Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just wanted to go and tackle the fight against Ethel. I made my way down through that poisonious mist and saved. Then the fight started and of course I lost . I didn't really know what to expect, so this was just first try to see, what Ethel can do. I decided tha tfor the second try, I sneak my group to the background where Ethel and her clones are mostly standing, so that my imp and Lae can attack her in melee. The strange thing is, nothing happens. The girl screams that we should go away, but the cutscene with Ethel isn't triggering. I positioned my people and came out of hiding, but nothing. We now can run around freely and even go into the backroom with all the shinies and no Ethel appears. I can't freally free the girl, I can only lower the cage and then she just stands there, screaming. Does anyone know, what to do? I don't want to reload again, because the save before was on anotehr part of the map and I would have to backtrack too much.
Did my stealthing breaking it? But I consulted a guide after my first desastrous fight and the guy did the same thing, stealthing in the background to be closer to Ethel and clones.

I found this video and tried what the guy was suggesting (have Gale in the party), but I torched the whole cave and no Ethel is showing up.

Edit: The cantrip didn't work, but alchemist fire did - a nice, big explosion. And the fight dod go normally after that, Ethel summoned the clones and cloned Maryna and all that.

Last edited by fylimar; 20/12/20 08:55 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
stranger
stranger
T
I have the same problem- I stealthed the area only with astarion and no fight is started- I can‘t even speak with Maryna- she is not reacting. Same situation as you described it.

Stealthing in causes her to glitch. You have to walk in loud and proud.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You can resummon her and do the fight normally with either the above mentioned cantrip from a wizard (which does not always work) or alchemist fire.
I used alchemist fire and she revealed herself and the fight was pretty normal with her cloning herself, then turning into her prisoner and then getting invisible. I like to stealth into dangerous situations and position my party, so I probably will never just stomp into aunties cave.

It's a pretty challenging fight btw.

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I have a question, on my first run after I free Maryna I remember that there was a cave (or climbing stones) that connected the hag's lair to another place in the map. In my current run I would like to enter the lair from that place but for now I've only found the Underdark mushroom portals. Doesn anyone have any info? (I admit that it could be my memory that's playing with me).

journeyman
journeyman
The only one I can think of is the teleport that connects the hag's lair with the outside (close to where the coffin of Mayrina's husband is), but if I am not mistaken you cannot enter the lair from there as you need to activate the portal from inside the lair first.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The teleport is the only thing I know too.

Something strange just happened. I killed auntie Ethel in her hut. There was the normal conversation, I accused her of being a hag, then she sent Mayana away. Normally I attack then, to get the story going, Ethel disappears and you hunt her down in her underground lair. This time however, she stayed and I killed her. The journal updated and what's funny is, that the paicked elf in the cave, who normally tells you doom and gloom stuff after you kill Ethel, was normal now and told me something about his former life, then thanked me and left.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
Yes, killing the hag frees him and the dwarf that has been turned to stone. It should also free the masks in the other room, but I've never been able to interact with them.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Kajsentlyha
Yes, killing the hag frees him and the dwarf that has been turned to stone. It should also free the masks in the other room, but I've never been able to interact with them.

Yes, but when you kill the hag in the underground lair, after you have talked with the panicked elf, he is still gloomy afterwards. He is much more positive, when you haven't talked to him before.

I talked to the masks, but they are still confused, they asked me, where auntie Ethel is. When I said, I've killed her, they didn't believe me and continued searching for Ethel.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
Probably because he hasn't had the chance to see you as a mind flayer. I was just heading to Auntie Ethel. I might give this a try. smile

I'll also try talking to the masks again. I haven't had much luck with them in previous runs.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For science and fun I tried to attack auntie Ethel in the Grove. She just ran away without a word. No one else even noticed anything.

Doctor Who
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by fylimar
For science and fun I tried to attack auntie Ethel in the Grove. She just ran away without a word. No one else even noticed anything.

Interesting and a bit of an incongruity. "The new group just attacked Ethyl. Never mind, not worth worrying about."

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RBarbare
Originally Posted by fylimar

Interesting and a bit of an incongruity. "The new group just attacked Ethyl. Never mind, not worth worrying about."
Yeah, I found that strange too.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
That may be plot-based, so you can still have the chat at the edge of the swamp

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
That may be. This time, I took a shortcut, talked to the froggo and never met Ethel with Mayrinas brothers. They weren't lying dead before the hut too, so maybe in this scenario, they still live. I explicitly watched for them after I killed the redcaps, but nothing, so maybe happy end?

Last edited by fylimar; 02/02/21 09:16 PM.

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
I have always killed her in the tea house. Before interacting place some one in the fireplace and she cannot flee. Likewise hitting her with a menacing attack also seems to keep her from fleeing through the fireplace.

A
addict
addict
A
When I did some testing using an invisible imp as a spy, the brothers drop dead when Ethel teleports to the house. So their bodies can be found at the entrance to the Sunlands. That was in patch 5, though.

Interestingly, Ethel seems to monitor Mayrina, as she will teleport if you attack the girl in the house.

Last edited by ash elemental; 21/11/21 08:30 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard