Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
If our character is from Baldur's Gate, shouldn't they already have a house - or at least a residence - somewhere? Were we all living on the street?
+1 ... it would be nice to have option to visit your house, no story relation needed, just "hey honney im home ... and now im not again". laugh

I never thought of that there, after all we weren't just living in the streets. We had to have had a place we were living in

H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
Originally Posted by Hilarian
How do people feel about buying a house as a base for when we get to Baldur's Gate, so that when you "camp", you are technically just staying at your house overnight? Put on some Hello Kitty decoration and home sweet home? I don't think you should camp in the middle of town? It would give a bit of immersion of a rest place you could place your items in chest instead of carrying everything everywhere.

That would be an interesting idea depending on how much gameplay there will be once we get to Baldur's gate. After all from what I understand there will only be 3 chapters and we will only be able to rise to level 10. Would it be beneficial to have a house?
I feel like depending on the length of the game? In term of exploring everything, it took me quite a while to finish the game, like 20 something hours, and because a lot of the quests, in term of main quests do happen at the grove, I find myself come back there quite often, especially with fast travel, having a base while exploring seem like it could be something that's necessary if a lot of the events do happen around Baldur's Gate, having a place to hide from the bad guys, regrouping, or just hanging around.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm one of those players who quickly gets sucked into buy a house in any MMORPG that offers the option, and then usually ends up buying Premium decor to decorate the place. I hate to think what I spent (in real money terms) on decorating my string of houses in Black Desert Online.

Having a customisable house in BG3 would be a fun option. As others have said, if nothing else it would be a good place to display all that interesting junk you pick up. Leaving it around the camp just looks untidy to my eyes.

old hand
old hand
I'm guessing (well actually I guess it's more like hoping) that when we get to BG we'll have an inn as a camp, maybe rented, maybe commandeered. I think that would be cool.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I'm one of those players who quickly gets sucked into buy a house in any MMORPG that offers the option, and then usually ends up buying Premium decor to decorate the place. I hate to think what I spent (in real money terms) on decorating my string of houses in Black Desert Online.

Having a customisable house in BG3 would be a fun option. As others have said, if nothing else it would be a good place to display all that interesting junk you pick up. Leaving it around the camp just looks untidy to my eyes.

When I play through Skyrim I end up buying every game I can throughout the game some are mods. I've even got a completing museum for displaying everything for which I come across in the game. And I do search every nook and cranny to find everything I can to fill out all the displays in the museum so there is no quest that gets left not done. And if you've ever played Skyrim you'll understand that is a lot of game time hours.

Last edited by DragonMaster69; 12/01/21 12:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
We'd better have some place for me to store all the cutlery, paintings, crystals, flowers, and other misc. junk I've been dragging back to the campsite.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sadurian

I feel you. I have all available houses in Star Wars - The Old Republic, all rooms unlocked and am constantly redecorating.

I love houses in games and put far too much time in them, when they are available.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I'm all for a BG2 like stronghold. Especially one tied to our class -- being put in charge of a thieve's guild, taking over a wizard's tower, becoming high cleric at a temple . . .

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by Anfindel
In BG1, which actually took place in Baldur's Gate, you owned neither house nor stronghold.

In BG2, you were able to occupy or otherwise take over a stronghold, in SOME cases, in others you are simply promoted to a position of some authority (cleric and paladin for example). This generally required mid to high levels and class related quests.

In as much as BG3, at least so far, involves lower level, and quests entirely unrelated to ones class, as well as a more survival directed goal ( not becoming an Illithid) - I still fail to see how a stronghold or a house folds into the plot.

Pathfinder justified it as you were building a realm. PoE tried to justify it through the plot, as the major dungeon was beneath your stronghold. PoE2 gave you a boat because, pirates...

DA again justified it as you were building up what had once been a "class" stronghold as a defense - it was a somewhat central part of the plot

This seems to be one of those things somebody always feels necessary in RPG's these days - the itinerate adventurer seems to be a lost cause. I'm all for it in most games, where it is justified by the plat, but so far don't see a rationale for adding it to BG3 except that it would "be cool".

Not to mention the developmental time eaten up by creating mechanics to properly place all that collected junk around your house!!

In specific response to your final line there that I put in bold, there are no special mechanics needed. We already have the ability to not only drop and place items in our current camps where we want but we can rotate items with the mouse wheel to change around their position when placing them. Nothing more is currently needed except a static location in Baldur's Gate to use the same way we currently are able to use our camps.

Originally Posted by Hilarian
How do people feel about buying a house as a base for when we get to Baldur's Gate, so that when you "camp", you are technically just staying at your house overnight? Put on some Hello Kitty decoration and home sweet home? I don't think you should camp in the middle of town? It would give a bit of immersion of a rest place you could place your items in chest instead of carrying everything everywhere.

It works maybe better in open world games like Skyrim. But in BG2 you could get this fortress, planar sphere etc. so getting a small house as a reward to a quest would be quite interesting and easier to implement than the elaborate quests in BG2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I'm all for a BG2 like stronghold. Especially one tied to our class -- being put in charge of a thieve's guild, taking over a wizard's tower, becoming high cleric at a temple . . .

Now here is a great idea for which I really like one that is tied to our class. The only thing is would that be just for the PC what about the ones in our party? how would that there work out?

E
addict
addict
E

Now here is a great idea for which I really like one that is tied to our class. The only thing is would that be just for the PC what about the ones in our party? how would that there work out?

I assume you are referring to multiplayer here? That's a good point but speaking selfishly and as someone who only plays single-player, I hope they don't exclude strongholds on the basis that it will be difficult to implement in multiplayer games. If you are referring to single-player then I don't really see what the issue is, after all it wasn't one in BG2.

The more I think about it, the less I am convinced that BG3 will have class strongholds because Larian have carried over hardly any mechanics from the original BG games into their vision for BG3. I would love to be proved wrong, however.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Etruscan

I assume you are referring to multiplayer here? That's a good point but speaking selfishly and as someone who only plays single-player, I hope they don't exclude strongholds on the basis that it will be difficult to implement in multiplayer games. If you are referring to single-player then I don't really see what the issue is, after all it wasn't one in BG2.

The more I think about it, the less I am convinced that BG3 will have class strongholds because Larian have carried over hardly any mechanics from the original BG games into their vision for BG3. I would love to be proved wrong, however.

I was not only referring to Multiplayer but even in the single version that we have now would it just be one house guild for the Toon we roll up? and what about the fact if we are dual classing? Which class would we use for the guild or would we be able to have both?

E
addict
addict
E
I was not only referring to Multiplayer but even in the single version that we have now would it just be one house guild for the Toon we roll up? and what about the fact if we are dual classing? Which class would we use for the guild or would we be able to have both?

I would have thought so yeah. One stronghold for the entire party. The stronghold ideas mentioned earlier in this thread were from BG2, I don't know if you every played that game.

In the case of dual classing I would assume the player has a choice of stronghold according to which class of the dual-classes he chooses, if that makes sense? I never played a dual class character in BG2 so cannot say how it worked previously. Regardless, it's kind of a moot point because there doesn't seem to be any evidence so far that strongholds will be in BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well that would make sense If I remember correctly though in DND when you dual wield you stop increasing in levels of the first class when you start another class

G
addict
addict
G
Well that would make sense If I remember correctly though in DND when you dual wield you stop increasing in levels of the first class when you start another class
I assume you mean multi-class? In 5e, every time you gain a level, you can choose for that level to be in any class for which you qualify (they all have stat requirements). So you could totally do something like:
Level 1) Fighter 1
Level 2) Fighter 2
Level 3) Fighter 3
Level 4) Fighter 3 Ranger 1
Level 5) Fighter 3 Ranger 1 Barbarian 1
Level 6) Fighter 4 Ranger 1 Barbarian 1
Level 7) Fighter 4 Ranger 1 Barbarian 2

Last edited by grysqrl; 14/01/21 06:15 AM.
old hand
old hand
Multiclass in 5e is different from earlier editions and arguable is easier. Also It'd probably be based on the Host's first class if it is like strongholds

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Mechanically I see little point to this idea; we already have an area which evolves with npcs arriving, staying and visually evolving as you do so. Compare the first time you strike camp to later towards the end of the act with the tents and npcs around. There's certainly a case for having this be tweaked if/when you enter a town, however the point many mmorpgs have this sort of thing-to show off to other players and make them jealous-doesn't exist so... eh personally.
Of course, if there's going to be the 'stronghold' system Baldur's Gate II had... well there might be some milage in that however it depends how it's written; the point was made in BG2 you were (at best) a caretaker and at 'worst' a member of an organisation so picking the curtains and fittings was not ever going to be an option for you then.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd rather pick upgrades/changes to the organisation that have effects, as in BG2 than, curtains and fitting cosmetics like.. basically every other game.
But if BG3 ends up with our squads being pretty mobile, the camp slowly developing and changing backgrounds based where we are would be best, do we even know if backtracking will be an option? Maybe we will only be in BG for an act then off to waterdeep or something?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
old hand
old hand

Not a fan of forcing it to be tied to our class. Would rather see it location based depending on how many different areas there will be, or faction/group based depending on who we help.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard