Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by footface
Multiplayer is nothing but a boon. Those games may be great, but they would be better with friends.

No matter how good solasta is or how faithful it may be 5e dnd, it will never be able to deliver what Bg3 can, because it is and always will be a single player experience.

BG3 will never be able to deliver what BG1 and BG2 did... Is that because they were solo games ? Or is it just a personnal opinion ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/05/21 08:06 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Seriously, I am so sick of hearing about Solasta.

Solasta doesn't have multiplayer, its not even a contender. I am not saying it doesn't look interesting but without the multi what's the point? You play it once, alone in your home with nobody to banter with or get you into (out of) bad situations?

Without multiplayer what's the point? Let me give you an alternative perspective because you do not speak for everyone. Some of us have never played D&D outside of the video game iterations and enjoyed very much playing those games on our own. In the case of the previous BG games, those are to this day some of my most memorable video game experiences of all time.

I have played it multiple times, on my own. And enjoyed it. I do not wish to play BG3 with anyone else.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Multiplayer is nice, but I play BG3 for its story, visuals and characters. Dragon Age series which I also love, is also single player. Many games with an amazing storyline are single player and there is nothing wrong with that.
I have never played DnD in the past (never had the opportunity) so I only see it as an underlying system of rules/mechanics for the game.
While there have been times my husband has joined my BG3 game to control some characters and help me out in a difficult fight, this option is icing on the cake.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Seriously, I am so sick of hearing about Solasta.
Welcome to the club.

In fact, the more people talk about this game, the less I want to try it, lol. It's starting to get annoying.

Same here.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
We have pissed them so much with Solasta that they will wait for the 27th, date of it's release to release their patch 5 !
That would be hilarious! laugh

veteran
veteran
Solasta Solasta Solasta. JK.

😄

I get it. It's been talked to death.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him

If you say that in front of a mirror a pimply, overweight nerd appears behind you and starts lecturing you in a high-pitched, nasally voice on how Solasta does reactions better. Roll CON save DC 14 against your own spinal cord strangling your brain to death.

They then casually pass gas and wander out the door. Take 4d10 Necrotic.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 12/05/21 09:21 AM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran

If you say that in front of a mirror a pimply, overweight nerd appears behind you and starts lecturing you on how Solasta does reactions better. Roll Con save DC 14 against your own spinal cord strangling your brain to death.

OMG! Almost laughed out loud.

If you say that in front of a mirror a pimply, overweight nerd appears behind you and starts lecturing you on how Solasta does reactions better. Roll Con save DC 14 against your own spinal cord strangling your brain to death.

See, this is the homebrew shit we're talking about. It's spoiled bg3, now it's spoiling our forums. I'm taking solasta, and I'm going home.

Last edited by footface; 12/05/21 04:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
.Nah nah! This homebrew is hilarious Im good with it. 😄

I want to fight the hag now and summon the pimply, overweight nerd to fight FOR me.

😂

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Well I am sure they are playing with all the friends they have...which sounds like a diss but its more a statement on how these games isolate us from our communities. I reject that, emphatically. Humans are social creatures and if we can't create games that reinforce positive community interaction then we are failing at creating a healthy and sustainable culture.

Multiplayer is nothing but a boon. Those games may be great, but they would be better with friends.

No matter how good solasta is or how faithful it may be 5e dnd, it will never be able to deliver what Bg3 can, because it is and always will be a single player experience.

I can only speak for myself and myself only - but I am with CJM (again) on this.

I already have other games dedicated to playing with friends - moba games, MMORPGs, not mentioning my DnD campaign. But not CRPGs - CRPGs are mine to enjoy by myself - I tried playing CRPGs with friends, but it was a DISASTER and not enjoyable at all and not something I will repeat in any near future.

Here's why: I play CRPGs for the same reason most do - I want to get immersed in the story, the characters and the game entirely. I want to be able to dwell for hours, and hours if necessary (I got MUCH better stamina than all of the people I play with, with the ONE exception being my brother which is pretty much my equal). It is basically the same for me as reading a good book or watching a good movie - I hate being interrupted or distracted unless I feel ready to leave by myself - but adding the human element invites for 1110 different possible distrubances and distractions.

And - inviting more players ruin ALL of the positive points mentioned above for me - the game automatically became more like the standard multiplayer game where tactical gameplay got the better of the roleplaying experience - and the party was all over the place with the thief going around pick-pocketing at random, our newest person standing AFK reading spells for the entire session, our returning vet running all over the place impatiently wanting to continue and me just standing there somewhere in the middle wondering why the F I got the idea to play a CRPG with friends. You are not even the slightest immersed in the story anymore, nobody wants to hear the dialogue that the random flavor NPC has and everybody wants to min-max their classes.

Take PoE for an instant! Remember all of those backer-NPCs that had their own flavors? I clicked and read each and every one of them that I came across - including it in my RP experience. That would have been nothing short of IMPOSSIBLE with another player tapping their foot, waiting for me.

In my particular case - one of the best things about CRPGs in my particular scenario is *getting rid* of the human element without necessary feeling lonely (because of well-written characters). Being able to play for the entire party feels like a blessing when you come from a catastrophic session of MMORPG dungeon running. Like for real - it feels sooo amazing to just take control over the entire encounter and not "wiping" over and over due to things you have no power of. :']

So no - the only person I'll consider playing CRPGs with again is my brother. He shares my stamina and my die-hard dedication to story elements and he is kind enough to never rush me in any way when we're playing even if I want to read each and every book we find, or speak to each and every NPCs - quite the opposite, he often encourages me. At the same time I *KNOW* he will always pull his weight because he is just a damn prodigy at gaming in general. :'] We played some BG3, but he does not want to spoil too much before release so we did not get very far, so instead we're currently on a DOS2 adventure on the highest difficulty, doing remarkably well.

Last edited by Dez; 16/06/21 01:30 AM.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
I can only speak for myself and myself only - but I am with CJM (again) on this.

I already have other games dedicated to playing with friends - moba games, MMORPGs, not mentioning my DnD campaign. But not CRPGs - CRPGs are mine to enjoy by myself - I tried playing CRPGs with friends, but it was a DISASTER and not enjoyable at all and not something I will repeat in any near future.

Here's why: I play CRPGs for the same reason most do - I want to get immersed in the story, the characters and the game entirely. I want to be able to dwell for hours, and hours if necessary (I got MUCH better stamina than all of the people I play with, with the ONE exception being my brother which is pretty much my equal). It is basically the same for me as reading a good book or watching a good movie - I hate being interrupted or distracted unless I feel ready to leave by myself - but adding the human element invites for 1110 different possible distrubances and distractions.

These essays. I swear save some for your professors. :P

Anyway, you know doing one thing doesn't preclude the other? I Do play singleplayer all the time for the reasons you just stated.

However, for long term replayability and hijinks there is nothing like multiplayer. As long as you know not to take yourself seriously and follow the rules of improvisation its fine. Although I always suggest setting expectations at the start. Some groups like to mess with each other which can be fun if everyone is in on it.

Again the key is to find good people. I have built up a great list of fun people to play with. I have also made note of people I don't ever want to play with because of various anti-social tendencies.

But honestly everyone is entitled to their own way to play. I think we were just saying that multiplayer is extremely valuable for the game - especially if it becomes a platform where people (or Larian or 3rd parties) can build additional mods that we can export from. Imagine having a good group of friends who you go through multiple Mods with as you level your characters?

fun!

Blackheifer
Dez Offline
addict
addict
These essays. I swear save some for your professors. :P

Worry not! I assure you they get their share too. :'] I mean, what is a forum made for, if not to express one's thoughts and opinions through text and discuss differing ideas? :]

Anyway, you know doing one thing doesn't preclude the other? I Do play singleplayer all the time for the reasons you just stated."

Of course! I just gave you my point of view, where CRPGs (for me) is basically exclusively a singleplayer thing.

[...] But honestly everyone is entitled to their own way to play.

Absolutely! Do not mistake me bringing my sentiment to the table with me trying to tell you that your preferences are "wrong". I am simply contributing to the mass of opinions for the sake of discussion. :]

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
It'd be kinda nice if Larian could confirm we are substantially closer to Patch 5, just something, no hard date or promises, just a start to active communication and cooperation, maybe even a hint of what IS already done for the patch.

Good news! It's OFFICIAL. After today we will be ONE DAY CLOSER to the release of Patch 5!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

BG3 will never be able to deliver what BG1 and BG2 did... Is that because they were solo games ? Or is it just a personnal opinion ?

They were solo- player focused because of the engine but they did have Multiplayer ^^ Not very popular multiplayer becasue of the RTWP but it was there. Just a side note.

And below are just my loose thoughs on it:

It definitely can't deliver the same thing though. We're all 20 years older. It just needs to deliver 3 things to be legit BG3 and not just " another rpg".
1) Something that redefines standards in at least 1 category in the genre.
2) Good characters interactions/dialogues.
3) Good combat mechanics.

What does "something" and " good" stands for here? Well... that's the tricky part isn't it?

1) BG2 had a lot of the dialogues voiced( Kinda insane back then considering the amount of them), now any RPG that doesn't offer this ( Pathfinder smile ) is a no-go for me. I just can't. And it was the main selling point for BG2+1 apart from D&D lore. The same way larian is putting A LOT of emphasis on dialogues with NPC with cutscenes etc. Not so much on dialogues with characters ( YET?!).

2) There's more than that to an RPG obviously but it kinda sums up the most important things after me. Any quest/story is funny to discover if your characters keep their own identity and manifest it.
Fane in DOS2 was perfect after me, he had always something to say. Same for jaheira or anomen in bg2.

3) It's about taste I guess. Some say it's too far from D&D rules right now, some think it's too close and the truth is BG2 was kinda using advanced D&D edition. A competitive set of rules back when D&D wanted to have a pro scene of D&D for some reason. An idea that was dismissed but made Bioware's life easier. In case of BG3 they readapted the much looser 5th edition and obviously put their own experience in it. I'm in the " D&D rules pls" clan but we'll see. I hope larian can apeal to both groups.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
stranger
stranger
I hate to ask this, but as of 6/17/2021 it has been 112 days since the last Community Update and 27 days since the last Hotfix.
Is the game still being developed?

Maxim 14: "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobere
I
Is the game still being developed?

In a word, yes.

Originally Posted by virion
1) BG2 had a lot of the dialogues voiced( Kinda insane back then considering the amount of them), now any RPG that doesn't offer this ( Pathfinder smile ) is a no-go for me. I just can't. And it was the main selling point for BG2+1 apart from D&D lore. The same way larian is putting A LOT of emphasis on dialogues with NPC with cutscenes etc. Not so much on dialogues with characters ( YET?!).

You know there are a lot of voiced dialogues in PF:WotR, right?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by daMichi
Originally Posted by virion

You know there are a lot of voiced dialogues in PF:WotR, right?

I haven't played either Pathfinder game but I assume he is talking about Kingmaker cause WotR is still in EA/Beta mode and thus isn't that public yet.

veteran
veteran
Bg2 really didn't have "A LOT" of dialogues voiced, by the way.
Just a handful of the major ones and then a fair amount of combat barks.

The beta for WoTR has been weird so far. They keep saying "they won't go full voice acting because it's too expensive" but at the same time with the last updates they added SO MANY of them you can't help but wonder if at this point it wouldn't make more sense to just go "All in" about it.

Last edited by Tuco; 18/06/21 08:58 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard