Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I don’t think that’s what the OP is asking. I think the OP wants to just hold the sword with one hand even if the other hand is empty. At least that’s what I understand from reading it.
That is what I get for posting with insomnia. I misread and you are correct. RP reasons and the Dueling style would be reason enough to use these weapons with one hand. 1d8+2 gives more damage than 1d10 if you are like me and always end up with crap rolls for most things. Hopefully they fix this soon.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Zarna
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I don’t think that’s what the OP is asking. I think the OP wants to just hold the sword with one hand even if the other hand is empty. At least that’s what I understand from reading it.
That is what I get for posting with insomnia. I misread and you are correct. RP reasons and the Dueling style would be reason enough to use these weapons with one hand. 1d8+2 gives more damage than 1d10 if you are like me and always end up with crap rolls for most things. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

old hand
old hand
It should be noted that while Dueling Style requires one hand to be free from a weapon, it does not require the hand to be free. You could, for example, be holding a shield.

And yes, this is how the rule is intended to be, as far as I can tell. And yes, that makes Dueling Style OP compared to the other bonuses. +2 Damage per hit and an additional +2 AC potential. A jolly good time for all.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Sadurian
In D&D5, 'Versatile' means that the weapon can be wielded one-handed or two-handed. The two-handed wield option inflicts more damage.

BG3 has, so far as I can see (I've not tested every combination), implemented this, so the answer is yes.

Sadurian, this is currently not accurate, I'm sorry. It's not true at all.

Currently there is *NO WAY* to use a Versatile weapon one-handed without also equipping a shield - no way to use a versatile weapon one-handed, with your other hand empty. It will always be used two-handed if your off-hand is empty, and use the higher damage die.

If there IS a way to use a versatile weapon one-handed while your off-hand is empty, then the game does not make the mechanic of how to do so clear or visible; to the extent that everyone here believes it cannot be done.
My apologies, and thank you Niara. I missed the part about having an empty off'-hand.

addict
addict
yeah with a shield lol
i guess is fine as is. but some people will bitch about it. I reckon they think dueling hand behind the back was actually a thing outside of duals... so they like to use only one weapon i say nuts! use the freaking shield!!

veteran
veteran
The one free hand that you often see in depictions or re-enactments can represent a couple of things that aren't just for show and flair; parrying gloves were a thing that show up in a few places, and were essentially a mail glove designed to let you deflect and bat away the opponent's blade safely with your off-hand while leaving your blade line free to stay threatening. Alternatively, the practicality of keeping a free hand was sometimes done for versatility - it's much harder to grab a chair and brain someone with it with your free hand strapped up with a shield.

In the hands of nobility, it did certainly become a peacock fancy instead, but there are some practical roots buried back there.

old hand
old hand
He was the deadliest swordsman in the land. In one hand his sword, in the other a peacock. Unparalleled.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard