Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39
journeyman
journeyman
In Viconia’s case it was because she is a drow. This adlect features in BG2 too where she is about to get burned at the stake because she is a drow.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Roethen
In BG 1 Dorn I-Khan and Baeloth also decreased reputation score. I think it has to do with how well-known those characters are in the realm.

I think players could go the Astarion route and embrace the infection. That way they look to Minthara for guidance with the Absolute, particularly if they want to role play a curious neutral evil or spiritually dejected character.

I had the thought of taking her prisoner before too. Her connection to the Absolute is interesting and would be a good source of intel.

I'm not that familiar with the EE companions, apart from the monk, I didn't really use them. But it makes sense, since Baeloth is a drow too and I think Dorn is some kind of anti paladin?

About the Astarion route: I'm all for it. I think, there should be additional dialigue with Gut (since she is the spiritual leader) about it. I could go behind that, good idea.
Taking Minthara prisoner could give you a bit more insight. Maybe she won't become a companion, but an unwilling camp follower that way.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I fully support the idea of taking Minthara prisoner on a Good run, but she should be able to get out of the cage and become a companion (optional)

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I fully support the idea of taking Minthara prisoner on a Good run, but she should be able to get out of the cage and become a companion (optional)
I doubt Minthara would have any interest in joining a group that imprisoned her. She's a Lolth-sworn Drow, and from what we've seen she's an extremely proud personality, and fierce warrior. She would probably rather die in the name of the Absolute like a true zealot than join the campaign at that point.

I will say it might be fun to have her try and persuade us with her illithid power to set her free or join her.

Last edited by Roethen; 06/02/21 11:10 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I doubt Minthara would have any interest in joining a group that imprisoned her. She's a Lolth-sworn Drow, and from what we've seen she's an extremely proud personality, and fierce warrior. She would probably rather die in the name of the Absolute like a true zealot than join the campaign at that point.

I will say it might be fun to have her try and persuade us with her illithid power to set her free or join her.

There are several parts in the game that actually tell us quite the opposite of what you have written here.

Originally Posted by TheOnlyRealTav
You remember though, that:
- "I do not intend to lead a suicide charge"
- "Goblins are expendable, I am not"
- She spent her whole life "anticipating knife in the back"
- Via mindreading, we get to know that she is pretty cowardly, we can even call her a coward afterwards.

She clearly values her life to a great degree and isn't the most brave person. Also, if defeaten, but not killed:
- She still needs protection from possible drow assasins, as she is an ex-Lolth believer
- Enemies are everywhere, she has no friends as well
- I do not think that Absolute tolerates failure, returning there isn't an option.

At first, she wouldn't join you out of sympathy, to quote Lae'zel - "Practical choice". That would be the reason. She is said to be very intelligent and her possible knowledge of Absolute could be put to a great use for PC. I'm pretty sure she could realise that.

We get to know too, that she isn't exactly the most honest follower of Absolute, probably she sides with them only for power.

The exact moment, when we learn that she
Isn't the most honest follower of the Absolute is when you talk with her in the camp and select the dialogue option "you can resist the Absolute"
She is also completely unaware of having the tadpole inside her, which could be a beginning for a quest, in which she wants to take revenge on the cult. That alone, making her realise that she has been lied to, could make her actually want to side with PC, even if their views would be different.

Minthara is also coded like a companion at this moment -> when you loot her, all equipment that is taken away, literally diseappears from the model. Also notice, how every companion so far has a tadpole inside them. She could join the PC just to find the cure, if she would actually realise what's inside of her head.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

She left Lolth for Absolute because she didn't like Lolth's cruelty and betrayal.
Although, the Absolute makes her do the same. If the Absolute is Lolth, who plays with tadpoles, then Minthara does not know anything about it

Minthara definitely doesn't want to die when she is defeated, and she has no choice because the Absolute will punish for failure and Lolth will punish for defection.

We have the evil Gityanki Laezel in a good party, why not add an evil drow?
She is not as evil as she seems at first glance, and is capable of being quite cute under certain circumstances (like Laezel). Craving for domination and power, pride and arrogance - this is not bad if we are on the same team and no one forces her to betray us, she herself will not do it

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Just let us have her as a companion and romance, Larian.

journeyman
journeyman

She left Lolth for Absolute because she didn't like Lolth's cruelty and betrayal.
Although, the Absolute makes her do the same. If the Absolute is Lolth, who plays with tadpoles, then Minthara does not know anything about it

Minthara definitely doesn't want to die when she is defeated, and she has no choice because the Absolute will punish for failure and Lolth will punish for defection.

We have the evil Gityanki Laezel in a good party, why not add an evil drow?
She is not as evil as she seems at first glance, and is capable of being quite cute under certain circumstances (like Laezel). Craving for domination and power, pride and arrogance - this is not bad if we are on the same team and no one forces her to betray us, she herself will not do it

This is all true. I didn't realize TheOnlyRealTav's points because I haven't been able to play into Minthara's story without the game completely eating shit, so I know very little about her or her motivations. And indeed, we have an evil vampire and an "evil" cleric of Shar as well, an additional evil companion wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with Larian's design. I think it's safe to say we can expect to see her as an additional companion. Hopefully Halsin as well.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
My concern is that they might not make her a companion because I find it easy to just not side with her, games sort of pushes that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher30
My concern is that they might not make her a companion because I find it easy to just not side with her, games sort of pushes that.

Pushes it how?

addict
addict

Yes, this is true. As most people tend to play "good", Larian have pushed you away from the evil path ( i.e. embracing the tadpole ) at every opportunity, presumably to avoid upsetting players accidentally. This was a little counter-productive when they were asking EA to take/test the "evil" path; it took me 4 plays to successfully be "evil" in this game!

Originally Posted by etonbears

Yes, this is true. As most people tend to play "good", Larian have pushed you away from the evil path ( i.e. embracing the tadpole ) at every opportunity, presumably to avoid upsetting players accidentally. This was a little counter-productive when they were asking EA to take/test the "evil" path; it took me 4 plays to successfully be "evil" in this game!

With how glitchy this route is, I think it's less that they are intentionally thematically disuading players - I honestly think it's just unfinished. It makes a lot of sense to go this route after encountering the siblings, Sazza, and realizing you need to get to Moonrise Towers. So I assume they will flesh the route out more.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN
Originally Posted by etonbears

With how glitchy this route is, I think it's less that they are intentionally thematically disuading players - I honestly think it's just unfinished. It makes a lot of sense to go this route after encountering the siblings, Sazza, and realizing you need to get to Moonrise Towers. So I assume they will flesh the route out more.

That's true, the potential complexity of all possible choices/paths in the game means that it often feels glitchy. The further you go from a linear story, the more dificult it is to build the sort of deterministic state model that sensible conversations/choices rely on.

But ignoring which encounters/paths you actually choose, the game, as it currently plays, actively discourages you from using the tadpole through the camp dreams/cutscenes. That's OK, as most people wil want to play the "good" path; just makes it less obvious how to be "evil" to help the EA process.

#756756 17/02/21 09:29 PM
P
addict
addict
P
Got to say, that saucy hook up scene definately made it worth it to go evil, though I did feel bad about wiping out the tieflings. I can't believe you guys were brave enough to put a scene like that in the game, bravo Larian. I really hope I can make her a companion in the main game. I have to say, considering the one scene at the end, I am more and more convinced that the Absolute is going to be Shar.

There's an entire thread of Minthara fans, and it's one of the largest on the website. Don't worry, friend, you are in no way alone.

Last edited by DuskHorseman; 17/02/21 10:02 PM.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
veteran
veteran

veteran
veteran
Jesus Christ, fuck Minthara and that other creepy priest.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Originally Posted by Tuco
Jesus Christ, fuck Minthara and that other creepy priest.
Think that's the point, friend.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Think that's the point, friend.
Yeah, I assume so.
I just wish people would try to do it on their shitty fanfiction blog rather than here.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
stranger
stranger
V
The whole Drow matriarchy mentality can be annoying to deal with but she's the best option of the female options in my opinion. I find the other two options insufferably annoying to deal with.

Last edited by VonFoxFire; 17/02/21 11:18 PM.
Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard