Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
The spear that autocasts True Strike if you miss with it is the absolute best use of True Strike I have ever seen.

Myself I'd rework True Strike completely from the ground up and let it make your weapon bypass damage resistance or reduce immunity to resistance for that attack. That would make it much more worth it.

Soemthing like;

True Strike (Revised)
Divination

Level: Cantrip
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: Concentration, up to 3 rounds
You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defences. As long as you maintain concentration on this spell, your attacks are one step more effective. Normal damage becomes Damage Vulnerability, Damage Resistance becomes normal damage, and Damage Immunity becomes Damage Resistance. Damage Vulnerability remains Damage Vulnerability.

Last edited by FuryouMiko; 18/02/21 12:11 PM.
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Larian did alter True Strike - it now lasts two rounds.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
Sometimes I see people saying it should be a Bonus Action to cast it but in my mind that makes it too powerful to be a cantrip for everyone who's any decent at attacks (your stereotypical wizard would be less broken with that because they mostly suck at non-spell combat anyway wink ).

Not necessarily the best reason to do it anyway, but currently you can trivially get Advantage by either walking to a higher spot or behind a target for no Action or Bonus Action, or by using a Bonus Action to Jump into a similar position.

I think given how many ways to get Advantage there are already, making True Strike a Bonus Action wouldn't make combat any worse. Either that or make it apply to all attacks against that enemy for 1 round, or leave it as it is but eliminate the Concentration requirement.

journeyman
journeyman
If True Strike lasted until you made an attack, I think it would be useful. That way you can cast it out of combat and have your first attack guaranteed advantage. Or, if you want to waste an attack in combat or if you are unable to attack on your turn for any reason, then you could cast it and have advantage of the next attack.

RAW, it's kind of crap. An Eldritch Knight or Bladesinger that can cast a cantrip in addition to attacking may have use of it (though I'd prefer Blade Ward in this scenario), but it otherwise is lackluster in my opinion. It sounds great but it isn't.

Maybe it could be re-written by granting an attack bonus while granting a damage penalty, then the player can opt to have a better chance to hit while doing slightly less damage. +2/-2 maybe? Concentration until broken.

G
stranger
stranger
G
In NWN2, I believe True Strike gave a +20 to attack. It all but guaranteed that the next attack would hit, which was useful against targets with obnoxiously high AC. I would make a ****load of True Strike potions and invisibility wands, invis myself, chug the potion, then use an min-maxed intelligence assassin Death Attack with a ridiculous paralysis DC, all but guaranteeing that the target would be paralyzed for 10 minutes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Waste of turn with the current broken advantage system ( Just like A LOT of things ). An Eldritch knight would just cast blade ward on him/her and try flanking instead if there are many melee enemies. At least if it's playing legit D&D lol. Now with Larian's insanely broken advantage system and 200 ranged enemies using grenades and magic arrows on high ground this wouldn't work well.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 17/03/21 11:00 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TripleKill
True Strike is a cantrip, so in other words it shouldn't supposed to be useful throughout the game..When you are a Lvl 1-2 char with low AB instead of missing twice in a row you use true strike so u can actually hit once at least.. Ofcouse you can find other situations later on tho like everything else in D&D..all your characters arent get into combat before detected so when some of your chars are in combat andif your wizard is hiding behind a corner or smth.. you can cast true strike, choose the actual spell you want to hit the enemy with and let him get into combat while walking to cast it..

If you have disadvantage because of smth..enermy being higher ground, you being blind, poisoned, you have bane spell on you etc. you can make use of it smile

Cantrips are designed to be useful throughout the game. That's why damage cantrips scale. Things like friendship can be useful in non combat encounters the whole game. This cantrip is just trash.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Waste of turn with the current broken advantage system ( Just like A LOT of things ). An Eldritch knight would just cast blade ward on him/her and try flanking instead if there are many melee enemies. At least if it's playing legit D&D lol. Now with Larian's insanely broken advantage system and 200 ranged enemies using grenades and magic arrows on high ground this wouldn't work well.

Don't you love dodging the bomb only for the fire surface to still splash you anyways.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard