Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
At this point saying I'm getting discouraged about this game is putting it mildly. This patch seems like a fucking bummer from top to end.
I almost feel ashamed about the fact that I defended Larian when this was announced saying that I trusted them to have the talent to make a great Baldur's Gate sequel... Then again, it's not the talent that's missing here, it's the intent.

Frankly I'm sticking around just to chitchat sparsely about the game and share pointless opinions with other users, because I'm fairly resigned to the idea that nothing the community is being vocal about will matter in the slightest.
Hell, if anything Larian seems to be fond (possibly even PROUD) of all the "junk" they are injecting into the system and how it's effecting the flow of the combat.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RACKET75
I read the patch notes and there was no clear indication that they fixed the elusiveness of companion scenes during camp (e.g. Weave scene from Gale, Astarion star scenes, etc); In past iterations of the game, many players reported not being able to properly trigger/having difficulty in triggering companion specific scenes when calling it a night at camp; A lot of save scumming, camp spamming, and excessive experimentation was required from players in past patches as the game seems to only trigger companion scenes under very particular instances which made the chunk of the side story miss-able. It was also possible to finish early access by only using camp a couple of times, so this was reported by a number of players as they were missing a lot of story beats that would have made their playthroughs richer in quality.

I know the patch was only out a couple of hours ago, but would the speed runners among us care to share their experience on this past issue and advise whether this was addressed by Larian in patch 4? I believe they also removed the Tiefling camp party romance scenes during a hotfix last year; Was it already added back with better cinematics?

Im trying to avoid getting burnt out by the game during EA so I ideally would want to make a new PT only when this problem is addressed by Larian.

I got the "stars" scene with Astarion very easily, but I couldn't get the scene with Raphael. Maybe because it was a speedrun.

I also checked Astarion romance scene, the bug was fixed, but I see that half of the scene was cut again and maybe it is changed or improved, I do not know.
Larian was told that they "improved" the light, but now for some reason everything is too bright...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Niara #759894 26/02/21 10:54 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara
If it helps with the investigation (I've got other things I'm focused on right now, and also struggling with... eh... let's call it motivation):

In D:OS2, where you targeted on the enemy made a very important difference, since it measured how far away things were, and line of sight, based on your exact cursor point. Especially for skills that took their damage modifier off how far away your target was - you would often get substantially more damage if you could wrangle your camera/cursor to target the furthest away pixel on your enemy, and often whether you could hit something or not was a fight-the-ui game of seeing IF there was a pixel on the enemy that it would give you a clear line for.

If they have lifted the majority of their code base from that (they have), then it's very likely that it's measuring distance based on your exact cursor position on the model, so in the case where you and your target are close to the right distance/elevation apart, it will change based on where you aim.

Aaah eurojank

Optimistically Apocalyptic
#759981 26/02/21 03:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I know patch 4 released Druids but I was hoping that they would have added some of missing subclasses / features / spells from the Player's Handbook along with the Druid.

Cleric: Knowledge, Nature, Tempest, War Domains
Fighter: Battle Master: Many Maneuver, Champion
Rogue: Assassin
Warlock: Patron: Archfey Pact: Blade, Tome
Wizard: Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation
Too many spells to list but some really core ones like Spiritual Weapon

There are other features like Rogue expertise, etc too.

so we have a bit more stuff to test.

I am a bit worried that other stuff not being added / finished.

If what we have is all we are getting for the included classes, it's a really poor version of D&D 5e.

addict
addict
Is anyone still playing on Patch 3 to test?

I remember documenting dice rolls for this thread. Ratio of Dice Rolls
The result was consistent with the UI then.
(I was focused on getting as many normal rolls as possible for the data set).

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 26/02/21 04:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
So about Entangle -- it seems to last for only one turn, but the counter counts down at the start of the entangled character's next turn, meaning they're immediately untangled and the spell effectively does nothing.

It's a wasted spell slot to cast this on an area enemies are already inside. To be effective, you need to cast it on an area the enemy will pass through, as they then lose their turn of they fail the check.

Just for comparison, these are the differences from Entangle in the book:
1. 5e raw lasts up to 1 minute, is concentration. Actually Ijust realised I don't remember how long the effect lasts in-game because I deliberately set it on fire to burninate the intellect devourer held within it, I have to check. edit: Is concentrations, seems to be a minute-ish
2. 5e raw makes the effect area troubly walky, but only ensnares characters inside it when it is cast -- BG3 version also ensnares characters who enter into it. edit-addenda: BG3 version also can reensnare somebody who walks for too long inside the area.
3. 5e entanglement last until the character passes a strength check (costs an action to try) while in BG3 it lasts until the start of the entangled character's next turn.

So basically, presuming the duration issue is not intended, the BG3 version basically trades possible duration of the restraint for the possibility to entangle more creatures.

I think the duration issue may be because it might be coded as to just create a "thorny wine" (you know like we already had in-game prior to this patch, I can't remember the exact name of it) surface effect, and the existing thorny wine effect presumes that a character runs inside it it on their own turn rather than the effect being called on them on another character's turn.

Last edited by Dexai; 26/02/21 06:10 PM. Reason: checked as said, also more information

The workaround did not work (well, it did... but it didn't. Hard to explain), so I uninstalled GoG Galaxy and deleted the entire game... oddly, it would not allow me to delete the BG3x11 exe file no matter how hard I tried or what permissions I gave... so I have now reinstalled GoG Galaxy and am reinstalling BG3 in an entirely new location. Not sure if the wonkiness I have encountered had anything to do with it, but when I was trying the workaround last night and I played with the druid abilities the little popup windows (for selecting wildshape and one of the other abilities) would not go away once opened... no matter what I did. I tried going from area to area, triggering cut scenes, even long rest... they just stayed there. Anyway, when I'm finally done redownloading and reinstalling, I'll try again and post in one of the actual bug threads if it still keeps happening.

Last edited by The_BlauerDragon; 26/02/21 05:09 PM.
Scribe #760118 26/02/21 07:07 PM
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
• Wizard can still learn Cleric spells, since this is patch 4, starting to think Larian sees this as a feature and no a bug.
• Food still heals in combat and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Moving behind someone still gives advantage and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Higher ground still gives avantage for attacker and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.

This is depressing. No communication with the community on why, just a video tutorial reaffirming their stance.

Tuco #760126 26/02/21 07:23 PM
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Tuco
At this point saying I'm getting discouraged about this game is putting it mildly. This patch seems like a fucking bummer from top to end.
I almost feel ashamed about the fact that I defended Larian when this was announced saying that I trusted them to have the talent to make a great Baldur's Gate sequel... Then again, it's not the talent that's missing here, it's the intent.

Frankly I'm sticking around just to chitchat sparsely about the game and share pointless opinions with other users, because I'm fairly resigned to the idea that nothing the community is being vocal about will matter in the slightest.
Hell, if anything Larian seems to be fond (possibly even PROUD) of all the "junk" they are injecting into the system and how it's effecting the flow of the combat.

You and I butted heads so many times before the end of 2020. I am actually sad that resignation has set in (for both of us).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
• Wizard can still learn Cleric spells, since this is patch 4, starting to think Larian sees this as a feature and no a bug.
• Food still heals in combat and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Moving behind someone still gives advantage and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.
• Higher ground still gives avantage for attacker and since there a video tutorial for it, I expect that is here to stay.

This is depressing. No communication with the community on why, just a video tutorial reaffirming their stance.
These are all the worst aspects of BG3 so far.

If they think giving Wizards access to all spells is good and fun they have no clue how a class based system needs to work. Wizards are my favourite class and I certainly don't want them overpowered in this cheesy way. And if I play a Cleric/Warlock/Druid, I don't want Wizards to take away my unique class perks.

And since Backstab and High ground are so easy to pull off and game changing powerful, they are actually making tactical combat worse, not better. Something that you always do is not a tactic, Larian.

The food healing in combat is just utterly stupid as a concept, even. And again, makes healing classes worse.

S
addict
addict
S
What’s the point of Goodberry? Four 1d4 heals? Why waste a spell slot when you can find food that does the same thing?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
What’s the point of Goodberry? Four 1d4 heals? Why waste a spell slot when you can find food that does the same thing?
It'll be a good spell if they add survival mechanics or if they remove the ability to consume normal food in combat.
Though only 4 seems smaller than I remember it supposed to be able to do?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
It'll be a good spell if they add survival mechanics or if they remove the ability to consume normal food in combat.
Though only 4 seems smaller than I remember it supposed to be able to do?

5e rules you get 10 and each heal one point. The biggest feature is it feeds you for the whole day.

Now there are some exploits with one level of life cleric dip but we won’t go there.

Larian Goodberries should heal 1d4 and remove some negative effect like poisoned.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'll add my own observations after a few hours of the new patch (7 of my 108 hours), whilst trying not to repeat the OPs observations. As off writing I hadn't competed an Act 1 playthrough - I had to quit after Gale glitched outside the Temple during combat, preventing me from ending his turn and continuing - last bloody Gob to kill as well frown . Plus repeated attempts at the fight with the Woad things and Mud Mephits took up a lot of time(RNG still hates me).

Druid

So far I'm enjoying it, but I haven't played real D&D since 3.5, so no idea if it is true to the current rules. Not sure I like the idea of Shapeshifting with only 1 HP left, soaking up more damage then shifting back before going down - seems a bit of an exploit for me, but I'm sure some will make full use of it.

The new interactions with Nettie were welcome as after a couple of playthroughs I stopped bothering with her.

I got the Faithwarden reward without having to save scum the rolls, which was nice. Also, it's a faster route to the gauntlets from Zevlor than getting Halsin back.

Graphics
The climbing graphic looks a bit weird to me.

I had odd graphic glitches and weird lines displaying, but I'm using the DX-11 settings and my rig is around 5 years old.

Random Stuff
Can't pick the lock to Khaga's chest. Stealing the key won't let me open it either. Still got the quest resolved by fighting the Woad things and finding the letter.

Locks in the Blighted Village (particularly the Smithy) are no longer pickable. The key is easy to get though.

I think we really need an obvious button to cancel Concentration spells. I finished the swamp Woad thing fight (third attempt) with my PC dead inside a cloud created by Gale with around 3K turn before it dissipated. I couldn't rez her, my companions wouldn't jump away (it was on the bit between their island and the little one with the container), I couldn't go to camp and use the Lich/Undead fella either (wouldn't let me). Fortunately I could do the replenish spell with Gale and recast the cloud thing elsewhere and access Tav (I gave up renaming them). I had a similar issue earlier trying to get through my own Vines casting without taking damage. If there is an existing way to cancel a Concentration area spell, please make it more obvious to senile old farts like me.

I got caught out in the dungeon where you rescue the downed gnome druid. I usually enter through the external door after getting fed up with the protracted destruction of the guardian statue. Now the statue at that end shoots you as well. So after reloading and going in the old way via the prison and shooting the statue, killing the Gobs, I sent Astarion on his own over to get the key, as I have done for the past 5 or 6 play throughs. He died before I could jump back when the the new statues on the opposite wall all shot the crap out of him. The Gnome can bugger off.

I now go round the side of the Blighted Village and start the combat on my own terms. I noticed the sleeping Bug Bear now has 27 HP not 8 and I didn't one hit it with my Druid. Also during the subsequent fight when I was on top of the smithy my companions wouldn't move to a position to shoot the Gob inside the Smithy like they used to - they simply tried to shoot through the roof. My neighbour now thinks I'm an angry psycho.

I've still got a lot to play through for this Druid, but I'm a bottle of Yellow Tail Merlot down, so It might not go well.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
There's something very bugged with the preview.

I blinded Karlach to get advantage. We are on even ground.

If I aim at her body: 96% chance to hit
if I aim at her head: 80% chance to hit from the low ground, she must be a very tall woman!

Final outcome was correct: Advantage attack even though I aimed at her head.

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/n5eMkyK

addict
addict
That's good Saberem, thank you for confirming what I'm seeing with low ground prompts.

I haven't had the chance to test advantage similar to how Saito did (I've only focused on Low Ground). Hopefully I'll have time tonight to test more and keep documenting dice rolls.

Niara #760294 27/02/21 12:08 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
If it helps with the investigation (I've got other things I'm focused on right now, and also struggling with... eh... let's call it motivation):

In D:OS2, where you targeted on the enemy made a very important difference, since it measured how far away things were, and line of sight, based on your exact cursor point. Especially for skills that took their damage modifier off how far away your target was - you would often get substantially more damage if you could wrangle your camera/cursor to target the furthest away pixel on your enemy, and often whether you could hit something or not was a fight-the-ui game of seeing IF there was a pixel on the enemy that it would give you a clear line for.

If they have lifted the majority of their code base from that (they have), then it's very likely that it's measuring distance based on your exact cursor position on the model, so in the case where you and your target are close to the right distance/elevation apart, it will change based on where you aim.
I can buy into the idea code was brought over from D:OS2 for the UI. (Or it's the same programmer).

#760300 27/02/21 12:27 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I downloaded Patch 4 yesterday and played BG3 successfully. Today as I try and login it says it is updating (looks to be another huge file). Is there another Patch or is this some sort of mistake/bug?

old hand
old hand

#760354 27/02/21 03:47 AM
journeyman
journeyman
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

This is only my first run through post-patch 4 and I'm nowhere near done, but so far I have a few observations and requests.

Observations:
1. The Illithid dreams look fantastic now.
2. The Raindancer staff (from Aaron in the Grove) only allowed Gale to cast rain once, then it vanished from his spell list. Unequipping/reequipping didn't correct it.
3. I'm a little worried that Gale's approval is still borked. I'm pretty much at max approval but no Weave scene. In fact, it skipped the Go to Hell scene and went straight to the Mirror scene.
4. HOLY MOLY the Gith fight got a LOT harder.
5. Healing Pandirna in the storage building now no longer does anything. Is that on purpose?
6. Wow, all the new traps in the underground passage to the Grove... I could barely move after a certain point without getting absolutely hammered, but the goblins got in unscathed somehow. Is this a hazing? Because it feels like a hazing.
7. Thank you for fixing the pass phrase option when getting into the Zhent hideout!

Requests:
1. We can pick up so much stuff and add it to camp, but not chairs. I'd like to add some of the chairs I find to my camp. I mean, sitting in the mud is so undignified.
2. speaking of things for camp, how hard would it be to make clutter items (dishes, books, etc.) stackable? Because that would be cool.
3. Could there be some more faces to choose from? Please?

That's it for now. Having a blast so far. Thanks for making it great and letting us speak up as you go.

Artist, Writer, Poet, Crank
Art, poetry, and prose of a grim and unserious nature.
https://www.lrjonte.com/
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard