Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
There's a gap between literal and what they showed us at the moment.

About combats it's not D&D with reasonable homebrewed you could have arround a table... It's homebrewed combats with D&D's spells...

I would be fine with this if :

- this game wasn't named Baldur's Gate 3 because this name gives me a feeling of "realistic" (in the reality of the FR) classic fantasy combats, not classic Larian WTF combats.

- they didn't make all this show with WotC arround the game (in their videos/events). This let me thought about a D&D game, not a new kind of D&D RPG with a massive Larian layer upon it.

- they didn't claim to implement the rules as faithfull as possible first then tweak what doesn't work in a video game.

If you look at the game now, it looks like it's nearly all D&D that doesn't work according to them...
I can't believe that it wasn't a lie because seriously, something is wrong everywhere.

(Reactions, healing/food, advantages, weapons range, time management, rest, action economy, diping, barrelmancy, inventory management/height, jump and movement, conditions, monsters skills, poison, ammunition, grenades, magical items,.....)

Even a +1d4 fire damage sword without diping or +1/2 arrows ? Seriously that doesn't work in a video game ?

They can do what they want with their game but at the moment I feel cheated a bit (but maybe I'm just stupid/naive).

I probably wouldn't have bought the game yet if they had another communication about it.

I feel the same. Many of these things could be fixed, but mostly I am mad at myself, for paying for something that if I had done any research on, I would have seen I should not yet purchase.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Scribe
I feel the same. Many of these things could be fixed, but mostly I am mad at myself, for paying for something that if I had done any research on, I would have seen I should not yet purchase.
Ok. However even if you did like I pay for this 60 euro (or 60 to 72,73 United States Dollar since you are in USA) it is not so super much money for us. Well you do have "ok or fairly much" money like me I do know that. If you want to talk about money you can do I here:
Discussion about real life, TV series or movies

Anyway I do want that they do this game better as you want. It is also for me not has good as BG1 and BG2 was for me at least yet:

Yes I do like the graphics and music and main story in BG3, but it could be more better.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 14/02/21 10:35 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Even a +1d4 fire damage sword or +1/+2 arrows ? Seriously that doesn't work in a video game ?

Ofc they can do what they want with their game but at the moment I feel cheated a bit (but maybe I'm just stupid/naive).

I probably wouldn't have bought the game yet if they had another communication about it.

You're level 1-5. You don't start seeing magic weapons in 5e until the end of that level progression at the earliest.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
If you look at the game now, it looks like it's nearly all D&D that doesn't work according to them...
I can't believe that it wasn't a lie because seriously, something is wrong everywhere.

(Reactions, healing/food, advantages, weapons range, time management, rest, action economy, diping, barrelmancy, inventory management/height, jump and movement, conditions, monsters skills, poison, ammunition, grenades, magical items,.....)

You’re so right. They’re having us believe they ‘meticulously’ tried all of these things the 5E way then reverted to the DOS systems to make it more fun?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

You’re so right. They’re having us believe they ‘meticulously’ tried all of these things the 5E way then reverted to the DOS systems to make it more fun?

Yeah no, I dont buy that for a second. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by FuryouMiko
Even a +1d4 fire damage sword or +1/+2 arrows ? Seriously that doesn't work in a video game ?

Ofc they can do what they want with their game but at the moment I feel cheated a bit (but maybe I'm just stupid/naive).

You're level 1-5. You don't start seeing magic weapons in 5e until the end of that level progression at the earliest.

Whatever, in BG3 you can dip, you find item that grants poison to the weapons of your heal's target, you can find tons of fire arrows and potions... If this work to Larian, a single fire sword should work too.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S

Whatever, in BG3 you can dip, you find item that grants poison to the weapons of your heal's target, you can find tons of fire arrows and potions... If this work to Larian, a single fire sword should work too.

Thats actually one of my major issues. 5e is a low magic item assumed environment. To have all these random bonus effects, it really throws everything off.

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
Originally Posted by Scribe

Thats actually one of my major issues. 5e is a low magic item assumed environment. To have all these random bonus effects, it really throws everything off.

+1

+1 to all

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
I’ve been pondering the significance of Jeremy Crawford joining Larian for the Panel from Hell this week. Since he’s the principal 5E rules designer at Wizards, why do you think he’s been invited for this panel? It could be they are wheeling him out to explain why 5E rules don’t need to be translated to a video game faithfully? Or perhaps they’re going the other way and leaning more into 5E so he’s there to explain how they’ve worked hard in 5E on the action economy and balance and Larian are moving to emulate that?

S
addict
addict
S
I’ve been pondering the significance of Jeremy Crawford joining Larian for the Panel from Hell this week. Since he’s the principal 5E rules designer at Wizards, why do you think he’s been invited for this panel? It could be they are wheeling him out to explain why 5E rules don’t need to be translated to a video game faithfully? Or perhaps they’re going the other way and leaning more into 5E so he’s there to explain how they’ve worked hard in 5E on the action economy and balance and Larian are moving to emulate that?

I'm a pessimist, so you can probably guess what I think. An attempt to give this current mess validity.

veteran
veteran

it will be defensive for sure.

"We're thrilled with how BG3 is progressing", etc, etc. There's no way he's going to say "Actually..." lol

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

it will be defensive for sure.

"We're thrilled with how BG3 is progressing", etc, etc. There's no way he's going to say "Actually..." lol

I hope you’re wrong but I doubt it. He has a keen eye for the rules and I’m sure he’d like to see them given a chance, but he’s also the first to say play it however you like at your own table.

addict
addict
It's probably to show that they do converse with WotC about the game. It could also be to talk about the challenge of transitioning rules from a human DM into a computer ruleset. (For example, Adv/Disadvantage are supposed to cancel each other and sometimes they don't in Patch 3).

Lastly, I'm hopeful we are getting combat changes.
We do need to acknowledge that levels 1-4 are the least fun part of a DnD campaign combat-wise and that it's okay to have some homebrew to compensate. (Keyword some).

addict
addict
I think this will reveal WotC's strategy.
They own the IP, so if they wanted they could've put in the contract that they want the rules implemented. If Larian took the project means they both agreed on the terms, this might be that WotC gave them some room to change the mechanics but MAYBE (as many here have pointed out, the majority is silent) this has generated some backlash and their market research indicates that players want a faithful adaptation, thus they are "consulting" through Crawford.

If he is dismisse during the conference and does not make any statement regarding rule implementation, they've probably already agreed with Larian's changes and that's how the game will ship.

I don't have market research, but it would seem logical to me that WotC would want to enforce rule implementation to push cross-sales.

veteran
veteran

Had the same thought / worry. It will be an interesting test for WotC because if they take a "these are just house rules and Larian is the DM" line they will do some damage to their reputation.

I mean if house rules can deviate this much why pay WotC for a ruleset anyway?

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Had the same thought / worry. It will be an interesting test for WotC because if they take a "these are just house rules and Larian is the DM" line they will do some damage to their reputation.

I mean if house rules can deviate this much why pay WotC for a ruleset anyway?

At your table the rules can deviate as much as your group wishes.

The license is for the Forgotten Realms.

veteran
veteran
Of course they can. We all know this. I had a number of house rules. But someone sets the standard that we all deviate from. And that standard should fly from the flagship product. When I was running table top games that someone was the tournaments.

The question I have is are they going to use the house rules talking pointas the thin edge of wedge to argue that the game should remain as DOS-D&D hybrid. I want to see something closer to the rulebooks, I think that would be more fun. Solasta is really fun and it's showing that you need to hybridize the rules to make them fun.

Sure the license is for the Realms and the rules are just "whatever the house decides" why not just use "Mae'rune" as your setting? The PoE world is essentially the Forgotten Realms after it had been taken over by atheists armed with artificer tech. I mean really -- that Sawyer's stated reason for creating his own setting, he didn't want to have to deal with WotC.

S
addict
addict
S
If they want to just say it's for the setting fine, just drop the pretense that it's a D&D game. Pack some explosive barrels around, cast spells of scrolls as a fighter, and down that side of roast dwarf before a goblin Archer fires yet another acid arrow at you.

Sounds great. /s

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by daMichi
At your table the rules can deviate as much as your group wishes.

The license is for the Forgotten Realms.
Isn't the license also for the non-SRD rules? Most of the subclasses, all the feats except for Grappler, etc? E.g., the only Fighter SRD subclass is Champion, so the license allows Larian to use Battlemaster. This is especially relevant since Larian wants to give the players options, and Champion Fighter is the complete opposite of this...

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard