Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
I'm sure many here have at least dabbled with tabletop roleplay, I was wondering, do you recall your first character? If you are still playing, what character are you playing now?

For those who never played table top or don't right now, how about your first custom RPG character from any medium, like video games? And maybe what you intend to play in BG3?

EDIT: also any memorable characters or stories you remember.

I'll start and this will definitely date me:

My first ever character was a Halfling. Just a halfling because basic D&D didn't give demi-humans classes. I ended up with halfling because all his scores were so low, I had to choose either Thief or Halfling. I picked halfling because I liked hobbits. I don't remember the name but he managed to survive till level 3 in the legendary Keep of the Borderlands module. He didn't die but my little group decided to move on to AD&D so I rolled up a new character.

My current is Kelian the half-elf eldritch knight. Hailing from the far lands of Aglarond, Kelian has traveled to the west to seek his fortune. He will also make an appearance in BG3 as my main character.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 22/02/21 03:32 PM.
W
old hand
old hand
W
My first character that I played continuously (when I first started playing D&D as a kid in summer camp we rarely kept our characters for more than 3 to 5 sessions) was for the unauthorized D&D (prior to AD&D) supplement Warlock, which used slightly a different class system. He was a Human multiclass Fighter / Mage named Johann who used fire magic and had a berserker vorpal great sword. I have remade this character in every D&D game I’ve ever played, including BG3.

My current character is a 4 Arcane Trickster Rogue / 6 Shadow Monk Half-Drow named Pavel. Pavel goes by the moniker Shadow because being a professional assassin is more about marketing than killing and having a flashy name impresses potential clients. He speaks with an outrageous cartoon Russian accent and is a generally friendly and decent fellow for a hired killer.

He is the twin brother of my previous character in the campaign, a Warlock / Paladin named Pyotr / Shade who didn’t know he was a warlock and was lawful evil but thought himself a righteous but misunderstood hero. Pyotr was killed by a flock of 60 demonic underwater chickens while trying to chase down and murder merman-Channing Tatum. Subsequent, the rest of the party think Pavel is either Pyotr playing a trick or his ghost or a zombie.

Last edited by Warlocke; 22/02/21 04:35 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
It has been decades since I last played tabletop D&D but one way or another I always seem to play an Elven Wizard. My most memorable character was a Grey (High) Elf Wizard and that is what I usually end up playing in any computer version of D&D.

enthusiast
enthusiast
First d&d character would be a very modified Kobold rogue detective, I named the race Silver Kobold. 3.5 you could modify attributes in some way using the Monster Manual if I remember correctly.

He was overly broken and no one thought about checking my toon out until the game was almost over.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
My first was a really poorly built out Rogue (Human). I was next to useless at anything but locks. lol

My latest was a Paladin, Oath of Conquest. Just the perfect encapsulation of arrogance, and self righteousness.

My Favorite, was a Tiefling, Paladin. This was back when Tiefling had a -2 Cha modifier. laugh

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I'm sure many here have at least dabbled with tabletop roleplay, I was wondering, do you recall your first character? If you are still playing, what character are you playing now?

For those who never played table top or don't right now, how about your first custom RPG character from any medium, like video games? And maybe what you intend to play in BG3?

I'll start and this will definitely date me:

My first ever character was a Halfling. Just a halfling because basic D&D didn't give demi-humans classes. I ended up with halfling because all his scores were so low, I had to choose either Thief or Halfling. I picked halfling because I liked hobbits. I don't remember the name but he managed to survive till level 3 in the legendary Keep of the Borderlands module. He didn't die but my little group decided to move on to AD&D so I rolled up a new character.

My current is Kelian the half-elf eldritch knight. Hailing from the far lands of Aglarond, Kelian has traveled to the west to seek his fortune. He will also make an appearance in BG3 as my main character.

My first characters were actually human twins. A sister, who was a chaotic/neutral wizard and her brother who was a good warrior (of course this was during my Dragonlance obsession days). I had an awesome backstory for them I can even remember today. I really miss the days sometimes of rolling new character sheets and coming up with their backstories. I had a great DM too, a good friend of mine. We had a continuing campaign and then short, 1 night free play with alternate characters where we could do short adventures that were not connected to our main campaign. If your main campaign character died, he would work it in the main campaign to bring in your alternate.

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
I'm seeing a lot of pretty interesting first characters. I'm also enjoying all the little added information people are providing.

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
My first characters were actually human twins. A sister, who was a chaotic/neutral wizard and her brother who was a good warrior (of course this was during my Dragonlance obsession days). I had an awesome backstory for them I can even remember today. I really miss the days sometimes of rolling new character sheets and coming up with their backstories. I had a great DM too, a good friend of mine. We had a continuing campaign and then short, 1 night free play with alternate characters where we could do short adventures that were not connected to our main campaign. If your main campaign character died, he would work it in the main campaign to bring in your alternate.

There were some days where all our group did is role up characters. We'd try to collaborate and weave their stories together so there was a reason why they banded together other than the stereotypical meeting in a tavern. The most bizarre groupings had an elf wizard, half-orc samurai, half-giant fighter, human cavalier...yeah, I don't think we really tried to tie them together. They just met and decided to kill stuff. I still scratch my head wondering how these four would have met up...

enthusiast
enthusiast
My first character was in D&D, an elven rogue named Kiara.

At the moment, we are playing mostly Call of Cthulhu and one of my current characters is Maximilian zu York, an explorer with a dark twist (he is a serial killer in the making). The other character is Alayne McKenzie, a bookseller from Scotland. Both campaigns are in the 1920th, Max is situated in Arkham currently, Alayne is in Canada.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Pretty sure my first ever was an elf Wizard. We were playing with an old ruleset, forgot which one, and probably had only two games in the week I was at this camp.
Played a bit with VtM (Brujah, Gangrel and Tremere) none of these games lasted long at all. Did more LARP with this world (one as Brujah, the other as Follower of Set) than tabletop. Probably did more character creation for friends than actually playing.

Current DnD is for the main game a Half Drow Arcane Trickster (CN) and another with a Tiefling Eldritch Knight (NE) Only played him once so far though.

For BG I will most likely play similar characters to these but also add Hunter Ranger, Warlock (GOO) and Necromancy Wizard. The EK will probably become a Battlemaster with the current system. I have really bad altitis, so probably one of every class somehow except Bard and Paladin unless they add Conquest. smile

old hand
old hand
1st edition grey elf fighter / magic user. Freyaen (I was 10). Completely OP. Carried blackrazor and a frost brand, rode a griffon. After that a human thief who was killed in the tomb or horrors and Lexoral (I was 13) my human wizard -- killed Baba Yaga and retired as demigod. And then it's half elf wizards up until 3.5 with a few disposable tournament-only clerics.

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
1st edition grey elf fighter / magic user. Freyaen (I was 10). Completely OP. Carried blackrazor and a frost brand, rode a griffon. After that a human thief who was killed in the tomb or horrors and Lexoral (I was 13) my human wizard -- killed Baba Yaga and retired as demigod. And then it's half elf wizards up until 3.5 with a few disposable tournament-only clerics.

You know old curmudgeons like me would probably not play what I played back when I was a kid but man those adventures were fun. Completely OP and broken but fun.

Deities and Demigods wasn’t a reference book. It was a hit list. grin

Last edited by spectralhunter; 22/02/21 03:33 PM.
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Zarna
For BG I will most likely play similar characters to these but also add Hunter Ranger, Warlock (GOO) and Necromancy Wizard. The EK will probably become a Battlemaster with the current system. I have really bad altitis, so probably one of every class somehow except Bard and Paladin unless they add Conquest. smile

I think lots of people are waiting for paladin which makes sense as paladin is one of the better well thought out class in 5e.

I’ll probably role a ranger too. I’ve always liked the class due to Aragorn (ranger was originally based on him, not that drow dual wielder!). In BG2 I loved the ranger/cleric.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Deities and Demigods wasn’t a reference book. It was a hit list. grin

Precisely smile

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard