#759610 25/02/21 07:06 PM
D
dwig Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
Its here guys

Mod edit of title after creating Megathread.

Last edited by Sadurian; 01/03/21 04:00 PM.
#759640 25/02/21 08:07 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So started new playthrough with a druid, using no mods and the default options.

Tutorial feedback:

• New Video Tutorials are nice but we need more of them.
  • Could the video be scaled bigger?
  • Did not see ones for: ( full list is in Journal - Tutorial )
  • Using alt key. ( found the list of tutorial, this is under tooltips )
  • Save management still needs to be improved
  • Cinematics do look better
  • Still too many explosive barrels, in the first imp fight, one did flamebolt and half that starting area exploded, killing Us.
  • Camera controls and movement still a bit clunky, I do we there was a camera mode to follow the main character and WASD or arrow keys for movement.
  • Pathfinding seems better.
  • So after Us was dead, there was another Cinematics that pooped up where Us told us to go to the helm, seems like that would be a bug.

I'll add more and I test more.

• Lootable barrels do not display with alt key
• Looks like all the videos for tutorials are not done yet.
• Druid at level 2 of the moon do not get a flying wild shape which is correct.
• Once the wildshape window is open, can not dismiss it? So quitting the game is the only way I have figured out how to close that window so far.
• For some reason, Shadowheart did not level when I did. When Astarian joined, he was level 2. (OK, she leveled on the next encounter )
• Got an inspiration point for killing the mindflayer from the crash, hope we have more ways to get them in the game.
• So pathfinding still needs more work, party ran right through an acid puddle.
• Wizard can still learn Cleric spells, since this is patch 4, starting to think Larian sees this as a feature and no a bug.
• Food still heals in combat and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Moving behind someone still gives advantage and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Higher ground still gives advantage for attacker and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• If you go to bed and there people who wish to talk to you, you get a pop up asking you if you want to sleep without talking to them.

Chapel area

• Can not cancel an attack or spell. It was that I could hit the escape key to change a melee attack or range attack or if I had a spell selected, I could cancel it to do another action. I am not able to do that in patch 4.
• The maps are still be bad, hope they get improved.
• If Wildshaped, turn back to humanoid automatically for conversations, not sure how I feel about that, I can see why but still seems a bit strange.
• The Chapel is a good level 2 adventure though I did use a long rest after each encounter, just using simple tactics, was not much of an issue with Gale, Shadowheart, Asterian and a Moon Druid.
• Moon Druid is a bit overpowered at 2nd level with that 30 heath bear. Only issue is no range attack so few turns had to use dash to move to next target.

Druid Grove

• Druid Grove gate still bet off the attack but every NPC outside died, oh well.
• So Zelkor will not talk to a Bear. Have to manually dismiss Wildshape.
• Zelkor does not have any dialog about me being a Tiefling or a Druid?
• Arron, the Druid vendor offers a discount to fellow Druids.
• So selling all the junk I picked up until now, I made like 1250 gold.
• Arcane Trickster can not learn spells from scrolls which seems to be correct.
• Dialogs are still not allowing you to switch to your main if you have another person selected when you start one.
• The Guidance bug where party started to dance about when it was cast looks to be fixed.
• Leveling seems to restore you like a long rest?
• Casting Guidance is easier with ability to target portraits
• Saving child from Kagha is easier now? Was just one roll.
• So they fixed the conversation with Nettie, no longer do you have to make several rolls, she just talk through it all with you. They added more details too so it’s much better now.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 26/02/21 01:00 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
• Wizard can still learn Cleric spells, since this is patch 4, starting to think Larian sees this as a feature and no a bug.
• Food still heals in combat and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Moving behind someone still gives advantage and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Higher ground still gives avantage for attacker and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.

frown

Thanks for the update.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On a positive note, PRAISE THE LORD THE COMBAT LOG NOW DEFAULTS TO MOST RECENT FIRST! laugh

dwig #759693 25/02/21 10:30 PM
ah, thanks, that might explain why Im at 42 MB/s on a 1Gb Internet connection
laugh mad

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
veteran
veteran
I didn't play a lot but I'm very positive about this patch.
I won't talk about the other issues (highground, backstab, food during combats, scrolls for everyone...), there are many threads about it.

Anyway...

- The user interface is really better and I guess it should tone down the "DoS3 arguments".
- I really enjoy the new character sheet but it still missing informations such as proficiencies.
- Cinematics looks better a new dialogs are cool. I already see many things I didn't saw in my early playtrhough (maybe because I had better rolls ? Idk)
- I'm a bit confuse with the druid spell... Don't remember the name... The spell that create fire you can throw to deal 1D8. It's very strange to have a blue flame that becomes Orange when you throw it. Not sure why it's blue at the beginning.
- The inventory weight seems okay now, but inventory management is really tedious. You should really consider an inventory for the party if you don't intend to really create individual inventories (everyone can pick in everyone's inventory at each time - at the moment i's a party inventory with a tedious weight management).
- The dying mindflayer at the crashsite is still "dying" with 3HP after 3 days
- The "form a line" in the cinematic at the grove is really really inconsistent. There are 3, there is an archer, the warriors just charge after saying "form a line". This is a detail, but this is non sense
- Entangle doesn't seems to work properly. Ennemies that shouldn't move... can move.
- Flame blade (not sur the EN name, the lvl 2 spell that gives you a fire cemetery) require concentration, but the concentration icon doesn't appear above "hide"
- It's really strange that you fall on the beach at night but it's very sunny when you wake up. I think the animations could looks like your character was inconscious but at the moment it really looks like 1sec happen.

That's not very exhaustive but that's what I remember.
This patch looks great even if it doesn't answer any of my main concern.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/02/21 11:10 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
On rolls in dialogs I had make all of them until I got to the 2 thieflings guarding Laz'eal. I was worried that somehow I had loaded dice on but then I rolled a 1 when I only needed a 3. smile

Scribe #759717 25/02/21 11:52 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Scribe
• Higher ground still gives avantage for attacker and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.

frown

Thanks for the update.

Agreed. By including them in the tutorial, it’s Larian’s way of telling everyone that part of combat is not going away. I think at this point all we can offer is a compromise.

Very unfortunate news.

dwig #759735 26/02/21 12:25 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Good God! The patch is almost as big as the entire game lol.

dwig #759740 26/02/21 12:37 AM
63%... averaging 1.8mb/second... Trying to stay patient.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

frown

Thanks for the update.

Agreed. By including them in the tutorial, it’s Larian’s way of telling everyone that part of combat is not going away. I think at this point all we can offer is a compromise.

Very unfortunate news.

I'm not sure about the Wizard/Cleric scroll part, but the rest we can deal with on our own.

Scribe #759753 26/02/21 01:04 AM
L
addict
addict
L

frown

Thanks for the update.

Very unfortunate news.

I'm not sure about the Wizard/Cleric scroll part, but the rest we can deal with on our own.

I’m genuinely happy you’re up for this, Scribe… but this is still utterly disappointing for me. I have a group of friends who can only play this on console, and I really want to play co-op with them when it’s eventually released there – hence wanting the game to be as good as it can be without resorting to mods.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon

On Steam? I was at 30mb throughout. Quite surprised actually.

Scribe #759763 26/02/21 01:18 AM
GoG... I'm up to 77% now though, so it won't be much longer.

veteran
veteran
Druid looks nice, I just played through the Nautiloid to the Beach. Lip sync was a little better, though Lae'zel is still zipper lip'd during the flip the switch dialogue. Cinematics looks a little cleaner, still some chop but smoother than before, and the crash looks better at night. Double shadowheart at the door is gone, but she still had the zipper lip for line there.

What changed about the UI? I can't tell any major differences from patch 3.

Hotbar still unlocking automatically after reload, just noticed after first save out. I don't note the cursor delay for the hotbar as much, though its still same bar for everything (no separate spellbar yet) but inventory cursor delay still going on.

Camera control feels basically the same, Z axis still locked.

I have kind of given up on trying to enjoy the ISO cam, and just play it in driving view max zoom-in as much as possible.

Least we have something to play around with now though

[*]So after Us was dead, there was another Cinematics that pooped up where Us told us to go to the helm, seems like that would be a bug.
I'm not sure, but I think that may be the sequence that has always been there. If you kill 'Us' and then go up to the upper level (just before you cut through the membrane and enter to where Shadowheart's pod is), there is a second Intellect Devourer that will approach you and tell you to go to the helm.

Last edited by The_BlauerDragon; 26/02/21 01:40 AM. Reason: Typo
dwig #759777 26/02/21 01:55 AM
addict
addict
Steam says my download will be done in about three days. You're all lucky as Heck you live in an area with good internet!

Scribe #759782 26/02/21 02:07 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by The_BlauerDragon

On Steam? I was at 30mb throughout. Quite surprised actually.

That is one thing I will give steam, they have phat pipes for downloading. A lot faster than GOG. I will still for the most part stick with GOG for the DRM free, and I just really hate Steam and their censoring and bs nowadays. Not even mentioning their return policy.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I’m genuinely happy you’re up for this, Scribe… but this is still utterly disappointing for me. I have a group of friends who can only play this on console, and I really want to play co-op with them when it’s eventually released there – hence wanting the game to be as good as it can be without resorting to mods.

I feel you on that, I'm just hoping we dont lose access to any of the code.

veteran
veteran
Well I gave it another hour, and somewhat less impressed with the lip sync now lol. I'm certain its been cleaned up a bit, but so far Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarion all delivered a line without moving their lips in each of their intro dialogs. Aradin as well during the Gate interlude. These are more notable, because they happen so early on and its material we've played through several times.

I didn't notice anything new in the Nautiloid content, where are those video tutorials?

At Char creation the second male voice set seems like it might have gotten a bit of a rework? No complaints.

Not sure how it will work with future patch ins, since they're supposed to be smaller/more frequent right? but it would be nice for the clean up if they really weighted it towards the earlier content. Like everything on the Nautiloid, then the Beach, then the Grove at least, cause I feel like that should be totally dialed by now with lips. But I will keep an eye out. The movement and UI controls feel largely the same to me, I'm curious what changed with the interface?

Last edited by Black_Elk; 26/02/21 02:44 AM.
dwig #759795 26/02/21 03:05 AM
GoG Galaxy froze up at 92%, I killed it and reopened it (usually works when it freezes) and it restarted the download from scratch, got to 3% and froze again... Can someone tell me what patch version # this is so that I can go to GoG.com and make sure it is there for me to manually download? I'm showing they have version 4.1.90.6165 as the latest, but I don't think that is correct.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I read the patch notes and there was no clear indication that they fixed the elusiveness of companion scenes during camp (e.g. Weave scene from Gale, Astarion star scenes, etc); In past iterations of the game, many players reported not being able to properly trigger/having difficulty in triggering companion specific scenes when calling it a night at camp; A lot of save scumming, camp spamming, and excessive experimentation was required from players in past patches as the game seems to only trigger companion scenes under very particular instances which made the chunk of the side story miss-able. It was also possible to finish early access by only using camp a couple of times, so this was reported by a number of players as they were missing a lot of story beats that would have made their playthroughs richer in quality.

I know the patch was only out a couple of hours ago, but would the speed runners among us care to share their experience on this past issue and advise whether this was addressed by Larian in patch 4? I believe they also removed the Tiefling camp party romance scenes during a hotfix last year; Was it already added back with better cinematics?

Im trying to avoid getting burnt out by the game during EA so I ideally would want to make a new PT only when this problem is addressed by Larian.

#759801 26/02/21 03:41 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
I read the patch notes and there was no clear indication that they fixed the elusiveness of companion scenes during camp (e.g. Weave scene from Gale, Astarion star scenes, etc); In past iterations of the game, many players reported not being able to properly trigger/having difficulty in triggering companion specific scenes when calling it a night at camp; A lot of save scumming, camp spamming, and excessive experimentation was required from players in past patches as the game seems to only trigger companion scenes under very particular instances which made the chunk of the side story miss-able. It was also possible to finish early access by only using camp a couple of times, so this was reported by a number of players as they were missing a lot of story beats that would have made their playthroughs richer in quality.

I know the patch was only out a couple of hours ago, but would the speed runners among us care to share their experience on this past issue and advise whether this was addressed by Larian in patch 4? I believe they also removed the Tiefling camp party romance scenes during a hotfix last year; Was it already added back with better cinematics?

Im trying to avoid getting burnt out by the game during EA so I ideally would want to make a new PT only when this problem is addressed by Larian.

dwig #759810 26/02/21 04:02 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm at 8 - 10 MBS with steam and i have pretty terrible internet

Last edited by Boblawblah; 26/02/21 04:03 AM.
#759820 26/02/21 05:15 AM
addict
addict
I started playing through patch 4 today to document dice rolls to see what weighted dice distribution looks like.

However, I noticed I was having more fun in combat. Things felt more free, more fluid. I noticed something different with high ground on the stairs of the deck of the nautiloid. So I chose to test out what I was seeing, once I got to a location with more verticality.

Here are the findings grin

For a baseline of understanding. Here is how backstab appears and is documented in game.
Backstab UI
Backstab in the Combat Log

Notice that Advantage is clearly displayed with the roll.

Now notice the UI when shooting an arrow from low ground
Smallest of Low Ground
Now look at the attack roll in the combat log grin Disadvantage was not applied.
The Combat Log

Comparing this to higher verticality for a sanity check. Higher verticality is working as expected.
Low Ground UI
Result in the Combat Log

It's really cool, it looks like the issue with the smallest inflection of low ground causing disadvantage has been not part of the game's long term design. There is the start to a fix in Patch 4, but the UI isn't ready yet. I'm ecstatic, I'm now looking forward to future combat. So I chose to do even more testing to see if the change is consistent.

Where disadvantage is applied
Verticality Test 1

Where the player gets a normal attack roll
Verticality Test 2

I then went on to test if some changes to the UI were already in the game
Testing with right-clicking off the spell to reset the UI

Note where I am standing for this attack preview, and compare to Verticality Test 2
EDIT: Forgot to add this to the original post
The attack in Verticality Test 2 is performed at a lower area from where I am standing.

this last section that came up in the testing is an indication, that high ground was always intended to have a verticality threshold to apply Disadvantage/Advantage.

I'm now keeping an open mind as I play through patch 4. Combat has been more enjoyable and fluid without being forced to avoid disadvantage on ranged attacks every battle. I'm going to use patch 4 to reset my opinion on how I feel about High/Low Ground Advantage/Disadvantage in Baldur's Gate 3.

This change may seem small, but is has made a good change to combat. This is a step in the right direction and I hope the UI will be patched soon to reflect these changes!

Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Edit: I've chosen to do a thorough review of distributions for rolls shown in the UI as Low Ground, but get rolled at normal. And rolls shown as normal that the combat log rolls as high ground.

Here is the data for "UI lowground & Combat Log Normal":
I used the bugbear assassin and scorching ray to test.
UI for Scorching Ray, Gale's position relative to bugbear
Scorching Ray 1
Scorching Ray 2
Scorching Ray 3

I did use different sections of the bugbear, stomach, head, shoulders, etc. The UI and Combat Log were consistent in what they showed.
Here is the data after 156 scorching rays on the bugbear
Average: 7.8
Standard Deviation: 2.5
All frequencies were within two standard deviations.

The important takeaway is the shape of the histogram, it doesn't match what we would expect for disadvantage, it is a lot closer to what we would expect with normal attacks.

The surprises are how low 6, 7, 15, and 18 are but it would also make sense to weight the dice against four outcomes, to increase the change of 10 and 11. (Their frequencies were still within a normal distribution.)
Here is the review of attack rolls where "UI doesn't not show High Ground or any advantage, but the combat log has awarded advantage on the attack roll".
The frequency is in line with what we would expect to see with attacks rolled with advantage.
(This was done at the save file back at the Dank Crypt, N=42)

The combat log is showing what is actually happening in game.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 28/02/21 12:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
I can't confirm for certain, but I don't suspect it has been, otherwise they would surely have mentioned it as something notably more important than telling us in three separate places that they fixed how a goblin pees.

old hand
old hand
This is actually pretty major. But I can see why the devs didn't mention any of this in the patch notes, because attempting to describe this at all would have been confusing as hell. If I'm reading this post right, your last picture is showing that the attack would be at disadvantage from where you're standing in said picture, but the attack was performed at a slightly lower angle in the 'Verticality Test 2' picture, and the actual attack roll from there didn't have disadvantage like the other picture said it was supposed to have?

I hope there is something Larian can implement in the UI to show the player where they can consider moving with their remaining movement points in order to remove disadvantage/gain advantage with ranged attacks. If this is here to stay, we're going to need to be informed better than to risk using our remaining movement points moving to an area that only looks like it might be beneficial to the naked eye, only to find out that it really isn't.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/02/21 07:06 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
This is actually pretty major. But I can see why the devs didn't mention any of this in the patch notes, because attempting to describe this at all would have been confusing as hell.
It was a challenge writing the original post, it really needed screen captures to make any sense.

If I'm reading this post right, your last picture is showing that the attack would be at disadvantage from where you're standing in said picture, but the attack was performed at a slightly lower angle in the 'Verticality Test 2' picture, and the actual attack roll from there didn't have disadvantage like the other picture said it was supposed to have?

Yes, all across the staircase attacks were rolled at normal not disadvantage. Verticality test 1 is where the game is rolling the attack at disadvantage.

The attack rolls are consistent across testing. What is inconsistent is the UI, the UI has a tendency to show what we experienced in patch 3 but sometimes it will correctly show that disadvantage will not be applied on the attack roll.

I hope there is something Larian can implement in the UI to show the player where they can consider moving with their remaining movement points in order to remove disadvantage/gain advantage with ranged attacks. If this is here to stay, we're going to need to be informed better than risk using our remaining movement points moving to an area that only looks like it might be beneficial to the naked eye, only to find out that it really isn't.

Agreed, it took a bit of testing to find out what verticality it will and won't apply. The staircases were nicely sized to use for testing, I'm wondering how this will work in the Underdark at the moment. Hopefully this is consistent through the rest of patch 4.

old hand
old hand
Maybe you could amend this section of the original post like so, to get the point across in a less confusing manner?

I had to review the pictures like 3 times each before I finally understood that what you are saying is that the UI is now showing us inaccurate indications for exactly where the threshold for attacks to gain advantage/disadvantage are. The thresholds may have actually changed in Patch 4 to require a much larger difference in high/low ground in order to gain advantage/disadvantage, but the UI is operating under Patch 3 standards when calculating advantage/disadvantage and chance to hit.

Where disadvantage is applied
Verticality Test 1

Where the player gets a normal attack roll
Verticality Test 2

Note where I am standing for this attack preview, and compare to Verticality Test 2
The attack in Verticality Test 2 is performed at a lower area from where I am standing.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/02/21 06:57 AM.
addict
addict
I've edited the post, thank you for the suggestion.

#759861 26/02/21 08:01 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
First impression after trying out , I like the work they did on the viusal, it's really clearer and more beautiful. I did not expect too much because I'm not that sold on druid , I started a new game with two custom chars , a druid and a warlock meant to be 'evilk' and so far simply from the look and feel . I got hooked again.

dwig #759863 26/02/21 08:13 AM
All this time later, I have managed to find a decent work around that has gotten me working (in Vulkan only)... and I now have a question. Has anyone figured out how/where to use the Pod Key?

old hand
old hand
Well, I'm going to post an inquiry on Reddit, because this is something interesting enough to investigate for multiple reasons. See if I can get some more useful examples from there, even if there are maybe only a handful of people there today who would actually be any interested in this kind of stuff. I will be doing some testing in the tutorial myself using an archer.

I especially want to figure out if the same applies to the advantage half of this, which I think the tutorial might provide a few good places to test this. It would be really bad if the UI was showing people having advantage in the attack preview but the actual attack is being rolled normally, and it'd be interesting to see if the AI is subject to making the same mistake themselves. (As in, will they know the correct height to get advantage, or will the AI get fooled into simply thinking they are?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lst8ca/there_appears_to_be_an_undocumented_change_to/

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/02/21 09:59 AM.
old hand
old hand
Okay, I can tell you SOMETHING is happening. And I don't understand WHAT. My mind hurts trying to make sense of this at all.

Test 1:

- UI preview shows this as a normal roll.
- Slightly moving the mouse downwards on the enemy model, with my character standing in the SAME SPOT, suddenly previews as an advantage roll???

(Fun fact: The same principle that I imply above could actually be used to great effect in DOS2. If you tried to aim at an enemy but the preview showed that your arrow would be blocked by a narrow pillar or something, you could try ‘fishing’ around the enemy model until you find the pixel perfect angle for the game to let you snipe at them. Even if it was a foot barely sticking out.

This principle made it easier for Dwarves to avoid line of sight from enemy archers, while simultaneously making them the worst archers in theory. But only slightly.)

Test 2:

- I moved slightly downwards to a point where the UI tells me I would not have advantage while attacking.
- The actual attack roll tells me I performed the attack at advantage anyway.

So it's hard to draw any conclusions as to what, at all, actually changed. Only that the attack preview can't really be trusted now when it comes to making attacks from height around the thresh holds. I may need to find a different non-hovering target. But that will have to wait until after I come home from work in another half a day.

I am getting very close to declaring this as a mostly UI bug, but it does feel like something did actually change at the same time. In order for us to even conclude that the actual breakpoints actually did change at all, we'd need to find someone still playing in Patch 3 to make a direct comparison with. I would roll back to the previous version myself if I have to, once you find a suitable location that I can easily access.

Well, looks like I'm staying on these forums a bit longer, because chasing down stuff like this is a legitimately interesting change of pace from the usual doomposting arguments. I guess now is as good a time to say this again, and you all know I've never used this phrase in a joking ironic manner.

Programming is hard.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/02/21 09:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Who the hells is Zelkor? O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
If it helps with the investigation (I've got other things I'm focused on right now, and also struggling with... eh... let's call it motivation):

In D:OS2, where you targeted on the enemy made a very important difference, since it measured how far away things were, and line of sight, based on your exact cursor point. Especially for skills that took their damage modifier off how far away your target was - you would often get substantially more damage if you could wrangle your camera/cursor to target the furthest away pixel on your enemy, and often whether you could hit something or not was a fight-the-ui game of seeing IF there was a pixel on the enemy that it would give you a clear line for.

If they have lifted the majority of their code base from that (they have), then it's very likely that it's measuring distance based on your exact cursor position on the model, so in the case where you and your target are close to the right distance/elevation apart, it will change based on where you aim.

Last edited by Niara; 26/02/21 09:29 AM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah I’m beginning to suspect that the break points did not actually change.

It seems far more likely the UI hasn’t been entirely honest to us this entire time, maybe even since launch, and it took all the way until today for someone specifically testing the break points to notice.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Who the hells is Zelkor? O_o
I guess, they mean Zevlor?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lssfm5/so_a_goblin_shoved_my_flaming_sphere_into_the/

... I am not gonna lie, this is actually pretty hilarious.

It feels like Larian turned on the shove button for everything, specifically to get feedback on it. Going to be interesting to see how the wider community reacts to this.

addict
addict
Yeah - you can see the improvements each patch - coming along nicely

veteran
veteran
At this point saying I'm getting discouraged about this game is putting it mildly. This patch seems like a fucking bummer from top to end.
I almost feel ashamed about the fact that I defended Larian when this was announced saying that I trusted them to have the talent to make a great Baldur's Gate sequel... Then again, it's not the talent that's missing here, it's the intent.

Frankly I'm sticking around just to chitchat sparsely about the game and share pointless opinions with other users, because I'm fairly resigned to the idea that nothing the community is being vocal about will matter in the slightest.
Hell, if anything Larian seems to be fond (possibly even PROUD) of all the "junk" they are injecting into the system and how it's effecting the flow of the combat.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RACKET75

I got the "stars" scene with Astarion very easily, but I couldn't get the scene with Raphael. Maybe because it was a speedrun.

I also checked Astarion romance scene, the bug was fixed, but I see that half of the scene was cut again and maybe it is changed or improved, I do not know.
Larian was told that they "improved" the light, but now for some reason everything is too bright...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Niara #759894 26/02/21 10:54 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara
If it helps with the investigation (I've got other things I'm focused on right now, and also struggling with... eh... let's call it motivation):

In D:OS2, where you targeted on the enemy made a very important difference, since it measured how far away things were, and line of sight, based on your exact cursor point. Especially for skills that took their damage modifier off how far away your target was - you would often get substantially more damage if you could wrangle your camera/cursor to target the furthest away pixel on your enemy, and often whether you could hit something or not was a fight-the-ui game of seeing IF there was a pixel on the enemy that it would give you a clear line for.

If they have lifted the majority of their code base from that (they have), then it's very likely that it's measuring distance based on your exact cursor position on the model, so in the case where you and your target are close to the right distance/elevation apart, it will change based on where you aim.

Aaah eurojank

Optimistically Apocalyptic
#759981 26/02/21 03:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I know patch 4 released Druids but I was hoping that they would have added some of missing subclasses / features / spells from the Player's Handbook along with the Druid.

Cleric: Knowledge, Nature, Tempest, War Domains
Fighter: Battle Master: Many Maneuver, Champion
Rogue: Assassin
Warlock: Patron: Archfey Pact: Blade, Tome
Wizard: Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation
Too many spells to list but some really core ones like Spiritual Weapon

There are other features like Rogue expertise, etc too.

so we have a bit more stuff to test.

I am a bit worried that other stuff not being added / finished.

If what we have is all we are getting for the included classes, it's a really poor version of D&D 5e.

addict
addict
Is anyone still playing on Patch 3 to test?

I remember documenting dice rolls for this thread. Ratio of Dice Rolls
The result was consistent with the UI then.
(I was focused on getting as many normal rolls as possible for the data set).

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 26/02/21 04:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
So about Entangle -- it seems to last for only one turn, but the counter counts down at the start of the entangled character's next turn, meaning they're immediately untangled and the spell effectively does nothing.

It's a wasted spell slot to cast this on an area enemies are already inside. To be effective, you need to cast it on an area the enemy will pass through, as they then lose their turn of they fail the check.

Just for comparison, these are the differences from Entangle in the book:
1. 5e raw lasts up to 1 minute, is concentration. Actually Ijust realised I don't remember how long the effect lasts in-game because I deliberately set it on fire to burninate the intellect devourer held within it, I have to check. edit: Is concentrations, seems to be a minute-ish
2. 5e raw makes the effect area troubly walky, but only ensnares characters inside it when it is cast -- BG3 version also ensnares characters who enter into it. edit-addenda: BG3 version also can reensnare somebody who walks for too long inside the area.
3. 5e entanglement last until the character passes a strength check (costs an action to try) while in BG3 it lasts until the start of the entangled character's next turn.

So basically, presuming the duration issue is not intended, the BG3 version basically trades possible duration of the restraint for the possibility to entangle more creatures.

I think the duration issue may be because it might be coded as to just create a "thorny wine" (you know like we already had in-game prior to this patch, I can't remember the exact name of it) surface effect, and the existing thorny wine effect presumes that a character runs inside it it on their own turn rather than the effect being called on them on another character's turn.

Last edited by Dexai; 26/02/21 06:10 PM. Reason: checked as said, also more information

The workaround did not work (well, it did... but it didn't. Hard to explain), so I uninstalled GoG Galaxy and deleted the entire game... oddly, it would not allow me to delete the BG3x11 exe file no matter how hard I tried or what permissions I gave... so I have now reinstalled GoG Galaxy and am reinstalling BG3 in an entirely new location. Not sure if the wonkiness I have encountered had anything to do with it, but when I was trying the workaround last night and I played with the druid abilities the little popup windows (for selecting wildshape and one of the other abilities) would not go away once opened... no matter what I did. I tried going from area to area, triggering cut scenes, even long rest... they just stayed there. Anyway, when I'm finally done redownloading and reinstalling, I'll try again and post in one of the actual bug threads if it still keeps happening.

Last edited by The_BlauerDragon; 26/02/21 05:09 PM.
Scribe #760118 26/02/21 07:07 PM
E
addict
addict
E

This is depressing. No communication with the community on why, just a video tutorial reaffirming their stance.

Tuco #760126 26/02/21 07:23 PM
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Tuco
At this point saying I'm getting discouraged about this game is putting it mildly. This patch seems like a fucking bummer from top to end.
I almost feel ashamed about the fact that I defended Larian when this was announced saying that I trusted them to have the talent to make a great Baldur's Gate sequel... Then again, it's not the talent that's missing here, it's the intent.

Frankly I'm sticking around just to chitchat sparsely about the game and share pointless opinions with other users, because I'm fairly resigned to the idea that nothing the community is being vocal about will matter in the slightest.
Hell, if anything Larian seems to be fond (possibly even PROUD) of all the "junk" they are injecting into the system and how it's effecting the flow of the combat.

You and I butted heads so many times before the end of 2020. I am actually sad that resignation has set in (for both of us).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan

This is depressing. No communication with the community on why, just a video tutorial reaffirming their stance.
These are all the worst aspects of BG3 so far.

If they think giving Wizards access to all spells is good and fun they have no clue how a class based system needs to work. Wizards are my favourite class and I certainly don't want them overpowered in this cheesy way. And if I play a Cleric/Warlock/Druid, I don't want Wizards to take away my unique class perks.

And since Backstab and High ground are so easy to pull off and game changing powerful, they are actually making tactical combat worse, not better. Something that you always do is not a tactic, Larian.

The food healing in combat is just utterly stupid as a concept, even. And again, makes healing classes worse.

S
addict
addict
S
What’s the point of Goodberry? Four 1d4 heals? Why waste a spell slot when you can find food that does the same thing?

old hand
old hand
What’s the point of Goodberry? Four 1d4 heals? Why waste a spell slot when you can find food that does the same thing?
It'll be a good spell if they add survival mechanics or if they remove the ability to consume normal food in combat.
Though only 4 seems smaller than I remember it supposed to be able to do?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
It'll be a good spell if they add survival mechanics or if they remove the ability to consume normal food in combat.
Though only 4 seems smaller than I remember it supposed to be able to do?

5e rules you get 10 and each heal one point. The biggest feature is it feeds you for the whole day.

Now there are some exploits with one level of life cleric dip but we won’t go there.

Larian Goodberries should heal 1d4 and remove some negative effect like poisoned.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'll add my own observations after a few hours of the new patch (7 of my 108 hours), whilst trying not to repeat the OPs observations. As off writing I hadn't competed an Act 1 playthrough - I had to quit after Gale glitched outside the Temple during combat, preventing me from ending his turn and continuing - last bloody Gob to kill as well frown . Plus repeated attempts at the fight with the Woad things and Mud Mephits took up a lot of time(RNG still hates me).

Druid

So far I'm enjoying it, but I haven't played real D&D since 3.5, so no idea if it is true to the current rules. Not sure I like the idea of Shapeshifting with only 1 HP left, soaking up more damage then shifting back before going down - seems a bit of an exploit for me, but I'm sure some will make full use of it.

The new interactions with Nettie were welcome as after a couple of playthroughs I stopped bothering with her.

I got the Faithwarden reward without having to save scum the rolls, which was nice. Also, it's a faster route to the gauntlets from Zevlor than getting Halsin back.

Graphics
The climbing graphic looks a bit weird to me.

I had odd graphic glitches and weird lines displaying, but I'm using the DX-11 settings and my rig is around 5 years old.

Random Stuff
Can't pick the lock to Khaga's chest. Stealing the key won't let me open it either. Still got the quest resolved by fighting the Woad things and finding the letter.

Locks in the Blighted Village (particularly the Smithy) are no longer pickable. The key is easy to get though.

I think we really need an obvious button to cancel Concentration spells. I finished the swamp Woad thing fight (third attempt) with my PC dead inside a cloud created by Gale with around 3K turn before it dissipated. I couldn't rez her, my companions wouldn't jump away (it was on the bit between their island and the little one with the container), I couldn't go to camp and use the Lich/Undead fella either (wouldn't let me). Fortunately I could do the replenish spell with Gale and recast the cloud thing elsewhere and access Tav (I gave up renaming them). I had a similar issue earlier trying to get through my own Vines casting without taking damage. If there is an existing way to cancel a Concentration area spell, please make it more obvious to senile old farts like me.

I got caught out in the dungeon where you rescue the downed gnome druid. I usually enter through the external door after getting fed up with the protracted destruction of the guardian statue. Now the statue at that end shoots you as well. So after reloading and going in the old way via the prison and shooting the statue, killing the Gobs, I sent Astarion on his own over to get the key, as I have done for the past 5 or 6 play throughs. He died before I could jump back when the the new statues on the opposite wall all shot the crap out of him. The Gnome can bugger off.

I now go round the side of the Blighted Village and start the combat on my own terms. I noticed the sleeping Bug Bear now has 27 HP not 8 and I didn't one hit it with my Druid. Also during the subsequent fight when I was on top of the smithy my companions wouldn't move to a position to shoot the Gob inside the Smithy like they used to - they simply tried to shoot through the roof. My neighbour now thinks I'm an angry psycho.

I've still got a lot to play through for this Druid, but I'm a bottle of Yellow Tail Merlot down, so It might not go well.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
There's something very bugged with the preview.

I blinded Karlach to get advantage. We are on even ground.

If I aim at her body: 96% chance to hit
if I aim at her head: 80% chance to hit from the low ground, she must be a very tall woman!

Final outcome was correct: Advantage attack even though I aimed at her head.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/n5eMkyK

addict
addict
That's good Saberem, thank you for confirming what I'm seeing with low ground prompts.

I haven't had the chance to test advantage similar to how Saito did (I've only focused on Low Ground). Hopefully I'll have time tonight to test more and keep documenting dice rolls.

Niara #760294 27/02/21 12:08 AM
addict
addict

I can buy into the idea code was brought over from D:OS2 for the UI. (Or it's the same programmer).

#760300 27/02/21 12:27 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I downloaded Patch 4 yesterday and played BG3 successfully. Today as I try and login it says it is updating (looks to be another huge file). Is there another Patch or is this some sort of mistake/bug?

old hand
old hand

#760354 27/02/21 03:47 AM
journeyman
journeyman
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

This is only my first run through post-patch 4 and I'm nowhere near done, but so far I have a few observations and requests.

Observations:
1. The Illithid dreams look fantastic now.
2. The Raindancer staff (from Aaron in the Grove) only allowed Gale to cast rain once, then it vanished from his spell list. Unequipping/reequipping didn't correct it.
3. I'm a little worried that Gale's approval is still borked. I'm pretty much at max approval but no Weave scene. In fact, it skipped the Go to Hell scene and went straight to the Mirror scene.
4. HOLY MOLY the Gith fight got a LOT harder.
5. Healing Pandirna in the storage building now no longer does anything. Is that on purpose?
6. Wow, all the new traps in the underground passage to the Grove... I could barely move after a certain point without getting absolutely hammered, but the goblins got in unscathed somehow. Is this a hazing? Because it feels like a hazing.
7. Thank you for fixing the pass phrase option when getting into the Zhent hideout!

Requests:
1. We can pick up so much stuff and add it to camp, but not chairs. I'd like to add some of the chairs I find to my camp. I mean, sitting in the mud is so undignified.
2. speaking of things for camp, how hard would it be to make clutter items (dishes, books, etc.) stackable? Because that would be cool.
3. Could there be some more faces to choose from? Please?

That's it for now. Having a blast so far. Thanks for making it great and letting us speak up as you go.

Artist, Writer, Poet, Crank
Art, poetry, and prose of a grim and unserious nature.
https://www.lrjonte.com/
Dexai #760355 27/02/21 04:19 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Cheers. Sorted now.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Smallest of Low Ground
Now look at the attack roll in the combat log grin Disadvantage was not applied.
The Combat Log

If you don't have percentage to-hits that are even multiples of 5, you have Advantage or Disadvantage. Those images clearly show that you are at disadvantage from low ground (56% isn't an even multiple of 5) and the combat log is what is messed up (it isn't showing the disadvantage).

old hand
old hand
So someone at Reddit posted this interesting comment in regards to my inquiry.

I think it might be the way the preview works.

The preview probably compares the position of your character to the position of your cursor. The actual attack likely uses the position of your character and the anchor point of your target.

This likely isn't the full story, but it might be part of it, judging from how I was getting advantage/normal roll previews based on nothing but moving my cursor around the enemy model. It made me think back to that one specific bug that Larian kept emphasizing in the patch notes. Three times to be exact. That whole thing about the one NPC peeing higher than should be anatomically possible from a visual perspective.

What if a different but similar version of that is at play here? As in, perhaps the previews are accurate, the real issue might be that the game could be reading our positions incorrectly upon launching an attack (as in, calculating our characters to be slightly higher in elevation than we actually are)? It would explain myself being able to get advantage rolls when the preview says I shouldn't, and it would also explain disadvantage previews resulting in a normal attack roll at the same time. A widening of the break points should mean that it would be harder to get a low ground disadvantage penalty AND a high ground advantage bonus at the same time. But I have not observed advantage previews turning into normal rolls throughout any of my tests, only the exact opposite.

Of course, that also brings up the question, why does this possible bug favor only us? To which I would answer that it's not really just us. The calculations probably only adjust the attacker upwards, not the defender, and we don't get that much visual data about how the enemy AI calculates high ground/low ground.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 27/02/21 05:02 AM.
addict
addict
So someone at Reddit posted this interesting comment in regards to my inquiry.

I think it might be the way the preview works.

The preview probably compares the position of your character to the position of your cursor. The actual attack likely uses the position of your character and the anchor point of your target.

This likely isn't the full story, but it might be part of it, judging from how I was getting advantage/normal roll previews based on nothing but moving my cursor around the enemy model. It made me think back to that one specific bug that Larian kept emphasizing in the patch notes. Three times to be exact. That whole thing about the one NPC peeing higher than should be anatomically possible from a visual perspective.

What if a different but similar version of that is at play here? As in, perhaps the previews are accurate, the real issue might be that the game could be reading our positions incorrectly upon launching an attack (as in, calculating our characters to be slightly higher in elevation than we actually are)? It would explain myself being able to get advantage rolls when the preview says I shouldn't, and it would also explain disadvantage previews resulting in a normal attack roll at the same time. A widening of the break points should mean that it would be harder to get a low ground disadvantage penalty AND a high ground advantage bonus at the same time. But I have not observed advantage previews turning into normal rolls throughout any of my tests, only the exact opposite.

Of course, that also brings up the question, why does this possible bug favor only us? To which I would answer that it's not really just us. The calculations probably only adjust the attacker upwards, not the defender, and we don't get that much visual data about how the enemy AI calculates high ground/low ground.
I'd say the UI is definitely bugged. I've got some high ground tests to supplement that. I'm still leaning towards the logic to granting advantage/disadvantage has been changed. It may technically be bugged right now too, but combat has been a lot more fun not having advantage and disadvantage be everywhere xD
I think the logic for the UI was also changed from patch 3. I'm not yet ready to go back to patch 3 to full test it out as combat was a slog, lol.

The crypt seemed like a smart choice to test out high ground, since the fight started the player with high ground advantage in Patch 3.
Here we can clearly see high ground advantage is not being given to Gale.
Gale in the Crypt
Now we can see the result matches the UI, something in the logic/code has changed.
The following combat log

I chose to confirm this with Astarion, since he has dark vision.
Astarion's prediction in the UI
The result in the combat log
We see an expected outcome from the change.

Now check out what happens when Tav targets an enemy a greater distance away.
UI says it will be a normal attack
The game rolled the dice with advantage
It seems like there is a minimum distance check now for high ground advantage, and the UI is struggling to keep up with the change.

Here is Tav attacking a closer enemy from the same spot/elevation.
The UI
The Combat Log

Again, the attack rolls are consistent with positioning and the success rate has been what we would expect from Advantage/Normal/Disadvantage. The UI is a bit of a mess explaining what roll you will get.

Originally Posted by RBarbare
Smallest of Low Ground
The Combat Log

If you don't have percentage to-hits that are even multiples of 5, you have Advantage or Disadvantage. Those images clearly show that you are at disadvantage from low ground (56% isn't an even multiple of 5) and the combat log is what is messed up (it isn't showing the disadvantage).
What is really interesting is that with repeated tests, the outcome is what a player would expect if it was a normal attack roll. The combat log seems to be showing what was actually rolled by the game. It's definitely different from Patch 3 and combat has been more fun because of it.

Overall it seems like there are more checks in the game over whether advantage or disadvantage should be applied.

old hand
old hand
Hmm, I'd take your word for it then, as you've clearly been testing the limits of this system far longer than anyone else in these forums have, ha.

I'm curious to see if anything comes of this in the next patch.

addict
addict
Edit: I've chosen to do a thorough review of distributions for rolls shown in the UI as Low Ground, but get rolled at normal. And rolls shown as normal that the combat log rolls as high ground.

Here is the data for "UI lowground & Combat Log Normal":
I used the bugbear assassin and scorching ray to test.
UI for Scorching Ray, Gale's position relative to bugbear
Scorching Ray 1
Scorching Ray 2
Scorching Ray 3

I did use different sections of the bugbear, stomach, head, shoulders, etc. The UI and Combat Log were consistent in what they showed.
Here is the data after 156 scorching rays on the bugbear
Average: 7.8
Standard Deviation: 2.5
All frequencies were within two standard deviations.

The important takeaway is the shape of the histogram, it doesn't match what we would expect for disadvantage, it is a lot closer to what we would expect with normal attacks.

The surprises are how low 6, 7, 15, and 18 are but it would also make sense to weight the dice against four outcomes, to increase the change of 10 and 11. (Their frequencies were still within a normal distribution.)
Here is the review of attack rolls where "UI doesn't not show High Ground or any advantage, but the combat log has awarded advantage on the attack roll".
The frequency is in line with what we would expect to see with attacks rolled with advantage.
(This was done at the save file back at the Dank Crypt, N=42)

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 01/03/21 05:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ArcanaJayne
5. Healing Pandirna in the storage building now no longer does anything. Is that on purpose?
Worked for me, so i presume it was bug.

veteran
veteran
All sorts of four legged animals climbing ladders looks like a silly cartoon.

It's silly stuff like this that makes the game feel like a funny platform game rather than a credible RPG with a believable world.

I'm not saying an RPG needs to be all serious and realistic, but Larian have a bit too much of this silly nonsense in their DNA or they can't control it. The eating pigs heads in combat for a massive heal kind of stuff. Huge bears climbing ladders.

There are ways to be funny in the context of a realistic or even dark setting without breaking setting with silly cartoony stuff. Speaking of ladders..

Last edited by 1varangian; 27/02/21 09:38 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah it does look a bit dumb, but remember druids don’t lose their intelligence when they wild shape. They could navigate a ladder in beast form, albeit in most cases it would be slower than when a humanoid. Of course, some ladders are not going to take the weight of a polar bear!

On another note, since I haven’t had time to get into patch 4 yet... are we still able to change our prepared spells at any time that suits us? Or is it locked to long rests now like it should be?

veteran
veteran
are we still able to change our prepared spells at any time that suits us? Or is it locked to long rests now like it should be?
We are.

#760578 27/02/21 04:10 PM
First off, hello all, been a while. Glad to be back after a long break from EA, but I came back to play the new patch so here is what I've experienced so far.

Like to list off for one, Thank you, Larian! for listening to the group of us that said drow should have Keen Senses like all the other elf people. Equality for all elves! grin

I feel listened to, but I know I was not the only one asking for this to be added. Again thank you for listening!

Now for the druid, I actually am enjoying it some. It is still kind of buggy, but I like where you went with it. If you keep this up I am really going to enjoy all the classes once they are implemented to the game.

I like how more class dialogue and situational advantages for certain classes is now important to the game.

I like how you changed up some scenes, such as with the tiefling thieves ran by Mol and changed it up some story wise.

Really enjoy that the druid has advantages in the scene with talking down Kagha, which I already noted I just wanted to show how much I really do appreciate the effort of listening to the community about adding in more diversity for work arounds and creativity.

Also really enjoying that Speak with the Dead cutscene to add more depth to the game. Now its not quite as boring to talking to dead people. wink

I like the new spells added to the game, the quality of life changes really speed things up and don't bog down game play too much, and liking the over all effort you have put in so far into the game.

There are of course some things that got busted, which are to be expected in EA. Some cutscenes got either busted or lost, like the one with Shadowheart at the gate when you first talk with Zevlor. I'm still kind of at the start of it all, but really the things I found were mainly positive and very few negatives.

I got to say, I am looking forward to playing another wizard play through, but you made me want to play a druid, which I loved the idea of playing a druid and finally got the chance to really get a solid story with one and it not be totally cheesy. Thanks again for that!

I hope the rest of you, the community, enjoying the new changes as much as I am. The game really has come a long way from the start, and while more work I will concede, still needs to be done. If Larian keeps progressing in this direction I think we will all be enjoying the full game greatly!

Last edited by Ghost King; 27/02/21 04:13 PM.
I can confirm that so far as I have played I haven't gotten all the camp scenes as of yet. Didn't get the Gale mirror image scene at the very least. However, after Astarion feeds on you, you do get the scene with the camp the next day as it was intended. So kind of better, but it still needs work.

veteran
veteran
Yeah it does look a bit dumb, but remember druids don’t lose their intelligence when they wild shape. They could navigate a ladder in beast form, albeit in most cases it would be slower than when a humanoid. Of course, some ladders are not going to take the weight of a polar bear!

On another note, since I haven’t had time to get into patch 4 yet... are we still able to change our prepared spells at any time that suits us? Or is it locked to long rests now like it should be?
Dogs in the real world are intelligent enough to climb ladders. But physiologically, just like most animals, they just can't.

old hand
old hand
I haven't gotten to the tiefling party yet, but I've seen elsewhere that the romance scenes have been partially added back. I did notice that a couple of camp scenes didn't trigger when they were supposed to, one for Gale and one for Astarion, even though I've been resting often, so those issues obviously aren't fixed yet.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Dogs in the real world are intelligent enough to climb ladders. But physiologically, just like most animals, they just can't.

If they get it in their mind to do it, or a human teaches them, a dog can climb some kinds of ladders I think? I might have seen one do it when I was very young but I might be remembering wrong. Animals are capable of a lot, my cat was clever enough to open my door and turn on my computer so she could watch my fish screensaver.

P
addict
addict
P
Can anyone tell me if they fixed the Shadowheart cutscene bug? Would really like to see that scene.

stranger
stranger
The Devil's sight invocation is still not interacting properly with magical darkness. The "immunity from blindness" feature doesn't change the fact that darkness still acts as a barrier to ranged attacks for a Warlock with Devil's Sight, so you still cannot shoot through it with eldritch blast or any spell. This is not how the invocation is supposed to interact with the darkness spell or any magical darkness. It should essentially be as if there is nothing there for the warlock. A warlock with Devil's Sight should be able to stand in the center of their darkness and fire off eldritch blasts without having to jump out of the darkness every time they want to attack. I thank Larian Studios for attempting to rectify this problem with the most recent patch, but it needs another update.

journeyman
journeyman
Thanks! I was hoping that might be it.

Artist, Writer, Poet, Crank
Art, poetry, and prose of a grim and unserious nature.
https://www.lrjonte.com/
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
The words he speaks are true, heed him Larian smile

old hand
old hand
Just to confirm what I wrote above, I got to Astarion's romance scene and the first and last bits are there, but the middle is part is under construction again. Gale's also has a very brief "under construction" scene in the middle (I'm not sure what's supposed to go there, it's so quick and the scene otherwise seems more or less complete).

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Can anyone tell me if they fixed the Shadowheart cutscene bug? Would really like to see that scene.

Shadowheart's romance scene is back in.

apprentice
apprentice
I have used 10 lock picks on multiple chests and Astarion fails to open any chets at all (this worked previous to patch 4). Please look into the potential lock picking issue.

Thanks!

apprentice
apprentice
Also, if you attack a chest and break it open, the chest doesnt drop any loot. This has happened on multiple locked chests and was not an issue prior to patch 4.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BadKarma
I have used 10 lock picks on multiple chests and Astarion fails to open any chets at all (this worked previous to patch 4). Please look into the potential lock picking issue.

Thanks!

Thank you! I had the same issue on my first session after Patch 4; closed the game, reloaded, and it was fixed -- although his rate of successful lockpicking is definitely lower than in my previous games.

veteran
veteran
On the other hand, Guidance seem to actualy work incredibly effective ...
So far i locked litteraly every lock at first atempt, when i used it.

#761022 28/02/21 06:16 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
The notes for Patch 4 contain the statement: "Added Cross Play through direct connect with Mac version"

To me "cross play" means players on multiple platforms can play the same game together, so what does this statement mean? Can my friend on Windows direct connect to my Mac and we can play together? Even if the build numbers are different?: 4.1.85.5707 (PC), 4.1.85.6028 (Mac) 

Thanks.

veteran
veteran
I've made a few critical comments about patch 4 but I also wanted to point out some improvements.

1. Books! The new books are good. We get a primmer on the weave, a treatise on soul coins and some more details on the waar between Gith and the mind flayers. Getting closer to the BG experience where you could get learn Forgotten Realms lore from libraries. (but Larian, make the books a bit longer please)

2. Ground triggers for conversations are near quick travel gates. Gives more frequent banters and the banters make more sense. Astarian is now talking about goblins in the goblin camp and not in the underdark.

3. New dialogues. I liked having a theology battle with Khorga. Ahh, but Silvanus also says . . . Nice job, priests of the same religion should try and settle disagreements by making references to their sacred texts.

* Not new but I like that Astarian now tells you details about his relationship with Cazador even if you've not had sex with him.

* Fixed the Koa Toa dialogues. My toon is now a god of the fish people. They've promised to stop spilling blood and only strangle people which was nice.

4. Shadow druid fight was much improved.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Raindancer not working for me at all. I tried giving it to 2 different characters and never get the spell. It used to work before the patch.

#761104 28/02/21 11:46 PM
Wondering if anyone has gotten mods to work with patch 4?

I'm probably just being impatient and either need to wait for modders to update or just being a total salmon when it comes to modding laugh

old hand
old hand
The Bard mod that I had installed during Patch 3 still works without a hitch, surprisingly enough. Although judging from the chatter on the mod page, it sounds like some people trying to install it during patch 4 were having problems. It's been reported that the Paladin mod still works too. I don't know about the status of the rest of the yet to be implemented class mods, but judging from the lack of chatter about them, they either broke or there isn't anywhere near as much interest for those classes for people to check.

Everything else appears to be a crapshoot from what I hear.

EDIT: https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lu5kzk/list_of_mods_that_still_work_with_patch_4/

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/03/21 01:06 AM.
The Bard mod that I had installed during Patch 3 still works without a hitch, surprisingly enough. Although judging from the chatter on the mod page, it sounds like some people trying to install it during patch 4 were having problems. It's been reported that the Paladin mod still works too. I don't know about the status of the rest of the yet to be implemented class mods, but judging from the lack of chatter about them, they either broke or there isn't anywhere near as much interest for those classes for people to check.

Everything else appears to be a crapshoot from what I hear.

EDIT: https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/lu5kzk/list_of_mods_that_still_work_with_patch_4/

Nice thanks for letting me know! smile

I checked the thread out and all looks good havejng trouble with customiser legacy though! D:

S
stranger
stranger
S
Answering my own question. It works!

Direct connect allows MacOS and Windows cross play! Yay!

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, just in general, have you noticed an increase in the difficulty of the fights in Patch 4? Other than using a druid instead of a ranger, I have not changed much, but I'm getting wiped in places where my party used to stroll -- Whispering Depths, Auntie Ethel's lair and the Smart Ogre fights.

I can't even defeat ONE of Auntie's masks with a party of 4 + 3 pets. It's diabolical.

#761158 01/03/21 03:46 AM
stranger
stranger
I’ve noticed two bugs while playing patch 4:

1) in the crypt below the chapel, the book of dead gods is bugged. Any time a character of mine makes a check to open the lock, it resolves the roll but then doesn’t proceed and the character is stuck in limbo.

2) the Druid can’t control moonbeam while wildshaped. There’s no option/ability to move the moonbeam while in wild shape.

Otherwise I’m very much enjoying patch 4, thanks for all of your hard work! smile

addict
addict
Shadow druid fight? - 5th playthrough & im still missing things....I love this game.
Graphics...improving all the time - im only a few hours into the latest patched version - new cutscenes dunno if they are specific to patch 4 or just ones ive still missed from the multitude of branching story lines....

BeeBee #761171 01/03/21 04:55 AM
addict
addict
Smart ogres I haven't noticed much change. Auntie Ethel fight is a tough one anyway but haven't done it in latest patch yet - lord only knows why Sven dragged all the masked NPC's into the end battle with Auntie in his recent youtube clip - that was always gonna end badly....
Wow - that sounds tough - the masked ones scrap can be hard too prior to the patch 4 - i take it you are level 4 party for that fight?

Have you tried the gnolls yet ? thats also a toughie unless you get the pack leader to join you ....

old hand
old hand
I noticed that Halsin and Nettie have much more dialogue and information to share about their tadpole investigations, that was great.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
1. Books! The new books are good. We get a primmer on the weave, a treatise on soul coins and some more details on the waar between Gith and the mind flayers. Getting closer to the BG experience where you could get learn Forgotten Realms lore from libraries. (but Larian, make the books a bit longer please)

2. Ground triggers for conversations are near quick travel gates. Gives more frequent banters and the banters make more sense. Astarian is now talking about goblins in the goblin camp and not in the underdark.

3. New dialogues. I liked having a theology battle with Khorga. Ahh, but Silvanus also says . . . Nice job, priests of the same religion should try and settle disagreements by making references to their sacred texts.

Here's my question...

Why were NONE of these points in the actual patch notes... when they spent note space scrabbling for things to say and talked about fixing goblins peeing three times?

P
addict
addict
P
Has that log in the camp crossing the stream into the ruined cabin always been there?

veteran
veteran
I am happy that I am getting a lot more banter this playthrough. Astarion's banter is pretty funny.

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I noticed that Halsin and Nettie have much more dialogue and information to share about their tadpole investigations, that was great.
Agree!

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Yeah, they've smoothed out the story regarding the Tadpole quite a bit. Halsin now gives you info on your condition and next steps far earlier (which is much better narratively IMO - makes that story beat feel much more natural, and you feel like you're being spun around less).

veteran
veteran
I didn't get Gale's weave scene on my patch 4 playthrough. I have never gotten it in any of my 3 playthroughs. frown

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

This is a pretty huge change too. Nettie's dialogue especially does wonders to resolve the gameplay vs story conflict concerning using long rests while infected with the tadpole. Players now learn as early as their first Grove visit that they aren't in immediate danger and can use the resting system without worrying about losing the game.

There's also just all around a LOT of new dialogue for druids in the Grove. I loved it. Having a debate over the druidic teachings of Silvanus with Kagha to convince her she is wrong was very satisfying. Not to mention that the special druid knowledge checks explain SO MUCH about the Rite of Thorns and points you in the direction of investigating Kagha and the Shadow Druids. I've never been naturally inclined to look into it on previous characters because you're not really told that this is worth further investigation. Makes a lot of sense than you as a druid would be able to tell something is up.

old hand
old hand
1) Water + Shocking Grasp got nerfed, or water + lightning in general. From my observations, the electricity now fades away in real time.

2) Alfira's alcove is a lot more decorated now. She used to just sit on a rock, now there's a proper tent and everything.

3) Harpies no longer pelt you with ranged attacks from the looks of it. They actually jump over to melee my characters instead of camping on that island of theirs. Either that, or I started the fight with most of my characters on high ground so they didn't even try ranged options. Whenever they were at range they just tried to spam Luring Song instead.

4) Some of the defenders upon arriving at the Grove at the first time now appear to have a larger list of spells.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/03/21 08:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
You should try another gameplay ...
Book of dead gods worked for me, maybe that was only local bug? O_o

BeeBee #761227 01/03/21 09:03 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I guess I can't help it. :-/
Personally, I have approached all enounters with the least risk (for example, with Auntie Ethel, I killed both redcaps and masks before the clash) ... but so far no surface battle posed a greater threat.
The Githyanki patrol was a little tougher than the others ... but they still managed to kill only one of the four characters.

I'm going to Underdark now, so I wonder what the ladies will look like.
(This last sentence was created by a google translator just because I made a typo in the word "Tam" (There) and instead wrote "Dam" (Ladies) ... but I love the wording, so I'll leave it as it is. laugh)

BeeBee #761238 01/03/21 09:55 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not that far into my new game, but the meogits on the ship now use aoe a lot and in the cave, where you can save the gnome druid, there are those watcher statues in the beginning of the Dungeon. First time, I entered that cave, my whole party got wiped, since it took me too long to figure out, where the save spots are. Now that I know, where the Watchers are, I just destroy them with arrows from afar.
Haven't gone to auntie Ethel yet, the fights in the blighted village seem unchanged, the spiders too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I don't know if it qualifies but when casting any spell with an upcast or selection, the spell description window is covering that smaller spell selection and also the top line of the hotbar. It takes a good second to disappear.

The selection window always appears even if there is only 1 level left, but if you don't click something from the selection window it will target a normal attack. Happened more than a few times to me.

The spell description box appears after cursor over, but it would be nice if that upcasting/spell-type selection bar would be foregrounded when you actually click the icon. Or just raise the spell description box so both are visible at the same time. Transparencies for those bars would also help. Not sure why they need to be blacked out really. Maybe that helps with the read, but even like 50% transparency would be nice with multiple windows opening it once if they're going to overlay like that.

In general I just wish I could move things around, so I could place the UI elements where its most comfortable, or for the windows I interact with constantly to be able to move those around. Also sometimes it I find myself wanting to open the inventory or char sheet while still viewing the character or scene. I wish I could move those around easily like other games with a grid overlay. I feel like a lot of nice advancements were made in the MOOs with stuff like that, and it would be cool to see some stuff like that here. Its also nice to be able to quickly hide all the UI elements, so we can try to navigate around just based on the visual cues and stuff presented in game instead of the heads up display all the time

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I didn't get Gale's weave scene on my patch 4 playthrough. I have never gotten it in any of my 3 playthroughs. frown

I got it on my first run, but I started a second run and it was suddenly nigh-impossible to trigger any camp scenes, so I eventually gave up. Yay Early Access.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Ghost King
I can confirm that so far as I have played I haven't gotten all the camp scenes as of yet. Didn't get the Gale mirror image scene at the very least. However, after Astarion feeds on you, you do get the scene with the camp the next day as it was intended. So kind of better, but it still needs work.
I'm having this too; I've had no camp scenes with anyone, beyond the ones that are scripted to follow after specific events (ie, Asterion and Gale's 'reveals')

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
Now that I know, where the Watchers are, I just destroy them with arrows from afar.
I wonder if you can use them to your advantage?
When you are sneaking, they ignore you ... but goblins never sneak. >:]

#761288 01/03/21 01:56 PM
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
So i waited a bit before giving this game a go. Im an old school pc gamer who remembers playing baldurs gate when it first came out, so i was a bit worried about larian handling this game. I liked divinity original sin for its tactics and i loved baldurs gate for its story. I was concerned about how well they would mix.

After about 50hrs invested into this game..here is some things i loved and some things that bugged me.

First, the bad

The first that bugged me...im sure we can all agree....is the damned camera. My characters have died more out of combat then in combat, because of the dang camera getting stuck, and not being able to get it reoriented, then the help action or spell selected fast enough.

Which ties into the next issue. The ui. What a freaking mess. It needs simplified.

The jump and shove mechanics. Hate it. Not the concept, but its implementation. In dnd, (and real life for that matter) you cant jump farther then you can walk. And its also tied to acrobatics skill (which larian didnt implement). And it seems the enemies get freaking super powers on this one. Minotaurs jumping 50ft straight up, landing for aoe, then charging, and melee attacking afterwards? They cant do this in dnd and even then their charge is a limited distance in a straight line only.
Solution to this issue:. Tie your shove and jumb ability to an athletics check plus strength bonus and dex bonus. That way you have to be deeply invested for this to work well.

This ties into something that is not necessarily a problem, but just something id like to see. The help action. Since we seem to be redoing how skills work, why not tie the effectiveness of stabilizing a downed companion to your medicine skill? As in they are revived with more hp if you have high medicine skill. Just a thought.

Wizards shouldn't be able to learn cantrips from scrolls. Not sure if this is a bug, but i makes wizards more powerful then they should be.

Rogues are missing expertise and some other goodies that make them...well...rogues. right now rangers seem to be able to be better rogues then rogues.

Last peeve..the companions

This is mostly preference but...i hate most of them.

shadowheart, i try to like her, but her writing is all over the place so her character breaks down and just ends up being annoying.

Asterion: hate him. I kill him first chance i get if i bother to get him at all.

Laizel:. Really... really wanted to like this character. But her writing is pretty one dimensional. Atleast my experience with her so far.

Gale: awesome character. His story is intresting, and his character comes off one way, but then grows. Well written.

Wyll: really like this character. Warlock done right. Good job larian

Encounters:. Encounters are pretty well done early on, but later they break down terribly. Constantly getting pitted against overwhelming groups of enemies that can multi attack, when you at best can get maybe 5 attacks from your party? It forces you to cheese to win. Its not impossible, but its definitely not dnd. Cant wait to see these better balanced later. (Fuck those minotaurs lol)

Resting: because of how you are managing resting, you are trivializing classes that benifit from being good to go after short rest. Warlock and circle of the land druid come to mind. There needs to be some risk when traveling back to camp and resting. This will force you to manage resources better and aid you in balancing encounters.

Initiative:. Maybe im dumb, but im having a heck of a time figuring out what is going on. I keep getting having characters getting skipped for turns. Ive had encounters where i have surprised the enemy. I get my attacks in. Then the enemy attacks, then only one of my characters goes, then enemies all attack again. Then the same character gets to go again. Then i realize that multiple characters can go on the same turn, but they are not auto switching when the first character is done. Took me awile to catch on to this. I understand this hybridization of party turns, and initiative rolls speeds combat up, but it is crazy confusing to keep track off. We either need to optimize this better, or pick one or the other. Im really not sure how to fix this one.

Ok, now that im done bitching, the good

Larian, the story is awesome. Doing a great job with main story and even minor npc character development. Well done! Id say overall, your character development is standing up better then original baldur's gate game's. Thats high praise from me, since when you announced this game, i was 100% certain that this would be the part you guys failed at.

Graphics and optimization...damn good job. Looks great. Butter smooth on my end even at 4k with a gtx 1080

Love the changes to ranger. Really makes this class shine.

Love the addition of druid. Looking forward to other classes (paladin, and artificer are high on my list)

Despite the earlier complaints...i do love that out of the box thinking is possible in this game and rewarded..you just need to balance it better.

Even though im pretty serious dnd player, and baldur's gate fan...im totally cool with larian tweeking the rules to better implement dnd ruleset into a crpg setting. I also understand that this is an early access title. So despite my complaints, i still think that larian is doing a great job. 5e is super complex to implement in this manner, and im looking forward to seeing it balance out.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. Looking forward to see what others have to say about the game

BeeBee #761293 01/03/21 02:06 PM
old hand
old hand
The AI certainly go for the Backstab a lot more often this patch

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
There's also just all around a LOT of new dialogue for druids in the Grove. I loved it.

Me too. Playing as a druid was very satisfying, I ended up more attached to that PC than any of the others I've rolled. Kudos to Larian.

BeeBee #761316 01/03/21 03:34 PM
A
A
Anders killed a full-health level 3 Lae'zel in one hit, which I never had happen in patch 3 ... and yes, noted the extra Guardians in the cave (really, Larian? All that work for a mediocre staff that's outclassed by the spear you should already have and that you can just get by taking a few points of fire damage?). Otherwise, have not noticed too much of a rise in difficulty.

Niara #761382 01/03/21 05:29 PM
veteran
veteran

Here's my question...

Why were NONE of these points in the actual patch notes... when they spent note space scrabbling for things to say and talked about fixing goblins peeing three times?

Good question

In one of the early promos Larian featured the head writer and she impressed me. I think they should bring her back to talk about the story and let the boys who want to laugh about how they are breaking the rules sit one out.

dwig #761408 01/03/21 06:33 PM
veteran
veteran

- flaming sphere is buggy. The RNG doens't work at all (never miss).
- flaming sphere can kill anyone on the map alone (tedious but possible, give the ennemies possibilities to fight it)
- the vision of ennemies is really bad. It'se not related to patch 4 but there are ridiculous situations where you are hidden 10m in front of a hostile group.
- the new surface spells that deals damages while walking on it (don't know the EN name - not entangle, the lvl 2 spells). The AI is completely stupid and my party died more than once crossing this surface after combats.
- not related to patch 4 but it's really bad that at the door of the goblin temple, goblins attack if you try to enter after failing your rolls. But if you find another way to enter just no one care you're inside. They should attack, please give us the opportunity to solve these quests with furtivity (save Halsin and kill the leader).
- you can't talk to the owlbear using wild shape. It works with the spell. That's a bit strange.
- the druid is way too interresting in group just because he can talk to animals for free. Please add an item like the one that gives "speak with the dead" to have free "speak with the animals". It's boring to talk with animals using spellslot and it will be even more when resting will be fixed. I don't think it's fair if you HAVE to have a druid to enjoy this mechanic. Everyone doens't plan to play more than once and it would be very sad not to enjoy this huge part of the game if you don't have a druid in your group.
- I didn't kill the mindflayer but the mindflayer show my face and tell Dror Ratzlin I killed him...
- the goblin's treasure is ridiculous. Something like 200 gold. I have more golds after killing a few goblins than this whole "army". The treasure at the end of a dungeon is supposed to be very interresting. Here it's a lot of golden chests with nothing inside them...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/03/21 08:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

- flaming sphere is buggy. The RNG doens't work at all (never miss).
I think it's the prediction in the UI that's bugged. Flaming Sphere is supposed to damage the enemy the same way shatter does, it's confusing because the UI tells the player they have a 40% to hit.

the prediction in the UI is bugged for other attacks/spells in the game at the moment.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 01/03/21 06:39 PM.
dwig #761416 01/03/21 06:51 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Moon Druid sucks compared to Land. The wild shapes are nerfed.

Why do I get a "Polar Bear" with 30 HP but Halsin still has multiattack and a brown bear with more HP?

gaymer #761499 02/03/21 12:19 AM
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by gaymer
Moon Druid sucks compared to Land. The wild shapes are nerfed.

Why do I get a "Polar Bear" with 30 HP but Halsin still has multiattack and a brown bear with more HP?
There's also the druid at the entrance to the grove. Maggran, I believe his name is. The one who turns into a bear. It says his hit points are 19 instead of 30.

Consistency with this kind of stuff is important. It's nice to feel like the rest of the world is operating under the same umbrella of rules.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I have a few major issues to report.

Firstly: Gales quest is gone. Just completely not there. At the party he talks as if I have given him artifacts to absorb, but I haven't. He never asked me to, and in fact I never had any cut-scenes with him at all. This has never happened before. Also he does not want to romance me. Which makes me sad. Even though his approval is "Very High".

Secondly: Wyll's quests still does not work, but it never did for me. He never tells me of Mizora, and pretends he never talked to Spike.

Thirdly: The underdark is a maze of crashes and corrupted save files for me. Ever since I went down there my game will crash regularly, and then the two newest save files I have made get corrupted, forcing me to load a decently old file every time. I think it has something to do with the Myconid colony, as that is where the majority of the crashes happen. One did happen back at camp however.

Fourthly (Is that a word?): Some good things. The burning inn now works for me. No crashes or corrupted files for the first time, and the quests can be completed. The top-side is generally much more stable now than it has ever been for me.

dwig #761641 02/03/21 03:17 PM
addict
addict
I couldn't find the gloves of the absolute among the goblins corpses anymore. Bug or left out on purpose ?
The raindancer staff cannot create water anymore, so it is just an expensive normal staff.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I had 0 crashes with earlier patches - I also went to the underdark briefly (after Zhentarim), then was OK (I didn't stray out into the Underdark, just stayed in the Zhent enclave down there to loot it, then back of the lift), then entered temple of Absolute (Gut's place). Then the crashes started. The games appear to save fine, but then when you load a game, it crashes part way through the load. I freed Volo...it was fine. Freed the prisoner being tortured. Save, load crash. Reloaded older game, freed Halsin, save, load crash. It seems that each time I now save after some combat, the game will crash when it is reloaded. I have a druid in the party - maybe it is related to the introduction of that class somehow...

Last edited by booboo; 02/03/21 03:38 PM.
dwig #761658 02/03/21 04:16 PM
I've had three CTD's now with the new patch and all in the early part of the game, just doing all the Druid Grove stuff. I never had a crash with the earlier version of the game, so this one does seem less stable. I haven't noticed any pattern for when it happens. Also no druid in the party, so I don't think it's related to the new class. The game always resumed on the last save, so at least the save files don't seem to be corrupted.

I've noticed some glitches with cut scenes not showing NPC lip movement here and there, but nothing else major. I'm getting the initial Gale and Shadowheart cut scenes at camp, not sure about the others yet.

I noticed the merchant pickpocket exploit is still there -- separate a rogue from the party, sneak and pickpocket only the merchant's gold and run away under stealth, the party takes the heat and gets off free. Same as DOS2, so I guess this is Larian-approved behavior. I thought they might patch that out.

ldo58 #761699 02/03/21 05:49 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ldo58
I couldn't find the gloves of the absolute among the goblins corpses anymore. Bug or left out on purpose ?
The raindancer staff cannot create water anymore, so it is just an expensive normal staff.

It kinda works if you have character than already cast the create water spell. Give it to shadowheart and one of the create water options becomes "recharges after rest". That's the rain dancer. This should be included in the description -- "allows druids and clerics . . . "

D
D
Yup, definitely crashes more than before. I've always had the game crash after too many (quick)loads (memory leaks?), but now the game sometimes crashes also when entering equipment/character screens. I've also had crashes where everything just stops, not even the crash reporter window opens afterwards, because even the launcher etc. just dies.

dwig #761741 02/03/21 07:56 PM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Patch 4 Evil Route Feedback

• Drow can't torture the prisoner, Spike leaves the room instead which means he doesn't introduce us to Minthara and we have to go find her ourselves.
  • When we find Minthara, there is still an option to say we tortured the prisoner even though we couldn't
  • Minthara still suggests that we speak to Priestess Gut to be healed even though that ultimately makes us hostile to the goblins. I think this dialogue line should be removed, its hard to think of a reason why we would side with the goblins after Priestess Gut tries to kill us.
  • The Grove was not prepared for the goblin fight after fast traveling back, I had to long rest first.
  • After killing everyone at the gate and grove, there is no indicator that we should follow Minthara into the tiefling cave, the quest should update to indicate this.
  • The druids don't avoid their own moonbeams and commit suicide frequently

ps. There's now some companion dialogue from Shadowheart when we approach the goblin camp again to try and explain why the goblins are hostile to us even though we sided with them.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
After seeing the below mentioned elsewhere I was thinking of having a set place to record new changes to the game that didn't get added to the Patch 4 notes. Please if we can let us refrain from debating if the changes are good or bad in this thread. I'd just like a list for people to be able to refer to. Note my patch messed up and I had to re-DL the whole game so I will not have time to get in and do testing myself till probably this weekend but I'll add more as well when/if I find it.

Starting off...
I've read that the Beastmaster Spider companion has been balanced and brought more in line with the others by dropping its HP from 32 to 12.
The Raven appears to also have been rebalanced with 10HP up from 1HP and had it's AC boosted to 16 from I believe 12.

P
addict
addict
P
I have noticed crashes happen a lot of times when pulling up vendors. I do think there might be some more memory leaks since this latest patch.

dwig #761827 03/03/21 03:43 AM
old hand
old hand
Shadowheart's ghost still hangs around to disapprove of my choices. delight I'm starting to actually enjoy it.

D
D
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I have noticed crashes happen a lot of times when pulling up vendors. I do think there might be some more memory leaks since this latest patch.
Especially when you start trading and then select another character. I had the game (P4) crash plenty of times now.

dwig #762072 03/03/21 09:56 PM
A
addict
addict
A
After playing for some time and the party hitting level 4, I have to say I have very mixed impressions about this patch. On the positive side, I like the druid implementation, buggy shapeshifting included. The new roleplaying options in the grove are well incorporated into the story and the utility of various shapes is fun.

But mechanically, the game feels more clunky and unpolished then before. The pathfinding ai of the companions remains as useless as ever, but with the added issue of this new "folllow jump" feature. Now the companions will occassionally harm themselves in my game. I can't even pinpoint what exactly is happening, but suddenly a companion will be lying prone & hurt next to a ladder or a cliff.

Inventory bugs out quite often, with issues I haven't encountered in previous patches. E.g. a character's inventory will become inaccessible, and the only way to fix that is to reload. I haven't used any mods in any of my previous playthroughs, so that is not a possible cause.

Cutscenes have all sort of graphical issues, usually due to weird actor positioning, that I haven't seen before. And this happens very often.

I also supect something is going on with companion dialogues, because despite spamming rest I only got two, both related to plot (dream caused and Gale's confession). Similar with non-party npcs. E.g. my party had to climb the stone next to the windmill, because walking on the road would cause all goblins to immediately go hostile. But standing on the stone they were suddenly willing to talk.

Z
Zas Offline
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by ash elemental
But mechanically, the game feels more clunky and unpolished then before. The pathfinding ai of the companions remains as useless as ever, but with the added issue of this new "folllow jump" feature. Now the companions will occassionally harm themselves in my game. I can't even pinpoint what exactly is happening, but suddenly a companion will be lying prone & hurt next to a ladder or a cliff.

Inventory bugs out quite often, with issues I haven't encountered in previous patches. E.g. a character's inventory will become inaccessible, and the only way to fix that is to reload. I haven't used any mods in any of my previous playthroughs, so that is not a possible cause.

Cutscenes have all sort of graphical issues, usually due to weird actor positioning, that I haven't seen before. And this happens very often.

I played patch 3 during 50 hours and patch 4 same time more or less.

I second that path finding AI is no better than it was in patch 3:
- characters don't avoid dangereous areas, or manage to fall/hurt themselves
- characters move a lot when collecting items at the same place (going one side, then another, etc...) this wasn't happening with patch 3

Not sure if related but:
- enemies sometimes get stuck and do nothing during the whole fight (they search for a move, but find none, and timeout somehow, very annoying)

I also second the inventory bug where one character has an empty inventory in Inventory pannel (but one can still access items from hotbar or equipment).

And finally I also experienced very weird cutscene cinematics, sometimes you see nothing but the leg of the character or the like...

Bugs:
- Kagha's key doesn't work.
- book in the crypt (near the crashed ship) is bugged
- sometimes dialogs stop and it isn't obvious you have to do something for it to continue (it looks stuck, but pressing space works and the dialog then continues)
- the goblin in cage near Priestress Gut disappeared from the cage
- picking locks use 2 picking tools
- disarm traps tools don't work (or I miss something)
- a character equipped with a torch has it in the back during dialogs, and the fire is on his ass...
- metal shield in goblin camp (near the goblin trader) is shown as wooden shield in the inventory
- only few shields (I could only find +2AC, one metallic, all others wooden)
- some weapons with existing profeciencies are almost impossible to find (darts?)

Wishes:
- a better battle AI, sometimes enemies are just coming one by one to get killed, instead of hiding and waiting for characters to come.
Also once the battle started, if characters hide well enough, enemies aren't actively searching for them, and just stay there.
- a way to distinguish story items from others in the inventory
- a library for books you find at the camp
- reading books should not close inventory
- jump should use remaining movement (if you jump far, it costs more)
- jump should not disengage, but disengage should be an action by itself (disengage then move, disengage then jump)
- in dialogs, one should be able to choose which character answers (and then use this character's attributes for checks)
- replace lock pick progress bar by a visual lock: visually break tools if it fails, visually open the lock in case of success
- the long rest option is weird: I'm deep in the Underdark, and suddenly I'm back to camp... at least, make a camp looking like surroundings characters are in
- random encounters: no merchants on roads, no one stealing or eating cadavers you left, no surprise attack when travelling or resting
- pile of books should contain books, barrels shouldn't contain anything but food or liquids
- equipement lack of visual variety (same specs, different aspect)

Overall, the game is definitively enjoyable, especially for an early access (I spent 115 hours on it, with different teams).
Keep going!

dwig #763500 08/03/21 06:13 PM
addict
addict
I know folks have been asking for more body styles in character creation and sliders. Mostly this would be a cool "nice to have" in the game. Here are my thoughts on this:

On of my favorite aspects of making a character in D&D is using my modifiers to create my characters appearance. Below are some recommendations to have from the PHB. I think it would be great to use modifiers to affect appearance.

High strength usually corresponds with a burly or athletic body, while low strength might be scrawny or plump.

High dexterity is probably lithe and slim, while low dexterity might be gangly, awkward, heavy, or thick-fingered.

High constitution looks healthy, with bright eyes and abundant energy. A character with low constitution might be sickly or frail.

For example, the body style would change once the character has:
  • +2 to con and +2 to str. (strong and broad)
    +2 to con and +2 to dex (lean and fit)
    -1 to str and -1 to dex (choice of scrawny or plump)

dwig #765767 18/03/21 10:36 PM
addict
addict
Patch 4: A Step in the Right Direction

Overall, patch 4 is an improvement from patch 3. A lot of small noticeable improvements added up to make the game slightly more enjoyable. Weighted dice, is by far better implemented than previous dice rolls. Druid is a nice addition, while changes have been made to the class it is still in a healthy spot in the meta.

Combat
  • Some, but not all, combat encounters have improved AI and it sped up combat encounters where this was improved.
  • Noticeably when raiding the grove fighting the druids was more engaging. However some enemies still have AI issues and run straight into the interior walls to never attack the player.
  • High ground advantage and low ground advantage have a minimal threshold. This improved gameplay a lot. It really highlighted the issues this brings for casters. I’ll make the same point I made in a prior post. High ground advantage forces the player to move their squishy characters into areas they would not otherwise. It does not make sense for magic to get advantage or disadvantage from elevation. And, the player should be allowed to zone with their squishy party members appropriately. The game would be a lot more enjoyable if players were allowed to play casters as intended.
  • I still wish for combat and combat related mechanics to be more true to the core rules.
  • I’ve been looking forward to out of the box solutions with combat. But Barrelmancy and superfluous spell scrolls are not engaging.
    Specifically I’m thinking of the fight where the player defends the grove from Minthara. Zevlor went ahead and buried oil barrels and the player has no agency in the preparation of this fight. There’s a whole hill that could be improved with better defenses, there are other items in the PHB that could come into play in this fight.
  • It would be nice to control your allies during either side of the fight. If the tieflings are on the player's side, let the player control them. If the goblins are on the player's side, please let the player control them.

Visuals
Spell buffs need better visual effects. I like most visuals in the game but these have been a sticking point for all of early access. So many of these are just drab. The constant pulse of these are not pleasing to the eye either. I hope these are placeholders, I'm just burnt out on seeing them. I've waited to post this feedback as I wanted to phrase it in the nicest way possible.
Bless reminds me of Warner Bros cartoons where after getting hit on the head a character would see birds or stars. I would be okay if it was only a visual on the portrait. I don't like the the animation for Bless at all.
Hex shows up on the warlock and it's target. The animation is a pulsing red/purple stain that reminds me of when a guest has spilled wine on my carpet. I don't know how else to explain how unappealing the animation for hex is.
Mage Armour & Shield of Faith are just white stains pulsing on the character. Again I'd prefer just a graphic on the character portrait with the animations on the character model removed. I don't want to use Mage Armour because it makes my character look ridiculous.
Armour of Agathys makes your warlock look like there is secretly a freezer underneath their armor. My character looks like they are more concerned with carrying Ben & Jerry's safely across Faerûn instead of getting their tadpole removed. I expected Armour of Agathys to look more like a pair of ice shoulder pads.

In conclusion patch 4 has been good, but has not addressed enough of the concerns with combat in this forum. I hope the visuals described are changed in a future patch, and improvements to combat are coming soon.

dwig #766105 21/03/21 01:03 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G
A couple of things....
1) From a Looter's Perspective (who want's the good druid ending at the grove), dang.....the Ritual area and Druid's Chamber got A LOT more difficult to ransack without setting folks off on a "Kill the foreigners" rampage/battle. Good job!!! (Just, can you please fix the bug with Korga's Key)
2) Found an....Interesting....visual glitch. To recreate:
Use Shadowheart's Disguise Self ability, or get Astarion, Gale, WIll, or Lae'zel that ability through leveling and have them use it to turn themselves into a dwarf or halfling (male or female doesn't matter) then, with your main character talk to them. Watch your companion do some weird straw man morphing. Also saw this effect when I had Will disguised as a female Tiefling.
3) The graphics are great, and getting better with each patch. Still, consider perusing the available mods and recruiting some of the Mod Authors onto your team. Two in particular would be A100N who's done spectacular work pushing your graphics into HD with their HQ World. And ANTEMAXX who has made some absolutely amazing outfits. (Their outfits prior to Patch 4 were significantly less "powerful", but no less pretty.)

Oh, yeah, 4) I see you added/activated a couple more Guardian Statues in the Druid Tunnels....Could you please, for the love of all that's holy, give us some way to avoid them that doesn't involve destroying the statues at range. (like wearing one of the Druid Circlets or maybe a panel or even the statues that we can use disable traps with).

dwig #766333 22/03/21 12:45 PM
veteran
veteran
I was hoping for combat improvements in patch 4. Once you know the story, you can still replay the game for the combat and to try out different classes and character builds. But the tactical combat still suffers from many issues.

Backstab is too easy and powerful. It could be turned into Flanking that gives +2AB and requires two attackers. So it wouldn't be the default attack mode that gives free advantage.

High Ground / Low Ground should similarily be a +2 / -2 swing at most. Even at +2/-2 it would still be a 4 point swing that would single handedly win fights. The real "advantage" of high ground should be that you can move back to break line of sight with those below after you attack rather than a flat attack bonus or penalty.

I was also hoping for a more robust Long Rest / Short Rest system that would be more meaningful and integrate the eating food part of the game.

And since we are not getting more story in EA, I would very much like new clothing / armor / weapon models, and class building options for replayability. Starting equipment to customize your character properly.

Level 5 would be nice too, since that's where the classes are starting to come into their own.

I agree we do need level 5 in the next patch as it would bring some more balance to classes. It would be nice to see a few more items for classes so you have a few options or at least a little more random loot options. +1 shield would be nice for shield users. The options for heavier armor choices. More class options also needed like a easy to impliment subclasses that dont require that much effort to add with little change like champion and some mage subclasses. As well would be nice to see barbarian and different body sizes. Body size limitations are disappointing when there is helsin whos basically bigger than your characters even when you have an 17/18 str fighter who should be far more buff than helsin. But you dont have that choice to be buffer and a barbarian would be nice to see. I am still on vote for paladin / barbarian as next class.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by acatlas
I agree we do need level 5 in the next patch as it would bring some more balance to classes.

Well... I think the classes are perfectly balanced. Everyone can shove into pits, make barrels explode, backstab and jump to high ground. No other abilities are required in this game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thomson
Originally Posted by acatlas
I agree we do need level 5 in the next patch as it would bring some more balance to classes.

Well... I think the classes are perfectly balanced. Everyone can shove into pits, make barrels explode, backstab and jump to high ground. No other abilities are required in this game.

Heh... sadly too true. Also, everyone can cast any spell with scrolls and wizards can learn spells from all other classes.

dwig #774797 29/05/21 06:29 AM
Im sure they will fix some of that as it gets further along but making sure all the classes are functional and work well into the story would be a priority I would assume.

dwig #806682 30/01/22 04:20 AM
addict
addict
Ngl the 1st ever playhtough i did on the 1st version of BG3 was flawless ( apart from hag encounter). Patch 4 made me interrupt the playthrought in the middle. Too many bugs and crashes(hobgoblin fight + selling certein items in town made me crash).

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard