Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Slavman Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I would love to see finishing moves for a critical d20. You could add a special animation, or a finishing blow when the enemy dies with a critical hit. Would add a nice touch to rolling a d20.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I haven't played enough to know if these are partially implemented, or partly bugged; but I've seen a couple of custom cinematics when spells have critically hit. I think it was Guiding Bolt and Witch Bolt.

S
addict
addict
S
Good idea. Critical hit/finishing hit animations/audio, would bring more variety to combat.

Other animations I would like to see worked on once more "important" stuff like making believable ladder-climbing giant bulls is done wink :

1. Dodge & block animations. Having dodge/block animation play when dexterity/shield is enough to make the difference between a hit and a miss. Would bring much needed variety - as well as somewhat placate the vocal critics of the RNG-nature of D&D, many who see outright miss as a personal defeat they are unable to change. This issue is partly why Larian is over-incentivizing tactical positioning like height and flanking.

2. Responsiveness to flanking. Flanking is a cheesy mechanic currently. Advantage is guaranteed and the way the AI are unresponsive to flanking reveals turn-based combat as an entirely unrealistic approximation of real combat. Having everyone automatically turn towards a *single* opponent threatening them would counteract this issue and bring some balance and immersion to melee combat. In effect, two people would be needed for flanking (one to grab the attention, the other to flank) unless the enemy is surprised.

3. One-handed spear animations. In D&D spears are versatile weapons that can be used one-handed with a shield or in both hands. Bring this back.

apprentice
apprentice
Dragon Age: Origins did something similar to that, where killing blows would sometimes get a special animation. I liked that. Tho sometimes it would look silly cause they'd stab someone with a mace or something 😬

old hand
old hand
I think these should be implemented but as a late stage thing, get every spell and type of attack into the game before adding finishing moves to each as polish.

veteran
veteran
I would on the other hand like to see crittical hit camera (dice sliced in half) being optional ...
When that animation ocurs, i usualy have no idea (read as: cant see) what is curently happening ...

It would be much better for me if that sliced dice just show abowe my characters, or targets head. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
G
addict
addict
G
If I could turn off the crit camera, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It slows down an already slow combat, doesn't help immersion, and doesn't give me useful information (I usually can't see what's going on, anyway). Just have some little fireworks go off or something without changing the view or pausing anything.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Along the same lines of a cool critical pose or animation, what if there was a prompt to take a screen shot? And then during load screens your "Crit Hit" photos would get shuffled in?

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I would on the other hand like to see crittical hit camera (dice sliced in half) being optional ...
When that animation ocurs, i usualy have no idea (read as: cant see) what is curently happening ...(

People were complaining about this in the first EA release, and it looks like Larian still doesn't know what to do with that sequence.

It's a little better in this most recent patch, at least the camera doesn't focus on a wall or something so you can't see anything. But I still don't understand what the game is trying to show me , in the 3 or 4 times I've seen it trigger in this new patch. They either need to get rid of it, or make it more obvious to the player what is happening.

veteran
veteran
I still cant see anything, since the actual action is happenin behind HUGE GOLD DICE. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
P
addict
addict
P
I still cant see anything, since the actual action is happenin behind HUGE GOLD DICE. laugh

Yeah I don\t know what is so hard about just keeping the die in the lower part of screen in the center, and not having it scaled so large that it blocks out the critical blow.

veteran
veteran
Yep, all i see is the giant dice. But I sure see that dice get cut real good though...so yay?

addict
addict
I would love to see variety of animations and a more realistic blood.

But instead we are getting the super mario jump.

veteran
veteran
Crits can be really weak in 5e so maybe finishing moves is more accurate. I don't want to see a massive animation sequence when I crit for 7. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
I would love to see variety of animations and a more realistic blood.

But instead we are getting the super mario jump.

What, you don't like literally leaping into action to ensure 95% hit chances in every combat?

K
stranger
stranger
K
Finishing moves similar to Dragon Age Origins* would be amazing! I missed that in Inquisition.

Also, isn't allowing the player that dealt the finishing blow animate it one of the coolest moments of DnD? I would totally put that into the game, even if it's just an option to enable/disable it.

Last edited by KingAziz94; 11/04/21 04:54 PM. Reason: corrected DA2 to DAO
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Slavman
I would love to see finishing moves for a critical d20. You could add a special animation, or a finishing blow when the enemy dies with a critical hit. Would add a nice touch to rolling a d20.

Although that would be awesome, unless they remove that stupid huge die that is displayed, you wouldn't see the animation anyways.

A
A
I'm guessing that's for a good reason. Because if the huge gold die wasn't there, they'd have to do critical-hit animations for every single character and every single weapon in the game, or at least 500,000 animations.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Adiktus
I'm guessing that's for a good reason. Because if the huge gold die wasn't there, they'd have to do critical-hit animations for every single character and every single weapon in the game, or at least 500,000 animations.
That's ridiculous. They just need finishing moves that are the same for class/general weapon type/general spell type. In other words, critical hits for every single fire spell could reduce someone to a pile of ashes, ice spells could freeze and shatter an enemy etc. (that can still be looted, D&D actually has rules for this, but with all the other changes rule of cool can definitely prevail here), one or two finishers per large weapon (decapitate someone with great sword, battle axe, etc., all the same animation) since the key is impacting the enemy in a huge way not so much the animation itself from your character. You'd need like, 10-20 animations.

veteran
veteran
If other games can do it, like Skyrim, why not BG3?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard