. I don't see why the devs should go through the trouble of changing the entire designed system.

Lets be realistic, they wont. Its clear they are working within the existing framework they are already accustomed to, so this 85 page (lul) thread is mostly screaming into the void.

What they likely CAN do, is fix things towards being 5e based, that is something that absolutely SHOULD be at the very least considered and explored.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Scribe

Nostalgia ?

Lets be realistic, they wont. Its clear they are working within the existing framework they are already accustomed to, so this 85 page (lul) thread is mostly screaming into the void.

What they likely CAN do, is fix things towards being 5e based, that is something that absolutely SHOULD be at the very least considered and explored.
Exactly. We should probably be discussing how to make the turn based combat better.

S
addict
addict
S
I would simply begin with moving the game towards 5e rules further. Coming at it completely unbiased, I was initially put off by the way combat started in the game. Not much going on, lots of waiting. By the end with a full party, there was plenty to do, so I didnt mind the turn based at all.

Since that IS what we will have almost certainly, lets just clean it up.

veteran
veteran
We should probably be discussing how to make the turn based combat better.

Aren't we all over this forum ?

veteran
veteran
We should probably be discussing how to make the turn based combat better.

Aren't we all over this forum ?

Reactions, and Legendary actions, would help immensely. But I haven't seen any except Hellish Rebuke. Any word from Larian?

S
stranger
stranger
S
DnD game not must be like HEY i will atack whenever i want you must pay atantion and what you doing OFCOURSE somebody like it to use thier brains so
its just thier problems and about some minds can astareon be real thief but not in status bar? When i use shadowheart she can see better and see traps but Astareon not HE VAMPIRE he must see better than DROW because he night predator $clap in face$.
And one more thing NPC's( Not Importent Characters) must be more smarter why in combat ally NPC's during quests going by themselfs and dying from acid or fire? Really like in SKyrim before mods creators fixed it.
Oh and sometimes not every time but in combat i atacking first the enemy and DAMAGE not goes its just not write even MISS after second atack i losing initiation and enemy going first.
And i can wait for fixes forever but i really need next chapters to play in this game, i even stopped playing in Genshin because they not making new locations but new characters, yes its worked in start but now not interested evem lounch that game.

veteran
veteran
Also, cover mechanisms would have been a nice addition, but clearly those aren't making it.

apprentice
apprentice
RTwP is fine if you only have to control a single character or you're controlling a bunch of martials mobbing something.

Once you introduce multiple spellcasters and combat options, RTwP basically turns into turn based but more confusing anyway unless you're some multitasking Queen Administrator.

Page 85 of 95 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard