Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
To me the money feels about right.

Just enough to feel some greed and not so skimpy that I don't feel compelled to pick up those suits of armor (or whatever) to go sell them. And when I finally get that chest full of coins I feel happy. Ha ha slavers! I've got your money now I'm going use this firebolt to end all of your plans.

stranger
stranger
Probably been mentioned before but compulsive hoarding is a real and genuine medical condition... perhaps worth looking into if this stuff genuinely bothers you. The only real issue I have had with the inventory management is how laggy and barebones it is. In dos2 when you dragged an item over a container in your inventory it went right in, in bg3 they simply swap places. Sorting keeps breaking, you cant sell all wares yet, transitioning between inventory and equipment screens has lag and other quality of life stuff like that.

The actual quantity of items was never even remotely an issue as I purposefully only pick up things I need or might need like food, potions, gold, valuables, keys, quest items and notes (though the game seems to keep track of their contents for you behind the scenes if youve read them), I cant imagine most RP characters being interested in hauling everything that's not nailed along with them even if their DM let them for whatever reason. Personally though I find the lack of backpacks on the character models to be the weirdest thing especially when they're carrying a lot of things on them. I know that its extremely common in video games, same with the lack of quivers for archers, but still odd especially in an RP setting where the back is an equipment slot.

addict
addict
This is excacly what made put the DOS2 down after 10 hours of gameplay. COMMON LARIAN THIS LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A DOS2 INVENTORY!

So many items and item types everything becomes pointless and non essential. Magic stuff feel bland and non unique. Scrolls everywhere, magic swords everywhere... Over 600 food items, and dozens and dozens of cariable of barrels?? WTF Larian. Tidy up your items.
Its not question that <well, If you dont want it, dont pick it up!> Its just that there is so much useless crap stuff out there, AND WE KNOW THIS BY DEFAULT, it makes playing the game totally pointless. Ive got unlimited scrolls, and food, and can get ANY magic items I want...this destroys the atmosphere and OVERDOES what is and inst believable. You SHOULD NOT be able to carry hundreds of items.

I actually LIKE the restriction you had in BG2. 16 slots + 15 including your wearable and quick items. Its ELEGANT, its BELIEVABLE, it makes THINK on what you might need. At worst case you still had bottomless bags and scroll cases anyways. It just felt so much easier and special to have items.

Oh and the BG2 inventory screen just destroys BG3 in style and ease of use. Fix the UI!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 20/01/21 12:11 PM.
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
This is excacly what made put the DOS2 down after 10 hours of gameplay. COMMON LARIAN THIS LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A DOS2 INVENTORY!

So many items and item types everything becomes pointless and non essential. Magic stuff feel bland and non unique. Scrolls everywhere, magic swords everywhere... Over 600 food items, and dozens and dozens of cariable of barrels?? WTF Larian. Tidy up your items.
Its not question that <well, If you dont want it, dont pick it up!> Its just that there is so much useless crap stuff out there, AND WE KNOW THIS BY DEFAULT, it makes playing the game totally pointless. Ive got unlimited scrolls, and food, and can get ANY magic items I want...this destroys the atmosphere and OVERDOES what is and inst believable. You SHOULD NOT be able to carry hundreds of items.

I actually LIKE the restriction you had in BG2. 16 slots + 15 including your wearable and quick items. Its ELEGANT, its BELIEVABLE, it makes THINK on what you might need. At worst case you still had bottomless bags and scroll cases anyways. It just felt so much easier and special to have items.

You nailed it there. When rare and exotic items are readily available in abundance, they then by definition become commonplace and their value is diminished. Having an overabundance of gold in the first Act is a similar issue.

It strikes me that so far Larian have seemingly made the decision to dispense with anything that could be a link to the previous BG games, despite several of the mechanics etc from BG1 & 2 being superior to BG3. Whether this is for reasons of pride in wanting to stamp their own vision on the game or the limitations of their game engine or even something else, I do not know. Currently the only familiar things to me are the game title and the token 'venture forth' prompt.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

Yeah i agree with this. Limited inventory and multi-tile items would be best in my opinion.

S
stranger
stranger
S
My thoughts on the subject: I like that going Greyhawk is an option in this game. It is one thing that has always impressed me about Larian’s games, and reducing player freedom in a game meant to simulate D&D seems like a bad idea.

If nicking the silverware is a *serious* problem, make the silverware have weight. Still nickable, but encumbrance will prevent people from taking everything. Just like in D&D.

T
T
Like if they want to shower the players with gold for easier difficulties no problem, but definetly 84,694 gold pieces with lvl 4 adventures in a party of 4 seems a dire issue. Imagine when we reach lvl 10. Gear and equipment gonna be trivial and there will be no choice or planning from the player part in other to gear up and overcome the difficulties the party is being challenged with.

journeyman
journeyman
I fully agree with inventory management being atrocious in BG3, something that was a big issue in Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 as well. There is just so much junk and so many free items, it devalues the worth of the magical items and resources you find. Just picking up stuff to vendor is a nobrainer as well, you just need the strength but with a party (or even a solo character with good STR) that is a no brainer. The other infinity engine games (And even games like Diablo, NWN etc) had inventory management. It made sense, it required some thought (And it gave containers/gembegs/scrollcases/bags of holding a lot of value too). That layer is kind of gone and everything inventory and loot related in BG3 feels like a chore and a drag, not rewarding while selling loot should be a rewarding moment.

What makes this situation in my opinion even worse is all the random junk you see when you use the Highlight key (default alt) and see all the plates and candles and other random stuff too. The fact that you even find this junk in chests is a bit of an insult to the injury, along it being tedious to doubleclick every item you want to handpick from the chests over the "Loot all" option. Selling/bartering is also a chore and tedious which does not really help, when you need the money and thus need to pick up all the junk to make some.

Last edited by TheFoxWhisperer; 21/01/21 08:36 AM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The game put limits. Weight. With some characters three barrels make the toon unable to move because there's too much stuff in the inventory.

There's also the fact that hoarding at such level is time wasting (by the way I wouldn't use a person with OCD as a paragon for how to approach a game), there's also the fact that things like resurrection scrolls have high cost, same goes for high level spell scrolls and serious magic armor.

Another balancing factor is the fact that some bosses are quite difficult for the average player (and the average player is not what we see in this forum, we are seasoned players, some with a more casual approach others with a more thoughtful one).

From my experience this game, like the OSD, is just like all other games that aim to broader audience, in games that are designed for more limited platform of consumers like Vampyr, Sinking City, the Call of Cthull'u, the items are way lower, in wich you can pick up everything (to my mind come the Bethesda Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, from Obsidian I can easily name The Outer Worlds), and the drop rate is lower than that of mmorpgs.

And, again, immersion is just a word. The moment you willingly search for things that broke your immersion it's your decision not a real issue.

I played my first run and didn't even noted many of the things listed in so many, too many, posts. Posts that to me are nothing to do with immersion, beta testing or whatever the aim of an early release is, but with the intention of find something that annoys and gave reason to complain.

I can understand the weird feeling of having a message that stats that time is passing, to have quests that have a time trigger, but not to have an actual passing of time (it's always a sunny temperate day with the sun high in the sky, corpses don't rot), the fact that, even if with this kind of graphic motor to implement rides is impossible, there are no signs of horses or other animals used for transport, I get the tech and graphic issues.

I can not understand the aimed search for things that annoy ourselves.

What's the point, other that satisfy our own ego and habits, of hoarding for the sake of it?

It doesn't add anything to the improvement of the game, not for the average player, not for the casual player (I lost count of how many times I haven't enough gold to resurrect the companions or my toon).

veteran
veteran
In BG1/2 playing as a villain was a lot more expensive than playing as a lawful do gooder type, mainly because you had to manage your reputation in order to keep from getting harassed by guards constantly. It had a solid RP angle for charlatans and thieves in the mix, with a fair amount of middling corruption and bribes to go around. Plot points to encourage throwing more money at the problem for payoffs to cover your tracks and staying greedy to keep the crew in line. Basically the game needs a separate black market type economy to serve as a gold sink and to accommodate the thieves and murder hobos but also making it harder to go full dragon horde on the haul. Right now temples don't serve much of a purpose, and there are no followers on retainer, or stronghold type cash sinks. It'd have been nice to see more of the city in the EA, to see how that stuff is meant to work

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
The game put limits. Weight. With some characters three barrels make the toon unable to move because there's too much stuff in the inventory.

There's also the fact that hoarding at such level is time wasting (by the way I wouldn't use a person with OCD as a paragon for how to approach a game), there's also the fact that things like resurrection scrolls have high cost, same goes for high level spell scrolls and serious magic armor.

Another balancing factor is the fact that some bosses are quite difficult for the average player (and the average player is not what we see in this forum, we are seasoned players, some with a more casual approach others with a more thoughtful one).

From my experience this game, like the OSD, is just like all other games that aim to broader audience, in games that are designed for more limited platform of consumers like Vampyr, Sinking City, the Call of Cthull'u, the items are way lower, in wich you can pick up everything (to my mind come the Bethesda Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, from Obsidian I can easily name The Outer Worlds), and the drop rate is lower than that of mmorpgs.

And, again, immersion is just a word. The moment you willingly search for things that broke your immersion it's your decision not a real issue.

I played my first run and didn't even noted many of the things listed in so many, too many, posts. Posts that to me are nothing to do with immersion, beta testing or whatever the aim of an early release is, but with the intention of find something that annoys and gave reason to complain.

I can understand the weird feeling of having a message that stats that time is passing, to have quests that have a time trigger, but not to have an actual passing of time (it's always a sunny temperate day with the sun high in the sky, corpses don't rot), the fact that, even if with this kind of graphic motor to implement rides is impossible, there are no signs of horses or other animals used for transport, I get the tech and graphic issues.

What's the point, other that satisfy our own ego and habits, of hoarding for the sake of it?

It doesn't add anything to the improvement of the game, not for the average player, not for the casual player (I lost count of how many times I haven't enough gold to resurrect the companions or my toon).

I think the point of this whole discussion on items isn't about hoarding stuff, it is used as an example that there are way too many junk items, magic items, food, scrolls etc etc.. throughout the world. Nearly every merchant has magic weapons. Nothing feels special due to this.
Very boring, aggravating itemization breaking immersion. Magic items feel...completely non-magical, devoid of soul, just for higher stat numbers like in DOS2. And of course got to have your green magic item, blue, purple , red etc...

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 21/01/21 03:04 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bufotenina

I agree with that. I don't know how people can collect so much gold just by playing the game. They are not playing, they are hoarding things, perhaps because they are bored or lack of game content while waiting for a patch.
I did not collect more than 3k golds in the game, I collected the most necessary or useful things, and only sometimes garbage to sell it. I even collected stones in the underdark, although collecting them is really boring and not necessary at all. It's just easier to take them than to pick up everything else. (for sell)

I never picked up a barrel! Not once! I did it in DOS 2 for Fane, because acid cures him, and it's rly hard to find poison in small bottles. But in BG3 I just dont need this.

People spoil themselves atmosphere, make the game easier, the barrel is too heavy, even one, I would think 300 times before taking it.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Not to say, that there aren't too many items. But apart from Vampire Bloodlines I have that problem in every rpg out there. Maybe devs think, that role players are hoarders, don't know.
I would wish for less clutter though.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
It's not just that there is too much stuff, or too much money, or that some players are hording rather than selling or consuming their inventory...

Its that there just isn't anything to spend the money on other than more stuff.

Nobody asks you for any money in this game, and everything you do is free in BG3.
In BG1 and especially in BG2, everything had a cost in gold.

Resting costs us nothing here, whereas in the earlier games you had to spend money just to sleep unless you were outdoors.

Information is also basically free in BG3. Nobody really demands a bribe or a pay-off before telling you what they know. They just volunteer the info. There are no bars or barkeeps to offer us rumor mills after emptying our wallets and downing a horn of ale or 2 dozen.

Healing is free and there's no need to raise dead or seek out temple resurrection. There are no curses to remove and stuff of that sort, and no priests to take your gold from the collection plate. Reputation doesn't need to be managed and doesn't seem to matter all that much for the kinds of encounters you face or the ability to move freely in-town. Merchant reactions/prices just seem based on Charisma and "friends" is a cantrip now.

Merchants also don't have hidden stock, reserved only for trusted customers with deep pockets.

Stealing is relatively simple and regular merchants are perfectly happy to buy stolen goods, so there is no cost associated with fencing loot.

Potions and scrolls and other consumables can be found all over the place, so instead of spending money on essential potions and spells we can just collect the freebies.

Quests and dungeon crawling award plenty loot in BG3, but rarely require any money to initiate or complete.

Its not like Zevlor says "its going to cost us a small fortune to get to Baldur's gate! How will we ever raise the money?" or if the Goblins demanded "regular tribute not to kill you on sight!" Or if Minthara needed "10,000 gold, for the Absolute! No excuses" or whatever.

The only cash sink seems to be Gale's need to eat enchanted equipment, which is a poor substitute for all that other stuff that typically put a strain on Charname's purse in the old games.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 21/01/21 09:35 PM.
addict
addict
So, in answer to the OP's original question. No, there is not a problem with too much stuff being available; the problem is that you can pick it all up and keep it.

Back in the mists of ancient time, when I was playing with friends using OD&D rules (i.e. whatever rules you think are best), we had reasonable limits to the volume and mass that were considered portable. If you wanted to take more, you needed pack animals or some magical assistance.

Early video games used various "reasonable" mechanisms to limit player acquisition syndrome, but as the paying audience has expanded to less detail-oriented players, most of the limitations have disappeared.

Most games also have utterly rubbish economies, particularly if they try to implement crafting systems, and rarely consider animals for their real-world roles in transport and commerce.

T
Banned
Banned
T
After you got the Magical items question is rather what do with all the money???

They could in ACT 2 my suggestions to be able to buy in city Baldurs Gate 2.

1. Buy one house for yourself.. example Mansion if really rich in this game. If you have children, but I doubt we can make children in this game you could spend a lot of money on their future set up a trust fund for them.
2. In addition to your romance... have a paid Escort one favorite one expensive to pay. Yes I want full adult content.
3. A Bordell see option 2.
4. Hire an Mercenary band to do something... example Guard this or Escort.
5. If Evil hire an Assassin to ...
6. Do good to others. Donate money to the city poor. Donate money to City so they have money to pay guards. Donate money to your deity Church. Donate money to Music or Art whatever is your passion.
7. Donate money for a building project whatever you want example Zoo in Baldurs Gate 3... or whatever is your passion.
8. Go with money in your romance. Buy your loved something really expensive jewelry very expensive Diamonds.
9. Be member of VIP Swingers Club like they might have in Germany. Membership is not free.
10. Be a member of a landlord club of your country and membership costs money and also their events example sea voyage together travel and to eat expensive restaurant food on the ship. I am that in real life member of such organisation that all members are landlords.
11. Be member of luxury Club that have sports and SPA and Swimming areas etc.
12. Donate money to a special secret organisation example Harpers.
13. Waste money partying drink booze and pay for expensive food etc.

I am very far from poor in fact I am landlord in real life and many would consider me wealthy the so called Upper Middle Class in net wealth google it if you do not know what that is? That being said I am not millionaire as in one million euro net value (that is more then 1 million dollar, but I am used to Euro currency and live in Europe.) Prostitution is legal in my country in Europe and I do not see anything illegal in it as long as it is adults and voluntary and not forced.

It could be nice to be rich millionaire in Baldurs Gate 3. Remember this is Act 1. How rich will you be at end of Act 2?

Last edited by Terminator2020; 23/01/21 06:50 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
After you got the Magical items question is rather what do with all the money???

1. Buy one house for yourself.. example Mansion if really rich in this game. If you have children, but I doubt we can make children in this game you could spend a lot of money on their future set up a trust fund for them.
2. In addition to your romance... have a paid Escort one favorite one expensive to pay. Yes I want full adult content.
6. Do good to others. Donate money to the city poor. Donate money to City so they have money to pay guards. Donate money to your deity Church. Donate money to Music or Art whatever is your passion.
7. Donate money for a building project whatever you want example Zoo in Baldurs Gate 3... or whatever is your passion.
8. Go with money in your romance. Buy your loved something really expensive jewelry very expensive Diamonds.
9. Be member of VIP Swingers Club like they might have in Germany. Membership is not free.
10. Be a member of a landlord club of your country and membership costs money and also their events example sea voyage together travel and to eat expensive restaurant food on the ship. I am that in real life member of such organisation that all members are landlords.

I am very far from poor in fact I am landlord in real life and many would consider me wealthy the so called Upper Middle Class in net wealth google it if you do not know what that is? That being said I am not millionaire as in one million euro net value (that is more then 1 million dollar, but I am used to Euro currency and live in Europe.) Prostitution is legal in my country in Europe and I do not see anything illegal in it as long as it is adults and voluntary and not forced.

It could be nice to be rich millionaire in Baldurs Gate 3. Remember this is Act 1. How rich will you be at end of Act 2?

The Sims: BG3 Edition?
/headslap No. Just...No.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

The Sims: BG3 Edition?
/headslap No. Just...No.
Fine skip most parts. However include full nudity like in Witcher 3. Stop having only soft romanticism thank you.

To be honest did I expect them to include all those things? No not really example doubt we can buy mansion in this game or join a landlord or swinger club or health spa club or sports club gym.

Has it been done in other games?
Witcher 3 has nudity.
Pillars of Eternity 1 you actually inherit an old Castle mansion in really bad shape and top of that imagine that you inherit debts and problems old foes to castle with that. Maintaining the Castle and building it to glory is a big part of Pillars of Eterrnity 1.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 23/01/21 05:25 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I'll start this off with around 11,000

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've got around 8k

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard