Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Ferros Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
F
Wyll, as a warlock, has the class feature to use the disguise self ability, which can make him appear as someone else. However, when Wyll uses said ability and then interacts with his goblin adversaries, the goblins immediately recognize and interact with Wyll based on their history.

This does not make sense, given that Wyll could look like a drow female to them, and yet they still say "look what we have here, the blade of frontiers."

This should be addressed by having the goblins react to Wyll as though he were a random adventurer of the race he is disguised as, while perhaps Wyll's hostility or emotion at seeing his adversaries could be conveyed to us through our tadpole connection. This way the party knows the interaction is important to Wyll, but the disguise self ability is being properly respected by the npcs.

As a side note, I also noticed an inconsistency in Wyll's first story interaction with a named goblin. Spoilers ahead. Wyll asks us not to kill the goblin at first so Wyll can interrogate him. However, after we interrogate the goblin, Wyll communicates to us through the tadpole that he now wants the goblin dead, since he has gotten the information he needs out of him. When we oblige, and choose the dialogue option to kill the goblin, Wyll responds by giving us the dialogue he would have given us had we killed the goblin in the first place, as though the interrogation never took place. Wyll expresses his frustration in our failing to let the goblin live to be interrogated, even though we had already interrogated the goblin, and Wyll had even expressed his desire for us to kill the goblin after the interrogation. The game should properly recognize what occurred in this interaction, rather than always acting as though Wyll's requests went unfulfilled if the goblin dies at any point, even if after the interrogation and at Wyll's request.

Banned
Banned
LoL - that is indeed disappointing.

I stopped using the "genderswap" when I noticed the voice not changing too.
Cause immersion > everything else.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Good find. Disquise self is going to be tricky to get right, so Larian probably needs all the feedback on situations like these that they can get.

Here is the discreption of the spell as of PHB:

You make yourself--including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person--look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.

The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.

To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.

-----------

So the spell description says nothing about the voice. I would leave that up to the DM.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by daMichi
Here is the discreption of the spell as of PHB:

You make yourself--including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person--look different until the spell ends or until you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller and can appear thin, fat, or in between. You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs. Otherwise, the extent of the illusion is up to you.

The changes wrought by this spell fail to hold up to physical inspection. For example, if you use this spell to add a hat to your outfit, objects pass through the hat, and anyone who touches it would feel nothing or would feel your head and hair. If you use this spell to appear thinner than you are, the hand of someone who reaches out to touch you would bump into you while it was seemingly still in midair.

To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.

-----------

So the spell description says nothing about the voice. I would leave that up to the DM.

Yep, you would usually use minor illusion or the actor feat to speak to someone that knows you or your disquise. If you don't have those, it's better to just let your party do the talking and for you to grey man into the background.

I hope the fix how buggy Wyll's scenes are. I'm not surprised putting disguise on him doesn't change his scenes because they are so bugged to begin with. People found that NOT bringing him along to the places he requests, as well as setting up the Spike scene before getting him was the only way to open up his dialogue.

It's a shame too because he's a pretty normal character compared to the others, and I think people would appreciate that.

Link Copied to Clipboard