Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 46 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 45 46
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vallis
Originally Posted by Starlights
Originally Posted by Goldberry
Actually, you guys are going a little too off-topic now.

Well, comparing photos between genders will inevitably bring something sexist along the way and that's how I felt invited to come n' chipping in.

Originally Posted by Goldberry
I still think that all of the half elven heads are better than all of the elven heads.

Perhaps it respect some universal rules about beauty, mixte-race "generally" has a better percentage for beauty. That was established by Darwin, though the study is a bit more complex than that.

Nonetheless, female characters seems to be design to attracts the boys & the lunatics with false belief that 80% of gamers are boys .. and the few of us girls, (according to that false assumption) we get the last pic in the bag of faces for male characters IF we want the equivalent.

That, perhaps, is a sign that there's a need for more female game developers. If we had more female dev, there would be more equity between genders and to the point, between races - that's quite an assumption I'm making here.

So basically, once again, with the example about the Githyanki's armour, it would have the same look on a female character or male character - either we see the butt cheek for both male/female or both are fully padded or adjusted the same way. (I don't like the fully padded, neither the "butt cheek" version, I would adjusted so it's not that "sexy" and it's not that big either).

-S

Why are people complaining about beautiful women? We like to look at attractive people, we are a vain species, pretending otherwise is coping, the Men are just as attractive in this game so I don't see the arguement. It seems like people are less concerned with elves looking too human, and more concerned over half elves "looking better" than actual elves in their opinion, because they BOTH look pretty human. Video games should not serve as platforms to boost players own self esteem, there's people to talk to for that, they should look representitive of the artist direction. I honestly feel for these developers, because they're trying to portray their own artistic vision, while having to deal with the various people with their own personal issues who think the artist's work should cater to them specifically and be their own personal therapy so to speak, and when you have a bunch of different people wanting different things specifically catered to them, that direction gets lost, part of the reason these big AAA developers have been stumbling in this era of games is listening TOO much to player feedback, or atleast not the right kind of constructive feedback, rather they listen to the people who think they should make their game. Trying to make games for everyone, instead of the game they set out to make. "Why isn't this character this sexuality I wanted to romance that one!" "why does this character look this way, it should look like how I want". This not only damages characters in the development process, but the entire game as a whole. Anyway having more female developers =/= a better product, afterall more females at CD projekt red worked on Cyberpunk 2077 than they did on Witcher 3, and one of those games became one of the biggest rpg's of all time, the other, the biggest blunder since Fallout 76. So gender does not make a product good. Talent does, only talent

Apologies for the mini rant, but i'm just tired of this rhetoric, this rhetoric has already destroyed many of the AAA developers from Bioware to Bethesda to now CD Projekt and people insist on destroying the few we have left making quality games. Gamers need to get back to constructive criticisms, gaming mechanics, combat, writing etc etc and stop trying to turn the games into their own personal mod. Just play Skyrim instead and you can morph the entire game how you see fit LOL

But yes, most gamers are boys that's a fact, infact despite Ubisoft making Kassandra of Assassins Creed the canon character 80% of players still chose Alexios. And it was the same for Mass Effect and Commander Shepard, despite how hard they pushed femshep after 3. What does that tell you. Keep in mind here no one is saying girls aren't or can't be gamers, boys can play with barbies too. But the fact is, barbies are by and large sold to girls.

Don't apologize, Vallis. You are the one who has been making the most sense here, and you express yourself very clearly in your writing, so kudos! And yeah, I agree 100% w everything you said.

"Gender does not make a product good. Talent does, only talent." Truth!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Talking Skull
[quote=Vallis]Apologies for the mini rant, but i'm just tired of this rhetoric, this rhetoric has already destroyed many of the AAA developers from Bioware to Bethesda to now CD Projekt and people insist on destroying the few we have left making quality games. Gamers need to get back to constructive criticisms, gaming mechanics, combat, writing etc etc and stop trying to turn the games into their own personal mod. Just play Skyrim instead and you can morph the entire game how you see fit LOL

But yes, most gamers are boys that's a fact, infact despite Ubisoft making Kassandra of Assassins Creed the canon character 80% of players still chose Alexios. And it was the same for Mass Effect and Commander Shepard, despite how hard they pushed femshep after 3. What does that tell you. Keep in mind here no one is saying girls aren't or can't be gamers, boys can play with barbies too. But the fact is, barbies are by in large sold to girls.
I completely agree with this. I'd also like to remind the people who brought up sexism to look at the media catering to women and tell me how often they see hot, shirtless guys fawning over a totally average female protagonist and how that's any different from games with a mostly male audience having their females look attractive. Games cater to their main demographics. Both sexes like eye candy, both have self insert protags, who cares? There are games out there with fat, covered up women where everything is pastel and no one is sexy if you want them but those games fail to bring in an audience for a reason.

100%, and even the super crazy tumblr-types would agree in secret, despite how much some push unnattractive people as ideal in their art and protest beauty, they don't actually believe that nor want those types and often times, desire people well above their own station. Before the tumblr nsfw ban almost every nsfw blog was of hot jock males LOL

Originally Posted by Kadajko
Your subjective opinion vs other peoples subjective opinion.

There is nothing subjective about this, this is objectively handsome, just as brad pitt is objectively handsome, you can say he's not your personal taste, but you must acknowledge he is objectively beautiful. Beauty is not an opinion. Some people are objectively sexy, and others objectively repulsive. Attraction though, is subjective.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I rest my case. LOL, Vallis, every time I'm about to reply, you've already typed what was on my mind. Perfect.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves
I rest my case. LOL, Vallis, every time I'm about to reply, you've already typed what was on my mind. Perfect.

Can you stop spamming, please? That topic has been brought elsewhere. You can continue worshipping Vallis there xD

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd kind of like it if all the current elf/halfelf portraits were available to both for PC character creation. I get why there are differences but, I want one as an Elf, and probs others want different ones the other way

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
journeyman
journeyman
I am used to the stype of elves Goldberry pointed out in the first post as well. I had several moments in the game where I was confused as I thought a character was meant to be elven but looked human. Then saw the pointy ears and was confused again. (Asatrion and Halsin are examples of some of the main offenders for me and where I only realized they were elven due to meta knowledge and noticing their ears)

Elves should, lore-wise, look almost alien to humans in a way with their own defining features rather than just humans with pointy ears. They are Humanoids still, sure. But so are goblins, orcs, dwarves, tieflings *using the ones represented in game for the sake of the argument), etc. That does not mean they should resemble humans

+1 to Goldberry's post

veteran
veteran
I like how elves look in the game. It is great to add more head options for character creation, but I wouldn't want the existing head options removed or changed. I also don't want Astarion's or Halsin's design to change.

Last edited by Icelyn; 15/01/21 01:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I should likely add, while I think Halsin and Astarion are offenders in my opinion to what elves -should- look like, they are not neccesarily bad design. They just strike me as half-elven more than full elven, going by lore and how FR has elves represented. In light of that, I think especially Halsin is a cool design that fits a half-elf really well.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by TheFoxWhisperer
I should likely add, while I think Halsin and Astarion are offenders in my opinion to what elves -should- look like, they are not neccesarily bad design. They just strike me as half-elven more than full elven, going by lore and how FR has elves represented. In light of that, I think especially Halsin is a cool design that fits a half-elf really well.
What the fuck?! Halsin is an Elf? I did not even notice he was Elf. Well true some Elven characters in this game do not look enough Elven.

Halsin was never member of my party though I did meet him:

I killed all the Golbin leaders including the Drow also on first try no load without any help from Halsin as level 3 then became level 4 and killed everyone in courtyard or the fortress first try no load needed. When I finally found place where Halsin should have been found traces that Halsin had escaped in Bear form. I met Halsin in Thiefling Village after I killed all the Goblin Leaders.

+2 to Goldberry's post

Last edited by Terminator2020; 24/01/21 06:22 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I like how elves look in the game. It is great to add more head options for character creation, but I wouldn't want the existing head options removed or changed. I also don't want Astarion's or Halsin's design to change.

Those guys are both elves? Halsin?!?

lol

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Scribe
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Those guys are both elves? Halsin?!?

lol
Halsin is the awesomest elf! biggrin

veteran
veteran
The muscle beach area of Rivendell didn't get a lot of play in the Lord of the Rings, but I think several chapters of the Silmarillion are devoted to Elf swoleness.

S
addict
addict
S
Thats comical. Honestly it is. Elves look more buff and larger than humans. Which, based on the PHB I'm looking at, is flat wrong.

Please Larian. Fix this stuff...

Yes, DOS Elves, not D&D nor BG Elves

E
addict
addict
E
Thats comical. Honestly it is. Elves look more buff and larger than humans. Which, based on the PHB I'm looking at, is flat wrong.

The question is why did they get it so wrong in the first place? It's like the source material wasn't even consulted.

journeyman
journeyman
“Rule of cool”. Designing something that is considered neat and cool rather than what fits the setting. It sums up a lot of things in the writing imo but this is about elves and not that.

E
addict
addict
E
That's a good point. It frustrates me though, if it ain't broke don't fit it, surely?

OP Offline

Agreed smile

“Rule of cool”. Designing something that is considered neat and cool rather than what fits the setting. It sums up a lot of things in the writing imo but this is about elves and not that.

Agreed again, unfortunately. I was expecting some elven lines or interactions with my character, but there were very few, and disappointing at that. It might be just too early, maybe more flavour will be added to all races, there are a lot of them after all, it is a lot of work.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Etruscan

The question is why did they get it so wrong in the first place? It's like the source material wasn't even consulted.

It couldnt have been. It literally could not be more clear.

Straight from the Players Handbook.

With their unearthly grace and fine features, elves
appear hauntingly beautiful to humans and members
of many other races. They are slightly shorter than
humans on average, ranging from well under 5 feet
tall to just over 6 feet. They are more slender than
humans, weighing only 100 to 145 pounds.

Halsin, is not an elf.

veteran
veteran
Halsin is an elf blessed by Silvanus. smile

S
addict
addict
S
If this was a D&D game, I'd be fine with that. This is a forgotten realms, Baldur's Gate game. Elves should not be jacked, bigger than the Player Character can ever be. It is absurd.

Page 11 of 46 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard