Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I always try to free the two spiders in the goblin camp. The first time, they aided me in the fights, but after that, they seem to be stuck on the floor between Dror Ragzlin and Gut and just sitting there. It's the fourth time now, that I managed to free them and succeeded in my animal handling check - is that a bug or are they not supposed to fight with the group and the first time was just a coincidence because they got aggroed or something like that?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Unfortunately, it's so incredibly buggy that it's more or less impossible to actually tell what is supposed to happen.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, I thought so. I wish, they would at least leave the camp and go on their merry spidery way, but alas, they are stuck in that place.

Doctor Who
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Every time I have freed them, they go for a slightly different location in the temple and don't fight unless something comes into aggro range for them. I don't think they were meant as temporary familiar equivalents.

On a different note, do you ever try to save the guy being pushed into the spider pit? Every time I play, by the time I remember that scene exists, I have already triggered it and he is dead.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
He is always dead, when I enter the cave, so no, never could save him.

I didn't think them to be my temporary companions, but I thought, they would be keen to attack their captors. but I guess, they are just clever to stay out of trouble. In my personal canon I named them Emma and Arthur - don't ask why, just something silly (the owlbear cub I named Barnaby).

Doctor Who
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
If you convince the spiders to attack, they will attack goblins in the main hall (Gut's area), but they never move far enough to trigger the other bosses. Of course, that also makes Gut attack you, the goblins go for the war drums, etc. It's basically a way of kicking the Gut fight off with a couple of allies. You can probably pull attackers from Ragzlin's area to them, but I haven't tried that. You can definitely leave them caged up and push goblins into their pit, but you have to pull the goblins close enough.

The guy is actually alive the first time you enter the temple, but it is a timed event, so if you wait too long they push him in and walk away. I keep meaning to see what happens when you dialog with them, but never remember to go there first.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, I don't need them to join the fight, I was mainly wondering, why they seem to be stuck in the area between Ragzlin and Gut and not just run away to freedom.

I normally take my time in the shattered sanctum, robbing the trader, then moving on to Spike, freeing Volo, talking to Abdirak, I guess by the time, I reach the area, where the guy is pushed down, it's probably too late. I try to remember and go to that area first in my next pkaythrough.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RBarbare
On a different note, do you ever try to save the guy being pushed into the spider pit? Every time I play, by the time I remember that scene exists, I have already triggered it and he is dead.
I tried to save him, but it didn't end well. I stopped them from pushing him into the pit, but then he ran over to some other goblins and was killed fighting them...so I need a better plan.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by RBarbare
I tried to save him, but it didn't end well. I stopped them from pushing him into the pit, but then he ran over to some other goblins and was killed fighting them...so I need a better plan.
I found it's doable, but requires coordination. Essentially, you need to shove the one who's going to boot the guy being shoved in and gank the other one before they can run off. You essentially get a "Gosh, thanks for saving me!" but it was welcome. Plus two less goblins for when you go Goblin Slayer on the building.

Last edited by Some_Twerp753; 24/02/21 12:54 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
Personally I like to go into the main room with the illithid and push the 3 gobbies closes to the pit in with spiders. That gets rid of the wizard and priest then I wipe out the rest of the room. You can also go into the pit room first and clear those 2 sets of 3 out without setting up the entire fight, but you have to watch out for one gobbie that tries to run and hit the drum. If you get those 6 out of the way first, usually the priestess and her room don't join the main battle.

I always make a game of seeing how many of the Gobbos I can shove down into the pit with them. If they survive the fall, the spiders usually finish them off pretty quick. I even managed to Thunderwave Dror Ragslin down into there once.

Link Copied to Clipboard