Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bruh
Originally Posted by Vallis
Originally Posted by Innateagle
I'm replaying BG1 with the NPC banter mod and i'd trade Gale, Wyll and Astarion for my man Kivan so quick. For Imoen too. Wisdom and (non-malicious) light-heartedness are definetely missing from the current companions, especially the former.

What exactly isn't light hearted or wise about Gale, he's the wisest character in the party, even if you respond to him in a serious tone he finds away to fit a joke in
>wise
>ends up with a timebomb in his body
Yeah I think I'll pass.
I've heard of psychologists getting spearphished more than once, despite the fact that they should know the psychological tactics behind spearphishing.

Even the wisest of men are more than do foolish and idiotic things when they should know better. It's far from unbelievable, and I would say far from unusual.

Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
Banned
Banned
I'm replaying BG1 with the NPC banter mod and i'd trade Gale, Wyll and Astarion for my man Kivan so quick. For Imoen too. Wisdom and (non-malicious) light-heartedness are definetely missing from the current companions, especially the former.

What exactly isn't light hearted or wise about Gale, he's the wisest character in the party, even if you respond to him in a serious tone he finds away to fit a joke in

Like Bruh said, he's really more smart than he is wise.

But anyway, it's a personality thing. Current companions just feel like a bunch of dumb/angry young people with all kinds of personality issues. I need me some breathers from all that.

Originally Posted by zyr1987

>wise
>ends up with a timebomb in his body
Yeah I think I'll pass.
I've heard of psychologists getting spearphished more than once, despite the fact that they should know the psychological tactics behind spearphishing.

Even the wisest of men are more than do foolish and idiotic things when they should know better. It's far from unbelievable, and I would say far from unusual.

Dude gets superclingy after 1 week of meeting the MC, and seeing his backstory it's not the game being weird but him not really learning anything from turning himself into a bomb because he got too clingy with a goddess.

Last edited by Innateagle; 01/01/21 12:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
No. Being a true paladin and an imitation of one are not at all the same thing no matter how good the imitation. And Mazzy would be the first person to agree with this.

You don't get Mazzy. Mazzy is a paladin despite not being one. She is a fighter on the outside but she is a paladin on the inside to the points that she transcends the limitations of her own race. She is practically a paladin in all but name. Why else would she get those special abilities?
In fact I would argue that Mazzy is a better paladin then the baseline one, because for her it's a personal thing. Her skills and devotion are intertwined with her personality making her into something unique.
I kinda wish all companions had a unique personality-twist on their core class like that.
DA2 and Tyranny did this very well. Every companion had their very own personal talent tree, they weren't just cardboard cutouts.
No, you're the one missing my point. Mazzy is a fighter and not a paladin because the game rules very arbitrarily and with no logical reason forces her to be that. It's the game rules forcing this on the character, not the character's story. That's the point. If the game rules allowed her to be a paladin, her character would've been written as a paladin.

The issue of a character who could be a paladin but chooses to not be one and instead chooses to be a fighter who behaves like a paladin, because that's what the character's story is all about, is an entirely separate issue. I agree that is an interesting character. But that is not what I am talking about here.
No, you are the one who doesn't get it and it's pretty damn clear. Mazzy is already a paladin, she merely externally isn't so. In her heart she already is and she is rewarded for her devotion with special abilities. If anything Mazzy showcases how dedication and passion transcends limitations.
Apparently reading comprehension is not your thing. Okay then.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Apparently reading comprehension is not your thing. Okay then.
Cut the snarkiness. I'm sure that you can make your point without becoming insulting.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
I like the current party . Could help to have a couple of really edgy character though, the kind that really want to dominate / could backstab you such as Xzar, Yoshimo, Tiax, Shar-Teel, and what not. I mean, really EVIL character, and not just neutral evil / passive ones.
Would also like to have a few really good character. Like more extreme. having personal quest and issue is great and cool, but you need some extreme character so the neutral one can find their true place.

Vouching for a power hungry mage scheming stuff, a cutththroat madman wanting to convert you to his faith / ideal / quest, a benevolent fanatical paladin that won't tolerate anything but greater good, a half dragon edgelord, haughty female dragonqueen , an intellectual firegiant that is a pacifist...

Like, lets forget Planescame torment and baldurs gate that had the best companion ever, ever . Lets just look at POE, grieving mother and Durance were such great, extreme, tragic companion. Also missing Eder tier of fortitude and kindness character.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I played with all of the love none of them SH is ok but needs a haircut, Lae is hmm weird to have a githyanki but understandble from the circumstances.

The rest are just horrible writen charakters.
Hope they rewrite them but will not happen so hopeing for the som great ones to come

I... live! Flesh and blood and bone! I am alive! Ha-ha! I swore I would scratch and crawl my way back into the world of the living... and I have done it!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I just, really like the Hobgolbin design in game, it's true to the books but it looks great. So on those grounds, a Hobgob would be great. They could a prisoner of the bad guys due to disobedience or politics or something, maybe they were chief of a goblin band that joined the cult and edged out of power or just, signed up then didnt like it or who knows. Just, you rescue them and they're like oh I'll help you bring them down cos I hate them then we'll go our own way and then by the time you've done that your friends/comrades?

No tadpole, no romance, just a Hob who joins the fight and finds they like you. Maybe LN rather than evil? followed the rules and norms of Hobgob society but never really cared about them just was about doing whats expected, until it backfired in his imprisonment and how he's all, that's not right you know, that's not right but no good-evil concern about it?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Starshine
I just, really like the Hobgolbin design in game, it's true to the books but it looks great. So on those grounds, a Hobgob would be great. They could a prisoner of the bad guys due to disobedience or politics or something, maybe they were chief of a goblin band that joined the cult and edged out of power or just, signed up then didnt like it or who knows. Just, you rescue them and they're like oh I'll help you bring them down cos I hate them then we'll go our own way and then by the time you've done that your friends/comrades?

No tadpole, no romance, just a Hob who joins the fight and finds they like you. Maybe LN rather than evil? followed the rules and norms of Hobgob society but never really cared about them just was about doing whats expected, until it backfired in his imprisonment and how he's all, that's not right you know, that's not right but no good-evil concern about it?

You played Kingmaker? Pretty much described a companion in that game. I'd just prefer a goblin rather than a hob, since they look weirdly adorable and that goes hand in hand with them calmly eating charred dwarf.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I was picturing a more serious character than nok-nok. With a similar characterisation to the Hobs we meet in game, just on our side. Not a more comic gobliny character.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Nivv
I want more than anything some very visually distinct party members for the last few slots as what we have now so far are very boring aesthetically imo. My personal want is something very striking and unusual, like a tall and maimed no-nonsense vulture headed Aarakocra paladin.

I would want him to embody a depiction that goes hard on the "good is not nice" angle. An older/middle aged paladin who has no mercy or patience for evil, and who isn't an overly idealistic or impulsive fool. A "good guy" who actually comes off as intimidating, smart, hard to fool, and scary. More a Judge Dredd or Rorschach than the old boyscout idea of paladins.

But with a vulture head...lol.

I actually want a normal 3e or 2e Tiefling. Like my boy Haer'Dalis. I absolutely loathe what 4e did to Tieflings.

I just hope we can get a really good mix of class/alignment (I know alignment is gone but you know what I mean) to make logically consistent groups if we wish, or wildly disjointed ones.

My all time favorite parties always involved

Korgan (#1, love that dwarf like a brother, through every run over years)
Edwin
Viconia

I want the characters to banter, not only with the main character, but with each other just as much! Let them develop just as much a bond with each other, or fight as they could in BG2 as well if you had a mix that didnt work!

enthusiast
enthusiast
if they had a vulture head they could wear normal helmets cos no feathers?

journeyman
journeyman
I would prefer to see some more "normal" companions. There is no need to just have exotic races or characters with epic backstories to make them interesting. To me it tends to be the opposite, their race, or their epic backstory kind of becomes their gimmick most of the time.

There are many ways to make nuanced, interesting characters without these things. These tend to be more memorable to me as they do not lean on the exotic/epic factor of their character to be special.

I kind of consider to be the case with current companions, their personality and just flavour seems... basic to me. They have the epic backstories and/or exotic race to make them stand out. I am sure many will disagree but that is fine. I have a different frame of reference and opinions can differ. But I tend to enjoy stories with simple beginnings more, where actual low level people without a backstory rise up and forge their epic story as we go along. I do like to play badass characters myself (Who doesn't afterall?) but it feels more rewarding for me to see the characters grow into them from those humble beginnings.

And mostly the common races where the exotic one is rare and stands out by being rare. It also allows you to play an exotic race as your main character/Tav/CHARNAME yourself and stand out (The lone, rare tiefling companion would tands out more than the camp full of them and you do not need to even focus on the tiefling part to still have it be an important character trait that way)

stranger
stranger
I want an androgynous character like Ydwin from Pillars of Eternity 2.

Last edited by 1ul4; 15/01/21 11:54 AM.

~ ssh nethack@ascension.run
E
E
Looks.
I would like to see pretty womanly characters of elf, half elf, human and other nice looking races
I would like that companion to have pink/blue/grey/unnatural skin tone

Story
I would like to companion to be more leaning towards good path/ or ultimately to lead to redemption arc
I would like to see something akin to Red Prince
I would like to see companion that is badass
I would like to see companion that is already in the game, but not companion already

gameplay
I would like to see companion that is bard/performer, I would like an druid elf, or elf bard
I would like glass canon character
I would like fiery mage

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not going to mince words here...my "perfect companion" would be...yes, you knew it all along...King Kong!

BG3 will not be BG3 until King Kong is introduced as my side-kick--my banter-loving, joke-cracking giant ape!

Who could possibly imagine a BG tale sans King Kong? Not happening.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
veteran
veteran
Honestly, i just want a few companions that don't start our relationship off with snarkiness/arrogance. I don't like snarky people, and so far, it means I play the game alone, which isn't fun. Yea, yea, i get it, it's "realistic" that everyone is on edge. Except my pc ISN'T insulting everyone around them because of it, they're trying to work together.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 17/01/21 05:05 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I feel once we're meeting people who haven't just been in a crashed spaceship and found a tadpole in their heads, we'll get companions who aren't as stressed and hostile off the bat
Once we hit towns there should be adventurers who want to sign up, because theyre adventurers or to do a quest not all high stakes

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Interesting, in this set of companions two of three men are polite and not aggressive, instead the two women are harsh, and suddendly it seems that there are no likeable companions, further more the man toon has dialogue options that range from very polite and friendly to aggressive, that is where it counts you can decide how your toon that supposedly, being this a ROLE PLAYING game have their own characters and likes and dislikes.

I myself are very polite and friendly a bit shy, I played a toon with that likelihood now I'm creating a character that will be harsh and non friendly (and that will fall under the charms of Astarion).

Furthermore I don't see, made an exception for Astarion who is really arrogant, arrogance. Lae'zel is a skilled trained warrior from a very intollerant and violent race, she acts exactly that way, didn't saw any hint of arrogance in Shadowheart, Wyll and Gale like to gloat and boast their past actions but when you talk with them they show enough humility to openly accept their own bias and fallouts and how they screwed up in their lives.

Maybe the problem is not with the current companions but with two of them.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Starshine
I feel once we're meeting people who haven't just been in a crashed spaceship and found a tadpole in their heads, we'll get companions who aren't as stressed and hostile off the bat
Once we hit towns there should be adventurers who want to sign up, because theyre adventurers or to do a quest not all high stakes

I'm afraid that the origin characters are essentially the protagonists of the game though. It never felt like my custom character was actually the main character. Maybe i'm just weird lol.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 17/01/21 03:31 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
This sums it up well, the main character you make feels less "special" than the origin characters. They all have their own epic backstory (which feels ridiculous for level 1 characters but that is a different issue altogether) while the main character feels like just some guy/girl. It almost seems as if you are meant to play as an origin character, rather than go for the custom character (Divinity Original Sin 2 had this as well, really)

I prefer that blank slate and starting from humble beginnings, but the origin characters not following that formula does feel kind of weird, too. And also why origin characters are kind of a poor idea for a game like this in my opinion. I guess the argument is that it adds replay value, but that would have been there anyway if the focus was instead on deeper backgrounds/storypaths for the main character. (less focus on making handful of characters origin characters would also mean we could have had more companions, as the companions would require less individual work).

But, it is as it is, and I doubt it will change (if nothing else I sort of expect Larian to release even more origin characters at one point or another)

Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard