Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ontarah Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just played Original Sin 1 for the first time and started my first playthrough of Original Sin 2 yesterday. This post is half petulant complaint and half inquiry for solutions.

The complaint: I feel like they somehow managed to make their fun and interesting elemental spell systems with uber environmental sensitivity from the first game notably worse. In the first game, I had a great time setting up elemental combos, using "surfaces" to interesting tactical effect, and so on. It was generally a simple and intuitive yet very fun way to add complexity and variety to the game.

In the second game so far (about 13 hours in), I feel like all that complexity has been reduced to nothing but "find ways to mitigate the fact that everyone and everything in every fight will be on fire for the entire fight." I cast rain incessantly. I cast fortify on people to put out flames. I make a point of spacing everybody out so only one at a time gets hit by fire grenades or whatever. It simply doesn't matter. As soon as the flames are out, the character just gets set back on fire again. Almost all enemies spam fire/oil based attacks. Archers shoot fire arrows. Mages cast fire spells. Fighters throw fire grenades. Half the time it doesn't even do the enemies any good because *they* end on fire too. I have had fights in which my team of four are fighting 5 or 6 enemies and literally everybody is on fire for the majority of the fight from fires the enemy started.

What is a way to deal with this that *isn't* "play this very specific build which makes you more or less immune to fire."

My party is around level 4 at the moment. I am playing a mage that currently has points in Summoning and Hydrosophist. My party so far has consisted mostly of Fane, the Red Prince, and Ifan with their default class builds (so roughly 2 mages, a fighter, and an archer).

This hasn’t been my experience lately, but it may have been on my first playthrough — I can’t quite remember.

In any case, forgive me if this too obvious, but magic armor should protect you from burning. You could craft Magic Armor potions and/or use the skill (or craft scrolls) Armour of Frost.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard