Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
veteran
veteran
This is a part of the SRD that I don't understand. Pathfinder pays WotC something but, reading the SRD, I can't figure out why it does.

Could be this part on the checklist:

* I want my content considered for inclusion in digital games

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
This is a part of the SRD that I don't understand. Pathfinder pays WotC something but, reading the SRD, I can't figure out why it does.

Could be this part on the checklist:

* I want my content considered for inclusion in digital games

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Correct me please if I'm wrong, but Pathfinder was based on the 3.5 SRD, which was complete enough to look like D&D still, and Pathfinder can now stand alone.

The 5.1, is very bare bones.

veteran
veteran
Your information may be better than mine, Pathfinder may now standalone. My source for Pathfinder pays WotC a percentage of sales was someone who sounded confident on a forum smile

S
addict
addict
S
Your information may be better than mine, Pathfinder may now standalone. My source for Pathfinder pays WotC a percentage of sales was someone who sounded confident on a forum smile

I'd have to get a copy of the book but I'm almost positive (after researching the SRDs) that the 3.5 SRD creating D&Ds largest competitor was an oops. smile

old hand
old hand

I don't think this is true, though I have no proof. Pathfinder was as far as I know based on the 3.5 SRD, which was free.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by daMichi
At your table the rules can deviate as much as your group wishes.

The license is for the Forgotten Realms.
Isn't the license also for the non-SRD rules? Most of the subclasses, all the feats except for Grappler, etc? E.g., the only Fighter SRD subclass is Champion, so the license allows Larian to use Battlemaster. This is especially relevant since Larian wants to give the players options, and Champion Fighter is the complete opposite of this...

It is and it isn't. Mechanics like subclasses and feats and such are in a very grey area, legal-wise. I don't think there's a lot WotC could do if somebody were to recreate the Eldritch Knight subclass or the Lucky feat, for example. But the IPs and trademarks are much more legally "tangible" if you get what I mean. They're defensible and easily recognisable. They're big selling points.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Scribe

I'd have to get a copy of the book but I'm almost positive (after researching the SRDs) that the 3.5 SRD creating D&Ds largest competitor was an oops. smile

I actually read an article once that stated WotC considers SRD a success because it did exactly what it intended to do, expand the tabletop audience. I can’t vouch for the validity of that, but D&D has expanded significantly since than so there might be something to it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by daMichi
At your table the rules can deviate as much as your group wishes.

The license is for the Forgotten Realms.
Isn't the license also for the non-SRD rules? Most of the subclasses, all the feats except for Grappler, etc? E.g., the only Fighter SRD subclass is Champion, so the license allows Larian to use Battlemaster. This is especially relevant since Larian wants to give the players options, and Champion Fighter is the complete opposite of this...

It is and it isn't. Mechanics like subclasses and feats and such are in a very grey area, legal-wise. I don't think there's a lot WotC could do if somebody were to recreate the Eldritch Knight subclass or the Lucky feat, for example. But the IPs and trademarks are much more legally "tangible" if you get what I mean. They're defensible and easily recognisable. They're big selling points.
Makes sense. I imagine it strongly depends on the amount copied. If someone recreated a Eldritch Knight without D&D 5e license and called it a "Mage Knight", WotC probably couldn't do that much about it. But if someone recreated ~all of the 5e subclasses and feats, then WotC would have a good copyright infringement argument even if all the names were changed.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Let’s hope some game journalists jump on here soon and see what people really think about Patch 4 and how much Larian is listening to us.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Let’s hope some game journalists jump on here soon and see what people really think about Patch 4 and how much Larian is listening to us.

I guess they had proven that they just don't listen anyone else than those saying "best game ever".
Sorry about that, frustration.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/02/21 08:28 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

I don’t read articles for their opinions. A lot are bought and paid for. I do read for features and technical aspects but even that I don’t take it seriously.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard