Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
enthusiast
enthusiast
What all races were in the tome of foes?

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
I can't imagine a goblin being allowed in Baldur's Gate, if they're not being killed on sight by everyone and their grandmother.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
What all races were in the tome of foes?
The Gith are the only new player race in Tome of Foes.

Last edited by grysqrl; 24/01/21 12:14 AM.
stranger
stranger
Would love to see this.

journeyman
journeyman
Lizard Man Kind ... always would like to play one.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Add Aasimar and I'll be happy.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
One of the things I would really like to have in BG3 is the monster playable races in BG3 that you can play as in Volo's Guide to Monsters if you could add any monster race into BG3 what would it be I would go for the Yuan-ti pureblood I have a bit of a soft spot for the Yuan-ti
^ Thisssssssssss!!!

There is literally EVERY reason to add yuan-ti purebloods, but here are some of the better ones:

- Precedent. Yuan-ti purebloods have already been featured in the D&D ruleset, novels, and video games as playable protagonists, so it only makes sense to continue that trend.

- Lore. Yuan-ti have tons of awesome lore, which it would be easy to sprinkle into the game as they've done with the other races.

- Plot Hooks. There's TONS of reasons why a yuan-ti pureblood would be in Baldur's Gate. Spying for their leaders? Escaping their oppressive caste system? Starting a creepy snake cult? The possibilities are endless!

- Strong Counterpoint to Mind Flayers. Just like the drow, yuan-ti often have dealings with mind flayers. Apart from some nice lore tidbits as mentioned previously, there could be opportunities for interesting player/story choices.

- 'Themed' Race. Let's face it, purebloods are the aasimar/tiefling/genasi of yuan-ti. Hence they fit into that same niche - obviously players want 'monstrous' characters, or this thread wouldn't be here to start wink

- Character Options. Yuan-ti purebloods have lots of great options for characters! +2 to Cha, +1 to Int is great for a variety of casters, poison immunity & magic resistance are super helpful, and the themed spellcasting is on-brand. Also, if they implement selectable Warlock patrons, Dendar would be an obvious A+ option.

- Great Evil Option, Interesting Good Option. Yuan-ti purebloods would be right at home with vampire spawn, sharran clerics, ruthless githyanki warriors, and any other evil party members. But a yuan-ti pureblood trying to escape that evil life would also get along with reluctant warlocks or possible lunkhead rangers & their miniature giant space hamster companions...

- Already Coded (Sort Of). From datamined info, yuan-ti pureblood player tags are already in the game. Might as well make use of them!

- They're F**king Rad! EVIL. SNAKE. PEOPLE! Slithering around! Making sinister plans! They're peak D&D aesthetic!

So in conclusion, yuan-ti purebloods should be available as player characters in Baldur's Gate 3, because they are clearly superior to all the mammal races. Thank you and Praise Dendar!

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
i want my Yuant-ti, I want my Yuan-ti... i will have my yuan-ti or i'll send poisonous snakes to Larians's studios è_é smile

Yuan-Ti pureblood could work

enthusiast
enthusiast
I did fined it odd that the Yuan-ti purebloods got group up with the Goblins as a race in Volo's Guide to Monsters Yuan-ti purebloods are more like Tieflings that they have about 15% of snake blood in them it even says in the book that they mostly look like Humans anyway

I have seen that before in a YouTube video but that might just be for the disguise self spell I would be happy if we do get the Yuan-ti purebloods as a playable race but I don't see it happing but than again I have seen a race tag for the Warforged in a YouTube video so we might get them but my bet is on we getting them in a DLC later

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Definitely interested in playing the goblinoids!
Several other monster races as well.

Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Originally Posted by Scribe
Goblins already have models, so I would think they could be implemented pretty quick.
No, not in an immersive and believable way. You would have to change most dialogues, many quests (tieflings not letting you in at all...) etc.

Dream on, dreamers. I would be pleasantly surprised if even the non-mainstream races present in PHB are implemented well in this regard (except Drow maybe - fan service and thus money dictates Drow must be handled well).

While I personally think it's unlikely we see goblinoid playable characters I'm going to hard disagree with your assessment here. There are many interesting and creative ways to get around the stigma of a racial choice. Persuasion checks, Disguise Self, Charm Person. Letting other party members take point during certain interactions. Foregoing certain areas may well be a consequence but it's not like we wouldn't know that going in, although having said that I'm not convinced we would be 100% barred from entering into the grove as a goblin.

Larian is already working on making specific dialogue options for various races and classes, and they have a talented writing team. I'm sure if they were interested they'd find a way to make it work.

Last edited by RatPackGamer; 26/01/21 05:53 AM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Bobberuchi
Goblins are kind of weak and not terribly smart. Kind of limited.

Wouldn't that be up to the PC's stats? wink (Edit: Also, I don't necessarily see a problem with playing a character that isn't smart)

Definitely want to play the goblinoids.

WotC has repeatedly said various races can have members that deviate from the norm. There are PC stats in the books because people like to play them.

Last edited by RatPackGamer; 26/01/21 05:44 AM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Hilarian
I can't imagine a goblin being allowed in Baldur's Gate, if they're not being killed on sight by everyone and their grandmother.

I think there's a strong argument to be made that a place like Baldur's Gate would be more willing to let in a goblin or hobgoblin than someplace like Candlekeep. And even then, part of the fun of playing the monster races is working around issues like this, creatively. Disguise Self, Charm person. Massively high Charisma and persuasion, etc. Simply letting one of your other party members go in instead. I don't think it's impossible.

addict
addict
I have no arguments against any of the races suggested in this thread.

I just want to point out that we still officially don't have orcs/half-orcs in this game and that I really want to have the option of roleplaying as one.

Ideally as an actual orc, because half-races are lame. (Half-elves are lame too.)

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am still rather intrigued by that one race tag, said one in question.

Half Races would be cool if they weren't all friggin' Human hybrids.
I'd love some hybrids that weren't Human Based.
Like, say, A Dwarf Orc Hybrid.
Or a Fey'ri.
Like there are some great ones you could come up with, but always with the humans.
Friggin' tired of the HuMaN pOtEnTiAl.

Last edited by Kou The Mad; 26/01/21 03:01 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
I'd love some hybrids that weren't Human Based.
Like, say, A Dwarf Orc Hybrid.
I think it all just gets too messy and annoying.

I suppose if you wanted to go all-in on it, you could maybe choose 2 races per character and allow for full hybridisation. That might be interesting.

But I still think that means less room for unique and interesting species.

I think it's better for to describe these as separate species rather than races -- meaning yes, an elf can date an orc/dwarf/human/dragonborn/warforged/etc, but they can't make babies except with other elf subraces (which would just be called races).

Honestly, I also think it's interesting to take this a step further and abolish humans. Just remove the lazy option altogether.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not sure on full Orcs but from datamining half Orcs will be in BG3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
enthusiast
enthusiast
We've seen plenty of Half Orcs, in cities. Drow have walked through sword coast cities in FR, under certain circumstances. NWN had a Kobold Bard if memory serves. I see no reason a single Goblin would be barred, much less killed on sight, in Baldur's Gate, at least by officials. Now, the reaction of the general population might be different, but again, I stray goblin might not be unusual in a dock warehouse or other low end district, while they would likely be less welcome in the wealthier parts of town - though even there, I can see a well known wizard or wealthy "oddball" keeping a goblin as a "novelty" retainer or servant. And there is plenty of room for a goblin of "ill repute" working in the underbelly of the city.

A goblin PC would certainly be exposed to very different experiences than your typical Elf for certain. I could even see the Goblin character having to arrange entry to Baldur's Gate via less approved methods, and perhaps after fulfilling some incidental quests that put them on the government's radar in a positive manner, some form of "we'll officially allow you to hang and even do stuff for us, but better be on your best behavior or else" response.

Depends on whether the devs feel it is worth expending their resources on this, but a route of this kind for "outsider" type races such as goblins, kobolds, svirneblin, and so on would be fun to try - especially if given "good" and "evil" routes.

old hand
old hand
Remove humans? Why would you want to remove the most interesting race?

Originally Posted by RatPackGamer
Definitely interested in playing the goblinoids!
Several other monster races as well.

Originally Posted by DiDiDi
Originally Posted by Scribe
Goblins already have models, so I would think they could be implemented pretty quick.
No, not in an immersive and believable way. You would have to change most dialogues, many quests (tieflings not letting you in at all...) etc.

Dream on, dreamers. I would be pleasantly surprised if even the non-mainstream races present in PHB are implemented well in this regard (except Drow maybe - fan service and thus money dictates Drow must be handled well).

While I personally think it's unlikely we see goblinoid playable characters I'm going to hard disagree with your assessment here. There are many interesting and creative ways to get around the stigma of a racial choice. Persuasion checks, Disguise Self, Charm Person. Letting other party members take point during certain interactions.

And all of these would require even more changes to dialogue or additional dialogue.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Half-orcs and deep gnomes aren't really the same as goblins at all.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard