Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Alright, kids, gather around the campfire because we are going to be in Act 1 for a while, and once you've read through all the in-world books and tested the romantic prowess of companions and enemies, things can get pretty boring. How can we make them more spicy?

We can't.

Well, we can, but not in game, that's what AO3 is for.

However, maybe it would be a good thing to throw in some activities that you can do at camp and only at camp. For instance:

- A fishing game (seems kind of obvious, we are Down By The River after all). For bears, it could be a "catch the fish mid-air mini-game instead".

- In the same line, hunting and foraging at camp.

- For Astarion fans: Instead of making him say "please", make the vamp work for his snacks. Copy-paste the Chicken Run from the Goblin camp into the party camp and let the player set oils and traps between Astarion and his prey. Then watch him try to catch it.

- Puzzles! A Githyanki rubik's cube for Shadowheart, Sudoku or Twin Images for Gale.

- A brewing / mixology mini-game for Gale and Lae'zel, those two are constantly craddling a mug.

- Teach Scratch and the Owlbear Cub some tricks.

- Basic cooking and crafting (I know, I KNOW) -- but imagine carrying apple pies instead of apples, or being able to change your tunic / armour's colour to one or another.

- Please give Skelly some more lines, he's a bit of a party pooper right now.

What would you like to see at camp? hehe

EDIT (from another thread) - With the Goodberry update, it would be great if we could have a goodberry jam-making mini-game, either to consume or to sell at the Grove and the Myconid colony.

Last edited by BeeBee; 19/02/21 07:58 PM. Reason: more ideas!
old hand
old hand
How about a minigame where you play as scratch and have to steal bones from Skellytor and hide them before he finds you?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
How about a minigame where you play as scratch and have to steal bones from Skellytor and hide them before he finds you?

I would slaughter fifteen myconid colonies to get that minigame.

S
addict
addict
S
I would like to see the camp become a pocket dimension accessible through one of those magical portals, or the camp environment change according to area. The camp lacks internal logic as implemented and this is contributing negatively to immersion.

- Camp infiltrated by a MIMIC (shapechanger who can polymorph into objects such as chests).
- Stargazing mini-game or event (chance to use some Faerun constellations/lore).

BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Seraphael
I would like to see the camp become a pocket dimension accessible through one of those magical portals, or the camp environment change according to area. The camp lacks internal logic as implemented and this is contributing negatively to immersion.

- Camp infiltrated by a MIMIC (shapechanger who can polymorph into objects such as chests).
- Stargazing mini-game or event (chance to use some Faerun constellations/lore).

I love the stargazing mini-game, and there's even a dialogue in the first nights that would be a perfect lead-in.

Are MIMICS sentient or more like hungry hippos -- say goodbye forever to anything that you put in that chest?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by BeeBee
Are MIMICS sentient or more like hungry hippos -- say goodbye forever to anything that you put in that chest?

[Linked Image from media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com]

Maybe a little of both? wink

S
addict
addict
S

Hey what do you have against myconids?

Hmm. Mushrooms. I wonder if myconids would taste like meaty portabello mushrooms?

I really hate suggesting minigames when I think there's so many other things that need fixing. But it'd be cool to play card games or dragonchess with the other companions or other players in multiplayer mode. Even allow dialogue with companions while playing so we aren't just standing around.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 19/02/21 05:44 PM.
Not so much minigames, but other activities that are done in PnP during camp as opposed to while adventuring. A perfect example would the wizard's spell copying. That takes a few hours per spell lvl (personally, I do 1 hour per spell lvl when I DM, but that's just me), so have any spell copy work done then.

Have crafting. Toolkits in PnP, like alchemy, herbalism, poisoner's kit, or smithing kit. Have the characters work on individual projects like making potions, making armor and weapons, or even crafting scrolls during this time. The more complex, the longer it would take (in the form of in game days). I understand that potions and such are relatively easily accessible in game, but the idea of being able to make such gear is appealing to me. Think about it, a rogue who is able to make his own poisons, and different kinds of poisons for that matter. smile

Not so much minigames, but other activities that are done in PnP during camp as opposed to while adventuring. A perfect example would the wizard's spell copying. That takes a few hours per spell lvl (personally, I do 1 hour per spell lvl when I DM, but that's just me), so have any spell copy work done then.

Have crafting. Toolkits in PnP, like alchemy, herbalism, poisoner's kit, or smithing kit. Have the characters work on individual projects like making potions, making armor and weapons, or even crafting scrolls during this time. The more complex, the longer it would take (in the form of in game days). I understand that potions and such are relatively easily accessible in game, but the idea of being able to make such gear is appealing to me. Think about it, a rogue who is able to make his own poisons, and different kinds of poisons for that matter. smile

BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Hey what do you have against myconids?

Hmm. Mushrooms. I wonder if myconids would taste like meaty portabello mushrooms?

I really hate suggesting minigames when I think there's so many other things that need fixing. But it'd be cool to play card games or dragonchess with the other companions or other players in multiplayer mode. Even allow dialogue with companions while playing so we aren't just standing around.

I love myconids, that's why it would be such a sacrifice. Although now that you mention portobello mushrooms, well... hmm... maybe it wouldn't.

Cards and dragonchess in multiplayer sounds neat. I'd love to be able to play Tarot (the game, not the divination) with the Barovian tarot cards.

Someone in another thread mentioned that this would be a great mission for modders instead of the devs, as that might increase the creep... and I agree. But it would still be pretty cool to get some activities to pass the time until release hehe

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Vortex138

I think we will see crafting. There's a work bench in the camp already. We just need a cauldron to make potions.

veteran
veteran
Making good berry jam to sell in the druid Grove.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar

Hear hear!

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

Astarion obviously knows a thing a two about hair. Maybe he could run a salon in camp so we can change our hairstyles?

Maybe have to pass a persuasion check to not get a random 'doo?

Last edited by Umbra; 19/02/21 08:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar

Hear hear!

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

grin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Umbra
Astarion obviously knows a thing a two about hair. Maybe he could run a salon in camp so we can change our hairstyles?

I'm pretty sure we can mod The Sims 4 to get Astarion in the Beautician career.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Umbra

It would be great to be able to change hairstyles at camp. up I would also like to be able to select a decoration theme (druid theme, wizard theme, etc.) as well as display mementos received as rewards for completing quests.

veteran
veteran
I will admit, I enjoy my fair share of mini-games to distract me, and playing some of them in camp would be really neat.

Does anyone recall Neverwinter Nights, original, wherein you get given a Maguffin at the very beginning that functionally gives you access to a powerful spell ability for the sake of camping/resting/restoration (the stone that lets you warp back to the base point for the chapter from anywhere, completely unlimited)?

If Larian make the auto-camp actually coherent with the universe of the game, many of my complaints about its immersion-breaking setting would go away. So what if they just found a way to provide the player with Pocket-stone of Magnificent Mansions, then the teleport to the camp cell and back to where you came from would actually line up with the world and have a legitimate explanation. Sure, it's a stupidly powerful magic artefact, yes... but it would be an in-universe *Answer* that would work.

Then we could have all of the pocket-dimension shenanigans for mini-games and rest time activities that we like. Want to go to the hot spring with your beau? It's in the mansion! Conversations during sparring sessions in the training room with Lae'zel, Puzzle games with Gale, a bar where Wyll enjoys practicing his dramatic retellings of his adventures to a few dozen of the mansion's ethereal servants, who all cheer and clap politely at appropriate moments. Shadowheart spends all her time in her room and won't let anyone in. It's secretly decorated with Unicorns, but she never lets anyone see. Astarion could spend all his time in the tanning salon, because of the irony that he can now. A park to play with Scratch in, while the scribe rows about on the little lake in a wooden boat and a black robe, and dryly calls it 'cosplay'.

And I just kinda like the idea of a bunch of various mini games to play in between adventuring, during the rest time when it's guilt free in terms of time crunch...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Does anyone recall Neverwinter Nights, original, wherein you get given a Maguffin at the very beginning that functionally gives you access to a powerful spell ability for the sake of camping/resting/restoration (the stone that lets you warp back to the base point for the chapter from anywhere, completely unlimited)?

If Larian make the auto-camp actually coherent with the universe of the game, many of my complaints about its immersion-breaking setting would go away. So what if they just found a way to provide the player with Pocket-stone of Magnificent Mansions, then the teleport to the camp cell and back to where you came from would actually line up with the world and have a legitimate explanation. Sure, it's a stupidly powerful magic artefact, yes... but it would be an in-universe *Answer* that would work.
Perfect! smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
Then we could have all of the pocket-dimension shenanigans for mini-games and rest time activities that we like. Want to go to the hot spring with your beau? It's in the mansion! Conversations during sparring sessions in the training room with Lae'zel, Puzzle games with Gale, a bar where Wyll enjoys practicing his dramatic retellings of his adventures to a few dozen of the mansion's ethereal servants, who all cheer and clap politely at appropriate moments. Shadowheart spends all her time in her room and won't let anyone in. It's secretly decorated with Unicorns, but she never lets anyone see. Astarion could spend all his time in the tanning salon, because of the irony that he can now. A park to play with Scratch in, while the scribe rows about on the little lake in a wooden boat and a black robe, and dryly calls it 'cosplay'.

+1 to all this.

Also, I think the Camp Dimension "Thingy" should totally be a thing. And by Thingy I have in mind something like the Genie Warlock's bottle, a lamp, a globe, or whatever, but something shiny. Not only would it make the game coherent and more immersive, it could also have real, and hopefully funny adventuring implications. Why were we so focussed on risking being attacked before the completion of a long rest ? Would it not be better if, while we rest and recover our resources, a goblin picks up our Mini-Mansion and bring it back to their room ? Imagine all the places and scenes we could discover ourselves thrown into when getting out of the bottle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard