Print Thread
#752037 18/01/21 04:40 AM
C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I should start off by saying I will always recommend Larian Studios. They are an amazing company. DOS1 & 2 are both masterpieces. With that being said there is a lot of work to do here. As is expected from early access. Lets talk.

Cant ready an action? Bruh.. its D&D.. come'on now. Thats super basic.
Example: In D&D you could ready an action to "Attack the first enemy that attacks our mage." *Has Bow equipped* Now, if any enemy attacks your mage, you would attack that enemy as a reaction. Still only 1 attack for 1 action. But not being able to ready an attack when coming from the D&D mindset really throws me off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBAT
That's one example. Other things in combat -
- Free Item interactions. You should have ONE per turn. Why? So that you cant open a door, shoot all your attacks, then close and lock the door. Rinse and repeat, they cant hit you in game. Needs to be fixed to ONE item interaction per turn per character like in 5e.
-Cant ready an action
-Being able to attack with offhand as a Bonus actions WITHOUT needing to attack with your primary first?? I can Eldrich Blast someone and ALSO attack someone next to me with my offhand? Holy crap.
-Offhand Weapon has Ability Modifiers added WITHOUT Two Weapon Fighting Style? You are so OP at even LvL 1 with this. And a Rogue? Put your stronger weapon on your offhand since there is no penalty and you have 2 bonus actions.
- Taking away the Rogues sneak damage for a Bonus action.
- Pushing, sneaking, jumping all as bonus actions? Attack someone AND push them off a cliff if your attack doesnt kill them?
- Full jump without a running start? You shouldn't be able to disengage via 'jump' every turn to avoid being hit from a reaction.

Action economy in this game is crazy. You can do SO MUCH in a single turn. TOO MUCH imo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEATS
The main problem i am seeing repeatedly is they seem to have given everyone a bunch of free feats that you normally wouldn't get in D&D. The feats are normal. But typically you trade 2 ability points for a Feat. Here they are giving everyone a couple extra for free, it really diminishes the value of certain classes by giving their Feats away for free to everyone.
Even with all this said, this game is improved in every way from DOS2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Die Rolls
They just arent as fun in the game. Maybe if it were a 3D die so you could see it like in person? When you watch your die almost land on a low number but just happens to roll over one more and you end up landing the attack, there is the brief moment of anxiety as you add your modifiers to see if you hit. It takes longer, but it feels better in person. How do we mimic this feeling? Maybe adding a 3D die would help? Idk.

In combat -
The problem in game is doing 2damage looks the same as doing 20 damage. In D&D if you roll low damage numbers then you roleplay it as such. High damage? Then you roleplay accordingly. Maybe you just barely cut the enemy as they almost dodge your attack (2 damage). Or maybe you are fighting a Cat and 2 damage means you swung your sword with ease decapitating the creature. Im not saying we should do this people! But maybe some alternative animations or different effects in battle depending on the damage % dealt?

When my party in D&D are fighting, say, a troll.. they may try to shot at or stab in in the eyes, things like this need to be available in game. Its what makes D&D so amazing and fun. You got some rope? You and a teammate each grab one end and try to trip the Giant!

_______Not done, but thought i would leave it here for now.

veteran
veteran
+1

I don't mind a few bonus actions but shove is really too powerfull and the others are just gimmick (hide during combats is useless, dip) or cheat to the rules (disengage, eating food).

I'm totally for MORE actions/round and faster combats... But to have more actions/round without breaking D&D even more we have to have more characters in our party.

And yea it would be cool to have more animations during combats so they feel less repetitive and static.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/01/21 07:54 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CTru
- Full jump without a running start? You shouldn't be able to disengage via 'jump' every turn to avoid being hit from a reaction.

To begin with I'll say that I am generally on the side that Larian need to aim to be more true to the 5e rules (particularly with actions) so I agree with most of what you're saying; however, for this entry, I think this is already being simulated in-game by you having to sacrifice part of your movement to be able to jump at all. At least I think that's what they're going for there.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Dexai

To begin with I'll say that I am generally on the side that Larian need to aim to be more true to the 5e rules (particularly with actions) so I agree with most of what you're saying; however, for this entry, I think this is already being simulated in-game by you having to sacrifice part of your movement to be able to jump at all. At least I think that's what they're going for there.

Yeah, i can get the movement taken away to balance it out. But being able to disengage with it is pretty overpowered.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
+1

I don't mind a few bonus actions but shove is really too powerfull and the others are just gimmick (hide during combats is useless, dip) or cheat to the rules (disengage, eating food).

I'm totally for MORE actions/round and faster combats... But to have more actions/round without breaking D&D even more we have to have more characters in our party.

And yea it would be cool to have more animations during combats so they feel less repetitive and static.

Hiding is useless? You duck behind a corner to break LOS, then hide. The NPCs wont go looking for a character hiding out of sight. They will go for someone they can see instead, normally. So hiding in game is WAY stronger than in normal D&D. Normal D&D has a real person behind the NPCs. So if someone walks behind a wall and "hides" it doesnt help. But in game mechanics make this easy to abuse and is super strong at controlling the aggro.

D
D
Originally Posted by Dexai

Funny thing is that in tabletop your jump distance is steel restricted by your speed. So even if you might be able to jump 40 feet, but your speed is 30 you will need to dash to jump all the way.
In the game curently jump cost the same amount of speed for everyone. For characters with high strength jump almost equals dash. And if you cast jump spell... you can jump over 50 feet using only 10 feet of speed (numbers aren't exact, but they are close).

(hide during combats is useless, dip)
Currently AI isn't going to look for you. So in 1 on 1 scenario you can hit from the back, and instantly hide. Enemy wont even turn around. Repeat until he is dead. And even a warrior in a clunky plate armor with a greatsword can do it.

veteran
veteran
I was refering to hide to have an advantage because of the backstab mechanic/jump disengage as bonus action.

But you both are right, it looks we can cheat the game even more than I thought.^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/01/21 11:33 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
I should start off by saying I will always recommend Larian Studios. They are an amazing company. DOS1 & 2 are both masterpieces. With that being said there is a lot of work to do here. As is expected from early access. Lets talk.

Cant ready an action? Bruh.. its D&D.. come'on now. Thats super basic.
Example: In D&D you could ready an action to "Attack the first enemy that attacks our mage." *Has Bow equipped* Now, if any enemy attacks your mage, you would attack that enemy as a reaction. Still only 1 attack for 1 action. But not being able to ready an attack when coming from the D&D mindset really throws me off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBAT
That's one example. Other things in combat -
- Free Item interactions. You should have ONE per turn. Why? So that you cant open a door, shoot all your attacks, then close and lock the door. Rinse and repeat, they cant hit you in game. Needs to be fixed to ONE item interaction per turn per character like in 5e.
-Cant ready an action
-Being able to attack with offhand as a Bonus actions WITHOUT needing to attack with your primary first?? I can Eldrich Blast someone and ALSO attack someone next to me with my offhand? Holy crap.
-Offhand Weapon has Ability Modifiers added WITHOUT Two Weapon Fighting Style? You are so OP at even LvL 1 with this. And a Rogue? Put your stronger weapon on your offhand since there is no penalty and you have 2 bonus actions.
- Taking away the Rogues sneak damage for a Bonus action.
- Pushing, sneaking, jumping all as bonus actions? Attack someone AND push them off a cliff if your attack doesnt kill them?

Action economy in this game is crazy. You can do SO MUCH in a single turn. TOO MUCH imo.

FEATS
The main problem i am seeing repeatedly is they seem to have given everyone a bunch of free feats that you normally wouldn't get in D&D. The feats are normal. But typically you trade 2 ability points for a Feat. Here they are giving everyone a couple extra for free, it really diminishes the value of certain classes by giving their Feats away for free to everyone.
Even with all this said, this game is improved in every way from DOS2.

Die Rolls
They just arent as fun in the game. Maybe if it were a 3D die so you could see it like in person? When you watch your die almost land on a low number but just happens to roll over one more and you end up landing the attack, there is the brief moment of anxiety as you add your modifiers to see if you hit. It takes longer, but it feels better in person. How do we mimic this feeling? Maybe adding a 3D die would help? Idk.

In combat -
The problem in game is doing 2damage looks the same as doing 20 damage. In D&D if you roll low damage numbers then you roleplay it as such. High damage? Then you roleplay accordingly. Maybe you just barely cut the enemy as they almost dodge your attack (2 damage). Or maybe you are fighting a Cat and 2 damage means you swung your sword with ease decapitating the creature. Im not saying we should do this people! But maybe some alternative animations or different effects in battle depending on the damage % dealt?

When my party in D&D are fighting, say, a troll.. they may try to shot at or stab in in the eyes, things like this need to be available in game. Its what makes D&D so amazing and fun. You got some rope? You and a teammate each grab one end and try to trip the Giant!

_______Not done, but thought i would leave it here for now.

Yes!!!

C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
- Sneaking, Pushing, Dipping weapon on fire, Should be an action. They made far to many things Bonus Actions in this game. Its not 2 separate actions you get every turn. you get ONE Action. Bonus Actions are just that, a Bonus! It should be treated as such. I go back to 5E on this.

- Dropping an item (candle) should be a free item interaction, of which you should have ONE per turn, like in 5E. It would fall under the same as closing or opening a door.

C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I was refering to hide to have an advantage because of the backstab mechanic/jump disengage as bonus action.

But you both are right, it looks we can cheat the game even more than I thought.^^

You get advantage on your attacks when "hiding." So if you break LOS, and then Hide as a bonus action, you can now see the red on the ground for the enemy sight lines. As long as you dont walk into the red you will stay hidden. Meaning you can use Sneak Attack and get the extra damage. You can do this every turn with your rogue and thus, get your Ranged sneak attack damage off every turn even without a teammate by the enemy.

And Jumping.. If they would take away that it disengages you then it would be fine. In 5e If you take the Disengage Action, your Movement doesn’t provoke Opportunity Attacks for the rest of the turn. Its just another Action they have let you use as a Bonus action and it really messes up the Action economy. There is a reason fewer things are bonus actions in 5e.

Last edited by CTru; 23/01/21 08:51 AM.
C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Bonus Actions
In 5e
Various Class Features, Spells, and other Abilities let you take an additional action on Your Turn called a Bonus Action. The Cunning Action feature, for example, allows a rogue to take a Bonus Action. You can take a Bonus Action only when a Special ability, spell, or other feature of the game states that you can do something as a Bonus Action. You otherwise don’t have a Bonus Action to take.
You can take only one Bonus Action on Your Turn, so you must choose which Bonus Action to use when you have more than one available.
You choose when to take a Bonus Action during Your Turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified, and anything that deprives you of your ability to take Actions also prevents you from taking a Bonus Action.

-------------------------------------------------

So far i think the biggest downs are to many free FEATS they give to everyone.
And to many Bonus actions.

Change these two things to 5e rules and it will solve the action economy issue and smooth out combat.

Last edited by CTru; 23/01/21 12:49 PM.
veteran
veteran

You get advantage on your attacks when "hiding." So if you break LOS, and then Hide as a bonus action, you can now see the red on the ground for the enemy sight lines. As long as you dont walk into the red you will stay hidden. Meaning you can use Sneak Attack and get the extra damage. You can do this every turn with your rogue and thus, get your Ranged sneak attack damage off every turn even without a teammate by the enemy.

And Jumping.. If they would take away that it disengages you then it would be fine. In 5e If you take the Disengage Action, your Movement doesn’t provoke Opportunity Attacks for the rest of the turn. Its just another Action they have let you use as a Bonus action and it really messes up the Action economy. There is a reason fewer things are bonus actions in 5e.

Yea that's what I meant.

Advantage through hide is useless because you can have your advantage just walking arround without triggering an AOO or jumping behind/disengage with your melee or just being higher with your ranged.
At the moment the only thing that makes hiding special/unique in combat is the AI cheat.

On the other hand, even if highground and backstab advantage were removed... Hide would become THE bonus action to use each turn and that would be bad too. Action economy in D&D is pretty well balanced... They should probably follow the rules a bit more.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/01/21 09:52 AM.

M
M
+1 to OP

C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Yea that's what I meant.

Advantage through hide is useless because you can have your advantage just walking arround without triggering an AOO or jumping behind/disengage with your melee or just being higher with your ranged.
At the moment the only thing that makes hiding special/unique in combat is the AI cheat.

On the other hand, even if highground and backstab advantage were removed... Hide would become THE bonus action to use each turn and that would be bad too. Action economy in D&D is pretty well balanced... They should probably follow the rules a bit more.

Ah, got chyuh. And totally, AI cheat is op. But it is in any game, so.. meh. lol, only so much "game" you can take out of the game. But i'm with you on the ruleset. I feel like they should lean more towards the 5E RAW than they have. Lots of early access left so keep bringing the feedback!

C
CTru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by marajango
+1 to OP

opa

Link Copied to Clipboard