Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara
Do people complain about Solasta's UI? Why? I think it looks smooth and swish... it's clearly your user interface - it doesn't need to look like some piece of fantasy world setting. I found it to be unobtrusive and inoffensive... functionally, the UI itself never drew my attention, and that's exactly what a good UI SHOULD do.

I have no complaints about it's functionality. I do think it is too minimalistic, however. I prefer my UIs to be expressive, as long as it does not get cluttered.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
But why not have "spellbook" properly implimented into game UI?
Well ... we do, its just not close to hotbar, that is all ...
And since its bindable, you dont even need to search for that button.

Also that is not even close to my point. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I want to say "thanks" and "hear hear !". I too am one of those people who wrote a big feedback list at some point. I'm always happy when I see another one coming. I tend to think this is very valuable and probably easier to exploit by Larian Studios. Single-topic threads are probably good in some way as well, but I'm not sure how much is read in them apart from the original post and the recording of the number of replies (the biggest issues generally yield the bigger threads).

Not to shit on this thread or other similar ones, but I have the exact opposite feeling about this topic.
No matter how good and detailed the feedback can be or how much I can agree with the points listed, I'm definitely not a fan of all these "personal" threads that act as pulpits for the author piling up all sorts of different topics in a single wall of text.

It's my personal opinion that most feedback that aims to be easy to track should ideally be parted in separated threads, each one focused on a single specific topic. Ideally adding to pre-existing discussions on the same topic when possible, instead of replicating the whole conversation.

And just to stress that I walk the walk before talking the talk, I'll point that since I've been on this forum I started barely a handful of thread and every single time I made it reluctantly, only because I was not able to track other discussions focusing on the same angle.

Originally Posted by Niara
Do people complain about Solasta's UI? Why? I think it looks smooth and swish... it's clearly your user interface - it doesn't need to look like some piece of fantasy world setting. I found it to be unobtrusive and inoffensive... functionally, the UI itself never drew my attention, and that's exactly what a good UI SHOULD do.

I for one don't like it one bit, nor I ever liked other previous Amplitude UIs (and Amplitude is the studio where the Solasta people come from).
It's too minimalist to the point of feeling barren and out of place. It feels like playing a game using a dev toolset rather than a proper UI.

That said, Solasta at least does it better than the previous Amplitude titles. Endless Legends for instance is spectacularly ugly in this sense, lacking both in style/charm and in functionality.

Last edited by Tuco; 29/01/21 04:24 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
The UI in Solasta is not "beautifull" to me, but it's convenient, easy to understand and fast to use.
Everything is usefull and pretty well thought out.

It could be more beautifull and more "poetic" but design asside, it fulfils its role 100%.

BG3's UI is very common, hotbar is a mess to "custom" and the UI is full of useless things (i.e when you had to choose a spell level out of 2 it open a box of 18 squares...)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 29/01/21 04:43 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Honestly I like Solasta's UI. I like the look of it just fine even if it's minimalist. But more importantly, the UI never interferes with my enjoyment of the game and as I've said before, it makes everything clear and easy to understand. I take one glance at the UI and I immediately understand all of my options. Could it look nicer? Obviously. But it's unobtrusive and makes playing the game easier. It does what it needs to do and everything else is just gravy. Honestly I wouldn't want them to change to the UI at all if it meant losing the streamlined simplicity they've gotten thus far.

Forgive me if I am putting this in the wrong place, but this seemed like the place to put it.

For me, I would like the ability to create an entire party of custom characters to go solo questing with. I used to do that all the time in previous D&D RPGs. Not that I don't like the current companions, they're very well done... It's just that a low level character with a high level background story breaks the entire thing for me. All of the current companions have histories befitting 12th-20th level characters (if not higher), yet they are 1st level at the start??? Just let me make my own companions that don't have backgrounds if that's the case. RPGs are a pretty solitary thing for me on PC, so I'm not going to be gaming with other living people. A Custom companion (or preferably a party of them) is going to be my best option.

I tried the suggestion of an evil playthrough, and just found that there weren't really any evil options available. There was plenty of mean, petty, irrational, and outright suicidal choices available. There just weren't any options that I would consider "evil." Take the two siblings you find in the woods with their nearly dead "true soul" brother as an example. Good of the brother to hand you full control of those two lackwits. Too bad you cannot exploit that for anything truly fun. You cannot make them your complete pawns. You cannot trick them into believing the absolute sent you because the Drow woman had strayed from the path. You can't make them drink poison. You can't even have them kneel and close their eyes in a trust exercise so you can slay them effortlessly. You can't pick up their brother's tadpole and put it in one of their eyes. Nothing. Even if you beat them unconscious you cannot tie them up, torture them for information, or do anything else that would qualify as evil. Personally, if I were doing truly evil I'd be going forward from that encounter with as much information as they could've told me and I'd be wearing gloves made from the skin of one of them and leading the other one around on a leash. I'd only pop the gag I made from their sibling's femur out of their mouth when it suited me, and... you get the idea. I actually enjoy being the somewhat good guy, who saves just about everyone that doesn't annoy him (and often for a very reasonable price), so it really doesn't bother me that the truly evil options don't exist... but if you're going to ask me to go there, give me a there to go to.

As usual, I cannot let an opportunity to pitch for the addition of rolled stats slip away either. I cannot express enough how much the current system for stats in character creation bothers me. What I usually aim for in terms of stats on a PC RPG is much higher than what I'd be happy to play with in a tabletop setting. In most every case I'm left with a character that, were I to be playing tabletop with those stats, I would have my character strip naked and run screaming into a pack of hungry ghouls 5 minutes into the session... just so I could roll up another character.

Oh, and as long as I am on my soapbox of requests... If you're going to go through the trouble of saving Sassa's miserable life it would be fitting to get a chance to recruit her as a camp follower, a companion, a slave (love or otherwise), or something... Perhaps you could make her go to camp and cook for you, I dunno... Something would be better than nothing.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon
Forgive me if I am putting this in the wrong place, but this seemed like the place to put it.

For me, I would like the ability to create an entire party of custom characters to go solo questing with. I used to do that all the time in previous D&D RPGs. Not that I don't like the current companions, they're very well done... It's just that a low level character with a high level background story breaks the entire thing for me. All of the current companions have histories befitting 12th-20th level characters (if not higher), yet they are 1st level at the start??? Just let me make my own companions that don't have backgrounds if that's the case. RPGs are a pretty solitary thing for me on PC, so I'm not going to be gaming with other living people. A Custom companion (or preferably a party of them) is going to be my best option.

I tried the suggestion of an evil playthrough, and just found that there weren't really any evil options available. There was plenty of mean, petty, irrational, and outright suicidal choices available. There just weren't any options that I would consider "evil." Take the two siblings you find in the woods with their nearly dead "true soul" brother as an example. Good of the brother to hand you full control of those two lackwits. Too bad you cannot exploit that for anything truly fun. You cannot make them your complete pawns. You cannot trick them into believing the absolute sent you because the Drow woman had strayed from the path. You can't make them drink poison. You can't even have them kneel and close their eyes in a trust exercise so you can slay them effortlessly. You can't pick up their brother's tadpole and put it in one of their eyes. Nothing. Even if you beat them unconscious you cannot tie them up, torture them for information, or do anything else that would qualify as evil. Personally, if I were doing truly evil I'd be going forward from that encounter with as much information as they could've told me and I'd be wearing gloves made from the skin of one of them and leading the other one around on a leash. I'd only pop the gag I made from their sibling's femur out of their mouth when it suited me, and... you get the idea. I actually enjoy being the somewhat good guy, who saves just about everyone that doesn't annoy him (and often for a very reasonable price), so it really doesn't bother me that the truly evil options don't exist... but if you're going to ask me to go there, give me a there to go to.

As usual, I cannot let an opportunity to pitch for the addition of rolled stats slip away either. I cannot express enough how much the current system for stats in character creation bothers me. What I usually aim for in terms of stats on a PC RPG is much higher than what I'd be happy to play with in a tabletop setting. In most every case I'm left with a character that, were I to be playing tabletop with those stats, I would have my character strip naked and run screaming into a pack of hungry ghouls 5 minutes into the session... just so I could roll up another character.

Oh, and as long as I am on my soapbox of requests... If you're going to go through the trouble of saving Sassa's miserable life it would be fitting to get a chance to recruit her as a camp follower, a companion, a slave (love or otherwise), or something... Perhaps you could make her go to camp and cook for you, I dunno... Something would be better than nothing.

About brother and sister.. You can send them to owlbear for "revenge" and use them as "meat" in this battle. This choice is approved by Astarion. Basically you use them as your pawns, Astarion correctly notices that they are incredibly stupid. It would be strange if Larian gave you 10 options with the same outcome. They will die from owlbear if you don't protect them, of course.

But I agree with you that the "evil way" is very weak. And MC evil actions mostly "stupid".

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Ysh Offline
stranger
stranger
Since my thread will most probably be removed, I'll copy my original thoughts here :

So far, I've loved this Baldur's Gate III experience. And I have to say, I'm impressed by this last Patch 4.

However, if I had to point out one thing that, for me, requires a huge revamp, it's the UI !
The UI is quite messy when it comes to spell, consumables (potions etc...), ability, actions, bonus actions, special ability, items, special items... I've written all those on the same line on purpose to give the same feeling as the UI ;-)
Those are all mixed together and it's extremely unintuitive. I've come to realised that several times when I had friends over who tried the game. They all were struggling with that.

I don't think it requires a huge revamp, but I think that there should be spreaded categories for at least the following :

- Spells / Special abilities
- Potions / consumables
- Items (special use)

This would greatly improve the game experience and knowing myself what it requires as a work quantity, it might not take that long.

I doubt that I'm the only one to have that feeling ^^

Let your voice be heard people !

Have a nice day

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard