Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
addict
addict
S
Look folks, the narrator is one of the few things I love...

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Scribe

Seriously. Can we romance the narrator? She's way cooler than Minthara.

veteran
veteran
Yeah me too. It's kinda hard to defend the game after the let down of a panel but I actually like the narrator for the reasons @Niara and @Tarlonniel do not -- the voice is honeyed, sultry and seductive and that fits with the whole "evil is seductive" theme the game is going with.

You know you shouldn't use those tadpole powers but it would be so much easier to avoid this persuasion check and just exert authority. You know everything is telling you not to read that book -- it drove its former owner mad, it could be linked to lich who wants to eat your soul and the book itself unmistakably evil in it's very nature.

But those amethyst eyes draw you in and the pages offer you power . . .

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Yeah me too. It's kinda hard to defend the game after the let down of a panel but I actually like the narrator for the reasons @Niara and @Tarlonniel do not -- the voice is honeyed, sultry and seductive and that fits with the whole "evil is seductive" theme the game is going with.

You know you shouldn't use those tadpole powers but it would be so much easier to avoid this persuasion check and just exert authority. You know everything is telling you not to read that book -- it drove its former owner mad, it could be linked to lich who wants to eat your soul and the book itself unmistakably evil in it's very nature.

But those amethyst eyes draw you in and the pages offer you power . . .

I'm not even going to worry about if the voice fits the game. When I need or the game warrants narration, give me a voice I want to hear. wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Scribe

Seriously. Can we romance the narrator? She's way cooler than Minthara.

+1

Besides, as every Icewind Dale player should know, there's the possibility the narrator is Lolth or maybe the tadpole, just like the kind narrator of IWD was, in fact, Belhifet.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Originally Posted by Niara
Personally, I find that honeyed sultry smugness to be wholly inappropriate for a narrator's delivery. It's a great VA, and would work wonderfully on an NPC, but it has no business being our narrator with that mode of delivery.

You said it better than I ever could.

As you both said! The voice of erinyes or of a succubus.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
It's Malady. What is NOT to like?
I really liked the one in DOS2, but the new one does a bang-up job too. I would not have imagined a female voice to be so pleasant (oftentimes too high-pitched). Larian really have mastered voice acting.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Hands down best thing in the game!

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
I listened the actors, and they all sound the same, at least Narrator has different tone/voice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
It feels odd to have the narrator... trying to seduce me or something? That's not going to work at all, it's just uncomfortable.
Yep, exactly the same impression. The voice itself is good, somewhat similar to that of Claudia Black (Morrigan) and Abby Craden (Alyn Shir). Probably also contralto. But the way the lines are delivered... it feels really out of place.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
I dont understand the hate, it fits for Borislav Slavov music. At least this track has that dark/dreamy tone. Its pretty good match if you put them both play at same time.

We need some deep bass drum for the game.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 27/01/22 07:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
When taken into the account the whole thing narrator doesn't stick out to me in any negative way. I don't like the overall tone Larian is going for (is there even a coherent tone to BG3?) but narrator never jumped out to me as negative, then let say Astarion does. Maybe because there is already artificiality to the presence of the narrator that her over the top delivery doesn't irritate me as much as an in-universe character behaving in a ridiculous way.

old hand
old hand
And I like the Narrator's voice!

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Make collab with Lana.. Lana's voice is dark, dreamy, depressing, uplifting at the same.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 01/02/22 02:11 AM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
One of the things I most enjoy of the game is the narrator and her script. Specially the more marked tones in certain edgy lines, that would otherwise be wasted. Including the smug, ironic, sarcastic, playful. It is, along with some of the dialogue acting/animations, a central piece of my inmersion.

Qia Offline
stranger
stranger
I've deleted the game's voice files just so I wouldn't have to listen to her.

That said i'm curious as to why they went with this type of narration instead of a more normal storyteller approach.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Qia
I've deleted the game's voice files just so I wouldn't have to listen to her.

That said i'm curious as to why they went with this type of narration instead of a more normal storyteller approach.

If I had known that was an option or even had the requisite knowledge how to do so, I would have done the same.

In some respects I suppose the narrators voice can be said to fit some of the themes in the storyline, concepts like seduction, etc. but I prefer my narrators delivery to convey a little more gravitas, wisdom and solemnity. I find her voice too loaded with innuendo and an underlying sort of smirking humour, which is very symptomatic of Larian's playful style in general. To digress, the music in its own right is fine but feels a little too contemporary; the bard's song particularly could come from a modern musical. I just like my fantasy RPGs to have a slightly ye olde world feel I guess.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Backside
I know a lot of people really like the BG3 narrator voice but personally it makes me cringe...just seems really smug to me! I’m looking forward to this game but I think this one issue might have me banging my head off my walls more than once! Someone said that it’s like you’ve woken up with this woman the morning after you’ve been seduced! 😆 Not the worst thing I admit but I don’t think I need it in a D&D video game! What do you guys think?

Think its better than Alfira the Tiefling singing Weeping Dawn, kinda want to bash my face in when listening to this lady sing.

apprentice
apprentice
The narrator is sultry and seductive? That's over my head, just like real life lol. Could never pick up flirty vibes from people.

Anyways I do like the voice and have no problem with the tone or feel, given the world's setting. But it would be nice if you could choose between, say, 3 voices. I can completely get being saddled with a voice that makes ears bleed. I prefer male voice narration, and would probably pick it if the narrator is not my main character's voice actor (I did play a game that this was the case but I cannot for the life of me remember it)

Also now I want a flake. Need to head to the import store tomorrow. Thanks guys XD

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
Think its better than Alfira the Tiefling singing Weeping Dawn, kinda want to bash my face in when listening to this lady sing.
Thankfully it can be skipped. :3

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard