Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Early into my BG3 adventure...and with the current game state everything is up in the air about future possibilities of course...

But here in the first few levels, I'm trying to find the point for a 'knight-ranger' and not really seeing it. Your best a/c currently is going to be 17 before buffs or shield if you start with medium armor's +2 max dex bonus and Githyanki Half Plate or +1 Scale. You could end up with 16 in heavy chain mail armor, but then you're losing initiative rolls and missile fire bonuses. You'd be at 16 with light studded (+1) with a +3 dex bonus...and that bonus would be applied to initiative, bow fire and finesse weapons (as well as acrobatics, sleight of hand and stealth). A pair of +1 rapiers at level 4 sound pretty interesting going dual-wield dex route....

It would be sweet if taking knight would allow your dex bonus apply to your heavy armor a/c in some way, since proficiency in that would include training to move effectively in the heavier gear I'd imagine.

Plenty of time to try both avenues of course. Str / Con based with access to more weapons and the early heavy helmet to avoid crits, using the Knight route starting the character to get heavy armor? Or high dexterity to work for the first strike initiative roll before they're moving to damage you? Dex just seems more beneficial atm. Also fits my character concept a bunch better.

Is your concentration to maintain hunter's mark on target when getting hit based on constitution? Does the dex a/c bonus apply to all attackers against you, or only those in your field of vision?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

~War~

Last edited by Warspawn; 07/02/21 02:16 PM. Reason: Fixed the title to reflect actual in-game terminology
There is a video on youtube for this build. I tried it and yes, armor class is severely lacking. There is simply no good heavy armor in EA. Shadowheart has a better armor class than that ranger and that kinda sucks.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 07/02/21 02:42 AM.
veteran
veteran
I can't speak to the subclass yet - I'm waiting until the next patch to do my own break down of the classes and such, but to answer the question at the bottom, in terms of core rules, maintaining concentration is a constitution saving throw (the DC is 10, or half the damage you took, whichever is high). Concentration is a lot more shady in BG3, however, since a number of things inflict "incapacitated" that shouldn't... and incapacitation immediately breaks concentration, without a save. Getting knocked prone, or getting frightened, for example, will both automatically break your concentration when neither should be doing so (This thread: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=739348&page=1 has a write up on how BG3 has implemented status conditions, compared to the core rules, and has a section that discusses the impact this has on concentration).

Last edited by Niara; 07/02/21 02:54 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
There is simply no good heavy armor in EA. Shadowheart has a better armor class than that ranger and that kinda sucks.

I saw that with the cleric! 18 A/C with her shield starting off in medium...

~War~

Last edited by Warspawn; 07/02/21 02:55 AM.
old hand
old hand
I'm not sure why you think Shadowheart would have more AC than a knight ranger. If you go for heavy armour you should probably go for a shield too and skip two-weapon fighting. Take Dueling Style at second level instead, it works with shields.

Also it hurts me to call the "favoured enemy" options "subclass". They're not subclasses, they're class features in same vein as fighting styles. Pardon me if I'm being too nitpicky, but let's try to keep the nomenclature clears.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
journeyman
journeyman
Weird that it works with shields because it says the off-hand has to be empty in the description.

old hand
old hand
That's how it's written ingame, but in the actual rulebook it specifies "no weapon in the off hand". It seems like that is a mistakeful wording, but it's apparently the intended function.

The BG3 text definitely misleading because I've tested it (and actually I just tested it again right now to make sure I didn't misremember) and it adds the 2 bonus damage even with a shield like it's supposed to.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Roethen
Weird that it works with shields because it says the off-hand has to be empty in the description.

Yes! I absolutely does...glad Dex pointed that out. Fix probably coming soon (tm) in either description or mechanics :P

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Dexai
Also it hurts me to call the "favoured enemy" options "subclass". They're not subclasses, they're class features in same vein as fighting styles. Pardon me if I'm being too nitpicky, but let's try to keep the nomenclature clears.

Ah, from the PH it read:

Favored Enemy

Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.

Wasn't sure what to call it in-game since it look thisaway when looking at one of the guides (gameplay tips) referring to subclass perks rather than favored enemy...

The important SubClass Perk to get as a ranger is the Ranger Knight Perk. however the Terrain Perk can be yours to play around with, I happen to be caught on fire alot!

Although it absolutely says 'favored enemy' before the clicky-box to choose between Ranger Knight, Mage Breaker, ect in the game:

In-Game:

Confused me a lil'...

~War~

Last edited by Warspawn; 07/02/21 02:50 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
That's how it's written ingame, but in the actual rulebook it specifies "no weapon in the off hand". It seems like that is a mistakeful wording, but it's apparently the intended function.

The BG3 text definitely misleading because I've tested it (and actually I just tested it again right now to make sure I didn't misremember) and it adds the 2 bonus damage even with a shield like it's supposed to.
Good to know

enthusiast
enthusiast
Given the fact that anyone can use scrolls, Mage Armour lasts until long rest, and literally the first room you spawn into has a Mage Armour scroll, the best early defensive move for a Ranger is 100% always to go 16-17 DEX, strip naked the second you wake up, loot the first room and cast Mage Armour on yourself for 16AC, +3 on attacks, +3 on damage with any Finesse weapon (the nautiloid now loots multiple scimitars and a corpse in the downed ship has a rapier). Which is dumb, but there you are.

The only practical (I use the term loosely as it's logically insane) reason not to do this is because without at least 10 Strength you can't pick up any decent medium or heavy armour later on. Even if it's within you carry capacity. Because reasons.

Yup, I can walk around all day with this 80lb backpack, but gee this 19lb splint mail is a no go...

enthusiast
enthusiast

OMG I COULD KISS YOU! But I won't I'll just leave a virtual +1... ;p

old hand
old hand
No, don't I'm in quarant-- oh well. There went those 12 days frown

Link Copied to Clipboard