Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
What kind of argument against implementing "they/them" or choosing gender pronouns at character creation is that "Mr. Orc doesn't care, he's gonna eat you anyway"?

Besides, the way the tag system work it would be a breeze to implement (other than the translations). "Female" and "Male" are tags, like "Bard" or "Halfling" and they are what define dialogue options. I bet that this could be solved by an unofficial mod in a jiffy, English is an easy-going gender-neutral language most of the time, and the only time-consuming hurdle would be managing the translations, which is NOT expensive, particularly as the ones available in gendered languages have been crafted with a lot of care and there is software that would help find the variations and implementing them a breeze.

Banned
Banned
Pronouns huh?
If something is born with a sausage, its a sausage.
If born with a peach, its a peach.

No matter what its calls itself. xD

>quickly runs away grin

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
@TheBlueFaery yeah gender is not a social construct. The pronouns are. You are born either male or female. Trans literally means transformation as in you physically and chemically changed your body through a medical procedure. You can believe whatever you want, but biology and anatomy is very clear. Also don't equate spirits and religion to your social construct. I am no stranger to religion, spiritual history, mysticism, and cultural history. You are really barking up the wrong tree and I'll leave it at that. What a predictable topic. Insulted twice now first black people are hellspawn and now religion and spirituality is now trans inclusive against all evidence to the contrary historically. Religion and spirituality of all things. Bet mods will still go after me too. I'm out. No good will come of this.

While I indicated many issues with the OP's notion, I sure as heck am not going as far as you did. A person can identify any which way they want, and I won't contradict it.

My point is, absent any information to the contrary, pronoun references will be based upon an individuals observations of another person - appearance, voice, dress, carriage, gestures and such.

Once informed that their observation based assumption is not correct, some individuals may respect that, while others might not.

In the specific example I identified, an orc or goblin won't give a damn how you self-identify- unless it is as "breakfast" , "snack" or "unpaid labor".

R
stranger
stranger
R
I don't know how or if I can like a post here (just made an account to reply to this) but I fully agree with everything you said Everyone deserves the right to be able to envision themselves in the story, and if something is blocking the way (in this case, not having an option for they/them pronouns) then it should be modified so that you can see yourself in the game! I hope that Larian reads this and will implement it!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BeeBee
What kind of argument against implementing "they/them" or choosing gender pronouns at character creation is that "Mr. Orc doesn't care, he's gonna eat you anyway"?

Besides, the way the tag system work it would be a breeze to implement (other than the translations). "Female" and "Male" are tags, like "Bard" or "Halfling" and they are what define dialogue options. I bet that this could be solved by an unofficial mod in a jiffy, English is an easy-going gender-neutral language most of the time, and the only time-consuming hurdle would be managing the translations, which is NOT expensive, particularly as the ones available in gendered languages have been crafted with a lot of care and there is software that would help find the variations and implementing them a breeze.

Female and Male are the designations for the two human genotypes. There is no currently genotype or chromosomal combination designated by science to include "straight" "gay" "queer", bi-normal" or such. Those are psychological/emotional/behavioral designations - again, I will not contradict or deny anyone their self-identification. In the US we have a number of folks who have self-identified as black, latinx, native-american and so on, often with not a single hereditary, genetic, ancestral or cultural tie to the self-designation other than "I feel like I belong to that group". This seems to be the newest frontier - I won't gainsay their self-identification - but sometimes a rose is a rose.

However, people base initial identification on observational data. If it looks like a car, absent any data or information to the contrary, it will be called a car. Once it turns into a giant robot, it may be deemed a Transformer, but until then, it's a car.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Larian is welcome to create a system such as you request, then welcome to go through each and every conversation and determine in which the npc the character is speaking with will give a damn, and which (said Orc) will not, then create appropriate alternate responses.

Whether this is a productive use of their resources, given the many other issues they need to resolve, and the additional income this might create via additional purchasers of the game is not my decision.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Closed for review (and before anyone else gets themselves banned).

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Okay guys and gals and others,

Just an explanation and clarification as to why this thread is locked under review.

The lock has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's suggestion of a gender-neutral pronoun option. It is down to some people's reaction to it and the potential for a train-wreck as a result. We do not want real-life divisive politics to cause argument and friction on a a forum about BG3. The problem is that some people cannot address divisive issues without becoming offensive.

EDIT: A consensus has been reached, and the thread will remain locked.

Last edited by Sadurian; 15/02/21 08:12 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard