Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Joined: Jan 2017
G
addict
Offline
addict
G
Joined: Jan 2017
There seems to be this assumption that in combat, reactions are going to be popping up all the time. Is there anything to suggest that this is the case? Most of the fights that I've been in, I don't use any reactions at all. There just aren't that many opportunity attacks getting triggered. And if you do use your reaction, it shouldn't ask you anything else until your turn comes around again (for each character you control).

I'm just not convinced that having it ask you whether you want to use a reaction is actually that cumbersome. And for those who think that it makes combat longer, I would argue that being able to use your reactions effectively might actually shorten combat by making you more efficient. Again, something I don't think we can really know until we try it.

Joined: Oct 2020
M
member
Offline
member
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Giving players the option to either use automatic reactions or set them to being triggered manually wouldn't lessen their sale numbers one bit but would make a lot of players very happy. I don't see how anyone could possibly argue against having at least the option to choose between either of both things.

Joined: Oct 2020
T
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
T
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by marajango
Giving players the option to either use automatic reactions or set them to being triggered manually wouldn't lessen their sale numbers one bit but would make a lot of players very happy. I don't see how anyone could possibly argue against having at least the option to choose between either of both things.

+1

I don't see how giving players an option would make it worst. It can be a simple toggle if people just want to automate reactions.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
They kinda give players options ...
By supporting mods.


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Nov 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Nov 2020
But ideally, the point of EA is so we give our feedback on things like this, and ideally you want a product to be complete and not have to mod it to have that complete experience. And I would argue have the combat system closer to DnD but under the player's control is something that would allow the game to be closer to being complete as a product.

Joined: Nov 2020
Location: Austria
member
Offline
member
Joined: Nov 2020
Location: Austria
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
But ideally, the point of EA is so we give our feedback on things like this, and ideally you want a product to be complete and not have to mod it to have that complete experience. And I would argue have the combat system closer to DnD but under the player's control is something that would allow the game to be closer to being complete as a product.

Very well put!
+1

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
OP Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Exactly!

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
They kinda give players options ...
By supporting mods.

Such mods aren't options... They are bandage.

Exactly like the "6 characters party mod" that will, among other thing, cure the lack of action points/round and the slowness of combats if Larian stick with parties of 4.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 15/01/21 06:53 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
M
member
Offline
member
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
They kinda give players options ...
By supporting mods.
If this is your way of thinking then what are you even doing on an EA forum? Just wait for the full release of the game and get going with your mod projects afterwards.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
One would say its obvious ... i like the curent system. laugh


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jan 2017
G
addict
Offline
addict
G
Joined: Jan 2017
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
One would say its obvious ... i like the curent system. laugh
It's actually very unclear what your point is. Are you saying that you like that people don't have much control over what their characters do or that you like it when half-completed games are published and it's up to consumers to fix the broken bits?

Joined: Oct 2020
M
member
Offline
member
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
One would say its obvious ... i like the curent system. laugh
If you like the current system then you would have no problem with what I suggested to give players an option to choose from. Or maybe you simply enjoy to be contrary to other people just to mess with them.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by marajango
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
One would say its obvious ... i like the curent system. laugh
If you like the current system then you would have no problem with what I suggested to give players an option to choose from. Or maybe you simply enjoy to be contrary to other people just to mess with them.
That would sound like logic assumption, wouldnt it?

Sadly ... i was liking the old casting system, since i dont like popup menus ... there was people who was sugesting to ADD OPTIONAL popup menu, so people can choose what suits them best ... what do we have now? A popup menu for everyone. -_-

So ... nope, sory, all i say is: I like it as it is.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/01/21 09:06 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
OP Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by marajango
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
One would say its obvious ... i like the curent system. laugh
If you like the current system then you would have no problem with what I suggested to give players an option to choose from. Or maybe you simply enjoy to be contrary to other people just to mess with them.
That would sound like logic assumption, wouldnt it?

Sadly ... i was liking the old casting system, since i dont like popup menus ... there was people who was sugesting to ADD OPTIONAL popup menu, so people can choose what suits them best ... what do we have now? A popup menu for everyone. -_-

So ... nope, sory, all i say is: I like it as it is.


What is it you don't understand about "optional"?

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
I dont think there is any reason to be so offensive. :-/
I also believe that i allready described example where optional alternative was proposed, and how it ended ...
I also believe that example should show my reasons to why i dont want this system to change the same way as the other one did.

I would also like to remind you that Larian have litteraly no obligation to follow our instructions, so even if people will write the word "optional" to every single sentence, there is litteraly no guarantee that final product will include that optionality.

So once aggain i repeat: Therefore i like it as it is and i dont want it change.


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
If I remember well Larian already said that the current reaction system was work in progress.

They know that it's not so good at the moment and very limited compared to D&D.
Sure they don't have to follow our instructions... But the game would be way more deep and interresting with proper reactions.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/01/21 03:18 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
M
member
Offline
member
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dont think there is any reason to be so offensive. :-/
I also believe that i allready described example where optional alternative was proposed, and how it ended ...
I also believe that example should show my reasons to why i dont want this system to change the same way as the other one did.

I would also like to remind you that Larian have litteraly no obligation to follow our instructions, so even if people will write the word "optional" to every single sentence, there is litteraly no guarantee that final product will include that optionality.

So once aggain i repeat: Therefore i like it as it is and i dont want it change.
If you are afraid of change because the end result might turn out worse than you had hoped for, then I would advise you to copy the current EA version of the game to an offline environment and keep it there and never update the game ever again. Because chances are that one way or another the game will change quite a lot and if your best argument to any issue is "don't change anything" instead of activily finding a solution that works for (almost) everyone, you might find yourself on the "losing" side more times than you like.

So, I hear you. You like it how it currently is and say "f*ck the others". However I would like to find a solution that works for everyone, so once again I repeat: please ADD the option for manual reactions ON TOP OF having the option for automated reactions.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
OP Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by marajango
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dont think there is any reason to be so offensive. :-/
I also believe that i allready described example where optional alternative was proposed, and how it ended ...
I also believe that example should show my reasons to why i dont want this system to change the same way as the other one did.

I would also like to remind you that Larian have litteraly no obligation to follow our instructions, so even if people will write the word "optional" to every single sentence, there is litteraly no guarantee that final product will include that optionality.

So once aggain i repeat: Therefore i like it as it is and i dont want it change.
If you are afraid of change because the end result might turn out worse than you had hoped for, then I would advise you to copy the current EA version of the game to an offline environment and keep it there and never update the game ever again. Because chances are that one way or another the game will change quite a lot and if your best argument to any issue is "don't change anything" instead of activily finding a solution that works for (almost) everyone, you might find yourself on the "losing" side more times than you like.

So, I hear you. You like it how it currently is and say "f*ck the others". However I would like to find a solution that works for everyone, so once again I repeat: please ADD the option for manual reactions ON TOP OF having the option for automated reactions.


Exactly. He just doesn't seem to understand what people mean with making things optional. And I am NOT being rude here. It isn't easy to communicate ideas across any media or social platform, to be fair. I would prefer a reaction system that gives you player control and agency, he doesn't want that. Ideally, there would be options where you select what system you want.

Last edited by andreasrylander; 19/01/21 01:16 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by marajango
If you are afraid of change because the end result might turn out worse than you had hoped for, then I would advise you to copy the current EA version of the game to an offline environment and keep it there and never update the game ever again.
Or ... you can use mod, its quite the same situation, just turned around. laugh

Originally Posted by marajango
So, I hear you. You like it how it currently is and say "f*ck the others".
Well, i didnt ... you did.
And since you dont seem to actualy read what i tell you and just keep repeating the same over and over ... i dont see much point in continuing in this conversation. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/01/21 08:51 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Dec 2020
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Reactions are a core part of 5E - so people want them done properly. Adds a lot of tactical versatility - if Larian consider it a work in progress, it's going to change, which is good. Hopefully in a way that allows greater control for those who want it - or an auto mode for those who don't.

Last edited by booboo; 19/01/21 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling...sigh
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5