Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Oct 2020
F
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
F
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm looking forward to when they release their changes to the "evil" path, new classes/races will also be fine. After Cyberpunk though, I'm perfectly happy with them taking as much time as needed and not talking about hopes and dreams.

Joined: Dec 2020
MrQ Offline
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Dec 2020
I picked up Solasta last month and I am MUCH happier with the more frequent updates. They are also more open about what's going on, plus they respond to their customers on their questions about why some things aren't in the game yet and some that will not be in a detailed and respectful manner. (Plus their combat is a hella lot more fun for the more technical D&D player) I have had two updates since I bought that game, Baldur's Gate has had...none. And I bought it a month before Solasta and payed twice as much.

I feel that the devs here need to be more open with us on the roadmap, scheduled updates, and hotfixes for the game. It seems they were putting out updates frequently after the October release, but now, nothing.

Come on Larian, we need some communication on what's going on, you owe us that...

Last edited by MrQ; 17/01/21 02:00 AM.
Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
If I could get my money back on BG3 I'd throw it at Tactical Adventures for actually providing a good EA experience that actually feels like a 5e D&D game.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

MrQ #751903 17/01/21 03:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
F
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
F
Joined: Oct 2020
In defense of the current lack of communication Mid December to Mid January is pretty dead for most, on and off holidays, January in general is typically a dead month as things are just starting back up. Plus we have the added joy of the ongoing gift that is Covid.

MrQ #751905 17/01/21 04:49 AM
Joined: Nov 2020
R
stranger
Offline
stranger
R
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by MrQ
I picked up Solasta last month and I am MUCH happier with the more frequent updates. They are also more open about what's going on, plus they respond to their customers on their questions about why some things aren't in the game yet and some that will not be in a detailed and respectful manner. (Plus their combat is a hella lot more fun for the more technical D&D player) I have had two updates since I bought that game, Baldur's Gate has had...none. And I bought it a month before Solasta and payed twice as much.

I feel that the devs here need to be more open with us on the roadmap, scheduled updates, and hotfixes for the game. It seems they were putting out updates frequently after the October release, but now, nothing.

Come on Larian, we need some communication on what's going on, you owe us that...

While Solasta does look good you have to remember that they are not operating using the full Players Handbook they are using the Open Gaming License so unless that changes classes like the Warlock and races like Tieflings aren't happening and so far they have no plans to make it multiplayer or allowing multiclassing. If your ok with that going in thats great, after all it still looks like a decent game but don't expect those things to become available or complain when they aren't part of the game, now that being said they have commented that when Modding starts happening anything is possible but of course you are using those at your own risk per say

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
I agree that Larian should give us some kind of roadmap.

The EA begin 3 months ago. Nothing really happen except a few tweak and fix. That's fine, but I'd like to know when we can expect new content, which content they plan for EA and what they plan to improve those bad combats and bad D&D rules/action economy implementation.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/01/21 07:48 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RUNICBLACK
While Solasta does look good you have to remember that they are not operating using the full Players Handbook they are using the Open Gaming License so unless that changes classes like the Warlock and races like Tieflings aren't happening and so far they have no plans to make it multiplayer or allowing multiclassing. If your ok with that going in thats great, after all it still looks like a decent game but don't expect those things to become available or complain when they aren't part of the game, now that being said they have commented that when Modding starts happening anything is possible but of course you are using those at your own risk per say

Sidenote, but both Tieflings and Warlocks are in under the OGL.


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by RUNICBLACK
Originally Posted by MrQ
I picked up Solasta last month and I am MUCH happier with the more frequent updates. They are also more open about what's going on, plus they respond to their customers on their questions about why some things aren't in the game yet and some that will not be in a detailed and respectful manner. (Plus their combat is a hella lot more fun for the more technical D&D player) I have had two updates since I bought that game, Baldur's Gate has had...none. And I bought it a month before Solasta and payed twice as much.

I feel that the devs here need to be more open with us on the roadmap, scheduled updates, and hotfixes for the game. It seems they were putting out updates frequently after the October release, but now, nothing.

Come on Larian, we need some communication on what's going on, you owe us that...

While Solasta does look good you have to remember that they are not operating using the full Players Handbook they are using the Open Gaming License so unless that changes classes like the Warlock and races like Tieflings aren't happening and so far they have no plans to make it multiplayer or allowing multiclassing. If your ok with that going in thats great, after all it still looks like a decent game but don't expect those things to become available or complain when they aren't part of the game, now that being said they have commented that when Modding starts happening anything is possible but of course you are using those at your own risk per say

Which means what, exactly? Larian is currently "operating using the full Player's Handbook" and there have been 10 threads a week for the past 4 months pointing out that the game still somehow doesn't feel like 5e, or D&D at all for that matter. Tactical Adventures did substantially more with Solasta only having a fraction of the resources, and that game is also in EA.

It's about design philosophy and community engagement. Make all of the excuses for Larian that you'd like, but 6 weeks without even a peep? A minor social media check-in to say "Hey, something's coming down the pipeline soon" would be keeping their reputation in better shape. At this point I'd sign an agreement that says that I could never play another Larian game again if I could get back my original $60, and I've been a fan of the company for two decades. The lack of updates around a holiday is somewhat understandable, but a complete lack of communication is unacceptable.

But hey, these things come in waves and we all know that the moment the next hotfix or patch drops, the "YOU SEE? THEY'RE LISTENING! DON'T YOU FEEL LIKE A FOOL?" camp is going to pipe up, and most of the people who are mad will get a reset on their complaints and will revisit that anger after another 6-8 weeks of silence.


I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
6 weeks of silence, where at least 2 weeks was holidays ... oh you poor little sad thing. laugh
Im waiting for some update for Bloodlines 2 for more than 8 months, more than a year and half if you dont count irelevant developer diaries that have zero information value about game itself ... and there was even whole lead team fired and replaced with people with questionable reputation from other unsucesfull projects, like Mass Effect: Andromeda ... that game costs me 90$, and there is weekly stream of dozen other games released under the same studio ... so all they need to do is simply allow Outstar to tell us something there ... we were promised thrice the release date so far, and we dont even know why are they keep delaying it.

My point is: Believe me, it could be much, much, and even much worse. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/01/21 09:01 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
6 weeks of silence, where at least 2 weeks was holidays ... oh you poor little sad thing. laugh
Im waiting for some update for Bloodlines 2 for more than 8 months, more than a year and half if you dont count irelevant developer diaries that have zero information value about game itself ... and there was even whole lead team fired and replaced with people with questionable reputation from other unsucesfull projects, like Mass Effect: Andromeda ... that game costs me 90$, and there is weekly stream of dozen other games released under the same studio ... so all they need to do is simply allow Outstar to tell us something there ... we were promised thrice the release date so far, and we dont even know why are they keep delaying it.

My point is: Believe me, it could be much, much, and even much worse. laugh
While I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, I'm not sure it's a fitting comparison.
For one, Bloodlines 2 looks like it's going to be a complete trainwreck so far, so I wouldn't point it as a proper example of anything...
That aside, it's also not sold in early access (yet?) so they have definitely less obligations about keeping their audience up to date.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Sep 2017
G
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
G
Joined: Sep 2017
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. I wonder what small part of day 1 EA buyers are still playing this game now.

Larian has to have some of the remaining 6 classes or new subclasses added in every 2021 patch in a staggered rollout. EA testing is about finding bugs and glitches and we've only tested a very small part of skills and combinations and mechanics.

gaymer #752075 18/01/21 01:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by gaymer
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. .
I mean, that MAY be the case, but theoretically from this point on every day is potentially a good one for the release.
It could be in the next few hours for all we know.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
I have no prior experience playing with early access games like this and do not even know if this type of thing is semi-common? I previously played rpgs on console and have played none at all on pc. I picked up Stadia and a Stadia controller to give BG3 a spin on my smart tv using Chromecast and I do like this game a lot. I see a very good and playable game in the offing and am trying to work through any and all difficulties that are a part of early access.

That being said, some things within the game are impossible for me on Stadia such as collecting the Druid Grove rewards from Rath for instance. I can not combine items on Stadia, supposedly since I do not have keyboard and mouse capabilities. To me that is something requiring a fix! I also find virtually no forum for support issues available to me for this game on Stadia? It's like "well, we'll gladly sell you this game for you to play around with on Stadia, but the testing feedback that we are considering is from the pc community and perhaps Steam or Gog .... not so much the few of you who foolishly opted to get this on Stadia?'

Maybe that will change, but I've pointed out in a number of ways and forums that prior to patch #3, character creation worked like a charm for me and the patch utterly bollixed that whole menu up. My saves were erased by that patch too and ever since that patch, the most obvious thing that has plagued me is that my characters do not level up, with all of them still at level one, no matter where they are within the story. Right now I have a tiefling fighter that has utterly wiped out the goblin camp and killed their leaders freeing Halsin in the process and all other content in between. He's just breached the Underdark fort and gotten wiped out by the minotaurs, something that I have to believe would be a bit less impossible, if he were not perpetually a level one fighter?

Last edited by Capt.Wells; 18/01/21 02:42 PM.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
gaymer #752080 18/01/21 02:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by gaymer
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. I wonder what small part of day 1 EA buyers are still playing this game now.

Larian has to have some of the remaining 6 classes or new subclasses added in every 2021 patch in a staggered rollout. EA testing is about finding bugs and glitches and we've only tested a very small part of skills and combinations and mechanics.

I stopped playing more than a month ago - and I joined the EA late. I won't return unless it's actually 'worth it' - why play essentially the same stuff over and over? Well, I mean it helps Larian, but I have other games to play and the Real World (TM) to deal with. 'ain't got time' They need to incentivize players if they want to get more feedback. The deafening silence is not reassuring - it's like they ignore the comunity until a patch/update is released. That's not the way to involve people , in my opinion, at any rate. And reliance of analytics to motivate game balancing/design is a poor substitute for actual people. It would be great to see some designated Larian interface person (redshirt? the community can be vicious, but with a title like this, that was always going to be the case...choose someone with a thick skin and AC20+) patrolling the forums to enage and answer questions, comment on suggestions/critiques, show us some of their thinking etc ....if they are here, they're being very discreet hehe

booboo #752093 18/01/21 04:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by booboo
Originally Posted by gaymer
I think patch will be in February due to time off for holidays. I wonder what small part of day 1 EA buyers are still playing this game now.

Larian has to have some of the remaining 6 classes or new subclasses added in every 2021 patch in a staggered rollout. EA testing is about finding bugs and glitches and we've only tested a very small part of skills and combinations and mechanics.

I stopped playing more than a month ago - and I joined the EA late. I won't return unless it's actually 'worth it' - why play essentially the same stuff over and over? Well, I mean it helps Larian, but I have other games to play and the Real World (TM) to deal with. 'ain't got time' They need to incentivize players if they want to get more feedback. The deafening silence is not reassuring - it's like they ignore the comunity until a patch/update is released. That's not the way to involve people , in my opinion, at any rate. And reliance of analytics to motivate game balancing/design is a poor substitute for actual people. It would be great to see some designated Larian interface person (redshirt? the community can be vicious, but with a title like this, that was always going to be the case...choose someone with a thick skin and AC20+) patrolling the forums to enage and answer questions, comment on suggestions/critiques, show us some of their thinking etc ....if they are here, they're being very discreet hehe

To be honest, they have already a lot of feedback and it seems to me that they already have a lot of work to do if they want to change something. Big changes require more time, and guys ask for a patch every 15 days.... But I understand those ppl who want to see road map. Communication with the community is important, I would just like to know what they are working on, what they want to change.


I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Joined: Jan 2021
H
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
H
Joined: Jan 2021
I feel like even if they did say something, it would just be lips service. Externally, they can't address it outside of "we're listening". They have the right to remain silent. Anything they say can and will be used against them on twitter. Just look at Cyberpunk, people dissect every little statement. That's why even if they did say something, it's just gonna be "they're coming", "we hear what you're saying". At the end of the day, we're just ending up in the same place except hearing generic statements. It comes when it comes, even if they did say something, it still wouldn't change the speed. Many of the developers in general avoid road map. Road map creates expectations on the players as well as potentially rushing developers. We end up with a product that satisfy no one.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Hilarian
I feel like even if they did say something, it would just be lips service. Externally, they can't address it outside of "we're listening". They have the right to remain silent. Anything they say can and will be used against them on twitter. Just look at Cyberpunk, people dissect every little statement. That's why even if they did say something, it's just gonna be "they're coming", "we hear what you're saying". At the end of the day, we're just ending up in the same place except hearing generic statements. It comes when it comes, even if they did say something, it still wouldn't change the speed. Many of the developers in general avoid road map. Road map creates expectations on the players as well as potentially rushing developers. We end up with a product that satisfy no one.

This is also true. People are impatient ^ ^


I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Nyloth #752103 18/01/21 05:15 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Nyloth
This is also true. People are impatient ^ ^

I am surprised people are demanding updates and patches. Now if this were a completed game I can understand the complaining and wanting bugs to be fixed.

The only expectation I had was perhaps a patch every few months and hopefully some changes due to suggestions by those who are playing in EA. I don’t expect Larian to cater to my every demand or expect regular updates to the game.

You are not obligated to test this game. Nor is Larian obligated to provide regular patches throughout EA.

Joined: Dec 2020
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Dec 2020
I just think for a company this big and established, they could engage their community a little more. Tactical Games (Solasta) are tiny, so may be easier for them, but they make a concerted effort to engage their EA partcipants and it's a pleasure to see them take suggestons on board, even ones that had them redesign a major home-brewed part of their 5E game.

As it stands the things Larian have tweaked to date (beyond bug fixes) seem quite minor and there are serious issues with their current interpretation of 5E which concern many people. Isn't EA about gathering feedback from the EA participants? If so, surely they should acknowledge that feedback and provide some information on how they plan to improve the game, based on that feedback, through regular updates. That seems completely reasonable. Going silent for long periods does not inspire confidence - that, along with the small changes to date, suggest they aren't really paying serious attention to the player base, and perhaps looking almost exclusively at their player analytics. I guess we'll see soon enough if they have been listening to the more lengthy debates on these forums.

booboo #752108 18/01/21 05:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2021
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Jan 2021
Originally Posted by booboo
I just think for a company this big and established, they could engage their community a little more. Tactical Games (Solasta) are tiny, so may be easier for them, but they make a concerted effort to engage their EA partcipants and it's a pleasure to see them take suggestons on board, even ones that had them redesign a major home-brewed part of their 5E game.

As it stands the things Larian have tweaked to date (beyond bug fixes) seem quite minor and there are serious issues with their current interpretation of 5E which concern many people. Isn't EA about gathering feedback from the EA participants? If so, surely they should acknowledge that feedback and provide some information on how they plan to improve the game, based on that feedback, through regular updates. That seems completely reasonable. Going silent for long periods does not inspire confidence - that, along with the small changes to date, suggest they aren't really paying serious attention to the player base, and perhaps looking almost exclusively at their player analytics. I guess we'll see soon enough if they have been listening to the more lengthy debates on these forums.

Design by analytics has to be one of the most mind numbing ideas I have ever seen.

"Players do what is effective, lets focus on that."

Anyone who has ever been a gamer can tell you what that does.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5