Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Even the original Baldurs Gate games had plenty of silly humour, that broke the 4th wall or poked fun at the game itself. Especially 1 had silly encounters hidden here and there on the world map. I think a main thing with why it feels strange is that it happens so much. If every other encounter is a Monty Python sketch it loses its charm quickly and makes it harder to immerse, where if it is a rare thing that happens now and then makes for a fun tongue in cheek moment. It is like all humour basically: timing is important. And balancing it with the serious parts. It might make it feel more like finding a fun easter egg (perhaps one of many) rather than feeling like you are basically in a Monty Python movie.

It fits DnD (I mean, tabletop games have plenty of it) but I think what people mind is that it becomes "too much of a good thing" in essence and it is forced on you rather than be a fun intermission within a serious story.

apprentice
apprentice
I guess for me it just hasn't reached that saturation point. I mean, there's definitely fewer jokes per hour than your average Marvel Movie, not that that should be anyone's standard.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
Just a quick point of order? Can people PLEASE stop saying that dumb jokey humor doesn't "feel like DnD". Anyone that says that clearly hasn't played much pen and paper (stupid jokes are the norm).
This is going to depend on your group. I have usually played with people who take things more seriously, which I prefer (there is still some joking around obviously but not to the point of stupidity.)

Originally Posted by TheFoxWhisperer
Even the original Baldurs Gate games had plenty of silly humour, that broke the 4th wall or poked fun at the game itself. Especially 1 had silly encounters hidden here and there on the world map. I think a main thing with why it feels strange is that it happens so much. If every other encounter is a Monty Python sketch it loses its charm quickly and makes it harder to immerse, where if it is a rare thing that happens now and then makes for a fun tongue in cheek moment. It is like all humour basically: timing is important. And balancing it with the serious parts. It might make it feel more like finding a fun easter egg (perhaps one of many) rather than feeling like you are basically in a Monty Python movie.
I feel the first BG had rather too much of this stuff and this probably is part of why I couldn't really get into it. A bit of silliness is fine but too much of it irritates me and feels out of place, especially in situations that are meant to be more serious. So far BG3 seems to do a lot better about this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Zarna you mean you don't crack a "yo mama" joke at the first full grown red dragon you find? I'm shocked and appalled. Lol

T
Banned
Banned
T
Well I have sadism and not much empathy and in BG 3 the first one place that I really started laughing aloud and found it very funny indeed was this:
Goblins had captured a Gnome in a Goblin village before the area with fortress of Goblin Leaders. This was one of rare situations I choose diplomacy and tried to save Gnome. I convinced the Goblins to leave. Well then I went to the Gnome, but Goblins had left him in kind of booby trap position and when trying to save the Gnome I triggered the trap. The Gnome died in a way that I found super funny indeed. Did I take load. No and I continued on my way with a smile.
I am not in real life serial killer and lack totally empathy, but in addition I and very emphatic people do not always get along well we do not understand each other always. Generally I do not want to see people hurt in real life, but in movies and games or TV series well...

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/21 08:08 PM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
I'm starting to think Early Access should never give refunds and cost 2x the finished product across the board. Maybe that would finally get rid of all the people who buy and then bitch about an unfinished product and leave the people who actually know and want to get into an EA.

journeyman
journeyman
I think most people are not "bitching about an unfinished product" but moreso being dissapointed/annoyed at getting something rather different than what was promised (A game that resembles 5e closely).

If you order a medium-rare steak and you get a well done one, for the same price, you'd be rather annoyed, I figure.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I think most people are not "bitching about an unfinished product" but moreso being dissapointed/annoyed at getting something rather different than what was promised (A game that resembles 5e closely).

If you order a medium-rare steak and you get a well done one, for the same price, you'd be rather annoyed, I figure.

An unfinished game that's mechanics will be in flux until it's out of EA. If I went to a restaurant where I could pay for all you can eat steak while they train new cooks or try out new things on the menu I would expect certain things not to be the way I want them. If you have in your mind what you wanted and won't be happy unless it's exactly that thing, you should have waited until the game was out of EA and reviewed to make sure it was that thing.

M
M
Originally Posted by wellgoodmorning
If you have in your mind what you wanted and won't be happy unless it's exactly that thing, you should have waited until the game was out of EA and reviewed to make sure it was that thing.
You do realize what the intent of Early Access is, right? Giving feedback what you like and don't like, so the developers can make changes before the product is finished? Something that would be too late, if you would wait until the full release of the game?

D
D

An unfinished game that's mechanics will be in flux until it's out of EA. If I went to a restaurant where I could pay for all you can eat steak while they train new cooks or try out new things on the menu I would expect certain things not to be the way I want them. If you have in your mind what you wanted and won't be happy unless it's exactly that thing, you should have waited until the game was out of EA and reviewed to make sure it was that thing.
You don't get the point. If there was any feedback/indication from Larian that they indeed intend to make this an actual D&D 5e game (to a reasonable extent, of course) and the rules were just not fully implemented yet, or at least that they realize e.g. that their handling of advantage/disadvantage (not specific bugs, those will obviously be fixed along the way) in combat is currently broken, nobody would be complaining - OK, that's a lie, but no one reasonable would. The opposite is true: Larian explicitly mentioned that they tried to implemented the rules, but "it was not fun" (whatever that meant). So instead we get this weird hybrid that really doesn't work well and is insanely abusable once you figure things out. I DO like BG3 so far, but once you figure out the mechanics, the combat kinda sucks. At least once you figure out that you can basically get advantage for almost every attack and that every char should dual-wield to get attack as a bonus action, you can get through the encounters quickly.

EA is meant for exactly this kind of feedback.

Last edited by DiDiDi; 29/01/21 02:21 PM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by DiDiDi

You don't get the point. If there was any feedback/indication from Larian that they indeed intend to make this an actual D&D 5e game (to a reasonable extent, of course) and the rules were just not fully implemented yet, or at least that they realize e.g. that their handling of advantage/disadvantage (not specific bugs, those will obviously be fixed along the way) in combat is currently broken, nobody would be complaining - OK, that's a lie, but no one reasonable would. The opposite is true: Larian explicitly mentioned that they tried to implemented the rules, but "it was not fun" (whatever that meant). So instead we get this weird hybrid that really doesn't work well and is insanely abusable once you figure things out. I DO like BG3 so far, but once you figure out the mechanics, the combat kinda sucks. At least once you figure out that you can basically get advantage for almost every attack and that every char should dual-wield to get attack as a bonus action, you can get through the encounters quickly.

EA is meant for exactly this kind of feedback.

Sorry if I was a bit flippant and didn't properly communicate my opinions. I agree EA is meant for constructive feedback and my original post in the thread about absolutley no refunds and 2x the price was tongue in cheek.(mostly) I just feel like a lot of the feedback seems to be very "my way or the highway" and ignores the fact that Larian did make a lot of requested changes in patch 3 and are obviously still trying to find the sweet spot for everything, as you do in EA. I also think asking for a refund the way OP is is ridiculous and at a certain point with EA you make an agreement that even if things aren't turning out how you wanted you just have to cut your losses and accept the fact that you invested in something that didn't turn out the way you expected. But we aren't even at that point with BG3 because we've only had a few patches so who knows how things are going to eventually turn out.

D
D
No need to apologize. smile

Last edited by DiDiDi; 29/01/21 03:36 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Get a grip people - they allow for different mechanics to cover a wider audience. The food I think is great but you can self police - I only use it outside combat & I rest less.
It brings something different and enjoyable to the game - I do support though the ability to eat during combat being disabled.
The latest patch has made jumping so much better & as for it don’t feel like D&D that’s just plain wrong - in my opinion.

No bruh, no. Incorporating "different mechanics" in a system which has a mechanic for about everything, and a loyal following of fanatical fans, to make those who have no F-ing clue what D&D is feel included or placated..is how you make a watered down, unrecognizable turd that your CORE audience denounces. BG, Icewind, NWN..all commercially successful titles and they didn't pepper in BS mechanics that don exist in the ruleset to make it palatable for D&D ignoramuses. So I respectfully disagree with your logic. That logic is what keeps EA turning out slightly rearranged turds every year and people keep buying them.

I have about 15 hours play time logged...and didn't even realize food heals. Know why? Because as a former D&Der, it never freaking crossed my mind. Figured it was included for realism and RPG value. How stupid to be able to stuff your face with cheap food during a fight to stay alive. Smh.

The jumping abuse I also hadn't noticed yet. Thought it clever for making the world more 3D.

Been waiting 20 years for another BG...please don't screw it up Devs...I'm begging ya.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Iceburnxx
No bruh, no. Incorporating "different mechanics" in a system which has a mechanic for about everything, and a loyal following of fanatical fans, to make those who have no F-ing clue what D&D is feel included or placated..is how you make a watered down, unrecognizable turd that your CORE audience denounces. BG, Icewind, NWN..all commercially successful titles and they didn't pepper in BS mechanics that don exist in the ruleset to make it palatable for D&D ignoramuses. So I respectfully disagree with your logic. That logic is what keeps EA turning out slightly rearranged turds every year and people keep buying them.

I have about 15 hours play time logged...and didn't even realize food heals. Know why? Because as a former D&Der, it never freaking crossed my mind. Figured it was included for realism and RPG value. How stupid to be able to stuff your face with cheap food during a fight to stay alive. Smh.

The jumping abuse I also hadn't noticed yet. Thought it clever for making the world more 3D.

Been waiting 20 years for another BG...please don't screw it up Devs...I'm begging ya.

This is so true. I never played a Larian game until now (mainly because of the reputation of silliness in DOS) so I didn’t realize how silly their combat mechanics are. I didn’t know about food, jump disengage, barrelmancy and backstab advantage until I read the forums. I knew about height advantage because I watched a dev video. As a fan of D&D, I never dreamed anyone would break the rules so much in a D&D computer game.

B
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
B
It’s heartening that I am not alone that totaly despises current combat meta game.
I have little hope however that it will change to a at least decent state. All the content being made right now is vbased upon this combat style. Change combat too drastic would mean they had to rework all encounters.

That why I asked for a chance to simply skip combat. So dont have to endure this and instead can focus on the story.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard