Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kadajko
I expected it to be simple like: ''Me hungry. Me afraid. Cave there.'' But when I talk to animals I feel like I am talking to people because they are highly intelligent, and I am starting to ask questions like: Why has this animal not integrated into society and learned common language? Why is it not wearing a purse with coins and isn't a blacksmith at the camp?

Animals in DOS2 spoke exactly as you have indicated you'd prefer. Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that some humans are simply not as smart as some animals, at times. Especially where politics are concerned...;)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
T
Banned
Banned
T
Yes animals seem to intelligent sometimes...

Last edited by Terminator2020; 31/01/21 08:43 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I think the smart animals with good communication skills is in part due to the "Rule of Cool" or because it is "Fun and quirky" that seems to be a major thing in many aspects in BG3. Animals with cheeky comments, or jokes, or whatever is funny and entertaining to some.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Those super intelligent animals are part of DOS humor. You meet them all over Divinity. Of course it’s a pure coincidence you meet them here too because we all know this isn’t dos3 it’s a true dnd game.

Last edited by Baldurs-Gate-Fan; 04/02/21 01:26 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Those super intelligent animals are part of DOS humor. You meet them all over Divinity. Of course it’s a pure coincidence you meet them here too because we all know this isn’t dos3 it’s a true dnd game.

Scratch does seem to be able to articulate his thoughts a bit better than I imagined a dog. I expected Doug from “Up”.

D
addict
addict
D
Just wait till we talk to Boo!

Originally Posted by dwig
Just wait till we talk to Boo!

Oh yes, I am really eager to be able to speak with Boo, what an amazing perspective ! (I am sure that Larian will be good on that)

veteran
veteran
With Boo, I'm actually kind of concerned that Larian will deice to draw back the curtain on, and make a confirmation of, something that has throughout the history of D&D been a running mystery/uncertainty. As much as htey could play if for laughs, I wouldn't want that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Niara
With Boo, I'm actually kind of concerned that Larian will deice to draw back the curtain on, and make a confirmation of, something that has throughout the history of D&D been a running mystery/uncertainty. As much as htey could play if for laughs, I wouldn't want that.

The conclusion of BG3 will show that Boo is actually the final Baalspawn - and he's been secretly preparing for his triumphant rise all these years.

addict
addict
Bad idea and poor implementation.

I wish they had used the resources for something more meaningful.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Waltc
Originally Posted by Kadajko
I expected it to be simple like: ''Me hungry. Me afraid. Cave there.'' But when I talk to animals I feel like I am talking to people because they are highly intelligent, and I am starting to ask questions like: Why has this animal not integrated into society and learned common language? Why is it not wearing a purse with coins and isn't a blacksmith at the camp?

Animals in DOS2 spoke exactly as you have indicated you'd prefer. Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that some humans are simply not as smart as some animals, at times. Especially where politics are concerned...;)

When I noticed one of the phase spiders had an intelligence score to rival one of my rangers, I was scared, disappointed, and intrigued.

Last edited by Roethen; 05/02/21 03:24 PM.
Agree with OP.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I think the issue I have is that they all talk.

In Neverwinter NIghts 1 it had some animals you can "talk" too. But the animals SHOW it. Mostly through decribing their actions. On the one hand you have dogs trying to mate with the towns bitch. For a female dog that never says a word she's surprisingly polite.

On the other hand you got rats telling jokes. Somehow. Without them actually saying anything. The text just states "It's telling a joke about" and leaves the rest for you to imagination. I chark it down to "mental images" myself. Picking up on thoughts, feelings and what's on an animals mind. That makes more sense to me then "Oh, yet another animal with speech".

There was also some magical deer with a whole quest that acts as a silent guide. Yet clearly trying to show you something. It's hard (impossible even) to get that when animals always talk.

Don't mind some talking. But some of the magic is missing if they all talk. So have some talk yet others show.

Last edited by Taramafor; 09/09/21 12:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
I agree. The animals in BG3 are VERY smart. But it's fun, so...

addict
addict
A squirrel who makes watches? Well, yeah, you know ... what else do they have to do during winter?

I would not expect full dialogs with regular animals, but rather more an exchange of sensory information from things they saw, or heard, or smelled. "Oho, I just got a whiff of unicorn dung from yonder fork in the road! Let us proceed quietly."

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Taramafor
I think the issue I have is that they all talk.

Don't mind some talking. But some of the magic is missing if they all talk. So have some talk yet others show.

Larian is about making systems that allow for silly/fun, even exploitative gameplay - and speaking to a plethora of animals (and dead) is part of that. I believe they like to refer to that as promoting "player agency" -- in which realism, immersion, balance and other concerns are of secondary importance.

You have a similar issue with "fire dipping" weapons. Instead of accepting the D&D framework which allows for many ways to achieve a similar effect (ie. cantrips, spells, expandable resources), Larian had to make it an universally accessible single system and thus make an already dauntingly complex system needlessly more complex. Same thing with barrelmancy, show/throw or pickpocketing, really.

Their thinking is that if you don't like a mechanic, just don't use it. Problem is when these systems become so prominent, not using these systems feels like losing out on a lot of content (resources that could be put to arguably better use) or even consciously nerfing yourself (which is opposed to the fundamentals of RPGs). That said, talk to animals/dead is one case where I feel this design philosophy really shines and does not infringe too much on realism and immersion.

Last edited by Seraphael; 09/09/21 08:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
A squirrel who makes watches? Well, yeah, you know ... what else do they have to do during winter?
This question have actualy quite dark answer ...
Squirrels usualy spend whole year creating stashes of food for winter, in case they forget where they are ... then they usualy forget and die starving anyway. :-/

Strange animals if you ask me.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Just recently I learned that they are also omnivores. Buggers aren't as cute and innocent as I thought. Apparently they don't have a kill instinct either. So if they find young birds they will start eating poor buggers without killing them first.

veteran
veteran
OP, this entire thread should have been under a spoiler label because now you've gone and done it. You've spoiled the whole game for everyone by revealing the true plot of the game!!! wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Just recently I learned that they are also omnivores. Buggers aren't as cute and innocent as I thought. Apparently they don't have a kill instinct either. So if they find young birds they will start eating poor buggers without killing them first.
Damn Nature, you scarry!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/09/21 06:35 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard