Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Nyloth
This is also true. People are impatient ^ ^

I am surprised people are demanding updates and patches. Now if this were a completed game I can understand the complaining and wanting bugs to be fixed.

The only expectation I had was perhaps a patch every few months and hopefully some changes due to suggestions by those who are playing in EA. I don’t expect Larian to cater to my every demand or expect regular updates to the game.

You are not obligated to test this game. Nor is Larian obligated to provide regular patches throughout EA.

We're playing the EA to give feedback and to see how the game evolve before its release. Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?

Isn't sharing and expectations the main purpose of a (60$) EA ?

But I'm sure the next update is going to come soon.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/01/21 06:02 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
We're playing the EA to give feedback and to see how the game evolve before its release. Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?

Sharing feedback and suggestions is fine and is the purpose of EA. Asking for new content because you are bored of what's available, to me, isn't. This is not a complete game nor is it a slow rollout of the full game. It's a testing phase as well as an opportunity for Larian to showcase their product. Even if Larian decided not to patch further until full release, that'd be fine. Sure, they risk going forward with a lot of mistakes and systems a lot of players will hate but it's their prerogative.

I have been very critical of Larian and I can't believe I'm defending them right now. If they choose to ignore the forum posters (which by the way is a very very small minority) then it's up to them. Ultimately I can choose to stop reporting bugs and testing their game. There's plenty to do elsewhere. I hope BG3 becomes great but it's not a huge deal if it isn't. I'll just learn not to purchase another EA from Larian again.

I'm just saying Larian is not obligated to do anything right now.

S
addict
addict
S
No of course not, but sitting behind the anti-consumer practice of a full price EA and saying 'we never said we would do anything after this' is...farcical.

Its actually comical, that we used to get better products for free as a Beta, than this full price Alpha.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
While I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, I'm not sure it's a fitting comparison.
I didnt compare games, just attitude of (absent?) marketing departments. wink

I believe that if gaming industry should learn anything from cyberpunk, its that marketing sells. And keeping in touch with your audience is allways good move.
I dont think that state of game, or "being in EA" is relevant in this case.
Some can deal with this task better, some not so good ... and some (yes, Paradox i look at you again) much, much and even much worse then horribly.

Also, lets be honest with each other ... even if we get update every month, there would be people who would demand it every 2 weeks ... and if we get update every 2 weeks, there would be people who would demand it every week ... and i presume you get the picture. smile

Two notes:
1) If it is, I don't know that they would prevent anyone from doing so.
2) I wonder why people keep repeating that cost ... it would make sence if that would be actualy cost only for EA and you would need to either pay more when its going to be released, or buy finished game again ... but you dont, you allready own the full game, you are just allowed to play beta before release for free. O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
They should take all the time they need. Act I and Act 2 were great in DOS2, however Act 3 and Act 4, the quality dropped significantly. I fully expect the later acts to be a little less fleshed out than what we currently have, after all there aren't as many testers because we only get to play Act 1.

However keep in mind that the existing game already faces a lot of criticism since day 1:

The evil storyline is bad. Siding with the Goblins is poorly written, lacks any incentive, makes no sense and has terrible rewards and likely less content because you kill Tieflings that would otherwise make it to Baldurs gate.

They need to add more npcs favouring the evil storyline, why would anyone decide against helping the grove, after all thats where 99% of players end up going first? And unlike the goblins they won't need dice checks to not get attacked.

The balance is simply terrible:

Candle dip is free and unlimited dip in fire, makes poison bottles obsolete.

Food, Scrolls, healing potionts are too abundant. Food acts as better healing than healing potions during combat.
The game has way too many scrolls, Mages surpass all other casters because they can learn any spell. The headband of intellect is overpowered and causes players to cheat up to 10 stat points of intellect.

The magic items like Circlet of Scorchin ray uses intelligence instead of the Warlock casting stat Charisma, which means its terrible for Warlocks, which would really want an item for more spell casts. All magic items which grant spells should be equally viable by using your characters casting stat.

Shove, Jump is OP. Attacks of opportunity can always be negated and free backstab is always possible due to using jump behind enemy.

The entire resting system needs a big rework.

Short rests are obsolete because Long rests are still unlimited, which makes no sense. Long rests must be limited in some way. On the other hand, a ton of story is tied to long rests, some of these should maybe play out in short rests. At this point players are long resting not because they need to, but because they want to experiecne the story and they would miss out on it otherwise.

veteran
veteran
Oh my ... another one. -_-

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

And rightfully so.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by daMichi

And rightfully so.

Almost as if there are commonly identified faults that should be acknowledged and addressed.

stranger
stranger
Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?
So you don't get upset when all the things they blabbered on about while communicating profusely don't end up making it to the next patch or the final product. Surely the fate of cyberpunk made the concept of overpromise and under-deliver very obvious to everyone. Pushing out half-baked updates doesn't help anyone and will make the development process less efficient, pushing out a patch is no small project on its own and neither is meaningful community interaction. Even if you hire a guy to do nothing but talk to the community you're taking time off of everyone else's day to find out what they're doing and how far along they are, and that's ignoring the first thing I said about giving false hope and empty promises/implications.

Better for them to take their time and meet their internal development goals, documentations and deadlines rather than bored forum users demands.

Scribe #752323 20/01/21 09:16 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Scribe
Almost as if there are commonly identified faults that should be acknowledged and addressed.
Not sure about that ...
Especialy since its the same person repeating the same over and over.

We have few experts of CtrlC + CtrV technique around here. :-/

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lilybun
Why shouldn't we demand update or, at least more communication...?
So you don't get upset when all the things they blabbered on about while communicating profusely don't end up making it to the next patch or the final product. Surely the fate of cyberpunk made the concept of overpromise and under-deliver very obvious to everyone. Pushing out half-baked updates doesn't help anyone and will make the development process less efficient, pushing out a patch is no small project on its own and neither is meaningful community interaction. Even if you hire a guy to do nothing but talk to the community you're taking time off of everyone else's day to find out what they're doing and how far along they are, and that's ignoring the first thing I said about giving false hope and empty promises/implications.

Better for them to take their time and meet their internal development goals, documentations and deadlines rather than bored forum users demands.

Don't get me wrong.

I totally agree that they should take their time.
I'm fine with a release in 2023 or more, the game has many things going wrong according to me so yes, take your time to create 1) the best game you ever made 2) the best following of the legend 3) the best rpg since and for 2 decades.

That said, communications, update, some kind of roadmap, ambitions for the game,... keep players hyped even if there are no new content.

I totally don't care about new content right now (new classes, races, levels, spells,...), but I'll be glad to know a bit what they're working on, what are their priorities and maybe what feedback they focus on after a few months of EA.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/01/21 10:14 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
I'll be glad to know a bit what they're working on, what are their priorities and maybe what feedback they focus on after a few months of EA.

One thing about listening to feedback is that it implies your plans are still malleable and can be changed, which sort of restricts your ability to provide a roadmap especially in a project that doesn't have a set deadline such as this once. I assume a roadmap will come when we are closer to release and the day to day is less of a matter of what and how and more of a matter of when, fingers crossed.

Personally I would love to know how they allocate their time and resources internally and what their workflow is but that's never going to be public knowledge. This is the first early access title I've paid money for so I could at least see the end product unfold first hand patch to patch, backed by Larian's track record of actually finishing games. I gather that most people don't have the same angle on this early access and simply want to play the game, which is understandable :p

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Scribe
Not sure about that ...
Especialy since its the same person repeating the same over and over.

We have few experts of CtrlC + CtrV technique around here. :-/

I think you are selectively reading then.

There are multiple threads discussing similar issues that multiple individuals are coming to the same conclusion independently on.

As of this moment, many corrections are required and we need some updates.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Sharing feedback and suggestions is fine and is the purpose of EA. Asking for new content because you are bored of what's available, to me, isn't. This is not a complete game nor is it a slow rollout of the full game. It's a testing phase as well as an opportunity for Larian to showcase their product. Even if Larian decided not to patch further until full release, that'd be fine. Sure, they risk going forward with a lot of mistakes and systems a lot of players will hate but it's their prerogative.

I have been very critical of Larian and I can't believe I'm defending them right now. If they choose to ignore the forum posters (which by the way is a very very small minority) then it's up to them. Ultimately I can choose to stop reporting bugs and testing their game. There's plenty to do elsewhere. I hope BG3 becomes great but it's not a huge deal if it isn't. I'll just learn not to purchase another EA from Larian again.

I could argue that in these days to think of releasing a beta testing of a game, one that has a big name, in a moment when people has more time to play because of the various lockdowns, when the platform of players is increased dramatically, when people is used, thanks to the politics followed by smartphone apps, to have content on almost weekly, when not daily, basis, without a time table, without considering the chance to add new content, in the area already developed, is a bit naive.

A bored player that get frustrated can become an hotspot of bad reviews, something like "why did you abbandoned the game?" "eh, they're lazy and don't care to put out new content". I know in my hypotethic dialogue there's no pointig out that this is an early release, but how many players, the ones that are casual players and are not so much in the technical stuff, really knew what early access means?

Videogame industry is one that has become incredibly competitive, specially since video gaming spread out the "geek" and "nerd" niches reaching wider and wider audiences, to be competitive in this area means to manage said audience, to take in count that to mantain the attention of people that doesn't belong to the hardcore players, specially since early access is, too, a way to increase funds, maybe give a candy every now and then, the risks is to loss potential players and to irritate people that has access to social media bullhorns to amplify their disappointment.

[Just to be clear, not my case. I am differently concise, social media don't have enough space for my terse style, seriously probably I am of the few that were able to have a facebook post not posted because the lenght was over the 3000 characters laugh laugh laugh ]

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Bufotenina

I could argue that in these days to think of releasing a beta testing of a game, one that has a big name, in a moment when people has more time to play because of the various lockdowns, when the platform of players is increased dramatically, when people is used, thanks to the politics followed by smartphone apps, to have content on almost weekly, when not daily, basis, without a time table, without considering the chance to add new content, in the area already developed, is a bit naive.

A bored player that get frustrated can become an hotspot of bad reviews, something like "why did you abbandoned the game?" "eh, they're lazy and don't care to put out new content". I know in my hypotethic dialogue there's no pointig out that this is an early release, but how many players, the ones that are casual players and are not so much in the technical stuff, really knew what early access means?

Videogame industry is one that has become incredibly competitive, specially since video gaming spread out the "geek" and "nerd" niches reaching wider and wider audiences, to be competitive in this area means to manage said audience, to take in count that to mantain the attention of people that doesn't belong to the hardcore players, specially since early access is, too, a way to increase funds, maybe give a candy every now and then, the risks is to loss potential players and to irritate people that has access to social media bullhorns to amplify their disappointment.

[Just to be clear, not my case. I am differently concise, social media don't have enough space for my terse style, seriously probably I am of the few that were able to have a facebook post not posted because the lenght was over the 3000 characters laugh laugh laugh ]

Sure. I didn’t say it would be a good decision. I just said it’s their choice. wink

I just don’t understand the “I demand” new content business. Everyone knew going into EA, there would be bugs and not all content would be available. Larian is not obligated to offer any more than what we see now. Sure, in a marketing standpoint it may be the wrong decision but it’s their choice.

$60 got you access to EA and the full game at launch. It didn’t give you the right to have regular updated content.

S
addict
addict
S
I dont think its about content. At least for me its not.

I just want to know that the issues that keep being brought up are being looked at, and fixed.

N
N
In my humble opinion, the EA should contain:

All races
All classes
Level cap at least 5 because there are relevant changes that have to be tested (level 3 spells, second action for fighter, paladin, etc.)

veteran
veteran
Wonder if we'll get a surprise patch release before today is gone or if it will slip to the next week once again.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
....a stealth patch?

booboo #752671 22/01/21 03:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by booboo
....a stealth patch?

...What are you asking, exactly?

Because there's nothing "stealth" about the upcoming patch.
We were told in December it would come in January, we can see on the SteamDB that it's getting daily updates recently and we know thanks to Larian's twitter that they are explicitly preparing to release it soon.

Last edited by Tuco; 22/01/21 03:21 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard