Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Including restarting, I'm 40 hours in, but it gets mentioned nowhere where the Act 1 occurs.

G
addict
addict
G
Yeah, it's a little surprising that none of the dialog options (at least that I've encountered) are "So, where are we?" You'd think that at least one of the druids would be able to speak to that.

old hand
old hand
I believe one place you can hear it is by the fisherfolk that's enthralled by the survivor mindflayer at the beginning.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
E
addict
addict
E
I cannot remember the exact location but there is a map somewhere on a table that gives you a clearer idea of where you are in the world, once you read it.

veteran
veteran
Down, down, down by the river. The river Chonthar that leads to Baldur's gate.

addict
addict
There's a map in Tiefling hideout. If you click on it, Astarion tells you where you are.

edit: Elturel??? or somth like this he say

Last edited by Nyloth; 16/01/21 06:10 PM.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Dexai
I believe one place you can hear it is by the fisherfolk that's enthralled by the survivor mindflayer at the beginning.

Yeah, in that dialogue the fishermen tells you that you're a few days away from Baldur's Gate by boat. It's no Google Maps, but I think part of the intent is that you are in the middle of nowhere, somewhat close to Baldur's Gate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
addict
addict
G
It's fine that there are little clues sprinkled about, but if I were in this situation, I would be asking everyone I met where we are. This is basic survival information. You should be able to ask that, not just hope that you are lucky enough to stumble on a clue.

Adding:
Zevlor is trying to get to Baldur's Gate. There are tons of questions we should be able to ask him: How far away is it? Which direction? Can you show me on a map? Are there multiple travel options or just one road? Are there settlements between here and there? All of this information is relevant to me as a player.

Last edited by grysqrl; 16/01/21 06:27 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by grysqrl
It's fine that there are little clues sprinkled about, but if I were in this situation, I would be asking everyone I met where we are. This is basic survival information. You should be able to ask that, not just hope that you are lucky enough to stumble on a clue.

Adding:
Zevlor is trying to get to Baldur's Gate. There are tons of questions we should be able to ask him: How far away is it? Which direction? Can you show me on a map? Are there multiple travel options or just one road? Are there settlements between here and there? All of this information is relevant to me as a player.

hmm why? we're not looking for Baldur's gate, we're looking for a healer, he could be anywhere. we're looking for a solution to our problem, no one said it must be in Baldur's gate...

G
addict
addict
G
At present, at least, I have no choice but to be from Baldur's Gate. It's a big city where I know people and might be able to get help. Of course I'd want to go there. Also, I'd like to go home eventually. In the meantime, knowing even roughly where I am is going to help me find things. The current method of wander-until-I-find-something-interesting is a pretty inefficient way to solve a problem.

Last edited by grysqrl; 16/01/21 06:38 PM.
addict
addict
At present, at least, I have no choice but to be from Baldur's Gate. It's a big city where I know people and might be able to get help. Eventually, I'd like to go home. In the meantime, knowing even roughly where I am is going to help me find things.

you say that because you already know it (as player), but the character doesn't know it. my character isn't even from Baldur's gate, so it's not even home for him... maybe such a question would be appropriate only for those characters who came from Baldur's gate, but definitely not for everyone.

G
addict
addict
G
This is less about specifically looking for Baldur's Gate, but if I'm dropped in the middle of nowhere, the first thing I'm going to do after I've secured basic safety is try to figure out where I am. This is true regardless of whether I'm trying to get to a specific city.

If there are people on the move to somewhere specific (refugees), they're going to have some idea of where they are and where they're going. If there are people who have lived here for a long time (druids, iron fists) they're going to know where we are and what's around. All of these people are going to have maps that they can point at and answer questions about. Why can't I ask any of those questions?

E
addict
addict
E
This is less about specifically looking for Baldur's Gate, but if I'm dropped in the middle of nowhere, the first thing I'm going to do after I've secured basic safety is try to figure out where I am. This is true regardless of whether I'm trying to get to a specific city.

If there are people on the move to somewhere specific (refugees), they're going to have some idea of where they are and where they're going. If there are people who have lived here for a long time (druids, iron fists) they're going to know where we are and what's around. All of these people are going to have maps that they can point at and answer questions about. Why can't I ask any of those questions?

These are good points and I hadn't really considered it before but it is an obvious flaw in the story. It also struck me as strange the first time my character responded that he was a Baldurian, which sort of implies the main protagonist is already railroaded into a background we as the player have no idea about? I'm not sure how I feel about that really seeing as it is a role playing game. I ask out of ignorance but is the same for every main PC regardless of race that you are from Baldurs Gate?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Etruscan
I ask out of ignorance but is the same for every main PC regardless of race that you are from Baldurs Gate?

No, drow and githyanki don't have that tag.

old hand
old hand
It'd be nice if we were allowed to pick origin as well, like do we come from Baldur's Gate or somewhere else

L
addict
addict
L
I find the bright bleached coral sand at the start off-putting. You’re supposed to be way inland, upriver – not stranded on a tropical beach. So many people are comparing the start of the game to the DOS games, because they both start on a beach.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by Etruscan
I ask out of ignorance but is the same for every main PC regardless of race that you are from Baldurs Gate?

No, drow and githyanki don't have that tag.

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I find the bright bleached coral sand at the start off-putting. You’re supposed to be way inland, upriver – not stranded on a tropical beach. So many people are comparing the start of the game to the DOS games, because they both start on a beach.

Yeah I was pretty shocked to discover the start location is apparently supposed to be a river. The whole location screams coastline.

stranger
stranger
I have a map in the Forgotten Realms D&D Campaign Setting that I have been referring to. The key phrases so far are, " Baldur's Gate" on the other side of the mountains," and setting is now next to the River Chionthar. My best guess, to date based on the info given would be on the East side of the Sunset Mountains near the end of the River. Maybe The Far Hills which are a little West. Would love to have a Dev see this and respond as I would hope they are trying to conform to the geography of the previous games as well as the lore.
Addendum: Checked signpost on the bridge leading to the Blighted Village. West is Baldur's Gate, East is Elturel. Triel, where the messenger Gorman (?) is from is NE of Elturel. On my map, it shows a track leading NW into the Fields of the Dead, then SW to BG. But, no idea of exactly where they have placed us in Chapter 1. Yet.

Last edited by NEAL; 16/03/21 11:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
If you try to leave the area near the goblin camp before you finished the main quest you will see a world map and the message that you cannot leave this area in EA.
On this world map you see the locations of EA and baldurs gate in the distance and lots of space in between.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
N
N
^mhmm, same with the path to the side of the gith patrol encounter.

tbh, when i got to the edge of act1 and saw the design of the world map, it was the biggest bg nostalgia moment for for me during my ea playthrus - which imho doesnt really bode well for this iteration of the franchise

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard