Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 115 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 114 115
B
Banned
Banned
B
There is no reason not to have a 6 man party. If you want less then play with less Charakters or even solo. Adjust difficulty down and everything is fine.

But ruining fun of people who are used to 6 man party’s in dnd games just because it’s divinity3 styled is nonsense

stranger
stranger
Just want to voice my support for a 6-man party.

+1

stranger
stranger
+1

6 man parties are always my preference.

Especially with companions with fixed classes I want some flexibility.

veteran
veteran
People complaining that we don't have enough to do during our turn with only 1 action/turn should try the game with more companions smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/01/21 06:54 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
E
E
I think gather your party of just 4 party members is just too lame.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I play BG type RPGs for the story more than extreme difficulty. I'd rather have 6 party members with me bantering and reacting to situations. If you want to feel amazing because you beat the game solo on "raped in the ass there's no way you could beat this with 20 party members" difficulty then hurray for you, go ahead and do it. How does the option of having a larger party for those who want it affect you?

journeyman
journeyman
For those people who are so concerned about the difficulty and brag about being able to solo the game: If the party size becomes 6, I would assume the game would be balanced around this. This means that solo playthroughs would be even more challenging (you are at 1/6th of the strength is is balanced with, rather than just 1/4th). So for you people, this would be a win as you get an extra layer of difficulty and challenge. It is maybe worth thinking about rather than worry about how strangers on the internet play their game and on what difficulty, I think.

I prefer 6 characters in a party too, for several reasons. First, it would make the battles go faster ultimately, due to having more actions. Some fights right now are such a drag and slog already. There would be more agency in a fight and you get more chances to do -something- rather than watch the AI move and think. This is a thing mentioned before by many others too, as an argument against how combat would get even slower.

It also allows for more fun party compositions, with trying less than optimal builds or subclasses that are just fun to play, while not being mechanically that strong. With a larger party size you can experiment more with this without ending with a suboptimal party (this includes going full custom party, with these compositions). Having played the old BG games as well as IWD many times, this is how I keep it interesting and fresh, with strange combinations or to use some underrated/underused kits or classes. If you use the companions, it also allows to use companions you would not use otherwise, be it due to them not fitting party composition, or not liking them as much as ones you always use. Or because you do not use them because the AI beelines for them all the time)

I personally like a slow progression throughout a story, which is not neccesarily based around just exp (at least in BG3, opposed to the older infinity engine games. You get a fixed exp per character where in the old games the exp was divided across the party, so slower levelling). In BG3 the progression is there through gear as well, you have more characters who you need to divde your gear for. It means you cannot just load all your gear unto 1 character and the more people you havce, the slower the gear progresses. This likely also means you have less money and need to think more about your purchases, be it potions, gear or whatever, which makes money and the economy slightly more relevant. Or, if you find a cool magic item you would have to think about who to give it too rather than just giving it to your one fighter, or your one mage (Also, it means more of the magic loot gets used, rather than have so much of it be reduced to vendor-trash or Gale Snacks)
This in effect does affect the difficulty, though not by neccesarily making it easier as you have a group of average/moderatly equiped characters rather than 1 character who has all the good gear loaded unto him/her. Your larger party consists ultimately of more vulnerable characters, which (assuming proper encounter balancing) balances somewhat out with the increased action economy. Also, there will be difficulty sliders (At least that is what I thought) so you can adjust either way.

And having a party of 6 does nothing to prevent me to solo the game either, a person can like both. Sometimes they want a challenge and that accomplishment of a solo run, sometimes they want to just chill and have a party of adventurers with some fun classes that may not be fully combat optimized. No playstyle is right or wrong and they can co-exist.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Hachina
Originally Posted by T2aV
Why should you be straight nuked? Every game can be Solo'd pretty much. Dos1/Do2, PoE1,Poe2, bg1-bg2. I solo all of these games on the hardest setting possible. Bigger party size just means you're not very good and need the extra help

Its not about performing. I did solo BG2 with a lot of different class, I still enjoy it quite a bit with six characters. Having banter, a true party, and a normal level scaling (and not a demigod overpowered character) makes up for an entirely different experience. Solo game are unbalanced, you get the best loot, quickly get at a way highter level than you should and 95% of the game is too easy. If anything, having 6 companions in Baldurs gate 2 makes the game harder than playing it solo, because they have normal stats.

And quit talking about ''being good'' at this kind of game. It really doesn't require much. Anyone can do BG2 solo after looking at a Kensai/mage build on internet. Pickup CromFayr, Robe of Vecna and a few other item, there, you're set . If you wanna brag about being good at video game, do it on real competitive game like shooter, MOBA, fighting game or RTS. Who cares if you can beat the AI on a solo RPG ?

You solo'd the game yet or you still getting full party wiped? You talk about how you have played solo, etc. and yet, utterly fail at acknowledging that solo'ing a game that is meant for 4+ full party takes a different mindset, an understanding of game and class mechanics, preparation, planning, etc. as compared to what I see from full party playthroughs via Youtube and Twitch where most are just haphazardly doing sh*t and then when all goes to crap, going 'OMG, WTF happened!?' Further, playing solo means I have less options (spells, etc.) at my disposal than running around with a party with a crap ton of options for any given situation or encounter......and still getting full party wiped, ironic, huh? Maybe, it is you that needs to "quit talking"?

And T2av not too far off imho: if you can't beat the game or struggle at beating the game with 4 party members what the hell makes you think your struggles are going to be any less with a party of 5-6? Conversely, if one can beat the game solo, running a full party for one that has done it solo makes the game even more of a joke.

Of course if you have the game mechanic, encounter knowledge, and you can metagame and minmax to the degree required to solo it, it would be easier with 4 or 6 members, what's the argument?

That is should be balanced around that ability to metagame every encounter??

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Some people like a larger party for story reasons or gameplay-fun reasons (ie. they enjoy managing more people and having access to more abilities to combine in interesting ways), rather than for balance reasons.

Though it obviously introduces balance concerns.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I would think a D&D game would have at least 5 party members. Well, if Larian doesn’t add them, I am sure a mod will.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The standard 5E party encounter 'challenge rating' assumes 4 characters - but there are rules to scale encounters. I'm happy with 4 (played through with two different party combos, both worked fine) , but if they went with 5 that would be cool too (we play with 5 chars in my table top group, because there are 5 of us..if there were six, we'd play with 6). But they need to make a decision and the balance the game around the ''recommended party size".

G
stranger
stranger
G
Dont mind me just adding my +1

D
D
+0.5

I think 5 might be the right number, given the turn-based combat system. Fighter-type, arcane caster, divine caster, rogue + flavour (bard, another spellcaster or anyone else).

veteran
veteran
I still don't get why it has to be just one and only one number. Why not have it be that 4 is the default party size around which the game is built, and then let us - the players - decide whether it should be 5 or 6 or obviously something less than 4, that is best for us? I am yet to read a rational argument for why this would be bad for the game.

N
N
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I still don't get why it has to be just one and only one number. Why not have it be that 4 is the default party size around which the game is built, and then let us - the players - decide whether it should be 5 or 6 or obviously something less than 4, that is best for us? I am yet to read a rational argument for why this would be bad for the game.
+1 not going to get into the weeds of game balance v party size, but i agree with kanisatha that players should be able to decide how many party members they want to bring. but since the current build of the game only allows a total of four member slots, those players whom would prefer an increased party size beyond four currently have no larian ingame mechanics (that im aware of) that would allow for increased party size, and tbh based on my experience participating in the ea i dont have really have high expectations for larian to budge on this game design which is frustrating.

obligatory - in the og bg games you had 6 party slots and could use those slots as the player prefers, either solo, or anywhere between 2-6 party size - wouldve hoped this continued in bg3

as an aside kanisatha - have you gotten a chance to play the ea yet? wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by nation
as an aside kanisatha - have you gotten a chance to play the ea yet? wink
As a matter of principle for me, I do not ever buy/play an EA game. So I have been reading very carefully both the Larian updates as well as the threads in this forum to get a sense of what I like or dislike about the game.

#753588 27/01/21 03:28 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Mod edit: Thread merged, original title; "Party Size Question"

I've noticed random rumblings here and on the subreddit about the possibility of them increasing party size. This may be just my imagination. I'd always prefer to have a party of 6 over a party of 4 myself, especially in a turn based game. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but it might help to give us more to do on the player side in the larger battles (instead of waiting for 7 goblin turns in between each PC turn). Anyone else? Thoughts?

Last edited by Sadurian; 28/01/21 01:50 AM.
N
N
+1 please come lend your support to the 28 page mega thread discussion about party size. the og bg games allowed you to travel with up to a 6person party.

veteran
veteran
You're not alone.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679595&page=1

I already tried the game with a party of 5 and 6 and it's way more fun.
More things to do during combats, more action point/round, faster combats more synergies between characters, more interactions, more variety,...

The only con- is that the game is even more easy but with a better balance and less OP mechanics, it could be amazing.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/01/21 04:23 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I already tried the game with a party of 5 and 6 and it's way more fun.

OK, how? The only mod I see on Nexus requires save file editing... yuck.

Page 40 of 115 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 114 115

Link Copied to Clipboard