Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I find this article a bit concerning: How Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Is Going (According To Fans)

I don’t get that impression at all from my time in the Suggestions & Feedback forum. Maybe I’m biased but my takeaway is that most folks would like to see this game align more closely with 5E – or at least attempt to - before Larian deviates off with their homebrew innovations.

veteran
veteran
The article mentions two of my main issues, too much DOS3, and dice rolling reduces opportunities to actually roleplay, so yea, I'd agree with that article.

addict
addict
While it isn't clear when Baldur's Gate 3 will be released as a finished game, it appears there are aspects of the game players are enjoying, while there is also still room for changes fans would appreciate, both to the narrative and the combat and leveling systems. With the game largely unfinished, Larian Studios has the chance to incorporate this feedback and make the game more appealing to its audience.

On Steam and Reddit, a lot of people write about which characters they like, how they like the music, the setting, and the diverse dialogue choices. I think most complaints come down to combat, and whether it's representing DnD well enough.

E
addict
addict
E
I have read plenty of posts in these forums outlining the concerns address in the article. Speaking freely, I really think any links to DOS games should be to an absolute bare minimum just by nature that this is DnD, a totally different intellectual property which already has a rich background to draw from. I do feel there really is too much similarity to DOS at present and not enough of the 'soul' of Baldur's Gate games.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I feel the forum is the most negative of all places I've seen the game discussed. To the point that some positive things, can't be discussed here for fear of provoking the discourse and standard arguments.

I find that article kind of, empty in that it hardly says anything at all. Nothing really in it to agree or disagree with. There is a game, its reception is mostly positive but people disagree about stuff.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
Originally Posted by Starshine
I feel the forum is the most negative of all places I've seen the game discussed. To the point that some positive things, can't be discussed here for fear of provoking the discourse and standard arguments.

I find that article kind of, empty in that it hardly says anything at all. Nothing really in it to agree or disagree with. There is a game, its reception is mostly positive but people disagree about stuff.

Definitely agree. Although it is interesting to see the different demographics of people /interested/ in the game, even if they don't seem to like it's current state. I'm fascinated by the majority of people here versus the steam/GoG forums and versus the subreddit.

I also figured the article was going off of Steam reviews only, since they mentioned them.

As with all things on the internet, the consensus will always be a silent majority. For example, Gale and Shadowheart being the most romanced companions is only surprising if all you hear is that all the characters are too evil/unpleasant, or that people have trouble even getting the romances at all, or only hearing people's love of Astarion. Larian really is the only people who know what the real consensus is because they have access to all the raw data of player choices. This all reminds me though to leave a review on steam.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Starshine
All of this. There's some toxicity in here that's on the level of the 4th Ed edition wars and the Pathfinder 2 Open Playtest forums. Reddit generally is a lot more light hearted, although I did get called a fascist there for stating my opinion, so that was nice.

Skimmed the article and I kinda doubt they took a big enough sample size of opinions to represent the fan response. Looks like they scanned the Steam reviews and offered up a summary, which, given the nature of the article, fair enough.

From what I've seen there's a strong movemement for a pure 5E or more true to 5E approach to the rules. Some of those people are very sensible and some are outright loons who insist on virtual screamfests and, yes, accusations of fascism. I'd say there's a smaller group of people interested in diverting from the rules, but they're far more diverse in opinion, ranging from peeps like me who would prefer a rebalance of the ruleset that colors inside the lines to people out in Never Never land calling for WoW style mechanics.

As far as I can see the Purist movement have done a better job of stating their case. They've definitely convinced me that adding more of the book 5E features is a good idea, and I've come around enough that I think at least having a "More Book DnD" mode is in the best interests of the community. I mean some of them aren't going to be happy unless BG3 becomes a Solasta clone, which I doubt is ever gonna happen.

veteran
veteran
I hang out mostly in the feedback section, but I wouldn't have called these forums toxic, just from what I've seen. There were a few very problematic posters in the early weeks, but they provoked moderation to the point that they are no longer with us. Overall, I feel like the general tone of this forum is very civil, if heated and with strong feelings at times. At least, in the feedback section, I think. I know I try very hard to keep conversations polite and sensible and constructive, even in cases where I don't agree with what another person is putting forward.

D
D
I don't think it's that toxic here (not anymore), but...

I did a quick checkup of my posts here and was surprised how generally negative they are - considering how much I like this game. The instinct is to crap on things you want changed, rather than praising things you (really) like, I guess... smirk If I didn't like this game, I wouldn't have bothered creating an account here.

veteran
veteran
I don't think the forum is toxic. There are just more people here focused on a strict interpretation of the rules. I favor a more flexible approach, for example, some artistic license in character design or modifying the rules a bit to fit a video game.

Reddit is definitely more lighthearted. Today's top post is Updated Astarion model after Larian confirmed he's 5'9" on their Twitter. Poor Astarion, so short! laugh

Last edited by Icelyn; 04/02/21 12:47 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
I mean some of them aren't going to be happy unless BG3 becomes a Solasta clone, which I doubt is ever gonna happen.
The comparisons to Solasta are in regards to combat and mechanics, not setting, narrative, graphics etc.
Larian said a while ago that they had to change the rules because the RAW mechanics didn't work in a video game environment. This has kinda been proven false by Solasta of all things, a game with 1/100 of their budget that adapted the combat exactly as it is in the book, and not only works, it is fun too.

Last edited by Danielbda; 04/02/21 12:56 AM.
Banned
Banned
It's a feedback forum about an alpha build that's, by definition, two steps away from being brokenly unplayable in its current iteration. Frankly i hope Larian's looking here, even if some may things may be considered 'toxic', rather than at the circlejerk that is reddit. I mean, on the forums the most discussed topics are gameplay and mechanics, on reddit they are Astarion and goblin romance.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/02/21 12:58 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Innateagle
It's a feedback forum about an alpha build that's, by definition, two steps away from being brokenly unplayable in its current iteration. Frankly i hope Larian's looking here, even if some may things may be considered 'toxic', rather than at the circlejerk that is reddit. I mean, in the forums the most discussed topics are gameplay and mechanics, in reddit they are Astarion and goblin romance.
Agreed, I guess that's what upvoting/likes does to discussion.

I also wonder how much useful is the actual feedback functionality (for things that are _actually_ broken). I have reported some of bugs that way (preP2, I think, not sure), but none got fixed yet. Then again, Ranger's Two-Weapon Fighting Style bug has been there since the very beginning of EA, has been reported probably everywhere and still not fixed, I guess priorities are a bit different now...

I was thinking about creating/hosting a community issue tracker... smile

M
M
I wouldn't read too much (badum) into one tiny article. I have known some news writers from gaming sites whose research consisted of nothing more than merely glancing over the topic they were writing about. Not because they are lazy people but because they barely have the time for real indepth research.

veteran
veteran
I don't find the atmosphere toxic at all. There was a period when some steam sorts came over but I tend to like the tone of this forum.

But, having said that, that's just a bad article. I don't know the author's circumstances but I suspect they are under pressure to produce lots of content quickly because that thing reads like it was written in one sitting without editing. For example:

They seem to approve of how Larian Studios has reimagined the world's appearance, applying many of the qualities that players saw in Divinity: Original Sin 2 in order to improve game mechanics and overall playability.

and then

Baldur's Gate 3 also takes a hit with some players due to frustrations with how similar gameplay is to Divinity: Original Sin 2 . . . [and unhappy with] the gameplay, which mirrors many of Divinity: Original Sin 2's mechanics.

So which is it? Are people happy with the DOS2 mechanics or not? Are some happy with DOS2 mechanics and others unhappy with them? I wouldn't know if I just read the article.

And yeah, some don't like d20 RNG. I do. Hopefully this will become a game option that people can turn on or off.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I don't think the forum is toxic. There are just more people here focused on a strict interpretation of the rules. I favor a more flexible approach, for example, some artistic license in character design or modifying the rules a bit to fit a video game.

Reddit is definitely more lighthearted. Today's top post is Updated Astarion model after Larian confirmed he's 5'9" on their Twitter. Poor Astarion, so short! laugh

Toxic. The word is so over used these days. Not picking on you. Just stating an observation.

I think most people, even diehard 5e people like myself understand some changes to rules need to be made as it translates to video games. But what Larian did is a travesty. So I’m here in hopes they change things.

And since Asterion is an elf, he’s not short. He’s actually slightly above average height. smile

journeyman
journeyman
Some of the discourse does slant more on the negative to abrasive side. But it's a legacy sequel and people are passionate about the game being good. All things considered, the forums have been fairly civil.

I do admit I've been spending more time on the reddit lately, though. It's a lot of fun and negativity tends to wear on my mental health after a while, haha. Plus there's some gorgeous art over there. The tarot series on the companions was especially breathtaking.

Reddit is definitely more lighthearted. Today's top post is Updated Astarion model after Larian confirmed he's 5'9" on their Twitter. Poor Astarion, so short!

This is so funny to me. I would never consider 5'9 short. I'm like 5'4 lmao.

“But his mind saw nothing of all this. His mind was engaged in a warfare of the gods. His mind paced outwards over no-man's-land, over the fields of the slain, paced to the rhythm of the blood's red bugles. To be alone and evil! To be a god at bay. What was more absolute?”
addict
addict
From most opinions I see outside foruns, the similarity of BG3 to DOS both in mechanics and aesthetics is the most cited critiscism.

And I agree that BG3 should have been thought from ground zero.

And, of course, TB is not usually well accepted by casual players.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MyriadHappenings
This is so funny to me. I would never consider 5'9 short. I'm like 5'4 lmao.
5'9 is short for a guy, especially when compared with Lady Dimitrescu who is 9'6. laugh

Last edited by Icelyn; 04/02/21 03:13 AM.
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
One does wonder if they’re regretting announcing this as Baldur’s Gate III and not giving it another title (someone suggested Baldur’s Gate: Rise of the Illithids). Making it a numbered sequel means there are expectations for it to follow the originals to a certain extent, and keep it reasonably close to a D&D ruleset. You’re immediately engaging a couple of devout and opinionated fanbases. It seems like those are restrictions Larian would have been happy to do without, having the freedom to make the game they way they like... But on the other hand there’s the prestige and inherent hype associated with the series, which they can surely capitalise on. I’d love to know whether it was a Larian or WotC decision to call it a sequel.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard