Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lynii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I would prefer to have the option to show the roll rather than the percentage on the to hit indicator when you target a character with a spell or attack etc.. Percentages are nice and all but it takes the DnD feel out and has me feeling like im playing Divinity (not that thats a bad thing but just not what i expect in a BG game.) On the dice rolls for conversations and the like I would prefer the option to Roll first and then apply +modifiers rather than subtract my modifiers from the difficulty class feels more impactful. Other than that there's is a lot of inconsistences I want to complain about in terms of BG spells and their effects (Anyone who has ever used Color Spray in original BG games knows what i Mean by inconsistencies.) and so on but one step at a time i suppose.

Last edited by Lynii; 17/01/21 08:29 AM.

I'm on it, like ugly on an Orc.
old hand
old hand
Yes, I agree. This has been widely discussed before -- and I'm not saying that in a "so you shouldn't have made anothed thread" way but to let you know that there are many people here who have had the same thoughts and agree with you. Hopefully they'll listen.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Lynii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah I had a suspicion there might be other threads but I've always been bad at navigating forums (mainly because I hardly use them) luckily most people don't really mind if you start a repeat thread as long as you aren't intentionally spamming or reposting someone else's thread. I was actually surprised to see when searching about dice discussions most of what I found in other places was people wanting to reduce RNG. Something I would never have thought I'd see in a D&D inspired game. But hey they got their complaints answered according to their Panel From Hell stream so I suppose there's hope for other dice related changes.

And I can definitely see this being changes on a very low priority sine its mostly just quality of life and likely wouldn't make any real impact on outcomes. Aside from adding modifiers to dice rolls I think that definitely would. Just as an example in Pathfinder adding your modifier to your roll essentially means you can never roll below 1+ your modifier. Which makes the points you invest into skills and abilities feel like you are actually adept in those areas. Granted it takes away the ability to critically fail in those areas but I mean logically it would make sense that an adept at something would never critically fail at it defiantly still fail but not critically. I think it would have alleviated a lot of the bad RNG people were complaining about as well ironically.

Last edited by Lynii; 19/02/21 11:02 PM.

addict
addict
+1 Rolls, proficiency, and modifiers let the player know what is actually happening.

There's plenty of room on the screen to have both as well. Percentage can be there before the attack, then the roll could appear on screen with a +2 and +modifier slightly to the right, as the attack animation plays out.

[11]+2+3 makes sense and players will know something was a bad choice if they see [11]+0+3

New players can learn the value of proficiency, immediately.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 19/02/21 11:15 PM.
Lynii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh yeah I mean in pathfinder they do it just using the combat log which I get for most people probably feels like too much screen clutter but i love the combat log. I feel liek the current one in BG3 we have isnt displaying enough info TBH.
I also cant seem to figure out how to have it stay open at all times it just auto-hides itself all the time.

Last edited by Lynii; 19/02/21 11:05 PM.

veteran
veteran
I agree. I already mentioned it in my post, but I would rather have an indication of what I need to roll to hit, rather then the percentage number. It's just another layer of obfiscation between player and mechanics.

And yes, combat log needs a lot of work.

stranger
stranger
I personally didn't have a problem with the percentages (although I didn't bother to calculate them, lol), but I think these are some good points and suggestions in this post.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I agree. I already mentioned it in my post, but I would rather have an indication of what I need to roll to hit, rather then the percentage number. It's just another layer of obfiscation between player and mechanics.

And yes, combat log needs a lot of work.

So when the computer does all the (x/20)^2 calculations for you that is an "obfuscation" ; lol.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard