Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Scribe Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
In the prior Baldur's Gate games we could create a full party if we wanted to run through the game with.

Is that going to be possible here?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
If they do, I hope they put in difficulty scaling.

I don’t know if they will add 6player functionality. They haven’t done so since BG2, as far as I remember. NWN I think it was 3-4 that became the standard, and I think it was just because of difficulty scaling is easier to do with 3-4 party members than 6. I personally the like ability of 5, because let’s be honest it takes 4 to make a well rounded party, but then I need a 5th slot to slot in the character I currently need to do a companion quest for, that I haven’t bothered to equip or spec out, or to temp replace Astarion cuz I have to do quests in the swamp....and his “Running water still hurts me so I won’t even attempt to jump over it” mechanic is annoying as hell.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I don't have any source on this, but I've seen others saying that Larian has stated that there will be mercenaries that you can hire on as party members. It sounds like they will be customizable. To what extent I can't say, as I haven't been able to find where Larian said it.

I hope the mercenary system will basically be the ability to build additional characters, but I guess we will see.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Evandir
I don't have any source on this, but I've seen others saying that Larian has stated that there will be mercenaries that you can hire on as party members. It sounds like they will be customizable. To what extent I can't say, as I haven't been able to find where Larian said it.

I hope the mercenary system will basically be the ability to build additional characters, but I guess we will see.

I think the question was about party capacity, not about additional characters with different classes available than what we have.

S
Scribe Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Oh no, its about making our own characters to fill the party out. I'm not too worried about 6 characters, 4 felt OK.

I just have this dream party I want to put together.

Tiefling (Zariel) - Paladin - Oath of Conquest
Half-Orc - Barbarian - Path of the Ancestral Guardian
Aasimar (Fallen) - Bard - College of Valor
Human - Sorcerer - Divine Soul

Originally Posted by Scribe
In the prior Baldur's Gate games we could create a full party if we wanted to run through the game with.

Is that going to be possible here?

According to an old AMA:
Will all possible companions be available as Origin character options or will there be companions available only as NPCs?

Swen: We are trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters. Other than that, you will be able to recruit generic mercenaries and customize these. We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.

So the answer seems to be yes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I expect as that would eliminate all the companion quests, many of which "steer" your character through initial parts of the overall quest arc, that a fully custom party would not be available, unless perhaps through the mercenary mechanism suggested - and that probably doesn't kick in until you reach more "civilized" lands, in chapter 2

S
Scribe Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Excellent, thanks!

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
In the character creation it has the origin characters as a future option to edit. Just says “not yet available”.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
you can already do it buddy

it's just not "user friendly"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295561677

if you create a party of 4 you wont be able to recruit companions

make it a party of 3

warning : the game become even more easier then it is already.

as you can create a party of 4 "something' and then you can annihilate everything.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 29/01/21 08:37 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
stranger
stranger
E
"easier than it is already" Well this is just chapter 1 right? There are different things which can provide a lot more challenge the first time through when you're not ready for them... you know like minotaurs, those Giths... if you get a chance to prep for the combat ... not so bad. But when they get the drop on you.... they are ugly days indead.

S
Scribe Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
you can already do it buddy

it's just not "user friendly"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295561677

if you create a party of 4 you wont be able to recruit companions

make it a party of 3

warning : the game become even more easier then it is already.

as you can create a party of 4 "something' and then you can annihilate everything.

Awesome, so eventually I'll be covered either way. smile

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by exoticpirate
"easier than it is already" Well this is just chapter 1 right? There are different things which can provide a lot more challenge the first time through when you're not ready for them... you know like minotaurs, those Giths... if you get a chance to prep for the combat ... not so bad. But when they get the drop on you.... they are ugly days indead.

I don’t think they are hard per se. They trip up players right now because we are stuck at level 4. The typical player will probably encounter the minotaurs and gith at level 5 which would make the encounter a joke. I mean even now, there’s plenty of people who can beat them, solo even.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

I don’t think they are hard per se. They trip up players right now because we are stuck at level 4. The typical player will probably encounter the minotaurs and gith at level 5 which would make the encounter a joke. I mean even now, there’s plenty of people who can beat them, solo even.
Positioning is very critical in this game. If you position right for the Gith battle (I fought them at lvl 3, 2 companions had to be rezzed after.), then you can throw like 3 of them off the bridge, when they climb or port up. That makes a huge advantage. However the first few times when all my party members were at the bottom, my butt was handed to me.

Last edited by Seiryu Suta; 30/01/21 07:24 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Seiryu Suta
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Positioning is very critical in this game. If you position right for the Gith battle (I fought them at lvl 3, 2 companions had to be rezzed after.), then you can throw like 3 of them off the bridge, when they climb or port up. That makes a huge advantage. However the first few times when all my party members were at the bottom, my butt was handed to me.

Positioning helps definitely but the game isn't hard. The first time I encountered the Gith at level 4, I accidently walked right into them. Worst tactical position possible. One character got downed, but not dead. But I managed. It was a challenging fight but doable. At level 5, it wouldn't matter where I was positioned. The gith would get rolled over.

But if you did engage them at level 3 like you did, yes, it would be very hard. It's not meant to be a level 3 encounter for sure.

The mechanic that prevents Asstearian from jumping over running water, and some others from jumping over fire or acid on the ground is a little annoying, but I'm hoping that they'll get that ironed out a little before we make it to final release. As for party limits, I know that a limitless party is too much to hope for, but I'd really like to have the option of running a party of up to 8. Let me make my own party of 4 (or so) custom characters and then have the option to pick up some of the built in companions if I find them interesting or useful enough. I think 6 is probably a more realistic expectation, but I'd like to see 8. I'd also like a "save character" option so that whenever I do go through and create those custom characters I can save them for later. That way, if I am doing multiple playthroughs I will not have to try and recreate the characters that I want from scratch. If we're wish-listing items for character creation I am going to, of course, mention wanting to be able to roll for stats... but I think it would also be neat if the background, race, class, and such for the custom characters not only affected the options they get in conversations and such, but also the random bits they say as you are travelling along (both about things you encounter about the people in your party and the decisions that you've made). Obviously, it would also be pretty special if you could build your own romance with them, but I think I might be venturing into a dark corner that I do not wish to see the backside of with that one.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard