Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Caster's with very large stats (intelligence and wisdom) can't lvl up. This is being caused by the current pre-requisite number of spells they must select when attempting to level. The problem is that their core stats are driving up the required number of spells to be selected to be greater than the number of available spells they have to chose from. The related problem is that as spell selection minimum is a current leveling pre-requisite, and as there are not enough spells to chose from to meet the requirements of high Int or Wis casters, this pre-requisite leveling bug/blocker is therefore disabling these high-stat casters from leveling up (causing game progress stasis).

I have screenshots if need be.

veteran
veteran
I'd be interested to see a screenshot; others have hit up against this, but only when using mods to artificially hike their stats far above anything that is normally feasible in game.

G
addict
addict
G
There are other issues with having spell preparation as part of leveling. For instance, if your higher level or a stat boost increases the number of spells you can prepare, that isn't reflected in the part of the leveling screen that actually lets you prepare spells.

Since, at present, you can change your prepared spells any time you want, it might be best to remove it entirely from the leveling process and just have a reminder after you level up that you might want to update your prepared spells.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I would like to see a screenshot - there is a related bug (see below), but the number of spells you can learn always exceeds the number that you have to prepare.

The related bug happens to wizards. Spells learned from scrolls show up on the 'spells to learn' list when you level up. But re-selecting spells you already know doesn't increase your spell list. So I think you might be able to 'bottom out' a wizard if you:
1) Have a high INT.
2) Always select spells you already know when leveling up.
3) Only learn enough spells from scrolls to be able to do #2.

The other possibility is mods that uncap and increase INT or the relevant spellcasting stat, but mods are always caveat emptor.

Even with mods, wizards can learn spells from scrolls, so, with effort and money, you can learn about 9 cantrips, 25 first level spells, and 15 second level spells. Your INT would have to be in the 80+ range to overwhelm that!

Last edited by RBarbare; 14/01/21 02:31 AM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
kicking the tires on the limits in early access, I found that you can indeed learn 25 but can only select a fraction of those at a given level during the leveling process. The high Int (21-30, not 80) forces a pre-requisite selection of more spells (known or otherwise) than are selectable at a given level (even if known from scrolls cant select all the known spells during the leveling process). For the time being stats are supposed to cap at 20, though I don't imagine that is the end game design (going up to level 25+), so it may be good to instead remove the spell selection pre-req as a part of the leveling process, as mentioned above, and let folks manage their spell inventory on an in-game, real-time basis (nothing stopping that now) outside of the leveling pre-requisite selection process (same as in 5e and all other versions of D&D you don't need to ever select your prepared spells at the time you level, only your pool of available spells). Anyway again just messing around to find the limits, but this is certainly one that will emerge later if not fixed now.

Last edited by Abraxas Quantum; 14/01/21 07:17 AM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Exactly my thoughts @grysqrl, spells can be selected at any point in the game, why make their selection pre-requisite as part of the leveling process anyway? As stats go into the 20-30 range this will certainly emerge as an issue en mass, better to fix now before it blows up later I'd think.

Last edited by Abraxas Quantum; 14/01/21 07:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Do not expect stats to go into the 20-30 range. The hard cap on stats for player characters, whether level 1 or level 20, without certain very specific, unique magic items, for player characters, is 20. At very, very most, certain classes can get some of their physical stats up to 24 at level 20, but there exist no such perks for casting stats.

End game has so far been stated to be around level 10, and 5e rules only define progression up to level 20.

Further to this, as you level up, you will have more levels of spells, and you prepare from what you know. In an un-modded game, you are never going to be asked to prepare more spells than you know. At level one, a wizard knows a minimum of 6 spells, and they can be asked to prepare an absolute maximum of 6 spells. At level 2, they know an absolute minimum of 8 spells, and can be asked to prepare an absolute maximum of 7. At level 3, they know an absolute minimum of 10 spells, and can be asked to prepare an absolute maximum of 8. At level 4, they know an absolute minimum of 12 spells, and can be asked to prepare an absolute maximum of 9. Even if they fine a legendary unique magic item at level 5 and raise their Intelligence to 22, at level five (extremely unlikely), they know an absolute minimum of 14 spells, and can be asked to prepare an absolute maximum of 11.

There are currently 19 spells of 1st level and 12 spells of 2nd level implemented into the game for Wizards at the moment, so no, this problem will not emerge in unmodded games.

You mentioned that you have a screenshot - could you show us one that shows the stats you're working with, on the level up screen, and how many spells it's asking you to prepare?

==

That said, I do agree that requiring you to prepare your spells when you level up is not necessary and adds unneeded bloat to the level up screen that they could be using to give us actually valuable information about the game and what we're doing. I would support not being required to prepare your spells at level up, but because it is unnecessary, unhelpful and wasteful of resources... not because it is an issue or has bugs - it doesn't. If they must leave it in, I would definitely support them fixing it up so that preparing the maximum amount that you can is not required, since you aren't ever required to have your maximum number of spells prepared at any other point.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Niara
Do not expect stats to go into the 20-30 range. The hard cap on stats for player characters, whether level 1 or level 20, without certain very specific, unique magic items, for player characters, is 20. At very, very most, certain classes can get some of their physical stats up to 24 at level 20, but there exist no such perks for casting stats.

That said, I do agree that requiring you to prepare your spells when you level up is not necessary and adds unneeded bloat to the level up screen that they could be using to give us actually valuable information about the game and what we're doing. I would support not being required to prepare your spells at level up, but because it is unnecessary, unhelpful and wasteful of resources... not because it is an issue or has bugs - it doesn't. If they must leave it in, I would definitely support them fixing it up so that preparing the maximum amount that you can is not required, since you aren't ever required to have your maximum number of spells prepared at any other point.

Completely agree. I would still recommend they remove prepared spell pre-requisite from the leveling screen, as it is very unnecessary (bloated as you say) as spells can be prepared at any point in the game, and as prepared spells have nothing to do with leveling.

No.

I think that leveling up is an issue in and of itself, and not limited to casters.

I play BG3 on Stadia using Chromecast and a Stadia Controller. None of my characters have leveled up ... at all ... since Patch #3 dropped. None, no matter what they've done in game or how much of the game they've run through. I've got characters in the Underdark that are still level one.

Not having access to higher level talents is not what I expected when I purchased this game, even with normal early access issues.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
veteran
veteran
That sounds more like a Stadia specific bug, that might warrant its own thread, if you're still having that problem.

Originally Posted by Niara
That sounds more like a Stadia specific bug, that might warrant its own thread, if you're still having that problem.

It likely is a Stadia specific thing, and yes I do still have it. I've tried with several different classes and builds and play all of them regularly. None have advanced beyond level one, and more vexing is that sometimes the progression bar gets close to rolling over and then the next time that you check, oops ..... all gone and still level one.

Stadia has no support themselves and bringing it to their attention earns you a suggestion to tell Larian about it .... rinse and repeat!

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
veteran
veteran
If the XP bar is rolling over correctly, just to check - have you tried clicking in the spot where the level up marks would normally appear? Is it possible that they're there, just not showing up?
Either way, I'd recommend making a separate thread about this issue down in the bug section of the forum, since it sounds like a different issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard