Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
addict
addict
It still is interesting that Baldur's Gate in the early 2000's was searched slightly higher than Divinity 1 and 2 are in the late 2010's. Meanwhile DnD has more searches than any of those.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
It still is interesting that Baldur's Gate in the early 2000's was searched slightly higher than Divinity 1 and 2 are in the late 2010's. Meanwhile DnD has more searches than any of those.
It isn't that surprising, Given that by that point Bioware already had a reputation and Larian was still in the process of establishing one. Almost all of the search interest to BG in the spike ~2018 can be attributed to BG 3. What is more interesting is if you take the same chart and throw Dragon Age onto it.

addict
addict
Bioware had established themselves by then. I'm considering that Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were the first hits for Bioware and Divinity 1 and 2 are the first hits for Larian. It's comparing two points where each company was at a similar state.

Bioware had KOTOR and Mass Effect before Dragon Age. Will Larian be at similar levels with their 5th game?

It also looks like using a DnD IP with Baldur's Gate helped Bioware with how popular DnD was with RPG fans.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sharp
Originally Posted by Dexai
Keeping in mind, this is speculation on both of our parts since neither of us have the market data available to companies like Larian or Bioware.
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Mmmm. I attribute the high numbers to a) the Baldur's Gate name
Most gamers today likely do not even know what Baldur's Gate even is, in terms of name recognition, I would say it ranks fairly low.

If this was the case, they wouldn't have named the game Baldur's Gate III
Thats assuming there is only 1 reason to name a game Baldur's Gate III. There isn't. You could be a fan of a series and want to make your own sequel to it. WotC could also have a contractural obligation requiring them to use the name. We could also look at another example where something similar happened - Fallout 3. Fallout 1 and 2 had a cult following which was very disappointed (rightfully so imo) with Bethesda's sequel to the fallout games. But you can bet that Bethesda wasn't the underdog in that situation trying to make money off of name recognition, they were the much bigger company.

There is only one reason to name it Baldur's Gate 3 and that is name recognition. See there is this concept in media and promotion that the more something is a sequel, the less likely into are to attract new audience. Putting a number at the end of a movie or book or game directly hurts the sales. Numbered sequels generally have a constant downwards sloping profit in comparison to each other. The only offset of this is -- you guess it --brand recognition.

When WotC or Larian -- regardless of where the decision came from -- put a 3 at the end of Baldur's Gate they are directly hurting the possible revenue from the production. They wouldn't do this if it was any random old game. The only reason they would choose this title is that they thought that the gain from the name recognition factor was equal or greater to their loss from the sequel-drop-off factor.

And it's funny that you chose Fallout 3 as an example because there is absolutely no reason Beth bought that IP except brand recognition. They bought a cheapish, shelved IP with a huge recognition factor, to use the name for their own games without any regard for the original series. This isn't "underdog" business strategy. This is big dog business strategy, that's why Beth did it.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure why people are trying to argue that this game isn't popular because of the name. It's Baldur's Gate. Probably the most popular crpg series of all time. Yes, we get it, more copies were technically sold by the modern "crpgs" but that doesn't change the fact that a company using the name Baldur's Gate brings an immense weight to the title.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I'm not sure why people are trying to argue that this game isn't popular because of the name. It's Baldur's Gate. Probably the most popular crpg series of all time. Yes, we get it, more copies were technically sold by the modern "crpgs" but that doesn't change the fact that a company using the name Baldur's Gate brings an immense weight to the title.

Self delusion is high on this forum. Regardless, we are finally going to get some information soon. So let's hope for a good update.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I think a lot of the response is similar to what was posted in the article, at least from the Forum group as I have read it. I started playing the game late last month So I am new to the game and to the forum. I was a huge fan of the original BG and BG2, played the expansions as well, and that 1.5 digital expansion that was put out a few years ago (Dragonspear?). I have played DnD since 93 or 94, and have played every edition of the game but started in second edition and played most heavily in 3.5. I started because I had played some of the earlier computer games, namely the Eye of the Beholder trilogy. I have never played any of Larians other games. My synopsis of the game and surrounding information and forums:

The forums are not nearly as toxic as others I have been on. About a quarter to a tenth of the level of toxicity as BG 1.5 had depending on when you stepped into either forum, and even that wasnt near as bad as to some ccg forums ive been in.

BG 3 will never have the feel of BG1 or 2 its a different map system, rule edition, and storyline. It is not bad, but it doesnt rely on rolls for the bulk of the game more or less than the original (maybe a less on story/character interaction) It still has most of the feel of a DnD/BG game but it is missing a few elements to me
- No rolling for characters (yet?), i know its a fifth edition thing and a balance of power thing in multiplayer groups, understand it but just losses some feel
- actual turn based actions feels more like DnD but not so much BG combat
- I miss Minsc and boo, but I understand its a different time, so he might not be around, and even if you made minsc, if you didnt get Jim Cummings doing the voice work then you would get angry people missing their nostalgia.
- I dont necessarily miss random encounters
- Spellcasters that dont have fireball dilute the feeling of spellcasting classes (should be better when levels increase)
- Cant form a full and balanced party without having someone who feels out of place for good or evil alignment
- I kind of miss the hunger issues found in a lot of older DnD games where you could starve. It would seem this might be something that could be added later with all the food found around the world

5'9 is actually tall for the world average and I want to say average for most editions' height generation tables

The only thing that really annoys me is buying and selling, my computer seems to lag during barter so I am stuck selling one at a time and the gold values dont match the merchant prices, I wouldnt mind so much if what we saw was an intuition roll to guess the price or if there was a way to haggle the merchants down, or if it was simply the merchants could be asked about their gouging and reply there is a scarcity due to a run on supplies because of the crash/refugees/goblin raids/whatever.

Originally Posted by Sir Dent
I think a lot of the response is similar to what was posted in the article, at least from the Forum group as I have read it. I started playing the game late last month So I am new to the game and to the forum. I was a huge fan of the original BG and BG2, played the expansions as well, and that 1.5 digital expansion that was put out a few years ago (Dragonspear?). I have played DnD since 93 or 94, and have played every edition of the game but started in second edition and played most heavily in 3.5. I started because I had played some of the earlier computer games, namely the Eye of the Beholder trilogy. I have never played any of Larians other games. My synopsis of the game and surrounding information and forums:

The forums are not nearly as toxic as others I have been on. About a quarter to a tenth of the level of toxicity as BG 1.5 had depending on when you stepped into either forum, and even that wasnt near as bad as to some ccg forums ive been in.

BG 3 will never have the feel of BG1 or 2 its a different map system, rule edition, and storyline. It is not bad, but it doesnt rely on rolls for the bulk of the game more or less than the original (maybe a less on story/character interaction) It still has most of the feel of a DnD/BG game but it is missing a few elements to me
- No rolling for characters (yet?), i know its a fifth edition thing and a balance of power thing in multiplayer groups, understand it but just losses some feel
- actual turn based actions feels more like DnD but not so much BG combat
- I miss Minsc and boo, but I understand its a different time, so he might not be around, and even if you made minsc, if you didnt get Jim Cummings doing the voice work then you would get angry people missing their nostalgia.
- I dont necessarily miss random encounters
- Spellcasters that dont have fireball dilute the feeling of spellcasting classes (should be better when levels increase)
- Cant form a full and balanced party without having someone who feels out of place for good or evil alignment
- I kind of miss the hunger issues found in a lot of older DnD games where you could starve. It would seem this might be something that could be added later with all the food found around the world

5'9 is actually tall for the world average and I want to say average for most editions' height generation tables

The only thing that really annoys me is buying and selling, my computer seems to lag during barter so I am stuck selling one at a time and the gold values dont match the merchant prices, I wouldnt mind so much if what we saw was an intuition roll to guess the price or if there was a way to haggle the merchants down, or if it was simply the merchants could be asked about their gouging and reply there is a scarcity due to a run on supplies because of the crash/refugees/goblin raids/whatever.
Well, a small response to this, if I may!
>No rolling for characters (yet?), i know its a fifth edition thing and a balance of power thing in multiplayer groups, understand it but just losses some feel
Larian has mentioned that it's not included in Early Access, but they said they "realized that many were partial to it" (Paraphrasing) in their FAQ.
>I miss Minsc and boo, but I understand its a different time, so he might not be around, and even if you made minsc, if you didnt get Jim Cummings doing the voice work then you would get angry people missing their nostalgia.
Well, Minsc is a staple! There have been whiffs, deep in the forgotten places beyond where man was yet meant to see, a creation of Larian not yet brought to light... Something of him lingers there. The scent of hamster droppings and kicked wheels. He may, at some point, emerge from that forgotten place into the light of Early Access, but that day is not yet upon us...
>Cant form a full and balanced party without having someone who feels out of place for good or evil alignment
I suppose, in a certain way, that's the point. Larian has mentioned that they like a slightly dysfunctional party who has some kind of tension and friction between them. This may be rectified as time goes on, as well, as more companions are to be added.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
5e rules are way too simple, shallow and vague to be implemented directly. Implementing rules more directly would work with Pathfinder 2E because its rules are more complex and have more depth and A LOT more decision making, but 5e is just way to simple of a game for it to work in a complex CRPG.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Scribe
Self delusion is high on this forum. Regardless, we are finally going to get some information soon. So let's hope for a good update.
Take the edgelord snarkiness elsewhere, please, and stop being dismissive of the opinions of other posters.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Take the edgelord snarkiness elsewhere, please, and stop being dismissive of the opinions of other posters.

Fair enough, I'll just let the comments regarding this already being the greatest game of all time, already!, pass.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian

Fair enough, I'll just let the comments regarding this already being the greatest game of all time, already!, pass.
Which ones? I don't see any.

S
addict
addict
S
Up in the announcement thread, MANY comments on Steam.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well that explains why I don't see them, I stopped reading pretty much every area that has non constructive discussion.

S
addict
addict
S
Well that explains why I don't see them, I stopped reading pretty much every area that has non constructive discussion.

Wise choice.

apprentice
apprentice
Talking of non-constructive discussion, has anyone seen the articles TheGamer.com is shitting out?

Have some comedically badly researched "gaming articles";

https://www.thegamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-best-weapons-armor-early-access/ nentions greatswords having reach, spears having a high attack speed, and complains about helmets not boosting AC!

https://www.thegamer.com/best-baldurs-gate-games-metacritic/ lists the top ten Baldur's Gate games! Although I'm not sure which ones didn't make the cut since that's all of them.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Having taken a really good look at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous over the weekend, and just the sheer amount of depth in it – FAR more classes, subclasses, skills and abilities than anything in the 5E PHB - I don’t think Larian should have any issue translating D&D into a reasonably faithful rendition of 5E. Owlcat has a much smaller team too.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Having taken a really good look at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous over the weekend, and just the sheer amount of depth in it – FAR more classes, subclasses, skills and abilities than anything in the 5E PHB - I don’t think Larian should have any issue translating D&D into a reasonably faithful rendition of 5E. Owlcat has a much smaller team too.

Its not a question of possibility. Its an issue of if they desire to do it. Pathfinder, and Solasta make it perfectly clear.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

Its not a question of possibility. Its an issue of if they desire to do it. Pathfinder, and Solasta make it perfectly clear.

Exactly this. Literal 5e seems to be not the game they are making, and not the audience they are targetting.

Modding to 5e literal should be a thing though, assuming anyone who cares is capable of doing it.

Similarly, modding may enable some BG1/2 echoes, again provided anyone that cares is capable of creating the necessary mods.

veteran
veteran
There's a gap between literal and what they showed us at the moment.

About combats it's not D&D with reasonable homebrewed you could have arround a table... It's homebrewed combats with D&D's spells...

I would be fine with this if :

- this game wasn't named Baldur's Gate 3 because this name gives me a feeling of "realistic" (in the reality of the FR) classic fantasy combats, not classic Larian WTF combats.

- they didn't make all this show with WotC arround the game (in their videos/events). This let me thought about a D&D video game, not a new kind of D&D video game with a massive Larian layer upon it.

- they didn't claim to implement the rules as faithfull as possible first then tweak what doesn't work in a video game.

If you look at the game now, it looks like it's nearly all D&D that doesn't work according to them...
I can't believe that it wasn't a lie because seriously, something is wrong everywhere.

(Reactions, healing/food, advantages, weapons range, time management, rest, action economy, diping, barrelmancy, inventory management/height, jump and movement, conditions, monsters skills, poison, ammunition, grenades, magical items,.....)

Even a +1d4 fire damage sword or +1/+2 arrows ? Seriously that doesn't work in a video game ?

Ofc they can do what they want with their game but at the moment I feel cheated a bit (but maybe I'm just stupid/naive).

I probably wouldn't have bought the game yet if they had another communication about it.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/02/21 09:29 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard